PDA

View Full Version : Crf 450

jackpunx
12-01-2003, 12:24 PM
IÂ’m thinking of picking this bike up.. Does anyone have one? Or any experience with this bike? I hear its the bike to get..
Thanks

RiverRatMike
12-01-2003, 12:34 PM
don't know anything about it but would like to know more. currently I have my eyes on a 2004 WR450F but I will also look at the CRF. I prefer a Yamaha over a Honda anyday but would like to check out the CRF also. Wonder if the CRF will ever come with a headlight on it?

sidewound
12-01-2003, 01:01 PM
You just need to save up and get a BIG one! hee hee hee!
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3371mod-med.jpg
No RICE around our place! We're strictly meat and potatoes people!
:D :D
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3371Vacation_03_105.jpg
Peace Man!:cool:
CESAR

FASTERDAMITT
12-01-2003, 01:08 PM
I'm ridin a XR650R now, but would do the CRF450 if it was a little more desert friendly. If you ride the track or short rides I would'nt hesitate at all.

jackpunx
12-01-2003, 01:58 PM
cool.. Im going to borrow my buddies 02 next week.. I just wanted to make sure before I purchased.. Ive always had a 2 stroke when it came to dirt..
BTW>..
Need to save up? .. :D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/943my_bike_back_shot-med.jpg

Tom Slick
12-01-2003, 02:05 PM
The 04 Honda CRF 450 is by far the best motocross bike built bar none. In lap time comparisons I was 2 seconds a lap faster on the CRF 450 then on any other 250cc 2-stroke or the other 2 450 4-strokes in the class. The motor is outstanding, as it is easy to ride, yet has tons of usable power. There is no gnarly hit in the mid range like the YZ450F, just a very strong linear powerband. They 3rd genration CR frame is so good now that you wouldn't even know it was an aluminum framed bike, with the exception of its responsiveness. You can simply point and shot and it goes exactly where you want. Believe it or not, the suspension and frame are actually very forgiving and the updated Showa suspesion is as smooth as butter in the roughest of terrain. It is very easy to ride this bike fast and save energy.
All of this is coming from a guy that didn't care much for 4-strokes and hated the aluminum CR's since day one. After ridding the 04 CRF450 I became a changed man.
Go buy one! :)

jackpunx
12-01-2003, 02:07 PM
thanks man!.. where you been?.. when are we going to Catalina again?

Havasu47
12-01-2003, 02:09 PM
I have only ridden the CRF 450 once, but Tom Slick is right on with my opinion. I have a CR 250 and if I converted to a four stroke it would be the CRF 450 without question.

Tom Slick
12-01-2003, 02:15 PM
Just been hanging around. Looks like "our" Catalina Express is in dry dock for awhile. We do need to do that run again though.
Your buddies 02 CRF is good, but the 04 is 100 times better. If you like your buddies, you'll love the 04.
Where do you ride?

jackpunx
12-01-2003, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Tom Slick
Just been hanging around. Looks like "our" Catalina Express is in dry dock for awhile. We do need to do that run again though.
Your buddies 02 CRF is good, but the 04 is 100 times better. If you like your buddies, you'll love the 04.
Where do you ride?
Yea.. Looks that way..
As far as riding.. I used to ride only track.. all over so cal.. but I hurt my knees and got into Karting.. (125shifter)..... Now Im getting the itch back.. :D
You should go to the Kart track w me one of these days..

Tom Slick
12-01-2003, 02:34 PM
You used to race karts, that is crazy. I worked in the karting industry for over 7 years. What are you driving?

jackpunx
12-01-2003, 03:02 PM
I got a TonyKart (mitox) with a Pevasi..?? (think thats how you spell it).. I have access to another Rotax too if you want to go.

Tom Slick
12-01-2003, 03:04 PM
Where did you get your kart from? I sold TonyKart for 7 years!

jackpunx
12-01-2003, 03:06 PM
Pitts built it.. (DJ) I purchased my rotax there too

Tom Slick
12-01-2003, 03:10 PM
That is too funny. What a small world. I haven't driven a kart in years. I would way rather moto. Grab your buddies bike and lets go to the track.

jackpunx
12-01-2003, 03:17 PM
Sounds good .. its been a while.. I will either borrow it this coming weekend or the next.. I'll shoot you a PM

beached 1
12-01-2003, 04:03 PM
If I remember right, the 04 CRF was at the top of the list in almost every catagory in the 4 stroke shootout by Cyclenews.
IMO, if you ride at a track most of the time, the CRF would be a good choice. If you do alot of hill climbs and stuff, the power of the Yami is best.

jackpunx
12-01-2003, 04:17 PM
I will be less track then the past.. most of my friends and family dont like the track like I do... Also its been a while.. I might get out on the track and decide its a little to intense.. I'll see about that one.. It seems pretty much over for me.. It will more than likely be the CRF instead of the Yami

77charger
12-01-2003, 04:37 PM
I rode an 02 an i thought it was just awesome i use to ride a cr250 and i thought the crf blows it away.I am thinking of getting one after riding it.

Tom Slick
12-01-2003, 04:48 PM
Quite frankly most guys aren't tough enough to utilize the power that the Yamaha has. In fact the mid range hit is so gnarly that it makes the bike almost uncontrolable and no fun to ride. The power just flat out wears the rider out. The handling is also sub par compared to the Honda. The chassis geometry is bad, causing the ride to have a stink bug effect. With all of the weight transfer going forward it makes the steering heavy and the rear end light. This not only causes problems in cornering, but also problems under exceleration. With the rediculous power and the light rear end the rear tire never wants to hook up or track straight. Not saying that these things can't be fixed, it is going to be a lot of work to do so. Don't get me wrong, I have been a huge fan of Yamahas for many years, In fact I currently own a YZ 250. All of there MX bikes are very good in my opinion, with the exception of the YZF450. If I had to lay down my pay check on any bike it wouls be the CRF 450.

RiverRatMike
12-01-2003, 05:29 PM
Yeah I'm sure the CRF is better but for reliablity I like to stick with Yamaha's. I've had Honda CR's XR's in the past and have nothing but problems with them. I've got a 1984 Yamaha TT600 that I have been riding since 1987 and it is a incredible bike! Just a little on the old and heavy side now and need to upgrade! I've beaten the crap out of that TT and it just still keeps kickin! But if Honda would come out with a desert 4 stroker like Yamaha has for years now I might have a second look.

Wicky
12-01-2003, 05:39 PM
In a drag race I will take the CR or the YZ over your 4bangers.
In all out fun I will take the CR or the YZ.
If the 450 is so great why did RC spank it on his CR250??
The power to weight of the two stroke can not be duplicated by a 4 stroke. 2strokes forever!!
IF there were no restrictions you would ALL still ride a 2-stroke!!!

RiverRatMike
12-01-2003, 05:54 PM
yeah two strokes are great. I agree I like both 2 and 4 strokes.

Tom Slick
12-01-2003, 06:03 PM
Hey Wicky, you seem kinda wacky. J/K:D You may want to re-check your facts dude. The new 450 4-strokes not only have more power, but are now faster than 2-strokes. It is a damn shame too, because I am am a huge fan of 2-strokes and preferred riding them over 4-strokes, but because the rules allow you to ride the 450 4-strokes with the 250 2-strokes you need to change up. Like they say if you can't beat them, join them. It is true that RC kicked ass on his CR last year, but I believe it was Windam to the first turn in front more times then not and he was on a 450. By the way, had Ricky not hurt his ACL, you would have seen him line up at Anaheim on a CRF 450, as he was already testing one before he hurt himself. RC will be on a CRF 450 at this years outdoor nationals for sure.

lovemyultra
12-01-2003, 06:48 PM
Im no authority but my neighbor just bought one last weekend and couldnt believe how bad ass this bike was he has an 03 YZF450 and an02 CR250 in his garage but keep in mind this guy is hard core so I dont know how much regular riders would be able to tell the difference

BALLSDEEP
12-01-2003, 06:52 PM
I have an '03 CRF 450, and I wouldn't trade it for the world. The reason this bike was so appealing was that I could go to Glamis with it and not worry about siezing it, or I could go to the track and have fun or even go to the desert. Not to mention the maintainance is minimal, no top end to worry about every six months . Just change the oils and filter and you are good to go. All of my friends have 2 strokes, and they are great, but I think overtime they are going to be the thing of the past. Stick with Honda's, not trying to bash anyone else, but I ave a friend who has an '03 YZF 450 and the thing is still a pain in the ass to start when hot. I have heard the new '04 CRF's are sick. The magazines all speak really highly about them. This year, I know they come with a set of Renthal handel bars and the shaved quite a bit of weight off of them.
The only other bike I would look at is the new KTM 525. it has an electric start, it's 75cc's bigger and only about $500 more than the Honda. My friend just bought a new one and the bike rocks.

RiverRatMike
12-01-2003, 07:12 PM
it's going to be all Chad Reed next year you just watch.

RiverRatMike
12-01-2003, 07:14 PM
I'd still go with the YZ450F over the CRF450!
Originally posted by BALLSDEEP
I have an '03 CRF 450, and I wouldn't trade it for the world. The reason this bike was so appealing was that I could go to Glamis with it and not worry about siezing it, or I could go to the track and have fun or even go to the desert. Not to mention the maintainance is minimal, no top end to worry about every six months . Just change the oils and filter and you are good to go. All of my friends have 2 strokes, and they are great, but I think overtime they are going to be the thing of the past. Stick with Honda's, not trying to bash anyone else, but I ave a friend who has an '03 YZF 450 and the thing is still a pain in the ass to start when hot. I have heard the new '04 CRF's are sick. The magazines all speak really highly about them. This year, I know they come with a set of Renthal handel bars and the shaved quite a bit of weight off of them.
The only other bike I would look at is the new KTM 525. it has an electric start, it's 75cc's bigger and only about $500 more than the Honda. My friend just bought a new one and the bike rocks.

beached 1
12-01-2003, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by Wicky
The power to weight of the two stroke can not be duplicated by a 4 stroke. 2strokes forever!!
I am a big fan of the smokers but my WRF is a much better bike where I ride.
As for RC, we all don't ride like he does. The Thumpers are more forgiving (Honda being the most forgiving in fact). ie: you don't have to shift as much etc. I can ride most tracks (or trails) in 3rd gear all day. Don't need to brake as much either due to the decompression braking.
As for the people Poo pooing the Yami power, it's just a thing you have to get used to. It's actually a real pal when you get into trouble on a big rutty hill.
nevertheless, there is no need to ban 2 strokes. It's a Gov/ Special interest leftist geek conspiracy if you ask me.. :yuk:

Jrocket
12-01-2003, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by RiverRatMike
it's going to be all Chad Reed next year you just watch.
You better hope his dislocated shoulder heals up and quickly!

Jrocket
12-01-2003, 08:21 PM
Honda flat out has the best fit and finish.Their quality is second to none.It all comes down to how you feel when you sit on the bike.Almost everything can be changed,suspension,motor,ergomonics but you cant change the feel of the bike when you sit on it.
I'd go with the CRF450R,but I bought the CRF250R instead.:D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/232Junk_050-med.jpg

HP350SC
12-01-2003, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by jackpunx
cool.. Im going to borrow my buddies 02 next week.. I just wanted to make sure before I purchased.. Ive always had a 2 stroke when it came to dirt..
BTW>..
Need to save up? .. :D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/943my_bike_back_shot-med.jpg
Jackpunx- Here's my rice burner....wanna race?

RiverRatMike
12-01-2003, 10:33 PM
nice CR but still like the Yamaha's a ton better!

OGShocker
12-01-2003, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by FASTERDAMITT
I'm ridin a XR650R now, but would do the CRF450 if it was a little more desert friendly. If you ride the track or short rides I would'nt hesitate at all.
Same here. i have a 650R and love it! Whatever you do ask a lot of folks about the CRF450. Quick as all hell but not a bike that will carry you down the sand washes at 100MPH for hours. Try calling the boys at Baja Designs (http://www.bajadesigns.com/) , they know thier stuff!
Good luck,
OGS
PS. never take advice on desert riding from a guy in Iowa.:D

Big Swizzle
12-02-2003, 04:48 AM
I rode one this weekend. The electric feel of the power is cool. The only thing I have heard is one of the years (I think 02) has a problem with valve stretch. Check into that because you will have to replace them for around 600 beans.

jackpunx
12-02-2003, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by HP350SC
Jackpunx- Here's my rice burner....wanna race?
Yea.. I'll race ya.. :D lets do a triathlon Boats Dirt bikes and street bikes.. :D
2 out of 3 wins
BTW,
Thanks for all the feedback.. IÂ’m going to borrow my buddies 02.. But Im sure that I will purchase the 04.. IÂ’ve asked lots of people IÂ’ve owned Kawi,Yami,Hnda all 2 strokes.. IÂ’m ready to jump up and go thumper......

Wicky
12-02-2003, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Tom Slick
Hey Wicky, you seem kinda wacky. J/K:D You may want to re-check your facts dude. The new 450 4-strokes not only have more power, but are now faster than 2-strokes. It is a damn shame too, because I am am a huge fan of 2-strokes and preferred riding them over 4-strokes, but because the rules allow you to ride the 450 4-strokes with the 250 2-strokes you need to change up. Like they say if you can't beat them, join them. It is true that RC kicked ass on his CR last year, but I believe it was Windam to the first turn in front more times then not and he was on a 450. By the way, had Ricky not hurt his ACL, you would have seen him line up at Anaheim on a CRF 450, as he was already testing one before he hurt himself. RC will be on a CRF 450 at this years outdoor nationals for sure.
You are probably right TS!!! But, an 03CR next to an 03CRF the CR wins!!
04 is a different story I guess.
There will be no further development for improved factory horsepower in the CR250s future. The market has been crushed by the econazis.
I love the smell of two stroke oil burning in the morning.
Yea.. I'll race ya.. lets do a triathlon Boats Dirt bikes and street bikes..
2 out of 3 wins
I'm in......can I borrow somebodys street bike? No preferences. Suzuki, Kawi, Yami, Honda, they're all good when you have none.
Mow,
Wicky

jackpunx
12-02-2003, 11:41 AM
I guess I could poor a little castor on my pipe overtime I go out and wait for it to burn off?.. :rolleyes:
I love that smell too..
:D
Oh well.. I guess the trade off is .. I can siphon gas from my truck

Wicky
12-02-2003, 11:48 AM
I guess I could poor a little castor on my pipe overtime I go out and wait for it to burn off?.. :rolleyes:
I love that smell too..
:D
Oh well.. I guess the trade off is .. I can siphon gas from my truck
Classic!! People ask me why I didn't buy a Diesel truck. I answered "Because of the tradeoffs" I can rob fuel from the truck to fill the boat or the bike out in the middle of the desert and vice versa. Diesel just didn't fit into my gameplan.
Wicky

Ziggy
12-02-2003, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Wicky
Ok, I'm the old school sorta rider...in other words I raced MX in the days when 4" of suspension was the norm. Carlsbad Raceway was my regular stomping grounds and Brad Lackey was my hero. :cool: I rode mostly 2 strokes back then but switched to 4 stroke(XR500) after the early multilink suspensions came out. Talk about a difference, wow. I would litterally walk away from the 2 bangers on the uphills and struggle to keep position on the rest of the course.
Each engine has its pros/cons but the new YZF and CRF engines are worlds ahead of the old heavy predecessor 4 strokes. If it was up to me I'd have both 2 and 4 bangers for each application.
I'm a 4 STROKE believer but own nothing but 2 strokes these days, pair of Banchees, older YZ250 and a brand new Polaris90 quad for the daughter.....can't beat 2 stroke simplicity when it comes to rebuild time

prosthogod
12-02-2003, 04:17 PM
Jrocket, I have had an xr400 for years and am thinking of going with the crf250x, the 450 is awsome but scary fast at times. What made you choose 250?

Jrocket
12-02-2003, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by prosthogod
Jrocket, I have had an xr400 for years and am thinking of going with the crf250x, the 450 is awsome but scary fast at times. What made you choose 250?
I ride the 125cc class.Ive never been a big fan of Honda because of their lack of contingency and racer support in the past.They have always made a good quality bike but never help the racers with pay outs.Now they have started to help more and the CRF250R is one awesome bike.I would race the 450 but at my size the 250 suits be better.My lap times are better on the 250 on short courses and close to the same on longer ones.Im lucky enough to get to ride alot of different brands and bikes,and the CRF250 is what I chose.
If I can get a CRF450 street legaled,Ill have one of those too.:D

jackpunx
12-03-2003, 09:17 AM
I hear there is a motorcycle show next weekend.. Do you guys know if they sell bikes there? like a boat show.. (good deal)?..

Tom Slick
12-03-2003, 09:28 AM
jackpunk,
I don't belive that any sales go on at the show, hoever all of the manufactures are present and local dealer salesman work those boths. They may work you a deal, but you would have to finalize the deal at the dealer the following week. Be sure to get any deal in writing before leaving the show, because most of those saleman seem to leave there memory at the show.:D If you want a good deal on a CRF 450, you may want to consider buying one out of state. A lot of dealers in cold climates are just sitting on them until Spring time when things thaw out a bit. I heard a dealer in Nevada has some good deals. PM me for more details.

Waldo
12-03-2003, 11:49 AM
My experience as a previous owner of both Honda's and Yamaha's is that Honda's are BY FAR more reliable. My dad works at a Yamy, Honda, Kawi, Suz, dealership. They see 10x more 4-stk Yamaha's than 4-stk Honda's in the service department. A lot of bottom end issues with the Yamaha's. Of course, this isn't true for everyone's Yamaha or Honda. There is always exceptions.
Comparing RC on a CR to him or someone else on a CRF is crazy. Get both bikes and ride them yourself and see. Elsinore MX used to have a track timer there for a few bucks. Don't know if it still goes down but might be an option. Just because RC is faster on the CR doesn't mean that bike is better. We are not RC and we will never be!!!
RC is out this SX year w/ a torn ACL. Chad Reed is out with a dislocated shoulder. He is trying to make it back before Anaheim.

jackpunx
12-08-2003, 10:17 AM
So I borrowed the bike for the weekend.. My buddy has 20 acres of land between Gorman and Lancaster.. It did not rain at all this weekend.. He just got his second tractor so we started to build the big track.. This guy has a well with a 4000 gal tank.. He has it plumed with water for the kid track.. We ran fire hoses out to where we were building the jump.. and he decided that it was to much hassle.. So now he is going to buy a water truck. This guy is living his dream.. Pretty cool.. The first thing we built was a 50 foot table top..
As far as the bike, I love it.. I have always had a 2 stroke so its a bit different as far as where to grab the power.. I will be getting the 04 in the next couple of weeks :D
Me
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/943me2-med.jpg
Mehttp://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/943me4-med.jpg
THe guy that ownes the land
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/943mark4-med.jpg
Starting the jump
My other buddy
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/943Mike_going_big-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/943building_tabletop2-med.jpg

JetBoatRich
12-08-2003, 10:26 AM
we went riding out that way yesterday:D
My friends dad owns 20 acres in Neenach (just shy of Gorman) on the hillside. All kinds of tracks out that way. We took the RV out there a couple weeks ago and camped and rode all weekend.
:eek:

jackpunx
12-08-2003, 10:30 AM
I was really impressed with the area.. I left fri night and we stayed in his RV for the weekend.. Does little rich have a bike?.. Our little one has a crf50 and all his and other guys kids have bikes too.

JetBoatRich
12-08-2003, 10:34 AM
I was really impressed with the area.. I left fri night and we stayed in his RV for the weekend.. Does little rich have a bike?.. Our little one has a crf50 and all his and other guys kids have bikes too.
I bought Little Rich a new DRZ-110, he loves it. I am looking at bikes for my Daughter now, she wants one real bad for XMAS. Probably go with a 125 for her. We had about 8 bikes and quads out there yesterday. Kids and adults riding all over.