PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts on the new Trident Deck!

superV
12-01-2003, 01:07 PM
Just looking for some opinions on wes new boat. I really have enjoyed following the progress of the company and really think wes is a top notch guy with a good eye for detail by the looks of some of his projects i've seen, but I must say for me the new boat has a "seadoo boat" look to it with the interior and what not. Maybe when I see one in person I will feel diff. but as of right now im just not felling it. I know the name is Revolution hince the spacey design but for my it really come's off as seadoo looking :(
Although I do not compare the two otherwise.I do belive it is a true performeance boat and what appears to be very well crafted with sweet hardware.(Please dont take offense Wes as I still have not seen the boat). One thing I will say is it cutting edge with some awsome feture's. I think the main thing for me is the interior look, is it rubber? Anyways just looking for some others .02... Keep up the good work Wes! And please all remember "Different Strokes for Different Folks";)

superV
12-01-2003, 01:16 PM
Dave,
What is the interior like have you seen it? Is it rubber or what?
So did you just say you like Wes back end:rolleyes:

spectratoad
12-01-2003, 01:22 PM
Well I have to say that being a die hard CJ2A & CJ5 owner for years I didn't like the new Jeep at all and thought they were going to go out of business for sure and than I bought one of the new Jeeps a few years back and loved it.
I think the boat is very different from the norm. As of today not my style but the more I see the picture pop up here on my screensaver it is looking better everytime. It has alot of the qualities that everyone looks for and seemingly a person and company that will stand behind it. That right there usually counts for 80% of my reason to purchase.
I think Wes will deliver a good product. It is a little SeaDooy in looks but I think it will more than set itself apart when the real item rolls out.

Lightning
12-01-2003, 01:30 PM
I don't think it looks SeaDooish at all. The one thing about all the photos that may make it look that way, IMO, is the lack of graphics in the current release of photos. When you actually see the mold in person and then look at the model and photos up close - it all comes together. Once there are some photos released with graphics I think it may change your opinion. You can take most boats and leave them all white - they'll look like a SeaDoo.
As far as the interior, the materials are going to be the same or better than what is used in the industry. The process of making the interior will be the difference.
There are SeaDoo "Boats" on far left end of the boat spectrum - customs and semi customs in the middle - and then there's the Trident on the far right end.

Froggystyle
12-01-2003, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by superV
Maybe when I see one in person I will feel diff...
C'mon down! Check out the plug.
Actually, this is an invitation to anyone who is interested. If you would like to see first hand the progress we are making, and check out some of the reasons for the design, execution or whatever, just drop me a line and I would be happy to show you everything.
The interior is not made of rubber. The pics you have seen are of a 4' long scale model of the boat itself. The seats in that are a hard poly "foam" that feels more like light wood. It sands very easily, and is easy to work with. We were just getting a feel for the shapes of everything, and working out the details of the configurations. The actual seating material is no different than the best manufacturers are using today. The way we are building them, and the material used to construct the bases and buckets is very different though. All in all, it will feel like a very well designed seat, and should last considerably longer and fit better than one built with standard construction methods.
I see to a degree where you are coming from on the Sea Doo reference, but when you see this thing in person, it is pretty far from your mind. For one, it is about 27' long without the billet swim step. I think that anything that is a little more swoopy is going to get that kind of a comparison, but there is a lot of strength in curves. We used them everywhere both for styling and strength.
I appreciate all input on the Revolution. Lots of features have been added and refined because of input from forum members, and some items have been deleted for similar reasons.
Thanks for paying attention, and I really do appreciate the input.

superV
12-01-2003, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Lightning
I don't think it looks SeaDooish at all. The one thing about all the photos that may make it look that way, IMO, is the lack of graphics in the current release of photos. When you actually see the mold in person and then look at the model and photos up close - it all comes together. Once there are some photos released with graphics I think it may change your opinion. You can take most boats and leave them all white - they'll look like a SeaDoo.
As far as the interior, the materials are going to be the same or better than what is used in the industry. The process of making the interior will be the difference.
There are SeaDoo "Boats" on far left end of the boat spectrum - customs and semi customs in the middle - and then there's the Trident on the far right end.
I feel ya and hear what your saying but for my the seadoo look has nothing to do with it being white(I happen to love a white boat) its more of the over all lines and interior.As far as it being on the right side we will have to wait and see.;) But whatever the case im sure wes will do well. To me it looks very production like but im keeping an open mind like you said you have to see everything to really get a grasp on it.And as far as the interior it does not look like what is being used these days in anything but the seadoo to me. Come on Wes tell us is it rubber or not?:D

superV
12-01-2003, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Froggystyle
C'mon down! Check out the plug.
Actually, this is an invitation to anyone who is interested. If you would like to see first hand the progress we are making, and check out some of the reasons for the design, execution or whatever, just drop me a line and I would be happy to show you everything.
The interior is not made of rubber. The pics you have seen are of a 4' long scale model of the boat itself. The seats in that are a hard poly "foam" that feels more like light wood. It sands very easily, and is easy to work with. We were just getting a feel for the shapes of everything, and working out the details of the configurations. The actual seating material is no different than the best manufacturers are using today. The way we are building them, and the material used to construct the bases and buckets is very different though. All in all, it will feel like a very well designed seat, and should last considerably longer and fit better than one built with standard construction methods.
I see to a degree where you are coming from on the Sea Doo reference, but when you see this thing in person, it is pretty far from your mind. For one, it is about 27' long without the billet swim step. I think that anything that is a little more swoopy is going to get that kind of a comparison, but there is a lot of strength in curves. We used them everywhere both for styling and strength.
I appreciate all input on the Revolution. Lots of features have been added and refined because of input from forum members, and some items have been deleted for similar reasons.
Thanks for paying attention, and I really do appreciate the input.
Thanks for the reply Wes I see how it could look that way now that you have explained it!:wink: Keep up the good work...

dimarcobros
12-01-2003, 01:45 PM
Are there any pics of the boat?
DMB

rivercrazy
12-01-2003, 01:47 PM
It looks like it will be a great party platform indeed. Lots of interior and floor space.
As I am not in the market for a deck boat, my opinion on the rest of the package would not be meaningful.

superV
12-01-2003, 01:48 PM
http://www.tridentboats.com/trident/revolution/Features1.jpg
Try this!

superV
12-01-2003, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by rivercrazy
It looks like it will be a great party platform indeed. Lots of interior and floor space.
As I am not in the market for a deck boat, my opinion on the rest of the package would not be meaningful.
This is no time time to be P.C.:D Speak your mind?

rivercrazy
12-01-2003, 01:58 PM
All I was trying to say is deck boats are not my cup of tea. At least for my own personal boat. I had an open bow before and got tired of being water taxi! Nothing but closed bow boats for me! :D :D :D

TRG
12-01-2003, 06:40 PM
with all do respect! it looks like a "LEGO" boat, not tryin' to be funny... it looks as though you snap everything together!...but then again, im not too into anything newer that 80' thanks for asking! todd

Froggystyle
12-01-2003, 07:11 PM
Here's me... trying to keep a straight face.
Lego's?
Everyone realizes this is a model, right?

Mandelon
12-01-2003, 07:16 PM
P - R - O - T - O - T - Y - P - E ;)
Main Entry: pro·to·type
Pronunciation: 'prO-t&-"tIp
Function: noun
Etymology: French, from Greek prOtotypon, from neuter of prOtotypos archetypal, from prOt- + typos type
Date: 1552
1 : an original model on which something is patterned : ARCHETYPE
2 : an individual that exhibits the essential features of a later type
3 : a standard or typical example
4 : a first full-scale and usually functional form of a new type or design of a construction (as an airplane)

TRG
12-01-2003, 09:11 PM
what I meant was the seating, but if you don't really want to hear an honest opinion then don't ask.... I'm sure your design will do just fine but its not exactly what I am into as I (explained above) I do realize it is a model. If you can't take contructive criticism then don't post for options.
Todd
;)
P.S. Mandelon - glad you are able to use a dictionary! Good for you!

Coach
12-01-2003, 09:33 PM
Based upon everything I have seen and read about the boat I love the looks of it. I think it looks different than all the other deck boats out on the market. The front step loader thing (didn't know what else to call it) is a great idea. I love to go boating in the winter but hate haveing to have people climb in the front of the boat all the time (no matter how careful I am the gel coat gets scrated). The dual jet is the big selling point for me. I love jets and have seen the R&D set up on a Renegade boat already. The only thing that is the draw back it the price. I am like most guys and can in no way justify $100K for a boat unless I win the lottery.

sandblasted
12-01-2003, 10:00 PM
I think I may have made the 1st "Sea-Doo" reference on these boards right after the unveiling party...My comment was aimed more at the shape and style of the engine cover. I'm partial to having a nice flat engine cover that people can lay out on....As Wes pointed out in that thread, there is a ton of room designed into the boat so perhaps there is no need for the engine hatch as another lounging area....
As some have pointed out, this is just a model...I'm looking forward to seeing the real thing, especially on the water.:D

superV
12-02-2003, 06:35 AM
Dang! I opened a can of worms...:( Sorry if I rainned on your party before it even started Wes!:( ;) I was just looking for some others input. I think the main thing to remember is this is not the real deal yet so until I take my 1st ride in one I will keep my thoughts to myself.Lord know's how a harmless thread about a boat maker can go bad in 2 sec. flat around here. Atleast im not the only one to see that 485 views and only 18 replys tells me that.:D

bigq
12-02-2003, 09:01 AM
Same here, I really like the looks and the dual jet setup with the motor package sounds sweet, but 100k for boat I could not live with, i want to drive it and my crazy kids jumping all over a 100k is not my idea of fun, I'll need to wait for the slightly used version.
BTW, great job Mr. Wes and congratulations.http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/happy/1/happy34.gif

beyondhelpin
12-02-2003, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by sandblasted
I think I may have made the 1st "Sea-Doo" reference on these boards right after the unveiling party...My comment was aimed more at the shape and style of the engine cover. I'm partial to having a nice flat engine cover that people can lay out on....As Wes pointed out in that thread, there is a ton of room designed into the boat so perhaps there is no need for the engine hatch as another lounging area....
As some have pointed out, this is just a model...I'm looking forward to seeing the real thing, especially on the water.:D
I gotta agree with you on the engine cover. Although there is a lot of room throughout the boat, the people I boat with all hang out on the back of the boat talking, drinking and swimming. I think that is an area that ought to be rethought or at least have an option for a sundeck instead of the hard cover.
As for the interior, I like the layout but the model seats looks to Lego like (chiseled). Up until now I thought it was a full size prototype not a model.
Wes from the looks of the boat I think you have done a great job for the most part. Yes I would consider a deck boat a possibility. I have always owned closed bow boats but they are starting to feel crowded. They always have been but now I am starting to want a little more room.
I cant wait to see if the boat turns out to be a stable fast platform as advertised. I applaud you for sicking your neck out into uncharted waters in your design. If more builder where like you I think we would have substantially superior boats than we currently have now in the market. They boat market has been pretty stagnant in the innovation arena.
Good luck and listen to what your potential customers tell you! I think you have a winner in the making.

HavasuBarney
12-02-2003, 09:54 AM
I got a good chuckle out of those first Sea-Doo comments, I got an even bigger laugh when I was behind one on the road and saw the dual jet. :)
It kinda takes me back to when DCB was first breaking new ground in the market, I remember the jokes about who is he kidding with those weed-wackas. DCB is also the only "CUSTOM" boat builder that really doesn't let the customer decide on many set-up options. Dave has done enough of these boats to where he dictates the type of set-up the boat should have rigs the boat without giving the customer the option to make easy set-up changes. (I am talking mainly OB's here)
I see and here a lot of similarity to what Wes is doing to what DCB has all ready done. IMO, DCB revolutionized a marketplace.
I too, look forward to seeing the boats first hand and can't wait for the next Revolution to begin.
I have a feeling Wes will get the last laugh here. :)

Keith E. Sayre
12-02-2003, 02:46 PM
While I don't know anyone at Trident Boats nor have I seen the
literature except for the photo posted on Hot Boat--I say hats off
to you for your efforts!
I've seen about 15 new companies in the west coast performance
boating industry in the last 10 years and about 2 of them have
impressed me with something new. The rest are merely making
a run at it without contributing anything out of the ordinary.
I see some cool things on the new Trident deckboat and I hope
that you come up with a winner! Good Luck!
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats
Lake Havasu City
928-680-1400

Ziggy
12-02-2003, 04:42 PM
I've only seen the pics posted here and do like it overall. But like anything new into a marketplace, some attract right from the get-go and others have to let it grow on them. It appears this will be a grow on you sorta look based on the replies here.....and not long after that it will become the remaining boating industries jealousy....they'll want what Wes has produced and thankfully he has protected himself from splashes very well.

Froggystyle
12-02-2003, 10:47 PM
Thanks for the input. I realize that constructive criticisim is a great thing, and want all of it I can get. I just fail to see the correlation between a uniform building block and a boat with zero square edges ;) That is me though... I worded my last post a little harshly, and for that I apologize.
One of the risks that we took by posting these pics of the model is that we would potentially draw confusion among the potential buyers. There is zero pictures of a finished boat right now. Mostly because there are zero finished boats right now. There are some great pictures of a 4' long model going around, and a 1/6 scale model of the boat is only going to be so representative of fit, finish and form. It is a representation, and all I ask is that if the forms interest you, give her a shot.
As I have said, I board members are more than welcome down here to come take a look at the progress. Lots of fun seeing a boat come to fruition, and real input based on getting in and out of the boat itself is a huge bonus for us. We have moved stuff around based on input from people on this forum. A lot of stuff in fact.
Next year looks to be a busy year. I can't wait.
Keith, if you are ever in SD, give me a buzz.
Thanks,
Wes

Froggystyle
12-02-2003, 10:49 PM
I just had a total Derek Zoolander moment about toddnjuzz's post.
"What is this... a boat for ANTS???? It has to be at least....... three times bigger than this!"
The model is definitely a nice thing to have, but is not doing the full scale boat any justice.

Oxnard
12-02-2003, 11:52 PM
Froggy, can you do your leggos in aluminum, for strength, and weight savings so the Rotax won't be straining so much, and how about a "froggy green" color option? I'm still hooked on last years Eliminator at the boatshow. Super-V, rubber seats would be great, a lot easier to clean up the spilled ice tea and soda pop.
**ATTENTION** Wes, serious question- Is there a 'secure'(as in locking), waterproof, glovebox, compartment, what-ever? close to the drivers position in which to lock paperwork, wallet, cellphone, and other items one might need in certain situations (let's not forget my 'medication') that should be kept accessable but secure?
Oxnard
er,a Froggy, something tells me that when you were supposed to have your mind on"hitting the beach" in the LANDING CRAFT , your mind was on other things. Is that where the front end came from?

burbanite
12-03-2003, 05:03 AM
I'd rather be an innovator than an imitator...
Wes, you are doing something I haven't seen done in a loooong time and, I have a feeling you will be rewarded.

Froggystyle
12-03-2003, 09:24 AM
Thanks guys :D
Underneath the sink on the model, you can see a black outline of what looks like a door. That is a sealed door opening into a hold for backpacks, purses etc... In addition, there will be a custom built compartment in there for the owners manual and registration.
I know what you are thinking... What is an owners manual doing in a boat? We are writing one, and it should cover most of the issues you may or may not have during a weekend of boating. Up to and including how to tie knots and anchor properly.
In addition to this storage, you will see what looks to be a flat panel to the left of the driver on the helm. That is the audio/video unit, and in the bottom of it there will be a small glovebox for truck keys, wallet and the like. This will lock with a key, and be quasi-secure.
Squirts up!