PDA

View Full Version : IMP X-250 Twin Merc 260's

GRUMILLA
12-02-2003, 11:26 AM
I just got a 1979 IMP with little over 400 hrs on her and was wondering if anyone is familiar with this design. I never had this type of boat before and the learning curve is real steep on this one.
Interior is just like it came from factory as it had been stored inside for the last 12 to 15 years with canvas cover. I'm sure there is going to be normal things to check out but anyone familiar with this boat could give any pointers it would sure help!
I like the way the guy used 55 gal drums... and no, that's not how I'm going to transport it...
Roger:confused:

CAHotRodBoy
12-02-2003, 05:35 PM
Looks like it could handle bigger water okay but probably not very fast. What motor does it have? Looks like it's in good shape.
Why do you say the learning curve is steep on this one? It looks pretty docile to me. Is this your first boat? If not, what kind of boats have you had?

GRUMILLA
12-04-2003, 11:19 AM
The boat has two 350's that have a 260 Merc rating. This is my first "big" boat as the others I have are either little jon's or the fastest one is Mantra jet with a LS6 BBC / Berk.
From what I have read at other sites it seems like the IMP being an older design, one not promoted all that much till later is not to bad at the rough stuff. I think one guy was hitting 10 foot seas at around the 40 to 50 range probably not to bad for this old of boat but I have never been in anything like that, only about 5 footers in twin jet off Key West. We have family in Tampa and was wanting to haul down, play in the Gulf maybe do some costal stuff but need to learn more about the boat and my own capabilities first.
We have some nice lakes in our area like Kentucky and Barkley along with the Ohio River so this is where we'll send most of our time. I was just wondering if anyone had direct experience with this model... newbie to the "big" boats:rolleyes: but learning fast I hope:D
Thanks in advance for any advice... well... that too:rolleyes:

CAHotRodBoy
12-05-2003, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by GRUMILLA
I think one guy was hitting 10 foot seas at around the 40 to 50 range
Yikes! :eek: :eek: :eek:
I think that might be a little optimistic. 40 to 50 in 10 footers is going to give you some serious air, especially in a 25 foot boat! Even in 5 footers you'd be doing a lot of flying. You might be able to do that with that boat but not for very long before it comes apart. :(
I would look for some local guys with twin engine boats that might be able to help you out. It's always good to run with other, experienced boaters to learn the ropes. I would also put it in the water on maybe a week day when no one else is out there. Then you can practice docking, manouvering it around the slips, trailering, etc. Plus it will give you time to get it rigged the way you like (fenders and dock lines stowed away, anchor access, cooler placement, getting it balanced properly, etc).
Good luck and have fun!

GRUMILLA
12-07-2003, 04:59 PM
:eek: Yes you know how some guys like to blow how wild they can run!!!
Myself, I would not have any hair or at the very least have many punch marks from my wife's nails......
Good advice... I like the middle of the week idea and perhaps at a more secluded boat ramp, one with fewer witnesses:o