PDA

View Full Version : land-n-sea torque prop

regattaJim
04-21-2002, 09:35 AM
i'mn planing on trying this prop.... 86 searay bowrider..... 260 hp smallblock 350... mercruiser.....any advice???? i normally use a 18 pitch 3 blade stainless....52mph on hand-held gps....

Bondo
04-21-2002, 03:36 PM
hi jim, i put one on last year.... i LOVE it...when i push Hard on the throttle the motor Jumps to 4300rpm,+ stays there..in the mean time the boat is Violently trying to Catch Up.!! i run a 4.3l merc.alpha1...in an old restored '74 Starcraft 210 Islander(bitch'n Lake O fishing machine)the Low gear will let me troll at 1000rpm/1.7-2mph, OR Rip the arms Off a skier,if your not careful.....that was last year with a 1.5/1 ratio outdrive...i've since Ywacked that one...Now have a 1.65/1 alpha1,+ hope to have my torque shift back this week....last year i had the upshift limited to about 18" with the 1.5/1....i'm thinking i should be able to back the screws off a bit, to around 20"-21" with this 1.65/1......if this works out right, i've got another outdrive with the 1.98/1 gears in it.....turn the screws a bit more,+ the torque should be "gut wrenching,seat busting,transom cracking,.....no matter where i set the screws with this prop, low gear is 11" of pitch.....Tight Lines Bondo

Jim Nichols
04-21-2002, 05:34 PM
I put one on my 85 SeaRay 187 Monaco w/ 260hp, replacing a Michigan 14.25 X 20 SS last spring, it had the same top speed as yours now 51-52 at 4600 rpm. Went through alot of BS with factory to get proper set up ( they sent with Z cam then Y cam then 15lb springs). The set up that seems to work best is ZZ cam with 30lb spring. Pitch set at 21" and rpm at 4400, top speed about 53, but a tremendous hole shot and excellent for tubers and skiers. Be sure to follow brake in procedures. If you like to tinker get the tool and pitch gauge. I hit a rock first trip out and now carry an extra difuser ring, blade and spring kit left over from first oop's.

Bondo
04-25-2002, 06:45 PM
hey, jim nichols, did you deal with a rick or dick, at L&S ???? i've had nothing but bad attitude,+ just plain rude from this guy.....fast delivery, BUT no paper.. no invoice.. nothing...i had to guess what it cost me till i got my cc statement...
BUT, i do LOVE my prop..!!!!!!
[This message has been edited by Bondo (edited April 25, 2002).]

Jim Nichols
04-26-2002, 06:04 PM
Bondo, couldn't find the guys name but I got jerked around several times by him so I'll just call him Jerk. I even asked for his boss, wrote them an e-mail and got no responce. When ordered I gave them specs on my rig and they sent with z cam, then sent 15lb springs then sent Y cam, told to try both 15 and 30 lb springs then I asked for ZZ cam and the guy said he would mail it tomorrow (friday), two weeks later I told jerk no cam had arrived he says " Oh it must have got lost in the mail, now whats your address again" I was pissed. So now that I got that off my chest.
What is your set up cam / springs / pitch ?
I was told that only a solid hub was available and mine vibrates at low rpm. Sound like you got the set up right. I like mine, just whis I had dealt with someone else.

Jim Nichols
04-28-2002, 07:03 PM
Found the invoice, Kevin was his name, the invoice shows a ZZ cam but they sent with Z and I kept getting steered the wrong direction from there. Attitude must be company moto. I noticed a gray matter, feels like plastic, extruded from blade shaft bushing inside the hub, disassembled and according to instructions it should be replaced only if white is showing thru. Is yours doing the same ?

Bondo
05-09-2002, 04:03 PM
hi jim,
i don't remember any wear anywhere on it, yet... i get it back from the prop shop tomorrow night... I Hope... i need my 11" Low gear for walleye trolling saturday.....

Jim Nichols
05-10-2002, 09:48 AM
Kevin at L&S said this was normal for one season. Have fun with the walleye.

Bondo
05-16-2002, 03:12 PM
my bushings looked almost new,... i also greased everything when i put it together, even though they tell you not too.... i agree that grease attracks dirt, But there's not a lot of dirt in the water i boat in...!!!!