PDA

View Full Version : Water in the oil

Snowboat
07-25-2002, 04:32 PM
A friend of mine has had the dealer tell him that the water in the crankcase is a result of drawing water up through the exhaust. The boat is a little-engined Glastron with a Volvo Penta setup. We told him the dealer was talking out of his ***. However, when the boat is run on the muffs, it hasn't developed any water in the oil, after twenty minutes. We thought it might be a head gasket, but nothing has shown up in the oil. The boat is under warranty. Anyone have problems with Volvo's warranty? Any thoughts on how a Volvo gets water in the oil, rather than a head gasket?

lghtnin33
07-25-2002, 07:31 PM
how old is the boat? check your manifolds and the exhaust bellows! the dealer is not full of $#!T it happened to me, thought i had thrashed my block but was just a pin hole in the exhaust bellow which was spraying mist into the carb under full throttle.

Snowboat
07-26-2002, 07:34 AM
The boat has about thirty hours on it. That would be a way to get water in there, but I don't think its happening the way you describe, but he'll check it. Any other thoughts, or others that have had problems with a Volvo warranty?

SchellSchock
07-26-2002, 08:41 AM
I don't know if this helps but I just found a rip in my exhaust bellows, (about a 1" wide hole), no water in oil so a leak here doesn't sound like it could lead to your problem. On to the matter of Volvo Penta warranty, I have a 2000 Glastron 205SF with a Volvo Penta 5.7GSi hooked to the DuoProp drive. It is a kick *** combo for speed, holeshot, skiing, wakeboarding. The biggest issue for me is the "Water Damage" clause in the warranty. I have had my boat in three times for "warranty type service and 2 of the three have heard the dreaded..."The warranty dosen't cover water damage...". The only thing fixed on Volvo's dime was a bad water pump. Even that they required the Service department to replace with a factory rebuilt which lasted 2 hrs before the impeller fell off the shaft.