PDA

View Full Version : thinking about buying a jet boat

Larry Nebb
12-03-2003, 08:25 AM
I need a low cost boat to have fun with.
Found a sidewinder that's 16'. It has a 455 olds and a berkley pump. Boat is in ok shape but is not a show winner.
It's on a trailer with only one axle.
He's asking 3,750 for it.
I don't know much about jets so what should I look for?
The price sounds ok to me but what do you guys think?

Jungle Boy
12-03-2003, 08:47 AM
Have you rode in it? A 455ci anchor is a real heavy engine in a little 16' boat. If the boat is in good condition (no rot, solid construction, pump good shape, ect) but the engine is not blown up (yet), you can alway put a small block in it for cheap.

cal***boat
12-03-2003, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by Larry Nebb
I need a low cost boat to have fun with.
Found a sidewinder that's 16'. It has a 455 olds and a berkley pump. Boat is in ok shape but is not a show winner.
It's on a trailer with only one axle.
He's asking 3,750 for it.
I don't know much about jets so what should I look for?
The price sounds ok to me but what do you guys think?
Check out the boat trader online, There is alot of good deals on jets in there right now.

HOSS
12-03-2003, 12:12 PM
I`m thinking of selling mine want to take a look? Email me or private message.

Bense468
12-03-2003, 12:22 PM
If I was going to build a boat that small, I would be with Jungle on this one. Build a stroker small block. If you want to get crazy a blown stroker small block and you will be able to hammer on it all day and get some numbers out of her. Look for a berk style pump (berk, dom, at, legend etc)

Larry Nebb
12-03-2003, 01:05 PM
Guys, I do not want to build it. I'm not looking to be the fast guy with it. I want to just have fun with it at a low cost.
I have a flatbottom that runs pretty hard so this is more of an all around boat. I want to just dump in gas and go. Walking on the deck and pulling up to the docks will be the norm with this boat.
I know the boat floats and runs ok. The gel coat was red metal flake but is now pretty ratty. The seats were redone a few years ago and are in so so shape. Trailer is just an old trailer.
So, this guy is asking 3,750 for it. What do you think if I was to offer him 3K and maybe go up to 3,500 max?
Hoss, this one is in my area. It looks like you are pretty far away.

Dan Risolio
12-03-2003, 01:08 PM
Larry the sidewinders are not good boats from what I remember. You need to go back to the drawing board on that. But it sounds like you are not rolling in money so maybe it is a good deal for you if that is all you can afford. 455 olds are not pwerhouses but they always fire.

canuck1
12-03-2003, 02:28 PM
I'd say that for what you want to do with it for 3500 its cheap fun. a 16' boat with a small block chev is the only way to go, if it was aluminum it would even be better:cool:

canuck1
12-03-2003, 02:30 PM
And not stir up anything the sidewinder hulls are OK and the olds will run if you don't expect it to be a race boat

Outnumbered
12-03-2003, 03:36 PM
My brother in law is thinking about selling his jet. I don't know much about it but I think it’s a late 1970s 18' Hawaiian. Rode in it once and it was pretty fast. It has a built 460 with OT Bassetts and a berk that was just blueprinted by some guy in Havasu for about $2,800. The interior is a few years old, light tan. The gel coat is root beer brown metal flake on top and light tan on the bottom. The brown is pretty oxidized. Its on a single axle. A little TLC and it would make a good boat. Mechanically it’s pretty sound. I'm guessing $3-4k range is what he would want. The boat is in Kingman, it's about an hour or so from Havasu.
Let me know.
OL

Bense468
12-03-2003, 04:52 PM
So hey Old Lavey. Whats the deal up there in arrowhead are you guys all cool up there since the fires? I have not been up there in a while but we do have a cabin up there. It is in Kuffle Canyon but towards the Village. We can walk to the village. Sorry to go off topic.

460rogers
12-03-2003, 05:00 PM
There are very few boats that ride as smooth as a sidewinder.They are tough boats and can handle a lot of abuse. Can't remember how long mine is right now(next project)but it was a fun boat,was very happy to get it back. :cool: WE BE COOL !

Outnumbered
12-03-2003, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Bense468
So hey Old Lavey. Whats the deal up there in arrowhead are you guys all cool up there since the fires? I have not been up there in a while but we do have a cabin up there. It is in Kuffle Canyon but towards the Village. We can walk to the village. Sorry to go off topic.
Thanks for asking. You cant even tell there was a fire when you are down by the lake. The fire burnt to the top of Kuffel and jumped at Santas Village and that is when it got Cedar Glen. Nothing by the lake was touched. Not a single home in Lake Arrowhead was damaged. A lot of the news reports ended up being false. Santas Village is intact. Just burnt the parking lot area.
We are all doing fine, business as usual. The only time I am reminded there was a fire is when I drive "down the hill".
OL

Jet City
12-03-2003, 06:03 PM
Larry, $3000-3500 sounds about right for a fully operational turn key jet that is a bit cosmetically challenged. I don't see that hull or the 455 being much of a problem for what you are looking to do with the boat, just be sensible with how hard you push the old 455 and it should last very well.

sidewound
12-03-2003, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by Dan Risolio
Larry the sidewinders are not good boats from what I remember. You need to go back to the drawing board on that. But it sounds like you are not rolling in money so maybe it is a good deal for you if that is all you can afford. 455 olds are not pwerhouses but they always fire.
Don't buy into this! I've got the 18' Super and it's tough as hell.
Are you talking about the 16' bubbledeck or the super? If you've found a 16' Super Im JEALOUS! My boat!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/114Boat_Wheelie-med.jpg
This bubbledeck belongs to Rick in MI.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/11416_bubble.jpg
Is this what your lookin at?
With a descent 455 I think this boat would FLY!
Info on Sidewinders below!
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20563
Bash the 455 all you want but you can make them reliable. The original packajet olds package in my boat ran for 30 yrs.
OLD GUY had one in a Super like mine with 500 horse that cracked 80 mph. Not just once!
I happen to like the sidewinders I spose cause I own one! I also like the styling as well as the durability. I've been in mine and hopped off 3 foot rollers off of barges on the missippi. Sounded like it would break in two but not even a crack in the gell. They are heavy.
Sounds like a lot of fun for a small price to me. Good luck!
Peace Man!:cool:
CESAR

sidewound
12-03-2003, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by 460rogers
There are very few boats that ride as smooth as a sidewinder.They are tough boats and can handle a lot of abuse. Can't remember how long mine is right now(next project)but it was a fun boat,was very happy to get it back. :cool: WE BE COOL !
Ya got that right 460!
Peace Man!:cool:
CESAR