PDA

View Full Version : Boating Accident in Parker

Waldo
12-03-2003, 11:17 AM
I read this today in the Orange County Register regarding that horrible fatal crash involving three young boaters and Grier Rush.
"Man indicted in boating deaths
An Arizona grand jury indicted a Maywood man Tuesday on three counts of negligent homicide and aggravated assault for a boating accident that killed three Orange County residents.
Grier Rush, 62, also is charged with leaving the scene of the Sept. 19 accident. He has pleaded not guilty.
His attorney, Ron Cordova, said he was pleased that Rush was not indicted on a more severe charge of reckless homicide.
The accident, on the Colorado River near Parker, Ariz., killed Jonathan Herbert, 21, and his sister Jacquel, 18, both of Laguna Hills, and Ashley Rollins, 18, of Mission Viejo. Authorities said Jonathan Herbert was making a U-turn in a speedboat when a larger speedboat driven by Rush broadsided Herbert's craft and skimmed over the top. "
- Rachanee Srisavasdi

LASERRAY
12-03-2003, 11:24 AM
Tragic! I remember this story. Was he drunk, or just stupid? My thoughts and prayers go out to those families. I hope that alot of people start making better decisions out there. I guess we'll see.

Boatcop
12-03-2003, 12:09 PM
Funny how the Register got the information, when I was told to keep it quiet until all the parties could be notified. I guess the defense doesn't have to follow the rules.
I find it interesting that the Grand Jury found "Reckless" in the Aggravated Assault charge that caused the injuries to the surviving passenger, but not in the deaths of the other 3 kids.
All I can say is that we did our part. It's in the hands of the lawyers now.

hd&boatrider
12-03-2003, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Boatcop
Funny how the Register got the information, when I was told to keep it quiet until all the parties could be notified. I guess the defense doesn't have to follow the rules.
I find it interesting that the Grand Jury found "Reckless" in the Aggravated Assault charge that caused the injuries to the surviving passenger, but not in the deaths of the other 3 kids.
All I can say is that we did our part. It's in the hands of the lawyers now.
Alan---There are a few ?'s for you to answer over on your site. Check them out please....

78Eliminator
12-03-2003, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Boatcop
Yeah, it is funny. It's completely insensitive and irresponsible if you ask me. This is a case that is to be settled in court. You don't see any family members of the deceased firing off their information on this forum, do you? So be careful to not be "spun" by the media or hearsay when we are only getting partial information. And for Gods sake, have some respect for the families that have lost their children!

carreraboat
12-03-2003, 01:45 PM
How is it rush's fault when the boat in front of him did a u-turn?

bigq
12-03-2003, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by carreraboat
This is what I was wondering. Obviously had some reason since he fled the scene. Would he be in this trouble if the boat turned a U in front of him and he couldnt stop? Was he drunk?

hboldno7
12-03-2003, 03:58 PM
Rush was never given a Blood alcohol test. The Crash took place on Friday and he turned himself in on Sunday.

Froggystyle
12-03-2003, 04:29 PM
I have heard so many versions of what happened it isn't funny. All of the versions say one thing, or basically one thing, and I have read the exact opposite in the press.
I would like to know how running someone over who is doing a u-turn in front of you is aggravated assault... I think I have a far different version of aggravated assault than the courts it seems.
I hate rumour.

rrrr
12-03-2003, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by carreraboat
The rules say the overtalking vessel has the responsibility to safely pass the stand-on vessel. The overtaking vessel is supposed to indicate his intentions on which side he is passing by horn blasts or other clear signal.
What do you do in real life? I dunno. I don't pass boats unless I make eye contact witht the other driver, but since I don't boat on the river, I'm gonna guess that is hardly practical. I also don't turn from a straight course unless I do a lookie to make sure it's clear behind.
A real tragedy however you look at it, but I think leaving the scene was criminal behavior.

LASERRAY
12-03-2003, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by rrrr
A real tragedy however you look at it, but I think leaving the scene was criminal behavior. [/B]
That's my concern. Regardless of who's at fault.:mad:

beyondhelpin
12-03-2003, 08:34 PM
Wasnt this the accident that took the lives of someone on the boards children?

Kindsvater Flat
12-03-2003, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by beyondhelpin
Wasnt this the accident that took the lives of someone on the boards children?
Yep. You will find the father in the v-drive section.