PDA

View Full Version : Is This Normal??

SoCalHD
12-03-2003, 02:04 PM
Greetings all! I have been lurking for a few months now, watching and trying to learn as much as I can about a hole in the water that the wife and I can throw money into. On Sept. 2nd, we put a deposit down on a new 23ft boat. We were told it would be 8-10 weeks and we would have our boat. Well, yesterday was the 13 week mark, and they have not even cleaned up the mold for my boat!!! I keep getting a different story each time I go down there to look. I am so pissed right now that I don't know what I should do. I now know why some suggest to skip the hassles of buying a new boat, and get a used one that is DONE!! What does anyone else think???

Sleek-Jet
12-03-2003, 02:07 PM
Anyone we know (manufacturer) ??
Some people have had success by posting the name of the manufacturer here on the board.
Then just be a total pain in the ass untill you get your boat.

SoCalHD
12-03-2003, 02:17 PM
Caliber 1

hboldno7
12-03-2003, 02:20 PM
Yeah, who is the manufacturer ?

hboldno7
12-03-2003, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by SoCalHD
Caliber 1
Somebody else Had a really tough time with them also, I cant remember but ill see if I can find the thread

BADBLOWN572
12-03-2003, 02:24 PM
I am not surprised.

Steamin' Rice
12-03-2003, 02:27 PM
Can you still get your money back? Hopefully you haven't already signed for a loan on a boat that hasn't even been built yet.....

rivercrazy
12-03-2003, 02:28 PM
If you put a deposit down, I'd recommend personally visiting them ASAP and demanding your money back immediately.
If your not getting the service you deserve, take your business to someone else. There are plenty of great SoCal custom boat manufacturers out there.
Go down and look at Shockwave (ask for Barry, Danny, or Bob), Essex, Howard, Lavey, and a few others. You will get treated right.
You might also contact Whipped Caliber here on the boards. He as a real nice 23 Caliber for sale right now. And it hauls the mail! :D

bear down
12-03-2003, 02:29 PM
What kind of deposit did you put down? If it's the normal 1k down and nothing more then I would just walk away from the deal and take it as a loss and go to another manufacturer that can probably get your boat done in 6 weeks considering it's the winter time. With the stage of your boat it will take a minimum of 2 weeks to get it completed if they go balls out on your boat other than that it'll be more than 3 weeks I think. If you have signed the paperwork and had it financed/funded already or put more than the 1k then there is nothing much you can do than just to be persistent. Good Luck and don't give up. Maybe if you complain enough or barter with them they can give you some good upgrades in return for the late delivery of the boat since they can still add them. It's winter, it's cold, try it and maybe you'll score!.

Dribble
12-03-2003, 02:34 PM
Hey SocalHD PM me with your Email or telephone #. I may be able to help you out.

Starloans
12-03-2003, 02:34 PM
Caliber 1
Damn, that was easy. I thought I was going to have to read pages and pages to figure out who it is. :D

1stepcloser
12-03-2003, 02:35 PM
Ask Whipped Caliber.....
He's still waiting for his 27.
You can read about some of the drama here (http://op6c.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=15&t=1510&)

SoCalHD
12-03-2003, 02:36 PM
I sure appreciate the replys- I put $4000 down-I went and got the loan from my bank-so I'm approved and have all the money to finalize the deal(and have had it for months!) Nothing about the loan is thru Caliber, so they only have my 4000. They had called me Oct. 30, and said that Nov. 1 they would be starting my boat. So you can imagine my surprise yesterday when I dropped by to find NOTHING!!!

gnarley
12-03-2003, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Dribble
Hey SocalHD PM me with your Email or telephone #. I may be able to help you out.
Why do you guys at the BAR also regulate boat or marine repairs??? If you have trouble with marine repairs who do you call besides the shop or your credit card company?

1stepcloser
12-03-2003, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by RiverDave
Hustler ordered a 27?
RD
No, no, no.....you know better than that Dave.... ;)

bear down
12-03-2003, 02:40 PM
I sure appreciate the replys- I put $4000 down-I went and got the loan from my bank-so I'm approved and have all the money to finalize the deal(and have had it for months!) Nothing about the loan is thru Caliber, so they only have my 4000. They had called me Oct. 30, and said that Nov. 1 they would be starting my boat. So you can imagine my surprise yesterday when I dropped by to find NOTHING!!!
That's a little too much money to walk away from just to get things moving with another manufacturer. Don't know what to tell but to be in their face every single day if you can. I would probably stop by every two days to see progress and maybe not say anything but make myself seen and known that I am there.

Dribble
12-03-2003, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by gnarley
Why do you guys at the BAR also regulate boat or marine repairs??? If you have trouble with marine repairs who do you call besides the shop or your credit card company?
No we don't regulate marine stuff (yet). I bought a new 230 Velocity this year.

LASERRAY
12-03-2003, 03:21 PM
BUMMER DUDE! We all went back and forth on this topic a couple of weeks ago and Caliber 1 was mentioned a few times as a company to avoid. I hope your boat turns out nice nevertheless. Good Luck.

Steamin' Rice
12-03-2003, 04:06 PM
.... I put $4000 down-I went and got the loan from my bank-so I'm approved and have all the money to finalize the deal(and have had it for months!) ...
Does this mean that you already signed for a loan for the boat and have payments coming due? Even if you have all of the $$ from the loan, you are paying for a boat that hasn't even been built. If it were me, I would not give them another dime until the boat is 100% complete.....Good luck.

MagicMtnDan
12-03-2003, 04:10 PM
Sounds like it might have been a good idea to put the deposit down using a credit card - that's assuming you can go back to the CC company after a few months and tell them you're disputing the deposit?
Is it possible to put down a deposit using a credit card and then dispute it with the CC company if you're SOL like this guy is?

ratso
12-03-2003, 04:16 PM
One good thing about all this...Winter is coming on.:D

phebus
12-03-2003, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by ratso
One good thing about all this...Winter is coming on.:D
It's all in your perspective.. The way I look at it.....summer is almost here.....:D :cool: :D

rodnjen
12-05-2003, 01:59 PM
We ordered our new Essex on Aug. 5, 2003, and it was ready almost exactly six weeks to the day. By September 20th, it was in our driveway, tunes blastin', and being polished and prep'd for its first trip.
I am sorry to hear about your experience, I can't imagine your frustration. All I can say is be firm but polite and if your want your money back, get it and move on to another builder. The market is too competitive for buyer to have to tolerate such b.s.!

Jrocket
12-05-2003, 02:01 PM
Are you from the Riverside area by chance?

rodnjen
12-05-2003, 02:09 PM
No, Fullerton actually.

Jrocket
12-05-2003, 02:17 PM
The name and the boat sound familiar.Just a shot.

SoCalHD
12-05-2003, 04:18 PM
To follow up, no I have not been making loan payments on a boat I don't have. Caliber only has my deposit-I have arranged things through my bank, and I have them waiting to write a check. I did talk with Caliber today, and they apologized for all the delays and problems. Cliff said that he does not want to lose me as a customer, and is willing to do extra options or something to make the situation right. If I am not satisfied, I will gladly receive my deposit back. Since the are willing to step up, I am at least willing to see what they will do for me on my boat. Maybe trying to keep the customer happy is not dead?? Again, thanks to everyone for the replies!! Whatever happens, I will be in a new boat heading out to the river to play sometime in Feb. cold or not!!!!

Kilrtoy
12-05-2003, 05:54 PM
Caliber 1
That was your first mistake, DONT CONTINUE, CUT YOUR LOSS OF TIME
go get your money right NOW.
Go to a more reliable manufacture.
Ok stop reading and get your ass over there and get your money.......
If you dont youll be sorry.