PDA

View Full Version : Another How fast ?

BrendellaJet
12-04-2003, 09:47 AM
Boat: 1977 Brendella bubbledeck-Hondo Copy: According to Jeff Bennett the hull is safe to well over 100. Blueprinting by Jeff scheduled for 12/13/03.
Pump: Setback MPD stage 3 Jacuzzi 12wj "Berk Killer" with a B impeller.
Motor:N/A 540 by me/DNE. Power will be over 700 hp, possibly 800. We are still going over the particulars, but it will be pump gas friendly, hydraulic roller cam with custom lifter mods by Dave, aluminum heads, victor jr intake, hp950 carb.
Any guesses on speed? Im thinking it will break 100. I wont go there until its dialed in and I have all the proper safety equipment.

flat broke
12-04-2003, 10:00 AM
Brian,
I think 100 is doable, but it will be with LOTS of setup experimentation and removal of interior excluding drivers seat. Even then, be mindful that there are very few v bottom jets running over 100.
Talk to Randy and both Mikes to get ideas of HP and different hull setups to see where you may land. Your definitely going to have a nice running setup come summer.
Chris

BrendellaJet
12-04-2003, 10:11 AM
Thanks Chris,
The interior will be pretty light weight, so hopefully it will do the # without removal. But, my original goal was to break 80, then plans changed with the motor, so anything over 90 is gravy. I just want it to haul ass and be capable of cruising at 60. It probably going to be able to cruise at 70, so there's some more gravy!

flat broke
12-04-2003, 05:06 PM
I'm guessin that Jack will be looking A' impeller turning around 54-5600 for optimum setup.
There are going to be lots of bitchen jets running around this summer.
Keep us posted.
I just got good news that my heads should be arriving at DNE next week. :D
Chris

MikeF
12-04-2003, 10:07 PM
Both Jack and Jeff would have a fair amount of experience w/ your hull. Some of those pieces on the wall in Jack's shop are from his old circle race boat (Hondo). Definatley talk to Jack about how the boat normally handles and what to watch out for as V-bottoms can do some things sometimes if you happen to let off the throttle too quickly! Best not to try to go to fast too quickly at 1st. Learn what the boat does and then move the the next level.
I'd imagine that w/ a powerplant fairly similar to LV's or Tom Bandy's you will at least see 95. I believe the intake on the Jacuzzi pump is larger than the Berk, so I think you'll end up w/ some kind of blocker on the loader to not overload the pump and add some lift.
Are you going to have a droop on it? I can't remember what kind of nozzle assy that you have on it. Did you modify it to accept any type of droop? When I installed the droop on my boat it handled much better (it would spin fairly easily if I let off the throttle through a left turn (more reasons than just the position of the nozzle)). Now I am more confident w/ the droop than w/o.
I'll try and drop by Jacks sometime soon to check it out.:cool: You could not be in better hands!:D

BrendellaJet
12-04-2003, 11:09 PM
Mike-
Thanks for the reply. Previously the boat handled very well, but only had stock power. No problems with quick shut downs-boat went straight every time. Im sure things may change with the increased power and speed-Ill definitely have to take it easy and learn how the boat responds. It has spun out on me once before, but the speed was pretty slow, I was going over a nice big roller, plus, the loader was broken. Im more aware now after talking with Jack about why boats will react this way...
The one downside to my hull is the delta pad-although I have seen a hondo in Jacks shop recently that was capable of 80+ with under 600 hp according to Jack. It had its delta pad filled as I will have mine when Jeff comes to blueprint.
Ill definitely talk with Jack about a blocker for the pump-im sure the set up will be difficult to get this thing dialed in. But wouldn't less shoe help solve this problem? Currently the shoe is placed about an 1/8 inch above the keel.
Boat will have a droop, Jack cut the stock nozzle off when he rebuilt it. Of course Ill have a place diverter too.
Chris, Im not sure about the impeller. Dave said he would be looking to place the peak power in the 5800-6000 rpm range. Im going to confirm with Jack that this is what Ill need to reach my goals. An impeller change may be necessary?
Thanks again for everyones input.

cal***boat
12-05-2003, 12:02 AM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/246brendella_jet.gif
Is the Brendella jet you have like this one ?
This is my Brendella I had some time ago. It was a really good boat and the boat ran 96mph on a radar gun.
The engine was a 496 by Ron Fry Racing and the pump was done by Jack.
The boat was neat because of the cut away deck for the driver.
In al my years I have never seen another one of these boats made by Brendella.

BrendellaJet
12-05-2003, 12:23 AM
That looks like a t deck? Mines a bubble deck. The transom looks identical, do you recall if it had a delta pad?

LVjetboy
12-05-2003, 02:35 AM
I'll pass on the Berk killer thingy :) But the WJ-B should absorb a bit more than the Berk B. Looks like it'll get your close to Dave's predicted power peak accounting for typical lake conditions. What was your speed and estimated power before? That's important info often left out of "predict my speed" posts. Then again, with so many changes...hull detail, pump work, setback, and a new engine, that plus no baseline? Speed's hard to wag.
jer

BrendellaJet
12-05-2003, 07:31 AM
Jer,
Pretty mild motor before. .060 over, small cam and low compression. With a little tuning I got it to just pull away from my bros wave runner, whos speedo said hi 50s/60. Not much of a baseline though(no GPS),and since- like you said, so many changes. But I wasn't about to not do any of the mods just so I could see which one helps and how much- This is a ground up restoration, so im doing everything now.

cal***boat
12-05-2003, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by BrendellaJet
That looks like a t deck? Mines a bubble deck. The transom looks identical, do you recall if it had a delta pad?
The boat was a T-Deck and was sold new as a circle race boat to a friend of mine back in 79.
The boat did have delta pad before it was modified by GTH back in the early 80s

BigBoyToys
12-05-2003, 01:52 PM
That hull looks alot like my Syndicate.....

cal***boat
12-05-2003, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by BigBoyToys
That hull looks alot like my Syndicate.....
Jim this boat was just like there v-drive hulls except for the last 4 feet of the bottom was a delta style with a slight vee to it.
When the boat was in the water everyone thought it was a v-drive till you got to the back of the boat and saw that polished dildo sticking out there. :rolleyes:
The boat was very narrow at the transom.

fourspeednup
12-05-2003, 08:26 PM
All right, now I see there are a few more brendella owners out there. It's good to hear that this is a solid hull, it's my first boat and I've put it through hell. Spun out twice, stuffed a few times in Havasu. Here's a pic of my 76 bubble deck , not the best angle but it's all I got.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1154my_boat-med.jpg