PDA

View Full Version : Change Differential fluid at 5000 miles WTF

SchellSchock
12-05-2003, 12:59 PM
2003 Suburban 2500, 8.1 BBC, 4LE85 TRANS, 4:10 POSI.
Take to the dealer due to posi rear end shuddering after 3 or more mile at highway speed. Then when taking off the posi doesn't release freely for the first couple starts from stops or on turns. Not major but irratating from a $47,000 top of the line vehicle. The service manager has mechanic ride with me who verifies the problem. Here is the kicker........
Service manager says I should have had the differential fluid drained and replaced at 5000 miles, (Burb has 12,000 now). My cost to have them do it, $175.00, (it's sythenthic gear lube ..don't ya' know). I'm looking at my owners manual and it says drive axel fluid should be checked and topped off at oil changes every 7500 miles. What a f***ing rip off. I drove off pissed. Anyone else heard of this BS?????
Schell****I was born at night, Just not last night****Schock

HammerDown
12-05-2003, 03:40 PM
Man that dose suck...especially with sythenthic lube. I would think it should last alot longer.
I changed my Fords rear oil at 50,000 the 1'st time...regular dino oil. Everythings good, change it every 50...but I know it could go alot longer..

victorfb
12-05-2003, 03:42 PM
make sure you get the varification that there is a problem from the dealer in writing. (very important!) it should say on the work order, if not, get it.. also, get a pen and paper then call GM corperate. they will give you a complaint number, write it down, write everything down. day, date, time, and who you spoke with. the rear end limited slip lockers use a special additive to help keep the plates from locking up against eachother. sounds like that is whats happening, but in any case, i would have the dealership (under warranty) open the rear end and inspect it. at this time they will have to replace the fluid anyhow, and add the additive. if the dealer says they cant do it under warranty, call the GM office again and have them call the dealership. its a pain in the butt i know. but it useually works. dont think you were wrong by not changing the rear end fluid at 5000 miles, thats a crock o shiznit.

kevnmcd
12-05-2003, 03:47 PM
SS - I had the same thing happen on my '96 with the posi rear end. What they told me is that it needs to be adjusted after it works in. Since it is under warranty, you only have to pay for the fluid, but make sure that they are going to adjust it also.

Kilrtoy
12-05-2003, 08:02 PM
Is this something new, That sounds like BS, I have never changed anything in the rear end in any truck ive owned. But then again I have fords.....
But that should not have any bearing on that.......

Dr. Eagle
12-05-2003, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by SchellSchock
2003 Suburban 2500, 8.1 BBC, 4LE85 TRANS, 4:10 POSI.
Take to the dealer due to posi rear end shuddering after 3 or more mile at highway speed. Then when taking off the posi doesn't release freely for the first couple starts from stops or on turns. Not major but irratating from a $47,000 top of the line vehicle. The service manager has mechanic ride with me who verifies the problem. Here is the kicker........
Service manager says I should have had the differential fluid drained and replaced at 5000 miles, (Burb has 12,000 now). My cost to have them do it, $175.00, (it's sythenthic gear lube ..don't ya' know). I'm looking at my owners manual and it says drive axel fluid should be checked and topped off at oil changes every 7500 miles. What a f***ing rip off. I drove off pissed. Anyone else heard of this BS?????
Schell****I was born at night, Just not last night****Schock
If you read the manual, I am pretty sure it is actually 500 miles. They put a special break in oil in the rear end and following that initial use, you have to put in the synthetic gear oil. I am not at home so I cannot look at my manual, but that is what I remember....
I did change mine at about 750 miles, but my friend with the same rig did not and was towing his trailer up the Baker Grade and the break in oil overheated and vaporized and he got that gear oil stench throughout the car.

Kilrtoy
12-05-2003, 10:41 PM
Is this a chevy thing or something

Flying Tiger
12-07-2003, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by Kilrtoy
Is this something new, That sounds like BS, I have never changed anything in the rear end in any truck ive owned. But then again I have fords.....
But that should not have any bearing on that.......
Killertoys right.
Change dealers. The owners manual says every 25.000 and only if you do hot and heavy towing.
I think you're getting bad advise from the dealer.
You can contact GM if you don't get it resolved.
Find another dealer with the tallent and willingness to fix the thing.

Havasu Hangin'
12-07-2003, 08:48 AM
I changed the rear end oil in my 98 'Hoe (4x4) w/ 2,000 miles based on the recommendation of the dealer. What did I find?
Lots of shavings that I didn't think would be there. Dealer said it's from the build, break-in, and wear.
I'd do it if you're planning on keeping it (cheap insurance- DIY job). I had 80K+ trouble-free miles on that truck when I sold it.

HEATHEN
12-07-2003, 04:18 PM
I believe it needs serviced at 5000 to 8000 miles on vehicle.Then it is good for 100,000 miles with fluid check and add if need be at every 7500 miles.

gettinby
12-07-2003, 10:11 PM
Thats a bunch of crap. I'm a gm tech, and you should get it done at no charge. You shouldn't have to pay for fluid or anything, and even get a free rental car if needed. I'm not aware of any break-in lube or anything like that. There's no additive for limited-slip diff's anymore because of the synthetic gear lube. You're getting reamed by that dealer. What dealer did you take it to? Take it back there or to another dealer and say fix my f-ing truck or I don't want the POS. Maybe try Quality Chevrolet, they're pretty good.

Kilrtoy
12-07-2003, 11:00 PM
thanks GETTINBY
I thought that sounded like a dealer scam....

SchellSchock
12-08-2003, 09:41 AM
Sent this out Friday.......
I took my Suburban in to Bob Baker Chevrolet Thursday 12-04-03 to have it checked for the rear differential positraction not releasing smoothly after 3 or more miles at highway speeds. The mechanic rode with me and verified the problem. The service manager then informed me that the differential fluid was required to be "Changed" at 5000 miles per the maintenance schedule. Cost to me $175.00 I looked and NO Where do any of the maintenance schedules require the fluid to be changed. Checked and topped off yes, but NOT changed! I have 12,250 miles on this vehicle. I have maintained it above and beyond the schedules in the ownerÂ’s manual and on the MyGMLink web site.
To pay $47000.00 for a top of the line, high profit margin vehicle from GM and then to get jerked around like this is LUDICROUS! I have owned Chevrolet vehicles for the past 35 years. I assure you if this is not resolved immediatley to my satisfaction this will be the last GM vehicle I own.
They sent this in response....
Dear Mr. Schell Sr.,
Good evening! Thank you for contacting the Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center. We apologize for the rear differential concern have experienced with your 2003 Chevrolet Suburban. We understand this can be very frustrating and we would like to assist you. Due to the nature of your concern, may I continue this communication via telephone? If so, please reply to this email with a date and time that I may contact you, along with the telephone number where you can be reached during this time.
I am available Monday-Friday from 3:00 p.m.-11:00 p.m. est. Or to reach me by telephone, please call our Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center at 1-866-952-4368 ext. 58007. We have documented your comments in file number S1-168275795. Please refer to this file number in any communication you may send.
Again, thank you for contacting Chevrolet.
I will let you all know what the final outcome is.
"Schell..Considering the new Dodge with the Viper motor..Schock"

Kilrtoy
12-08-2003, 02:11 PM
So what happened....
:confused:

HEATHEN
12-08-2003, 03:46 PM
I was wrong with my first post on this issue after checking with Gm technical assistance it was only on the early model Silverados the diff service was recommended. On the later trucks the owners manual was changed.
ShellShock I sent you a PM if you need any help getting this done give me a call. My Serv. Manager said we would warranty it for you.

Outnumbered
12-09-2003, 09:50 AM
This is the type of shit that happened to me with every new Chevy I ever owned. I was a die hard bow-tie fan until the fifth and last new one I bought a few years ago. I am on my second new Dodge and can't be happier. Buck183 can bag on them as much as he likes but at least I'm driving my Dodge and not a rental Corolla.
Shellshock, sorry for the trouble you are going thru. I hope you have better luck than I did.
OL

buck183
12-10-2003, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by Old Lavey
This is the type of shit that happened to me with every new Chevy I ever owned. I was a die hard bow-tie fan until the fifth and last new one I bought a few years ago. I am on my second new Dodge and can't be happier. Buck183 can bag on them as much as he likes but at least I'm driving my Dodge and not a rental Corolla.
Shellshock, sorry for the trouble you are going thru. I hope you have better luck than I did.
OL
I deleted my thread last night so as not to reply and start a shit storm. Didn't see the point in it.
Now you keep taking shots at me. HMMM??
I see now why this site is not highly thought of compared to others.
PS...Lavey, I've forgotten more about trucks than you'll ever know. If you'd take the time to know what I do for a living you would know that though.
Buck

beach gomer
12-10-2003, 07:52 PM
shellshock
Just looked at the dealers specs for diff changes it sayes every 15000 but that is if you are towing or live in a dusty ares.also the cost is 89.88 to do.I also have an 03 3/4 ton burb with 4:10 but it's a 4x4.

Kilrtoy
12-10-2003, 07:56 PM
AND what would those site be:confused: :confused: :confused:

Outnumbered
12-10-2003, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by buck183
I deleted my thread last night so as not to reply and start a shit storm. Didn't see the point in it.
Now you keep taking shots at me. HMMM??
PS...Lavey, I've forgotten more about trucks than you'll ever know. If you'd take the time to know what I do for a living you would know that though.
Buck
Feeling a little sensitive today?
I wouldn't call that taking a shot. I just call it like I see it. You don't like Dodges--so what, that's your opinion. Oh, and there was no disrespect in any of my posts.
OL

DogHouse
12-10-2003, 09:11 PM
Well I like my new Dodge truck... go figure! So far it's more solid than any of the three new GMs I've owned in the past. Tows the boat up the hills in sixth no problem, gets great mileage, handles nice, stops well, no complaints here!

buck183
12-10-2003, 09:22 PM
Lavey,
I think our definitions of respect are a little different.
I did not reply to this thread at all. You brought my name up out of spite because of another thread you didn't like. People post opinions about brands of boats on here EVERY day, yet I don't see anyone making an issue over one person's opinioin of a certain brand and taking to every boat thread on the board. Why is that? Lavey says "Well so and so doesn't like this brand of boat so it's his agenda to knock it everywhere he goes now". We are here to discuss stuff. Just because you don't like my opinion doesn't mean it has to be your "agenda".
Out of "respect" for you I deleted my other thread because I don't like offending people.
Respect?......Must be the California upbringing. People don't treat people like that where I come from.
Buck

Outnumbered
12-10-2003, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by buck183
Lavey,
I think our definitions of respect are a little different.
I did not reply to this thread at all. You brought my name up out of spite because of another thread you didn't like. People post opinions about brands of boats on here EVERY day, yet I don't see anyone making an issue over one person's opinioin of a certain brand and taking to every boat thread on the board. Why is that? Lavey says "Well so and so doesn't like this brand of boat so it's his agenda to knock it everywhere he goes now". We are here to discuss stuff. Just because you don't like my opinion doesn't mean it has to be your "agenda".
Out of "respect" for you I deleted my other thread because I don't like offending people.
Respect?......Must be the California upbringing. People don't treat people like that where I come from.
Buck
Treat people like that??? Like what???
Like I said you are being way too sensitive.
If you can't handle me pointing out the fact that nearly all of your posts are about how Dodge sucks, than I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings. It just seems like you are here for something other than the boating thing. Maybe I'm wrong. Its just my observation. Is that offensive?
And you are quite the hypocrite for "taking a shot" at my parents for how and where I was brought up :wink:.
Buck, get over it. If you're gonna dish it out, ya gotta learn how to take it.
Now, to quote a felow Cali dirt-bag with a bad upbringing, "can't we all just get along"
:D

Kilrtoy
12-10-2003, 11:54 PM
Yo'all neEd to get over it
Chebys and Bodge's suck
buy a mans truck,
FORD
IT'S WHAT WOMEN PREFER
By the way
Im joking if you didnt know.
But seriously buy a Forged:D