PDA

View Full Version : nos

fleetimus
12-05-2003, 03:37 PM
I have a 16' Cheetah with a 461 Olds. Right now it is running 67 mph at 4300 RPM. I am going to build a BBC for it. In the interim I have been entertaining a 100 hp NOs shot. I would appreciate any thoughts on the NOs on an Olds.
Tim

Jake W
12-05-2003, 03:47 PM
Carefull posting a NOs thread on the Just Jets board Hammer will put the hammer on it.Good luck
Jake:rolleyes:

77charger
12-05-2003, 04:10 PM
A 100hp NOS will give you about 3-400 rpm more.I know because i have used it not on an olds but a bbf(cast crank and pistons).Many said it wouldnt last but f them i proved them wrong.100 is a safe number IMO 125 and under are safe.The important thing is fuel supply make sure you have a good pump.I dont know about olds but i would think that your rpm range on the nos wll be safe.

Bense468
12-05-2003, 04:15 PM
Squeeze the shit out of it. You are building a big block anyway.
To be honest though. I wouldn't run an olds, let alone an olds on NOS.

cyclone
12-05-2003, 04:24 PM
a stock olds should be fine running sub-5,000 rpm bursts of no more than 7 seconds. so if you're only spinning 4,300 rpm and add another 3,00 rpm with the nos, you should be fine hitting the button for a race (1/8-1/4 mile). of course none of this applies if the engine is tired and the fuel system isn't up to par.

wsuwrhr
12-05-2003, 08:28 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/505/63Mvc-012f-med.jpg
Might be a spam but since you are interested in NOS, I figured I would mention that I make a billet quick release bracket for the bottle.
Brian

quiet riot
12-05-2003, 09:12 PM
wsuwrhr, how much and how well does it clamp the bottle? I am going to mount my bottles vertically upsidedown without a siphon tube and was just kicking around ideas.
jd

wsuwrhr
12-06-2003, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by quiet riot
wsuwrhr, how much and how well does it clamp the bottle? I am going to mount my bottles vertically upsidedown without a siphon tube and was just kicking around ideas.
jd
The clamps are pretty stout, there is a slight gap between the ends of the clamps, so there is no reason why the bottle should slip.
The base will hold the bottle in any position, I stand behind all of my parts, I guarantee the bottle will not budge once you clamp it in. If is does move, I will either change the design for you or give you your money back.
You should get the positive locking pins for your tin can.
Just my .02
Brian
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/505/63lhandlequickpin-thumb.jpg http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/505/63buttonquickpin-thumb.jpghttp://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/505/63nitrouspol.jpg
There is some bling bling for you, fully polished. Looks like a mirror.

Hallett19
12-06-2003, 11:40 AM
That is one of the sweetest brackets I have ever seen !!! About the NOS, it wouldnt be the strenth of the motor I would be worried about, it would be the RPM's on the Olds. I ran a 150 shot on a small block fully stock 302, I ran it probably 80 times before I got rid of the car, but never once had a problem using it for quarter miles or fun little speed sessions on the freeway. You could probably run 200 shot on a well built big block if you run race gas and plenty of it while on the bottle.

Jake W
12-06-2003, 05:05 PM
I am amazed,must be certin rules only aply to certin people.
Fleet it you decide to go this way I found some decent priced kits in Jegs for about 365 you can go from 100 to 150 to 200 with a NX Hitman kit.Or for the same money you can get a NOS Sniper kit that goes from 100 to 150.
Jake:wink:

squirt
12-07-2003, 01:06 AM
Hey Fleet. Put a set of headers on that thing and pick up a few hundred R's.........Then squeeze it:D

PLACECRAFT20
12-08-2003, 08:13 AM
I RAN A 100HP EDELBROCK KIT ON MY STOCK BBC. IT GAINED ABOUT 4 TO 5MPH. I WOULD SQEEZE IT TO THE JETS FROZE UP. I NEVER HAD A PROBLEM. I DID RUN A ELECTRIC FUEL PUMP IN FRONT OF MY MECHANICAL TO KEEP GOOD FUEL PRESSURE. MY ONLY PROBLEM WAS THE BOTTLE WILL ONLY LAST 15 OR 20 MINUTES WHEN YOU ARE HAVING FUN.
(JUST A QUICK ADD TO THIS TREAD. I FOUND THE EXTRA FUEL JET FOR THE NOS IS A GOOD TUNING TOOL. TURN OFF THE NOS BOTTLE AND KICK ON THE NOS SWITCH. IF MOTOR PICKS UP OR DOES NOT STUMBLE UNDER WIDE OPEN THROTTLE YOU NEED BIGGER JETS IN THE CARB. HOPE THIS HELPS)

Squirtcha?
12-08-2003, 03:28 PM
THE BOTTLE WILL ONLY LAST 15 OR 20 MINUTES
I've got the same kit and mine only lasts for 2 minutes of run time, or about 10 quarter mile passes. Or are you saying that you kept using it on and off for 20 minutes until it was gone?
Guys that aren't used to nitrous might think a bottle will last em 20 minutes of continuous use. Don't think that will happen unless they have a 100lb bottle on board.

Hallett19
12-08-2003, 05:26 PM
simple fix, buy a second bottle, the BIG one !!! ;)

Squirtcha?
12-08-2003, 05:54 PM
Actually, I have two. I don't like carrying around the extra 25 lbs all the time. I'm getting pretty good about using it only when I get a race up. I've even gone a whole weekend of running and went home with a full bottle (couldn't find anybody that wanted to race). Man, it's hard to do though.

wsuwrhr
12-08-2003, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Squirtcha?
Actually, I have two. I don't like carrying around the extra 25 lbs all the time. I'm getting pretty good about using it only when I get a race up. I've even gone a whole weekend of running and went home with a full bottle (couldn't find anybody that wanted to race). Man, it's hard to do though.
Squircha,
If you have a quick release bracket, it would be alot easier handling two bottles you know....
Brian;) :) :rolleyes:

PLACECRAFT20
12-09-2003, 08:50 AM
I WANTED TO MAKE SURE THAT EVERYONE KNOWS SQUIRTCHA IS CORRECT. MY BOTTLE WILL LAST 15 OR 20 MINUTES USING IT ON AND OFF. NOT CONTINUOUS. I CARRY TWO BOTTLES FOR A WEEKEND OF FUN.

Squirtcha?
12-09-2003, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by wsuwrhr
Squircha,
If you have a quick release bracket, it would be alot easier handling two bottles you know....
Brian;) :) :rolleyes:
Ah Brian,
The consumate salesman. You'll get an order from me before winter's over and that's for sure.

wsuwrhr
12-09-2003, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Squirtcha?
Ah Brian,
The consumate salesman. You'll get an order from me before winter's over and that's for sure.
Hey hey hey,
Just letting friends know what's out there. That's all. The thought of you lugging the bottles around makes me sad.
Are you saying I am pushy?:)
Brian

Squirtcha?
12-09-2003, 08:51 PM
Not at all Brian. It's all just in fun...................or would that be jest in fun? Pun intended.:D

LVjetboy
12-09-2003, 11:39 PM
I've even gone a whole weekend of running and went home with a full bottle (couldn't find anybody that wanted to race).
I'll head your way so you don't have that problem if you like
:)
jer

roostwear
12-10-2003, 04:27 AM
Originally posted by wsuwrhr
Hey hey hey,
Just letting friends know what's out there. That's all. The thought of you lugging the bottles around makes me sad.
Are you saying I am pushy?:)
Brian Pushy, pushy, pushy. Btw, the new Roostwear Taylor, Tahiti, and Rogers Billet hitch covers (http://www.roostwear.com/cover.htm) are available in limited quantities!
Spam on spam! :D

Squirtcha?
12-10-2003, 05:58 AM
Originally posted by LVjetboy
I'll head your way so you don't have that problem if you like
:)
jer
Hmmmn, well I got nothing for ya jer even with the go go juice. I know I couldn't keep up with the new and improved Drag n Jet, but come one out anytime.