PDA

View Full Version : Lifted 4x4

Kilrtoy
12-05-2003, 05:50 PM
How much
How high
How is the ride.
Some dumb ass broad pulled up next to us at lunch in her lifted 4X4 F250 6" lift, so it actually sits 9' above mine
So now Mrs Kilrtoy said my truck will look like that.
What company/ brand should we stay away from....

anxious
12-05-2003, 05:54 PM
chevy or ford (probally ford since you mentioned f250(

Ziggy
12-05-2003, 05:56 PM
If its a Ford then Fab-Tech seems to be the choice of most. Mine is and most I know personally have chosen the same brand...

Kilrtoy
12-05-2003, 05:58 PM
Ziggy how is the ride any problems and what price.
I got a qoute for the F250 4x2
to get a dual shock 6" lift for 2200 including labor is that good.

twistedpair
12-05-2003, 06:02 PM
That price sounds pretty reasonable. What brand and who's doing the install?

Kilrtoy
12-05-2003, 06:05 PM
A tire and shock shop by my house.
Brand is Fabtech, he said about 200 more for billstein, does that sound right

anxious
12-05-2003, 06:07 PM
a customer of mine got quoted 1900 from outlaw for 6" with dual bilsteins. dont know what brand.

Ziggy
12-05-2003, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by Kilrtoy
Ziggy how is the ride any problems and what price.
I got a qoute for the F250 4x2
to get a dual shock 6" lift for 2200 including labor is that good.
The ride in the Fab-Tech seems to be what everyone likes. Its a tiny bit stiffer in the front end since the leafs get replaced from OEM but overall my wife couldn't really tell the difference. My F350 still rides way better than my old F250 stock.
Now the dual shocks may increase stiffness somewhat so be carefull or find someone who has it and go for a ride first.
That price sounds about right I guess. I did mine myself.

fourspeednup
12-05-2003, 06:08 PM
That isn't bad at all. But you're gonna have to get some wheels and tires though. Gotta figure on at least 2000 for that. 35's should fit no prob.

anxious
12-05-2003, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by anxious
a customer of mine got quoted 1900 from outlaw for 6" with dual bilsteins. dont know what brand.
the lift is edge

Kilrtoy
12-05-2003, 06:13 PM
We got some nice rims on there now, not stock ones., but still not what we really want. So for now we are just doing tires....
Thanks guys for all the help.........
does gas mileage go down and do you need to change the rear end gears. I have 4:30's

Ziggy
12-05-2003, 06:21 PM
We got some nice rims on there now, not stock ones., but still not what we really want. So for now we are just doing tires....
Thanks guys for all the help.........
does gas mileage go down and do you need to change the rear end gears. I have 4:30's
I managed to squeeze 35's onto mine prior to lifting...4x4 helped.
Mileage for me has been about the same, maybe a little less around town but actually a tad better on the long freeway hauls. I have yet to get speedo recalibrated so I'm off by almost 20%, it will probably help the shifting once its calibrated too so the ECM doesn't think I'm going slower than actual speed. 4:30's should be just fine.

MagicMtnDan
12-05-2003, 06:22 PM
You don't need or want dual shocks except for looks they provide no value (and only cost more). You won't be jumping the truck (probably won't even take it offroad) so don't waste your time unless you want 'em for looks.
What motor do you have in the truck? Your 4.30 gears should turn 35s OK depending on your motor but you should go larger gears if you're going to run bigger meats than 35"ers.
My opinion: Fabtech & Explorer ProComp are OK. I like RCD best and then Rancho & SuperLift but there are many to choose from.
SuperLift offers an 8" lift kit:
http://www.4wheelerssupply.com/Products_01610

JetBoatRich
12-05-2003, 06:44 PM
MMD, nice site on parts. What does it cost on one of those lifts for labor?

Keithb87
12-05-2003, 06:48 PM
If you go with oversized tires you really should look into upgrading the breaks , calipers and rotors.. ;)

Kilrtoy
12-05-2003, 06:57 PM
We are only going with 35's
Still need to do the brakes...........
Thanks Dan, NO NO OFF ROADING, I dont like broken things and its only a 4X2

25Elmn8r
12-05-2003, 07:42 PM
Since it is a 4x2 definitely go with Fabtech! The lift I have now is fabtech and is the 3rd time I have used them. Mine is a suburban and not the F250 but SS Havabru on this board has the fabtech kit on his Excursion, the only problem he is having is keeping the front end aligned. I don't know why he is having this issue as Fabtech has been doing the twin I beam lifts forever.
RCD also makes a nice lift too. I haven't personally put one on my trucks but have friends that have and loved it.
I almost forgot about the gears, if you have the V10 you shouldn't have any issues with the 35's for now. I think I have read that you are looking to upsize the boat, when you do that you might consider swapping gears. Especially if you are going to tow back and forth to havasu. If you are going to store out there then it wouldn't be as big of a deal.
So to sum it up, Fabtech or RCD would be my top 2 choices. 35's are just right on a 4x2. And the 4.30 gears will be ok for now.

BADBLOWN572
12-05-2003, 08:09 PM
Another company to look into is Donahoe Racing. They have done a couple of my friend's trucks and they are awesome. The ride is extremely soft and they handle great. If I was going to do a lift on mine, I would definitely consider them. They are a little more pricy, like 5-600 over Fabtec, but you get what you pay for.

CAHotRodBoy
12-05-2003, 08:20 PM
I have an RCD 6". Comes with Bilstein shocks. Ride is great no noticible change over stock other than a little more solid because of the Bilsteins. Installed by Chatsworth Tire, cost $1500 for kit + $500.00 install. Went from 28" to 35" tires with same 3.73 gears. The 6.0 with aluminum heads has so much power (370 ft lbs) no problem pulling the boat. I am going to switch to 4.10 or maybe 4.56 because it does want to jump between overdrive and drive alot more now. I don't drive it much except for towing the boat (2001 with only 9K miles on it) so I don't care about gas mileage.
I think FabTech does the most with 4X2 kits. I don't know if RCD makes one or not. Check out Chats Tire, they seem to have good $$$.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/750108-0827_IMG-med.JPG

quiet riot
12-05-2003, 09:03 PM
The bilstein shocks are worth the extra coin. Don't bother with the dual shocks. I pieced my kit together for a 94 ford so can't really give an opinion on one brand vs another for your appl.
jd
Do ya really wanna do that with a 2wd though? I guess if its just for looks thats cool though.

Kilrtoy
12-05-2003, 09:06 PM
Chatsworth tire is awesome, BOB loves the wife so he hooks us, I mean her up.
She wants the dual shocks for looks....
Why do you say dont bother with the dual shocks....

MagicMtnDan
12-05-2003, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Keithb87
If you go with oversized tires you really should look into upgrading the breaks , calipers and rotors.. ;)
I disagree (although it's never a bad idea to have better brakes!). The F250 and F350 have upgraded brakes over the F150.
Dual shocks don't do anything good for your vehicle if it's not subjected to rough riding (typically offroading). It just makes the vehicle ride STIFFER and firmer which is not something you'll want or be happy with. If you could get a "dummy" shock for the second shock you'd be better off - two shocks on each wheel may look good but it makes the ride worse and won't help in any way except when the truck is subjected to very rough terrain. Single shocks for these vehicles - especially the heavier duty/capacity 250s and 350s - are capable of doing their jobs. You'd be a lot better off getting the very best single shock at each wheel than two of any (including two of the very best).

Kilrtoy
12-05-2003, 09:38 PM
Thanks Dan, Ride is important. Dont want to bounce down the road.

MagicMtnDan
12-05-2003, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by BigBoyToys
I disagree. Single shocks on a lifted vehicle will have a tendancy to allow the rear of the vehicle to "sag". I have had lifted 4X4's CONSTANTLY for the past 20 years and have found that to be the case 95% of the time with single shocks....after time that is. If you plan on towing a boat, I'd DEFINITELY go with dual shocks, probably on all 4 wheels. As I stated in the above post, I have 3 shocks on each wheel and it doesn't ride stiff. That is mostly determined by the leaf springs. There are a few manufacturers that have developed smoothe riding lifts, such as the Skyjacker "SoftRide". Also, make sure that your shocks are the right ones for what you want to do and make sure that they are adjusted properly. Also, dual shocks in the rear will help prevent "axle wrap", which is also common in lifted vehicles.
Um, I don't think so! Springs carry loads shocks absorb them. Dual shocks don't make a vehicle flat (level). If one end is taller/higher than the other then you've got to raise the low end up by installing new leaf springs, new blocks (where there's leaf springs) if you don't want to spend money on new leaf springs (that's the safer way). I cannot imagine how dual shocks keep your vehicle from sagging - it sounds like your trucks have been under-sprung!

Kilrtoy
12-05-2003, 11:28 PM
I will have to ask the guys at the shop about that about that.......
What can anyone tell me about OFF ROAD UNLIMITED in Burbank

MagicMtnDan
12-05-2003, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by CAHotRodBoy
I have an RCD 6". Comes with Bilstein shocks. Ride is great no noticible change over stock other than a little more solid because of the Bilsteins. Installed by Chatsworth Tire, cost $1500 for kit + $500.00 install. Went from 28" to 35" tires with same 3.73 gears. The 6.0 with aluminum heads has so much power (370 ft lbs) no problem pulling the boat. I am going to switch to 4.10 or maybe 4.56 because it does want to jump between overdrive and drive alot more now. I don't drive it much except for towing the boat (2001 with only 9K miles on it) so I don't care about gas mileage.
I think FabTech does the most with 4X2 kits. I don't know if RCD makes one or not. Check out Chats Tire, they seem to have good $$$.
You did good - those prices are right on. I have a 6" RCD lift on my 2003 2500 4x4 Avalanche and it cost $1450 for the lift and about $500 for installation AND alignment (a MUST). I'm running 4.10 gears (from the factory) and they turn the 35" meats no problem since I've got the 8.1L 496 cubic inch big block. The RCD kit comes with the Bilsteins and they are GREAT shocks (and in my opinion, the RCD kit is the best by far).
http://www.deckowski.com/anza/images/IMG_0275.jpg
http://www.deckowski.com/anza/images/IMG_0276.jpg

Kilrtoy
12-05-2003, 11:31 PM
So bilsteins are better than Fab tech

MagicMtnDan
12-05-2003, 11:34 PM
So bilsteins are better than Fab tech
FabTech is a company that sells products under their name/brand. I'm guessing they don't make the shocks - they're probably made for them.
I think it's safe to say that Bilsteins (as far as I know, Bilstein really only offers shocks) are better than FabTech shocks.

MagicMtnDan
12-05-2003, 11:37 PM
I strongly recommend that you call/see Off Road Unlimited (Nick is a good guy to talk to) in Burbank.
That place is one of the very best around - lots of experience, a VERY clean, organized shop and TONS of experience with Fords. They have done all kinds of show trucks and they do a lot of work on the magazine's trucks too.
Take a look at the row of Fords that are out front almost every day and you'll be impressed. And their prices are very good (don't buy from any shop until you KNOW what the prices should be - negotiate yourself a solid price from a shop with lots of experience working on trucks just like yours (don't be any shop's guinea pig).
On Victory Boulevard between Burbank Blvd. and Magnolia...

Kilrtoy
12-05-2003, 11:40 PM
I think I met him .
He drives/owns POWER ON ICE, that green F250.
When we were looking at a F250 1 year ago the wife went and met him. She wanted a 10" lift 38's . He was going to do everything custom for 12K....
Well we have scaled down now and we are no going for so much looks as last time..... and alot less cash.....

JetBoatRich
12-06-2003, 07:35 AM
This thread has been very informative, thanks. :D Problem now I can't wait to run down and get it lifted:rolleyes:
Like to see a few more pictures, how about a few dually's

cc322
12-06-2003, 07:51 AM
Im curious why you did not go with 4x4? With the extra money you are going to put into the lift, you could have bought the four wheel drive. And it would have been cheaper to lift,since the 4x4 is leaf springs front and back.

25Elmn8r
12-06-2003, 08:15 AM
Fabtech does not manufacture their own shocks. I believe they use Doetsch Tech.
Bilsteins are definitely the way to go. I have them on the front end and stock rear. The ride is the same as when it was stock.
A good quality tire is a must! i went with Nitto Terra Grapplers because of the 18" rims. I have absolutely no complaints about that tire.
Bigboytoys, The rear end sag isn't caused by the lack of shocks. It sags because the rear springs didn't have enough lift to it initially, or they were the wrong springs. It is a fact on most lifts that the rear springs are either thinner leafs or fewer leafs. The reason behind that is most people don't carry loads all the time in their lifted trucks so the manufacturer can soften the ride by using these leafs. The thinner leafs have less load carrying capacity and are more likely to flatten when loads are applied.
The 3rd reason is design of lift. The west coast has a propensity(sp) to keep the rear end a tad lower than the front.
Here is a pic of my sub, notice the slight rear end sag. That is the way it has been since day 1 of the lift.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/204DSC00071-med.JPG

MagicMtnDan
12-06-2003, 09:56 AM
I think I met him .
When we were looking at a F250 1 year ago the wife went and met him. She wanted a 10" lift 38's . He was going to do everything custom for 12K....
Well we have scaled down now and we are no going for so much looks as last time..... and alot less cash.....
That's the owner of Off Road Unlimited (ORU) who drives the "Power 'n Ice" truck. They do excellent work there and you can definitely get a great deal to boot. Check out their shop - it's first class and clean not like many of the 4WP shops I've seen. Plus they have the same guys in their shop unlike others where you see a different guy in there every time.
Good luck and show us the results!

Kilrtoy
12-06-2003, 10:41 AM
Thanks everyone for the education.
JBR go to this web site, dont get mad at me after you see this stuff..
www.offroadunlimited.com
Enjoy...

Kilrtoy
12-06-2003, 10:42 AM
http://www.offroadunlimited.com/new/custom/fords/dualy_images/01.jpg

Kilrtoy
12-06-2003, 10:44 AM
Why we didnt go 4X4.
After reading everyones comments and the fatc this truck is only used to go to the river, i could not justify the 4x4 and the diesel uggrade. Even with all the planned river trips next year, I still wont break 10K next year.....
The wife is one the one who wants it all tricked out now.......
She wants it better than her last truck....

riverbound
12-06-2003, 10:59 AM
I had my f-350 lifted (fabtech 5.5 w/ dual bilstein front and single bilstein rear) the ride of the truck is determined by the arch in the spring and the type of shock you use.
My truck rides better now than when it was stock. For tires and wheels I am running weld cheyenne and porcomp xterrain 35x12r17
The dual shock setup will ride better than a single shock setup.
My truck is 4x4 diesel

riverbound
12-06-2003, 11:30 AM
Here is a pic

JetBoatRich
12-06-2003, 12:30 PM
Thanks everyone for the education.
JBR go to this web site, dont get mad at me after you see this stuff..
www.offroadunlimited.com
Enjoy...
Thanks, looks good

H20 Party Starter
12-06-2003, 12:47 PM
************************************************** ************************************************** ******************************
I"M ONLY GONNA SAY THIS ONCE!!!!!
RCD USES YOUR STOCK UPPER ARM ON MOST 2WD A-ARM KITS.
IF YOU USE YOUR TRUCK OFFROAD.......IT'S THE FIRST THING TO BREAK/CRACK/BREAK AWAY FROM THE SPINDLE.......STOCK UPPER ARMS AREN'T MADE TO HANDLE 35" TIRES HOPPING AROUND IN THE DIRT
FABTECH USES A TOTALLY NEW UPPER ARM/COIL/SPINDLE/HEAVY-DUTY BALL-JOINT ON THEIR 6"&7" KITS (DEPENDING ON SPINDLE)
I've seen both broken.......including a ball-joint from fabtech on my truck......RCD rides better.......but fabtech is the way to go if any offroading is to be done........they are race-proven suspension products IMO IMO IMO IMO.......now eat your luch!
FYI F250's and bigger are a different deal!

H20 Party Starter
12-06-2003, 12:53 PM
just get one of these;)

Kilrtoy
12-06-2003, 01:18 PM
No off roading, just looks.......
Im heading over to burbank to talk to them and see what they say....

anxious
12-06-2003, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by MagicMtnDan
You did good - those prices are right on. I have a 6" RCD lift on my 2003 2500 4x4 Avalanche and it cost $1450 for the lift and about $500 for installation AND alignment (a MUST). I'm running 4.10 gears (from the factory) and they turn the 35" meats no problem since I've got the 8.1L 496 cubic inch big block. The RCD kit comes with the Bilsteins and they are GREAT shocks (and in my opinion, the RCD kit is the best by far).
http://www.deckowski.com/anza/images/IMG_0275.jpg
http://www.deckowski.com/anza/images/IMG_0276.jpg
love your bow tie:D

AZKC
12-06-2003, 02:47 PM
4x4 lift 4x2 no-lift
:)

riverbound
12-06-2003, 02:48 PM
Here is a picture of a denali quadsteer w? 12" lift that we built on 38s and 20" welds

boatnam2
12-06-2003, 03:49 PM
i payed 1830 for a fabtech 6" installled with single shocks.shocks are junk have replaced them twice in 75k miles.front springs are starting to sag alittle.i called fabtech only to find out the kit works on diesels but not made for a deisel no biggie really.rides pretty good on bfg 35's.ziggy your off by 20% with 35's?i was wondering how far off my speedo was off.

boatnam2
12-06-2003, 03:54 PM
make sure it is teh performance kit with the i beams and not the basic kit.

AZKC
12-06-2003, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by riverbound
Here is a picture of a denali quadsteer w? 12" lift that we built on 38s and 20" welds
Kick ass:) Is that a dually 1 ton with singles on the back, or a step side?
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/57sweet_truck-med.jpg
Need to hit the loto:D
ps and please tell me its a 4x4

riverbound
12-06-2003, 04:36 PM
KC it is actually a four wheel steering denali pickup and yes it is 4x4

Kilrtoy
12-06-2003, 05:31 PM
Ok Just got back,
Fab tech 6" lift, using dual shocks. Replacing the shocks with bilstein shocks including labor. 3K.
But what he explained made way more sense than the other place.....
Off road unlimited......

SandbarScot
12-06-2003, 07:17 PM
IMO Fabtech sucks. I have a 6" RCD lift on F150 Supercrew with 3" body lift also..No problems. My son and I saw a guy today with his left front wheel busted off at the ball joint. This is a weak point on Fabtech lifts. He was getting towed away. Better him than me:D

Dr. Eagle
12-06-2003, 09:21 PM
I disagree (although it's never a bad idea to have better brakes!). The F250 and F350 have upgraded brakes over the F150.
Dual shocks don't do anything good for your vehicle if it's not subjected to rough riding (typically offroading). It just makes the vehicle ride STIFFER and firmer which is not something you'll want or be happy with. If you could get a "dummy" shock for the second shock you'd be better off - two shocks on each wheel may look good but it makes the ride worse and won't help in any way except when the truck is subjected to very rough terrain. Single shocks for these vehicles - especially the heavier duty/capacity 250s and 350s - are capable of doing their jobs. You'd be a lot better off getting the very best single shock at each wheel than two of any (including two of the very best).
The Chevy 4 wheel disk brake system is unbelievably good. I have no complaints at all with my brakes. Towing a 9600 pound boat/trailer combo, towed it to Tahoe several times and the brakes were super duper. Waaaayyyyyyyy better than the older Burb with rear drums.

Kilrtoy
12-06-2003, 10:04 PM
Yeah, The guy said what I was doing didnt need it, but it doesnt hurt either

syke-o
12-06-2003, 10:18 PM
so kilrtoy 3k was for the tires as well as the lift?

AZKC
12-06-2003, 10:33 PM
KC it is actually a four wheel steering denali pickup and yes it is 4x4
:D

Kilrtoy
12-06-2003, 11:09 PM
so kilrtoy 3k was for the tires as well as the lift?
No just the lift

sorry dog
12-07-2003, 09:22 AM
I"M ONLY GONNA SAY THIS ONCE!!!!! RCD USES YOUR STOCK UPPER ARM ON MOST 2WD A-ARM KITS. IF YOU USE YOUR TRUCK OFFROAD.......IT'S THE FIRST THING TO BREAK/CRACK/BREAK AWAY FROM THE SPINDLE.......STOCK UPPER ARMS AREN'T MADE TO HANDLE 35" TIRES HOPPING AROUND IN THE DIRT FABTECH USES A TOTALLY NEW UPPER ARM/COIL/SPINDLE/HEAVY-DUTY BALL-JOINT ON THEIR 6"&7" KITS (DEPENDING ON SPINDLE) I've seen both broken.......including a ball-joint from fabtech on my truck......RCD rides better.......but fabtech is the way to go if any offroading is to be done........they are race-proven suspension products IMO IMO IMO IMO.......now eat your luch!
Or get a solid axle truck and not worry about it.
Or keep it in the parking lot like RD would.

Keith E. Sayre
12-07-2003, 08:07 PM
A Conquest customer named Dean Sears has a shop in Moorpark
that does very exotic trucks and Suburbans etc. From what I can
see, he does very "high end" work and now has a place in Havasu also. You may have seen bumper stickers that say
"Sport Trucks by Dean" or "Hot Rides by Dean". I have his numbers at work if anyone needs them.
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats
Lake Havasu City
928-680-1400

likwidsukr
12-07-2003, 08:48 PM
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3484whte794x4-med.jpg

Havasubum
12-07-2003, 08:59 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/126918.jpg
8 inch fabtech lift, dual shocks (rancho rs 9000) new springs front and rear, 4:30 gears from factory, 37 inch good year m\t tires, truck rides really nice

Havasubum
12-07-2003, 09:16 PM
http://custommotorsports.com/12coiloverF250.html
12inch lift 2 wheel drive f-250

Kilrtoy
12-07-2003, 09:22 PM
havasubum,
THAT LOOKS SWEET
is that a 4x4 or 4x2
how much did it cost and who did it,
how is the ride compared to before lift
and what type of mileage do u get

Havasubum
12-07-2003, 09:37 PM
its a 4x4, with the v10 im getting about 8 mpg, cant remember how much the lift was but i will look and see, Extreme Image Racing in Hunington beach lifted it. i think the ride is better than stock

Kilrtoy
12-07-2003, 09:39 PM
Again that rig looks sweet,
That is what the MRS wants........

Havasubum
12-07-2003, 09:52 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1269random_pictures_092-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1269random_pictures_091-med.jpg

Kilrtoy
12-07-2003, 09:54 PM
Thanks for the pics,
Ill show her tommorrow.
:D

THATJEFFGUY
12-07-2003, 10:10 PM
Hey Kilrtoy..PM me..I have a killer hook up on the lift kits, wheels, and tires !

y2kboti
12-08-2003, 12:10 AM
You don't need or want dual shocks except for looks they provide no value (and only cost more). You won't be jumping the truck (probably won't even take it offroad) so don't waste your time unless you want 'em for looks.
If your truck/SUV never sees the dirt then I'd agree dual shocks are not needed however if you do any mild offroading dual shocks are a good addition. It's amazing what heat will do to a set of shocks. Even moderate heat will fade the shocks. When valved properly dual shocks are not any stiffer than a single shock they just spread the load out(reducing heat).
What motor do you have in the truck? Your 4.30 gears should turn 35s OK depending on your motor but you should go larger gears if you're going to run bigger meats than 35"ers.
Yeah 4.30s should be good for 35-37" tires. Anything larger and you'll want to step up for 4.56s.
I think I met him .
That's the owner of Off Road Unlimited (ORU) who drives the "Power 'n Ice" truck.
Maurice Rozo is the owner of ORU. Mike Duval, who is a very well known truck enthusiast, owns the "Power on Ice" Superduty. Not sure if he sold it or not but his latest project was a new F-150 running a 7" CST coilvoer lift.
http://www.offroadunlimited.com/new/projects/f150/images/index_76.jpghttp://www.offroadunlimited.com/new/projects/f150/images/paint03.jpg
Kilrtoy about ORU they are a very reputable shop. They offer top notch fabrication and installation. Sometimes their customer service comes up a little short, not sure they respect some of the younger guys that walk in there but they do know their stuff. Only other issue is their prices, they are outrageous! $2000 for a 4wd gear swap is out of this world, should be $1500 at the most. You'll have to work 'em on the price a little but they will come down. About Custom Motorsports...avoid them like the plague. They like to 'modify' 6" lifts and make them 12" just like they did that F-250. Point being they way they modify some of these lifts is out right dangerous and a safety hazard!
Another guy you may want to contact is Frank at Unlimited Customs (http://http://www.reaperracing.com/MainFlash.htm). He is very familiar with Fabtech products, is sponsored by Ford and has built some killer trucks.
http://www.unlimitedcustoms.com/Images/Project%20Vehilces/Excursion/Exctopopage.jpg
CAHotRodBoy, MagicMtnDan, 25Elmn8r and Havasubum nice rides!

riverbound
12-08-2003, 04:04 AM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/505/681side_ext_view_fusion_exp_2.jpg
Here is an expedition we built that was converted to straight axle
24" lift with 44"tires rode like crap

MagicMtnDan
12-08-2003, 06:30 AM
I'm guessing that the Quadrasteer still works? I wondered if/how it would be affected by lifting it. You killed the warranty on that system.
Here's what Chevy's Web site says (some of it) about Quadrasteer:
QUADRASTEER is only offered with the following features:
Limited slip rear differential
145-amp alternator
Marker lamps on roof and rear flared fenders
Traction Assist (2WD models)
Autotrac 4x4 system (4x4 models)
NOTE: QUADRASTEER may reduce the maximum trailer weight ratings on select models.

OGShocker
12-08-2003, 07:02 AM
How much
How high
How is the ride.
Some dumb ass broad pulled up next to us at lunch in her lifted 4X4 F250 6" lift, so it actually sits 9' above mine
So now Mrs Kilrtoy said my truck will look like that.
What company/ brand should we stay away from....
Try giving my buddy Steve a call. I know it is a long way to go for you but He is doing some of the best work out there. They put the right parts on at a fair price, plus he backs up his work!
ACCESSORY HOUSE
5156 HOLT BLVD, MONTCLAIR, CA 91763 (909) 621-5953
PS. Steve has a 2002 2500HD with a 14" lift for sale too. Nice riding truck! Damn thing rides a lot better than my stocker!

NOTALENT
12-08-2003, 11:05 AM
if you want a soft ride and a nice lift I would either go with the fabtech lift or camburg the rest is basically crap. and as far as shocks i would get the fox resivor shocks possibly dual in the front. it will have a extra smooth ride and the shock are also rebuildable. thats just my 2 cents.

MagicMtnDan
12-08-2003, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Bropb16
if you want a soft ride and a nice lift I would either go with the fabtech lift or camburg the rest is basically crap. and as far as shocks i would get the fox resivor shocks possibly dual in the front. it will have a extra smooth ride and the shock are also rebuildable. thats just my 2 cents.
I'll give you 1 cent for that opinion. RCD is far superior to Fabtech. Do some research and you'll see for yourself.

FastTimmy
12-08-2003, 12:13 PM
I can't believe the lack of support.
Blown 572 was the only one to even mention my company.
To anyone that has Fabtech on the 4x4 super duty and thinks it rides good. YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE MISSING.....
As far as Bilstien shock they are a far supperior ride over any fabtech or rancho shock.
Let me elaborate on the shock deal:
With Rancho, Fabtech or any other 25.00$ shock there is no specific application for any shock. If the same shock fits the front to an 85 Toyota and the rear of a 2000 Super duty it will be sold as such. All of the 25.00$ shocks are also an emulsion type shock meaning there is no separation of the air and the oil (the oil that is supposed to control your ride quality).
With a Bilstein shock every shock is application specific, from the correct form and fit to the specific valve rate to match. Bilstein shocks are also not emulsion shocks. They have an internal nitrogen charged reservoir. It works just the same as a race shock with an external reservoir (the can with the hose between it and the shock) just in a tighter package. The shock has a floater piston in the top of the can that separates the gas and oil. By separating the gas and oil you now have a piston working in clean non air-rated environment. Ever gotten air into any hydraulic system? Maybe your brakes! Get a soft peddle, loose good brake control. That is because in stead of trying to control the fluid flow you are now just compressing air.
Do not be fooled. If the price is to good to be true it usualy is!!
We compliment almost every kit we sell with Billstein shock. I say amlost because we make our 2.5" diameter shock that go in our toyota and new 04 F150 kits.
Bilstein builds proprietary shocks for many customers, us being one. It allows someone like us with extensive shock development history and a good feel for what the consumer wants to merge the two into the best shock to compliment our suspension systems.
Timmy

Froggystyle
12-08-2003, 12:15 PM
I'll give you 1 cent for that opinion. RCD is far superior to Fabtech. Do some research and you'll see for yourself.
I am with you on that one. I have ridden in both, and spoken with numerous installers that say the exact same thing.
My 6" RCD is absolutely nicer riding than stock... period.

FastTimmy
12-08-2003, 12:19 PM
Also CST and RCD far surpass Fabtech. Camberg also has good stuff. In the main stream of things, meaning people that care about the ride not just the hight. Donahoe racing, CST and RCD are the high end stuff. The rest is as we say it, JUST A LIFT KIT..

Kilrtoy
12-08-2003, 02:07 PM
You guys are killing, Im back to square one again

FastTimmy
12-08-2003, 02:11 PM
The main bad thing with a Fabtech kit for a 4x2 is that they use a very cheap coil spring in the front. The brackets are good, just the springs suck the big one... :(

Kilrtoy
12-08-2003, 02:13 PM
what did you use Tim
I know your truck looks nice.
Did you do it or the shop
How much

Kilrtoy
12-08-2003, 02:19 PM
Hey Tim who did your truck you or the shop,
I know it looks good,'
Ride is moe important than Height.

jackpunx
12-08-2003, 02:28 PM
It rides good for a lifted truck.. Let me know if you want to take it for a drive
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/943Boat_and_truck-med.jpg

NastyOne
12-08-2003, 02:35 PM
I would like to take her for a ride....... oh the truck, my bad.:D
Ps- Your signature couldnt be any more true.

Ivan Dan
12-08-2003, 02:41 PM
Timmy~ About 3 hours ago I wrote a whole page worth of info including a nice plug for DRE but when I hit the "submit reply" button my browser crashed and I lost it all DAMNIT! I didn't feel like typing it all again and you beat me to it anyways.
One thing I did want to mention was that MagicMountainDan was absolutely correct about the shocks having NOTHING to do with how high the truck is. The springs control the ride height of the truck and the shocks absorb the bumps.
I think Timmy would agree with me here....get the Bilsteins no matter what but spend the extra and go dual shocks in the front especially with the V10 motor.
Timmy knows his stuff he's been around off-road racing a long time. Post a pic of your Toyota Tim....
www.DanKaatz.com

FastTimmy
12-08-2003, 03:21 PM
Dan is calling me out..
I hate it when you get the browser crash. If I do any in depth posts I type it in word and paste it.

SCUBA STEVE
12-08-2003, 03:28 PM
Kilrtoy imo 4x2's are not ment to be lifted. So save your coin and buy the new boat already. :D :D

FastTimmy
12-08-2003, 03:29 PM
Killertoy,
The installl and some of the goodies where done at Robby Gordan off-road here in Anaheim CA, they are one of our local distributers and whanted the press.
Some of the parts I did here: The front bypass shock, The front bumper, the new side bars with steps and some other little things.
Our new web site will be up in the next week or so. www.Donahoeracing.com
It will have a forum lots of bio's. lots of history and pics. The main point of the site is to educate the customer.

Ivan Dan
12-08-2003, 03:39 PM
Hey Timmy....are you having Kreg type this for you? You spell as bad as he does! Ha Ha Ha j/k Tell him I said "what up". Come on post some pics of your trucks....did you end up selling your Yota?
www.DanKaatz.com
Included pics of my old truck....

FastTimmy
12-08-2003, 04:00 PM
I am the fanatic (?) king. See what I mean...

FastTimmy
12-08-2003, 04:01 PM
I did not relies how bad that was until I just read it..

jackpunx
12-08-2003, 04:16 PM
FastTimmy,
I am thinking of buying a new f250 diesel. I want to run 35-37's on it with about a 6" lift.
1st question. Ford has a FXR ??? Not sure.. But the 4x4 package... will that create a good base for a lifted truck.. or do they get rid of everything when they put the after market kit in?.. The only thing on there that I see they should keep is the turning (stabilizer shock)..
2.. with the turbo Diesel motor.. Will I need gears?
Thanks in advance..

twistedpair
12-08-2003, 04:28 PM
I think the Fx4 package is just trim and skid plates and rancho shocks. But I've been wrong before, alot!:D

jackpunx
12-08-2003, 04:33 PM
lol .. thanks.. I think it has a 4" lift too...

FastTimmy
12-08-2003, 05:22 PM
My truck had the FX package on it. the main thing in the kit is the Rancho shocks that are worse than the stock ones. I paid an extra 285.00 bucks for the truck to have shocks and a sticker that I pealed off and through the shocks away. I did not want the kit but it was already on the truck. The fx kit not matter either way. If you find a truckk with out it you just get to save 285.00
Mine is the new 6.0L and it has been great to me. I have some friends that it has been a nightmere to. love mine though.
A 6" kit on 37" tires looks kick ass and still pulls good with stock gears. A guy over at Ford of Orange has 37" and he ordered the truck with4.10's. I personaly didn't think it to be worth the wait and would just pay the 1200.00 bucks to regear.
Our number one seller is our 4.5" kit that runs 35" tires. With the diesel there is no real power change at all. It even seems to like it. This is the kit that some of our ford dealers sell. They say that if they sell a lifted truck that they double there profit on that truck. It is by far a noticably better ride than stock.
My truck has our 10.5" kit with the new goodyear 40"x13"x17" wheel. I regeared to 4.88:1 it is bitchen...

Sherpa
12-08-2003, 05:57 PM
only a complete outright 4x4-wannabe poser would lift a 2wd
truck..............
ESPECIALLY A FRIGGEN TOWRIG FOR PETES SAKE.
But, if you got money to waste, er, spend, go ahead. and when
it's all done,
I DARE YOU TO PUT PICTURES OF IT ON PIRATE4X4.COM.....
--Sherpa
don't be a poser.

boatnam2
12-08-2003, 06:13 PM
hey fast timmy i have a f250 dsl with fab tech 6" liek you said springs are shit.my ? is what spring could i install using my existing lift kit.also what part# on the bilstein shocks for my truck.4x2

Kilrtoy
12-08-2003, 08:50 PM
only a complete outright 4x4-wannabe poser would lift a 2wd ESPECIALLY A FRIGGEN TOWRIG FOR PETES SAKE. But, if you got money to waste, er, spend, go ahead. and when it's all done, I DARE YOU TO PUT PICTURES OF IT ON PIRATE4X4.COM..... --Sherpa don't be a poser.
Wow
Im sorry I upset you Please forgive me. I will write HB asap and ask them to remove this thread I dont want the wife called a poser.
Listen here DICK, when you see me or the wife at the local mud pit trying to 4X. THEN TALK SHIT. Until then shut the Sewer that is spilling that stench.
If the wifes wants HER truck lifted, she'll get. Dont be upset because you cant have one like her.
HOW DO YOU SPELL DICK=SERPA
When It is done Ill post it on there.

Waldo
12-08-2003, 09:14 PM
My thoughts exactly killer...I have a lifted two drive F-150 (Camburg suspension and Bilstein shocks). Romps plenty fast in the desert for me.
What's the big deal Sherpa?? Just because you aren't into it doesn't mean you need to talk trash.
:yuk:

Riverhound
12-08-2003, 09:58 PM
Fast Timmy, I beleive we have meet before at T&J'S. I crewed on Mike and Tommy's class 850 truck when Hoss was still involved.
Are you guys still using Dever for your leafs?
I turned a buddy of mine onto a Donahoe lift for his F250 and he loves it. Can't go with wrong with this kit.

unleashed
12-08-2003, 10:13 PM
Ok I will chime in here. Turbo diesel f250 4*4 3 months old and 8000 trouble free miles pulling my 32 cat to the river several times. Also 4 trips to Glamis pulling a 27 ft. traler. I have an 8 inch fabtec lift on this sucker and its been pretty damn solid so far. The ride is a little bumpy on the 405 and a few other city freeways but once I hit the open road no problems. I also cruise to Olds in Glamis and have never had a problem yet nor have I been stuck. I've pulled out several trucks and motorhomes out of Glamis, so yes Im giving props to my truck(so far that is)and the lift has been solid. Kilrtoy goodluck with you lift if you arent offroading then I wouldnt worry to much about the primo setup. Just go with a reputable installer and get what suits your needs.
Deano
unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com)
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/249glamistruck1.JPG

nextasex
12-08-2003, 10:44 PM
Deano, what size tires and rims you running. I also have f350 crewcab with 8inch fabtech. i run 38's and am thinking of downsizing the tires to 37's.. whatcha think? I just want to pull better. My rims are 16.5 X 10. My tires are 38X15.5X16.5 Swamper radials.
Frank

Hotcrusader76
12-08-2003, 10:57 PM
I've been doing some extensive research on lifts for today's trucks. What I have found is that RCD, Whiplash Suspensions, and Skyjacker are by far the best kits available.
RCD makes an awesome set-up for 2WD trucks and not only rides well but the quality is reflected in their hardware/components.
A new industry provider, Whiplash Suspensions has the market covered with the absolute highest lifts available for the dollar and convenience of maintenance. Ever see a 99 Chevy 4X4 on 39.5" tires (NO BODY LIFT)? They rock and the qaulity is awesome Whiplash Suspensions (http://www.whiplashsuspensions.com)
Skyjacker has the most complete kit that normally doesn't involve chopping and or re-fabricating factory components such as differential housings and or drop-brackets. They've been around awhile and have lead the industry with quality and superior customer service.
If you're going Fabtech....have someone install it. From what I've gathered through the "installers" network is that they often have mis-aligned holes that need to be drilled and chased again. If you're not installing the kit then don't sweat it. Otherwise Fabtech would be my fourth choice.
Hope this all sheds some light for everybody.
~Ty

unleashed
12-08-2003, 11:04 PM
Frank, I have the procomp tires xterrain LT325/80R16. Someone here on the boards said they had problem with cracking after 20,000 miles. So far these tires seem to be pretty quiet with a good ride and no visable defects. Im not sure if they make them for a 16.5 rim though. You'll have to check the website.
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com)

boatnam2
12-08-2003, 11:20 PM
well i own a ford f250 dsl 4x2 and would not be caught dead in one with out a lift.it looks fugly.love the look with a lift but see no reason to buy a 4x4 and pay higher insurance, less gas milage and have to worry about extra components going out(transfer case)when i will never even put it in 4x4 so now sherpa tells me i have wasted my money damm.i will also venture to say most of these 4x4 with 50k in them only see dirt when they park there truck after putting there boat in.

Froggystyle
12-08-2003, 11:49 PM
I have a 4x2 also. It works great, rides awesome, gets better mileage and sees the dirt as much as my last 4x4... which is to say never.
I like the look of the lifted truck more, and I hate stock trucks, so it was either go up or down, and I can bang over curbs now.
Froggy"notaposer"Style...
Sherpa gets the gong.....

Sherpa
12-09-2003, 06:46 AM
I kind of figured on this response.
I must have been in a pretty negative mood yesterday.
sorry to poop in your cherio's.....
I just don't see any point in lifting a truck that won't see
"true" offroad use..........
and my biggest issue with raising a "towrig" is the ability
to tow with it..... (it's main objective) if it was a 4x4, then
yeah, up to 6" lifts are just fine without ruining a towrig.
but, alot of the poser trucks I see look like this:
NO FRONT DRIVELINE........ GEE, WHAT ABOUT THE 4X4 PART-?
A 6" LIFT USING ONLY FRIGGEN BLOCKS........ Yeah, don't drive
that pile-O-shit deathtrap around my family please
40" tires on 12" wheels with 2" backspace.... balljoint-fun anyone?
annnnnnnnnnnd, certainly not last, but, 20 CHROME SHOCKS!
I'm sure some of the crew around here are into jeeps/modified
4x4's, hardcore rigs, tube buggies, etc...........
and some might have the differing opinions regarding lifting a
towrig.
I apologize to kilrtoy for my negative remarks regarding his
lifting of his truck..... sorry dude.
--Sherpa ..........scotty, beam me up now please........

Kilrtoy
12-09-2003, 07:07 AM
Sherpa ,
Accepted.
I am only raising it a little.
I know nothing about this subject so I asked and got a lot of responses from people who do.
I Bought this for towing and the LAST thing I want to do is mess that up.........
Since you have a knowledge on this subject.
Maybe you can help and recommend what I could do. Stock the truck looks funny and the wife wants it changed.....
What is your idea...

FastTimmy
12-09-2003, 07:28 AM
Riverhound,
I am sure I would recognize you when I meet you. Yeh hoss used to do the tranys in my old 7S truck It was the yellow straight axle).
We do still exclusively use Deaver springs for any leaf type system we sell.
All of our springs are made here in the good old USA.
Boatnam2,
I will talk to some of the boys here when they get in and see what or who has springs! We do not yet offer a 4x2 kit so I need to find your shock application. I will post the results later today.
Here is also a couple of links to some of our product info and pricing.
http://www.donahoeracing.com/priceguide2003rev.pdf
http://www.donahoeracing.com/superduty_prod_ov.pdf

y2kboti
12-09-2003, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by FastTimmy
Also CST and RCD far surpass Fabtech. Camberg also has good stuff. In the main stream of things, meaning people that care about the ride not just the hight. Donahoe racing, CST and RCD are the high end stuff. The rest is as we say it, JUST A LIFT KIT..
CST is the way to go for anyone with a GM IFS truck!
Kilrtory if Donahoe made a kit for your truck I would say go with them. Since they don't Fabtech is the way to go.
Originally posted by Hotcrusader76
A new industry provider, Whiplash Suspensions has the market covered with the absolute highest lifts available for the dollar and convenience of maintenance. Ever see a 99 Chevy 4X4 on 39.5" tires (NO BODY LIFT)? They rock and the qaulity is awesome Whiplash Suspensions (http://www.whiplashsuspensions.com)
LOL Whiplash a.k.a Whip"crash" makes some of the worst products on the market. I would not be caught dead with anything they make on my truck. JMO
Skyjacker has the most complete kit that normally doesn't involve chopping and or re-fabricating factory components such as differential housings and or drop-brackets. They've been around awhile and have lead the industry with quality and superior customer service.
Fact is dropping everything is the correct way to lift an IFS truck which I realize Kilrtoy does't have but you are talking about. Skyjackers kit isn't any better than anyone else on the market.
Hope this all sheds some light for everybody.This would help if Kilrtoy had an IFS truck but he doesn't.
Originally posted by Sherpa
40" tires on 12" wheels with 2" backspace.... balljoint-fun anyone?
His truck doesn't have balljoints!

waterndog
12-09-2003, 03:14 PM
Whats a good lift for a Dodge 2500 4x4 ?

boatnam2
12-09-2003, 06:44 PM
waterdog e mail missb she can get a hook up on the guys lifting all the dodge trucks on the lot.

Sherpa
12-10-2003, 07:36 AM
Kilr,
I put up a post about lifting you truck on another forum.
only got 2 hits back.
one saying fabtech quality has gone down since owner sold-?
the other saying that fast timmy was the man......... this comes
from a 4x4 rockcrawler competitor, and a hot boat enthusist -Sp?
so, try donahoe racing as a first stop...
But, what ever you do, please don't go to 4wheel parts..........
enjoy,
--Sherpa