PDA

View Full Version : Another New Jetboat Owner

Hemicbx
12-05-2003, 06:37 PM
Well, I've been looking and reading the boards for months now and I've finally found and picked up my first jet. I've got an 87 Kachina 460 w/ Berk JG and a pile of questions.
I'm not totally new to jets since my dad had an 18 Tahiti when I was growing up so I'm pretty familiar with the basics and the operation of the boat.
I've been getting into it a little bit and need some info on parts, repairs, and replacement stuff.
1st: The shifter was VERY loose & sloppy so I pulled it apart and the flange that mounts it is broken. It's got the name MARIC on it but I don't see this brand in REXMAR or CP catalogs. Any idea wher I can get repair parts or what would be a suitable replacement?
2nd: The steering is a Steermaster Rotary unit. I think it's also quite sloppy. Are these rebuildable? I'm working on pulling it out, but I got minorly hung up on the steering wheel adapter. Are they tapered & do they need a puller?
3rd: Is anyone familiar with a pump mod that converts the rear bearing to a water lubed bushing? The previous owner told me that the pump had been rebuilt and converted to a "dry pump". He said the oil holes in the back are just connected (don't understand that one) and they do no lubing. When I look into the nozzle, the bowl end cap has what appears to be a cone-shaped nut on the end, not the screw-slotted deal like in the parts diagrams.
4th: The boat doesn't have a Bassett T-valve on it. OT headers. Comments?
5th: Where's the best place to get trailer parts, mainly brake stuff?
If you still reading this exceptionally long list of newbie questions - thanks for sticking with it. Thanks in advnce for any input or ideas on any of these items.
Hemicbx
York, PA

Duane HTP
12-05-2003, 07:42 PM
1.Those shifter parts are hard to find by themselves. Email me a picture of it. I've probably got a used one.
2. It may be hard to find parts for a unit that old. Before you spend a lot of money for a cable or something like that, you can buy a whole new steering system for $139.00. Most were tapered. Take the steering wheel nut off about half way. Pull REAL hard on the steering wheel while someone else hits the center nut with a huge phenolic hammer. Be sure to leave the nut partially on so you don't break your nose when it lets go.
3. Yes, a lot of pumps are put together that way, but the flow cone or whatever it is that you're seeing from behind should really have a small hole drilled through the center of it to let some water through.
4. It should have one to stop the water at idle.
5. Just about any local trailer company would probably be able to help you. Those axels are pretty common among trailer mfgs.

roostwear
12-05-2003, 08:10 PM
I dug up this old thread and fixed the HTML (since ***boat "updated" the boards and the image tag is now different...anyway).
Check it out, hope it helps.
Helm replacement (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=19060)

quiet riot
12-05-2003, 08:17 PM
I second what Duane says, I'd probably just replace the steering helm with a new helm/cable if needed. Both rotary and rac/pin are avail fairly cheep to fit most applications. Just remember, it seems you can get the steering helm with cable for just a few bucks more than just buying the helm, and some of the older cable ends don't match up to some new helms. Cables can be just about as expensive by themselves.
I'd just track down a new shifter if ya have trouble finding the same one or replacement parts. A morse single lever and foot pedal or a dual shift/throttle combo in one hande aren't too bad.
jd

Hemicbx
12-05-2003, 08:43 PM
Thanks guys.
Question on the steering helms. Jet is a single cable type, but what's the cable referred to. I see descriptions for Morsre-type cables, etc. The boat has a jetovator. Don't know if this make a difference or not, but just more info.
With regards to the plug in the end of the bowl, I don't see a hole in it. I tried forcing oil into the oil holes on the outside. I had the nipple of the oil bollte in the hole & was squeezing for all I was worth. No oil flow. :confused:
Hemicbx

Duane HTP
12-05-2003, 08:47 PM
No, the Jetavator makes no difference. You can get either rack and pinion, or rotary systems for that price. I prefer the rack and pinion if you have the room under the dash.

WacoTex
12-05-2003, 08:59 PM
Hello All - I am a Brand Newbie! Where is the best place to order parts from? Like that Helm for $139? I need single cable, too. Thanks.

Hustler
12-05-2003, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by WacoTex
Hello All - I am a Brand Newbie! Where is the best place to order parts from? Like that Helm for $139? I need single cable, too. Thanks.
Try here Steering (http://www.rexmar.com/page98.html)

roostwear
12-05-2003, 09:17 PM
It doesn't look like it in one shot, but the Hardin 2900 IS a single cable helm. The "other" cable is just where the cable goes thru the helm when you turn the wheel. In my case, I didn't have the room for a rack and pinion (had one in my Tahiti and loved it), so I had to stay rotary. The 2900 (my length) is $125 and change at CP, butRex (http://www.rexmar.com) is $143 and easier to deal with (IMHO). Steering with a rotary has a litttle (very little) play, but most won't feel it.

Duane HTP
12-06-2003, 05:44 AM
We sell them for that at www.hi-techperformance.com Duane HTP

Hemicbx
12-14-2003, 03:32 PM
Thanks to everyone on your previous responses. I ended up paying a bunch for a replacement Steermaster cable. I took the steermaster unit apart and it was nreally nice inside, no wear. I just couldn't figure out how to justify the cutting & drilling required to mount a new helm on in my 2 week old boat. That gave me an opportunity to readjust the steering & jetovator controls. Nice full range of motion now from stop-to-stop. Didn't have that before.
Anyway, I've been going over my new ride and fixing some basic stuff along the way. I have a few more questions.
I got a direct replacement shifter from Performance Boats in MD & got it installed. What do I need to look for as far as adjustment of the reverse bucket? In the forward position it hits the upper stop & in reverse it closes the whole way. How far open should it be in the neutral position?
The boat has a fuel-water seperator rather poorly installed. Permacool. Looks like a remote mount oil filter. What are your thought on these before I go remount it? Are they necessary, do they work, or are they just a nice insurance policy?
Thanks
Hemicbx