PDA

View Full Version : Ultra Boats

cc322
12-06-2003, 11:35 AM
Looking for some feedback on Ultra boats, quaility rigging ,gelcoat and all around customer service. Good or bad lets have it :D

Jetdriver
12-06-2003, 12:25 PM
Great boats! Talk to John West he is on here and will reply. Good honest guy to deal with from what I have been told. Just dont use West Coast Ultra in Sylmar, they do there own rigging and they dont do it very well.
Just my .02

lovemyultra
12-06-2003, 05:15 PM
I have to disagree about West Coast Ultra Im on my second one from them and both have been sweet in every way rigging customer service everything

Kilrtoy
12-06-2003, 05:33 PM
If your gonna buy an Ultra STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM SYLMAR.
I have two friends that bought there and well, lets just say its not quite up too par or there service either...... Drive to San Diego ......

ryantparks
12-06-2003, 07:05 PM
Go to the 1 in San Diego by all means! Much better service and great people. I dont trust the 1 in the Valley

Dr. Eagle
12-06-2003, 08:56 PM
I think Ultra is a first rate product. Nice styling, gel coat is awesome, rigging is great. John seems real down to earth even though he has been a TV star on Discovery...
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Flying Tiger
12-07-2003, 06:45 AM
Several of my Ultra boat owning friends opted for the cloth interior.
Don't know if they still offer it, but it is (or was) fantastic.
Don't know if other builders offer it, I'm sure they might, but none do that I buy boats from. It's a super fabric. Seems to not get as frying pan hot as most vinel interiors.
Plus it looks excellent.

Ultra5150
12-08-2003, 10:19 AM
Check this baby out!!!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/517Ultra_side-med.JPG
John West and his staff are awsome, this is my second Ultra.

Back To Havasu
12-08-2003, 10:37 AM
I don't own an Ultra, but they make a beautiful boat, and everyone who owns one seems to love them. Many in the know seem to prefer the San Diego/John West Ultra, but as I said, I haven't heard of anyone dissatisfied with the boat or the service.;)

ryantparks
12-08-2003, 07:51 PM
had to add mine

jbtrailerjim
12-08-2003, 09:41 PM
I love mine. I couldn't ask for nicer people to deal with than the guys at Ultra. Here is a picture of my new Ultra.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3693DCP_0485_My_Ultra-med.JPG

LASERRAY
12-08-2003, 09:49 PM
Question : Doesn't John West Own Ultra alltogether? Or just his specific "dealership"! I've heard nothing but good things about John, his products, and his service. I find it hard to beleive that he would put up with all the complaints that I've heard about the Sylmar Ultra dealer. Someone please clue me in.:confused:

jbtrailerjim
12-08-2003, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by LASERRAY
Question : Doesn't John West Own Ultra alltogether? Or just his specific "dealership"! I've heard nothing but good things about John, his products, and his service. I find it hard to beleive that he would put up with all the complaints that I've heard about the Sylmar Ultra dealer. Someone please clue me in.:confused:
From what John told me. He is not going to have the guys in the valley be a dealer for him anymore. He sold them all of his Lightning molds and they are going to be building there own boats now. I'm not sure if they are going to use the Lightning name or not. Probably a smart move by John West since I've heard a lot of complaints about them.

bigq
12-08-2003, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by jbtrailerjim
From what John told me. He is not going to have the guys in the valley be a dealer for him anymore. He sold them all of his Lightning molds and they are going to be building there own boats now. I'm not sure if they are going to use the Lightning name or not. Probably a smart move by John West since I've heard a lot of complaints about them.
Well acording to the ad in traders they are coming out with a Lightning 25XS, so i guess the new line will be the lightning line.

rivercrazy
12-09-2003, 08:50 AM
Don't the Lightnings use similar molds as Ultra's? Wouldn't Ultra then be competing with not just one mfg with the same basic boat but now two? (i.e. Cobra and Ultra of Sylmar?):rolleyes:

Ultra5150
12-09-2003, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by rivercrazy
Don't the Lightnings use similar molds as Ultra's? Wouldn't Ultra then be competing with not just one mfg with the same basic boat but now two? (i.e. Cobra and Ultra of Sylmar?):rolleyes:
It can be the same mold, but they can't compete with John when it comes to customer service and gelcoat experience. Everyone has heard the Cobra stories (do a search) and Sylmar is obviously sub-par.

Johnwithjm
12-09-2003, 09:26 AM
Question : Doesn't John West Own Ultra alltogether? Or just his specific "dealership"! I've heard nothing but good things about John, his products, and his service. I find it hard to beleive that he would put up with all the complaints that I've heard about the Sylmar Ultra dealer. Someone please clue me in.:confused: John also owns the new Ultra dealership in Norco which is a factory direct dealership.

SUPERCREWJOHN
12-09-2003, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by rivercrazy
The Lightning mould are similar to the molds. The difference is very similar to the Essex strategy where you have the Essex ( premium) line and their other line which is still very nice just doesnt have as many bells and wistles and only a limited amount of gel coat designs..

rivercrazy
12-09-2003, 09:44 AM
Yea but if Ultra sold the Lightning molds off to a seperate entity, wouldn't they be in direct competition with someone that has a boat design thats the same as Ultra? (not that differentiation matters all that much in SoCal cause there are sooooo many similar boats in the 21 foot category)

Essex502
12-09-2003, 12:18 PM
I think it's great strategy to have a lower price point line for entry level boaters who, that when treated well, come back and buy the premium models. Works for other industries why not for the boating industry?
The Ultra's I've seen are very nice.

bigq
12-09-2003, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Essex502
I think it's great strategy to have a lower price point line for entry level boaters who, that when treated well, come back and buy the premium models. Works for other industries why not for the boating industry?
The Ultra's I've seen are very nice.
I don't think it does work and that is why Ultra stopped making the Lightning line.
The guy at Laser told me that they were not associated with Essex.:rolleyes:

cc322
12-09-2003, 07:12 PM
Looks like good feedback so far. I have talked to John several times and he seems like a good guy. Ultra does build alot of boats (volume) compared to Lavey, Essex, Hallett. But is that a bad thing? And yes Laser is part of Essex Ron owns one and Steve owns the other but I think they are trying to seperate the two. When I was at Laser the same guys build bothe boats in the same shop.

LASERRAY
12-09-2003, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by bigq
I don't think it does work and that is why Ultra stopped making the Lightning line.
The guy at Laser told me that they were not associated with Essex.:rolleyes:
Not True. I just bought a Laser and it IS the same company.

phebus
12-09-2003, 07:57 PM
Don't most manufacturer's just splash another boat to make their own? Why not sell the molds and make some money off your design.

ryantparks
12-09-2003, 08:38 PM
Since there are alot of us Ultra owners here my question is WHEN IN THE ULTRA REGATTA? I see all these other manufacturers but havent saw any for Ultra. Am I just missing all of them? Let me know because it sure sounds like fun!

bigq
12-09-2003, 08:49 PM
Not True. I just bought a Laser and it IS the same company.
I know, that is why anything else past the point of that lie went in one ear and out the other.
nice boats though.:)

jbtrailerjim
12-09-2003, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by ryantparks
Since there are alot of us Ultra owners here my question is WHEN IN THE ULTRA REGATTA? I see all these other manufacturers but havent saw any for Ultra. Am I just missing all of them? Let me know because it sure sounds like fun!
They did not have one this year. I asked John when they were going to have another one. He told me probably next summer. I think he said maybe around May or June. He said it's tough to find a place big enough to have one due to the amount of Ultra owners there is. They would need a very large beach area and dinner hall to accommodate everyone.

Essex502
12-10-2003, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by bigq
I know, that is why anything else past the point of that lie went in one ear and out the other.
nice boats though.:)
I can't say enough about the treatment we've received from Essex. Also honest and to the point. I don't know who you talked to but Ron and Steve have been very upfront about the ownership of the Laser brand.
I don't want ot hijack this thread about Essex and Laser.
Go see all of the manufacturers and choose whatever you like.

chub
12-10-2003, 01:50 PM
I have a 1993 21' closed bow squirter and love it. Everytime I get the stupid idea of selling it and moving up, I go to the river and pull the cover off and it's over with. I also have the fabric interior and it rocks. I'm suprised how long it's lasted. I can't say enough about ULTRA. I'll probably retire with this boat.
:D :D :p :p

Kilrtoy
12-10-2003, 07:48 PM
Ultra does do the wildest, craziest and most awesome looking GEL JOBS:D

bigq
12-10-2003, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Essex502
I can't say enough about the treatment we've received from Essex. Also honest and to the point. I don't know who you talked to but Ron and Steve have been very upfront about the ownership of the Laser brand.
I don't want ot hijack this thread about Essex and Laser.
Go see all of the manufacturers and choose whatever you like.
Wasn't Ron I know who that is. It was a guy at the Laser place a while ago. Everytime I went to Essex they were great. It's no big deal both are great boats.:D

Kilrtoy
12-10-2003, 08:08 PM
Wasn't Ron I know who that is. It was a guy at the Laser place a while ago. Everytime I went to Essex they were great. It's no big deal both are great boats.
There is a big difference between the two
just like lightning and ultra

FingerTight
12-11-2003, 12:13 AM
I am gonna claim oldest ULTRA here.
'88 open bow, all original.
The gel is perfect (did some minor polishing this summer, but it shines like a new penny) The interrior is all original and in gerat shape. I have been debating redoing it for style points, but it is so damn functional. A+ boat.
See below for a pic.

Kilrtoy
12-11-2003, 01:03 AM
Who founded ultra
And
Yes that boat looks good

LASERRAY
12-11-2003, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by Kilrtoy
Wasn't Ron I know who that is. It was a guy at the Laser place a while ago. Everytime I went to Essex they were great. It's no big deal both are great boats.
just like lightning and ultra
Well, I don't know about that. My Laser is fully loaded. I really feel like my boat has everything that i need and more. I'm very happy with it. You can check it out in a few short months Kilrtoy. Deal?:cool:

Kilrtoy
12-11-2003, 01:21 AM
Thats all I posted
But yes there is a difference
That is why a Essex goes for 50K
and a LASER goes for 35k
Same hull
Different lay up.....

Essex502
12-11-2003, 07:11 AM
Thats all I posted
But yes there is a difference
That is why a Essex goes for 50K
and a LASER goes for 35k
Same hull
Different lay up.....
Have to disagree with you there, Killer...different hull and different layup. The Essex hulls are much more stout than the Laser but that doesn't make the Laser not a good boat - it just won't take the pounding that an Essex hull will take.
I never have been to the Laser showroom so I can't comment on what a sales puke said or didn't say.

Kilrtoy
12-11-2003, 09:57 AM
From my understanding the 22 laser and the essex vortex are the same hull
That is what my buddy who has a vortex told me.....

Essex502
12-12-2003, 08:15 AM
My last phone conversation with one of the Essex folks indicated that no Essex to Laser hull commonality existed. But then again...I would expect them to say that from the Essex side. Whatever.
The specs on the two from their websites:
Centerline Length: 22'6" (Essex Vortex) - 22'1" (Laser Vision)
Beam: 94" (Essex Vortex) - 93" (Laser Vision)
Cockpit Width: 76" (Essex Vortex) - 72" (Laser Vision)
Draft: 17" (Essex Vortex) - 19" (Laser Vision)
Freeboard: 25" (Essex Vortex) - 21" (Laser Vision)
Entry: 33° (Essex Vortex) - 27° (Laser Vision)
Deadrise: 21° (Essex Vortex) - 19° (Laser Vision)
They do look similar

NashvilleBound
12-13-2003, 02:19 PM
I see I'm a little late on this thread but I would like to add that my 2001 Ultra 247XS is as close to the perfect ride, for my needs, as I could possibly get. Having a HP500EFI, WhippleCharged and every option under the sun it's going to be hard someday to replace it. It's my first boat and John helped me through the whole gig. I'm into my 3rd season and right around 200 hours.....not one problem. Course, my replacement will most likey be an Ultra.... Use the San Diego office too.

cc322
12-13-2003, 03:53 PM
Having almost bought a Laser before I bought my Renegade, I can tell you for sure that the 22 Essex vortex, and the 22 laser vision, (really 21 footers) are NOT the same hull. The Essex is a much deeper bottom and alot more freeboard, it also is a step bottom. Also the vortex has a way deeper entry in the front than the laser. The bottom of the laser uses the same bottom as the old Essex 21 genesis, which Essex no longer builds. I think Laser has a good thing going with thier boats, I really like the 23 Apex they have.

LASERRAY
12-13-2003, 04:58 PM
Without telling you guys something that you already know by now, The Laser Vision and Essex Vortex due appear similar initially, but you really do have to scope out the specs in order to find the differences. I looked at both boats before I bought the LASER. I didn't chose the LASER because I thought it was a better boat, I just thought it was better for me.:cool:
Good Replys ESSEX502, and CC322.;)

Dr. Eagle
12-14-2003, 12:24 PM
Who founded ultra
And
Yes that boat looks good
I am not sure who actually founded the company, but at the time this boat would have been built, I believe it was owned by Jerry Van Beek. The shop was in Pomona at the time. Carter Reed of Warlock fame was involved in the early 90s with Ultra.
Later in the mid 90s the company had financial difficulties and was later sold in 1995.

h2oedits
12-14-2003, 10:08 PM
I'm on my second Ultra, a 27' Shadow Cat -- previous was a 21'LX pre-John West. I've also driven and looked very closely at 15-20 Ultras over the last 5 years or so, and in my opinion they build one of the best performance boats on the market. Great styling, excellent finish work, and efficient performance...
Other advantages include complete flexibility w/gelcoat, seating, hardware, etc. -- they'll take things as far as you want to go. My boat was the long-awaited "Project Boat" done in conjunction with the magazine -- was the first 27 Shadow out of the molds. My boat is about 5 mph slower than other Shadows w/similar power--my X dimension is WAY too low, it turns out, and the X was raised immediately after mine -- but it still performs great. I have about 25 hours on it, and like it better than the day I got it, and better than the last time I drove it -- a good sign. Sorry for the commercial message--just my personal opinion...

h2oedits
12-15-2003, 01:09 AM
Better than you might think...but the tow-along fuel barge was a bitch!

LOWRIVER2
12-15-2003, 08:12 AM
Ultra certainly has one of the more colorful history stories behind it. I bought my 94' 21 LX last year from the orig. owner who had Bohn (Cobra) boats rig it.
I talked to an owner of a 96 who was one of the last guys to buy a boat from Van Beek. The guy had vision, but turned into an ass at the end. He sold this guy a 21 LX with a 26 gal. tank (standard) and an 18 gallon tank (from an 18) cause he was in a hurry. The guy went to pick it up and found his boat (black/purple/blue) on a teal green trailer. Turns out Van Beek had taken the trailer from a boat he had already sold and put this boat on it and insisted it was to be with the black boat (!). The owner took the boat, ran the VIN number and found the real owner and gave it to him. The owner then went, got his trade in boat and took it to another boat mfg. and traded it for a new white trailer. When Van Beek threatened to call the police, the owner said "go ahead, let's see how you explain how you gave me someone else's trailer?" Van Beek walked away, and his doors closed soon after that.
John West did a lot of work to bring Ultra to a uniform production facility and, of course, made a few enemies along the way. I admire his dedication to making a quality boat at a good price and he obivously has a good following. He helped me out via email on my boat (info.) even after he knew it was'nt made at his shop. He takes the namesake of Ultra as his co. and trys hard to make sure his customers are satisfied.
As for mine, it's clean and is good for it's era (94). I'd recommend San Diego Ultra to anyone as I've seen many in person on the water and all were well rigged and had happy, satisfied owners.
And remember to visit Inland Ultra in Norco, anyone who knows John D there knows he's a stand up /good guy that will do you right on a sale as well.

98 Ultra Jet Boat Newbie
12-17-2003, 07:43 PM
cc322....gotta agree with Jetdriver and Kilrtoy. I was VERY unimpressed with Ultra Sylmar. Started hunting around 7 months ago and hit Sylmar first, as they were the closest. Stood around waiting and waiting and waiting and did'nt so much as get an eye blink out of anyone. I grabbed some brochures and headed out back where the "work in progress" was hiding. Saw some awesome hulls laying around ready to be fitted with the goods and most with bad ass gel coats and paint schemes, but every one of them (7-8 total) had 4-6 inches of nasty jacked-up water in them that smelled like a gump. Granted, water cant hurt the hulls, but that was enough for me to see....especially when it had'nt rained in 3-4 weeks and you gotta figure your gonna drop 35-37K for a new 21' Ultra, just to get into it on the bottom end.
If you want some great customer service, gotta hit up San Diego area (El Cajon). I know its a haul, but at least call them. Check out web site at www.ultraboats.com. Also checkout Cobra boats in San Fernando. Heard they took over one of the ultra shops in and are basically building the same boat for $3-5 thousand less, to bring there name up on top of the pile of builders. Seem like pretty good folks too.
I picked up m 1998 21' LX using a Boat Trader. Scored from a cop in Castaic. Was not 100% what I was looking for (had a jet drive) but am real happy with it. The thing looked and drove like new, had a big block and thru transom exhaust with anodized everything and seats 11. Had only a couple hundred hours on her, trailer was tandom with disc brakes and everything clean as the day it was bought. The guy even drove it to my house when the deal was done. I have grown into the jet pump because of the trade off for safety, shallow water runnin and simplicity, but honestly, she gets a tad less gas mileage and looses about 5MPH over the same boat with a prop....but I can nail the throttle idling and dont have to worry about cavitation. Pros and Cons no matter what way you go.
Hope this helps and good luck bro....you wont be sorry.

98 Ultra Jet Boat Newbie
12-17-2003, 07:55 PM
It works for me without blowing out the pocket book......

boatnam2
12-18-2003, 09:41 PM
if anyone new half the shit jerry van beek pulled you would fall over in your chair.met a guy at the 93 regatta got to be pretty good river freinds for few years he did all jerrys drywall evertime he would move shop. i think three times the first year i had my ultra 1993.i could not believe some of the stories.and of course the 93 regatta never seen anything like it in my life and it will never be duplicated.talk about a party whne the owner is throwing hundred dollars bill on the floor for the raffle.

Dr. Eagle
12-18-2003, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by boatnam2
if anyone new half the shit jerry van beek pulled you would fall over in your chair.met a guy at the 93 regatta got to be pretty good river freinds for few years he did all jerrys drywall evertime he would move shop. i think three times the first year i had my ultra 1993.i could not believe some of the stories.and of course the 93 regatta never seen anything like it in my life and it will never be duplicated.talk about a party whne the owner is throwing hundred dollars bill on the floor for the raffle.
That is interesting, my friend had bought a boat that had been made for Van Beeks son and was a couple of years old. At the 1993 Regatta, the boat started taking on water. He got underneath the boat and found that there were cracks lengthwise under the boat. He confronted Jerry and he agreed to fix it or make him a new boat. The stringers had been set after the resin bed had already gelled, so the adhesion was not good. Eventually the stringers delaminated from the hull and the hull cracked.
They ended up building him a new boat and screwed up the graphics and used cheezy upholstery. They didn't polish out the gelcoat and it looked like it had orange peel on the bottom...really bad.
It was obvious that Ultra was going in the tank...
Oh and mine being a 1994, it has those little fuel tanks too...
:mad:

bigd1
12-19-2003, 02:22 PM
What type of material is the cloth interior made of? I saw an Ultra in ***boat recently that had an all black cloth interior - looked really cool. Was wondering if it's waterproof at all, etc.

LASERRAY
12-19-2003, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by bigd1
What type of material is the cloth interior made of? I saw an Ultra in ***boat recently that had an all black cloth interior - looked really cool. Was wondering if it's waterproof at all, etc. It's made of cloth.:D

Kilrtoy
12-19-2003, 06:16 PM
LASERRAY STOP LYING
It's made of cloth
Cloth is made out of Cotton. DUH
Thats like saying gas is made from oil
DUH
Everyone knows gas is made from beans...

LASERRAY
12-19-2003, 06:25 PM
LASERRAY STOP LYING
It's made of cloth
Cloth is made out of Cotton. DUH
Thats like saying gas is made from oil
DUH
Everyone knows gas is made from beans... Yes, but is the GAS from your Ass made of cloth?:D

Kilrtoy
12-19-2003, 06:30 PM
Sometimes it STAINS THE CLOTH MY BROTHA FROM ANOTHER MOTHA.

LASERRAY
12-19-2003, 06:36 PM
Sometimes it STAINS THE CLOTH MY BROTHA FROM ANOTHER MOTHA. WIPE, WIPE REPEAT. WIPE, WIPE, REPEAT. WIPE, WIPE, REPEAT!:D

missboatnam1
12-19-2003, 08:17 PM
i think after the big saturday night raffle jerry had brought a few boat with him to the regatta for the emplyes.if i remeber correctly he got in a fight after the banquet and a few of his boat were sank the next morning.mine had the cloth interior i loved it but it went to shit after about five years.i never had aproblem with my boat 6 years back then iwas running it hard at least 3 times a week.he also bought him a carter harleys for the ride down carter was pissed he was the tight wad.i think he also purchased bolt on's for a couple of the girls that worked there.we got to the dinner late it was set up like a wedding with the head table up front for carter, jerry and family so jerry set sit here carter wont show up just about as were ready to eat carter walks in i felt like a dumb ass but he turned around and left.

jbtrailerjim
12-20-2003, 12:05 PM
I have a friend that was scewed over by Jerry with his Ultra around 1993. His girlfiend hit a rock in Havasu and did some damage to the hull and had some water damage to the interior. He turned it into his insurance. He took the boat back to Ultra so Jerry could fix it. The boat sat there for several months and he made trip's often down there to check on it and to bitch at Jerry to ask him when they were ever going to finish it.
Well one day he goes down there to check on his boat and he find's his boat is still in pieces. Jerry's nowhere to be found. Well he was pissed and said **** it I'm taking it out of here. The only problem is he can't find his engine, outdrive, or any of the old interior. All he has is a bare hull with the gauges and some of the wireing harness left. I can't remember if he called the police or not but he did call his insurance company and told them what happened. The insurance company had already paid Jerry for the work and Jerry had done nothing to the boat and he basically stole his engine and outdrive out of his boat. I'm sure he probably stuck the engine and outdrive in somebody else's new boat and the purchaser of the new boat had no idea that they had a used engine and outdrive in there new boat.
My buddy ended up coming out alright with his boat. He ended up taking it to Commander and they fixed it, installed a brand new engine, outdrive, new interior. All was covered by his insurance. But he did lose a whole summer of boating.
He did eventually run into Jerry a year or two later at the L.A. boat show. Jerry tried to shake his hand and be nice to him when my buddy walked up to him. Needless to say my buddy blew up and ripped him a new asshole right in the middle of the show and told him what a piece of shit he is and nothin but a thief.
I think John West has done a hell of a job taking that company over and building it's name back up again. It took a lot of balls to take over a company that's reputation was basically in the toilet.
I was very hesitant to buy a boat from Ultra when I bought mine this summer. They were the last builder I visited. I had alway's thought Ultra built awesome looking boat's and I loved my buddies boat. But the experience that my buddy had left a bad taste in my mouth and I was very leery. But I came on here and did a search and found a lot of possitve responses and happy customers. So I went down there and visited them and the rest is history.
I'm very happy with my boat and Ultra. I would definitely recommend them to anyone.
Sorry to be so long winded.:D
Jim

rvrtoy
12-20-2003, 12:23 PM
I have a friend that was scewed over by Jerry with his Ultra around 1993. His girlfiend hit a rock in Havasu and did some damage to the hull and had some water damage to the interior. He turned it into his insurance. He took the boat back to Ultra so Jerry could fix it. The boat sat there for several months and he made trip's often down there to check on it and to bitch at Jerry to ask him when they were ever going to finish it.
Well one day he goes down there to check on his boat and he find's his boat is still in pieces. Jerry's nowhere to be found. Well he was pissed and said **** it I'm taking it out of here. The only problem is he can't find his engine, outdrive, or any of the old interior. All he has is a bare hull with the gauges and some of the wireing harness left. I can't remember if he called the police or not but he did call his insurance company and told them what happened. The insurance company had already paid Jerry for the work and Jerry had done nothing to the boat and he basically stole his engine and outdrive out of his boat. I'm sure he probably stuck the engine and outdrive in somebody else's new boat and the purchaser of the new boat had no idea that they had a used engine and outdrive in there new boat.
My buddy ended up coming out alright with his boat. He ended up taking it to Commander and they fixed it, installed a brand new engine, outdrive, new interior. All was covered by his insurance. But he did lose a whole summer of boating.
He did eventually run into Jerry a year or two later at the L.A. boat show. Jerry tried to shake his hand and be nice to him when my buddy walked up to him. Needless to say my buddy blew up and ripped him a new asshole right in the middle of the show and told him what a piece of shit he is and nothin but a thief.
I think John West has done a hell of a job taking that company over and building it's name back up again. It took a lot of balls to take over a company that's reputation was basically in the toilet.
I was very hesitant to buy a boat from Ultra when I bought mine this summer. They were the last builder I visited. I had alway's thought Ultra built awesome looking boat's and I loved my buddies boat. But the experience that my buddy had left a bad taste in my mouth and I was very leery. But I came on here and did a search and found a lot of possitve responses and happy customers. So I went down there and visited them and the rest is history.
I'm very happy with my boat and Ultra. I would definitely recommend them to anyone.
Sorry to be so long winded.:D
Jim
Thanks for the props Jim. John has not been in here a lately but i am going to print this thread for him to see. I'm glad you are enjoying your new 247.
By the way..I gave someone your phone numbers re: your Essex yesterday.
Steve

Dr. Eagle
12-20-2003, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by bigd1
What type of material is the cloth interior made of? I saw an Ultra in ***boat recently that had an all black cloth interior - looked really cool. Was wondering if it's waterproof at all, etc.
You mean like this?
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1152boat_front_top.jpg
This is the bow of my boat. The fabric was used a lot by Ultra and Advantage (as well as others) in the early 1990s. It seems to hold up OK, but when it starts to look bad, it looks really bad. Mine is in good shape, the bow area was reupholstered a couple of years ago.

Infomaniac
12-22-2003, 12:14 AM
Mrs. Infomaniac loves her Ultra. Even if it is the Okie 23XS version.
Not very many California customs out here.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/211Okie5.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/211Ultra1.JPG

Havasu_Dreamin
12-23-2003, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by cc322
The Essex is a much deeper bottom and alot more freeboard, it also is a step bottom. .
Not entirely true. The Vortex is not a step hull in the same theory as a step hull from say Lavey Craft. The Vortex has a notch in the delta pad, as does the Tempest, Alandra and new Valor. This notch does not extend all the way out to the sides of the boat like a traditional step does.
Edit: Just to make it clear, Laser is part of Essex. Both are owned by Ron and Steve. The theory behind bringing the Laser line to market was to provide an entry level custom boat at an affordable price. A Laser is in no way, shape or form equivalent to an Essex. Yes, the same guys build and rig them, yes they use the same resins and glass materials, no they are not laid up in the exact same manner and the molds are completly different. To draw a compariosn to the auto industry, the Laser is a Chevy and the Essex is a Cadillac. That's not to knock the Laser line as they are damn fine boats, but they are not an Essex.

Dr. Eagle
12-23-2003, 02:57 PM
Hey Info,
Nothing Okie about that boat, cept that it is in Okie Lahoma! Which is a beautiful state BTW. Nice boat!

RUCAV
01-04-2004, 12:37 AM
I shopped around quite a bit looking for boats. I hate salesman of any kind so I sent emails to all the manufacturers I was interested in dealing with. John's price from our second conversation was extremely close to the final price. He was one of the few (very few) who didnt waste my time.
From the times I have talked to him, he seems big on loyalty. To his customers and employees. Also, while I was in the El Cajon shop drawing up the design for my boat, a guy came in and fired off a bunch of questions to John. When he left, John said he had no intention of selling that guy a boat. He wants Ultra owners to be happy and he knew he could never make that guy happy. He'd give up a sale to keep the name unblemished.
Also, he can freehand draw like a MO FO. I gave him pictures of different boats and some very general guidelines. He read my freakin mind. He drew the draft for my boat in about 30 minutes and this is how it came out. I think its awesome, and I could care less that im not impartial.

25 Eagle
01-04-2004, 04:34 PM
RUCAV...your right about the drawing. Best looking gel coat schemes in the business.

HighRoller
01-11-2004, 06:15 PM
My buddy has a 20XT that he got from Sylmar. They screwed him on a MerCruiser warranty issue and he had to take it somewhere else to have it worked on. His friend ordered a brand new 247XS a month later and never got the boat. After 7 months the guy had to physically go and make Jason write him a check for his deposit money because the boat still wasn't done. Jason is the son of that guy Jerry so stay away! I've never heard a good thing about that shop either. My friend's boat is beautiful but ever since he got it he's never been back to that place. The lightning boats that Ultra sold were Ultra hulls with less Gel colors and less fancy powdercoat options. Same boat, less Bling. As much as I'd love a new Ultra I just looked on their site and saw the 2004 prices. 48K for a 21ft bowrider equipped with a 350 mag? Are they kidding?

Dr. Eagle
01-11-2004, 06:38 PM
Yeah, but it has a leather interior....
I know the prices seem to be getting ahead of the product...

lovemyultra
01-11-2004, 06:54 PM
Jason is Jerry s brother I wonder how they stay in bussiness if they are as bad as all of these second hand stories that we are only hearing one side of ? Just think about it I dont know about anyone but me but they have done everything for me ,but I have only had a few issues everything less than 500 bucks but never put out a dime but the way it sounds I must be the only one ever

Dr. Eagle
01-11-2004, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by lovemyultra
Jason is Jerry s brother I wonder how they stay in bussiness if they are as bad as all of these second hand stories that we are only hearing one side of ? Just think about it I dont know about anyone but me but they have done everything for me ,but I have only had a few issues everything less than 500 bucks but never put out a dime but the way it sounds I must be the only one ever
I used to work for AT&T Wireless, and their marketing folks used to pound into our heads about how perceptions are transmitted.
1 person in 10 may tell someone else about a positive experience but 1 person will usually tell 10 people of a negative experience.
I am sure there is a certain amount of that going on here.
I do know that my friend did not have a good experience in any dealings he had with Jerry Van Beek.
But one does have to wonder how they could stay in business if all of their customers were treated like the reports we hear on this forum.:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

HighRoller
01-11-2004, 07:25 PM
I think they market their services like they are a part of John's operation. I spoke to Jason at the boat show about a 22 Stealth and he told me they had one at the shop that I could look at. I drove all the way over there and there was nothing but 21's and 247's in the showroom. Dude seemed like a space case to me. I tried to ask him about specific power options and he kept saying "I'll have to ask John about it." He didn't know squat.

lovemyultra
01-11-2004, 07:29 PM
And with all due respect to everyone that has posted on this issue I have never met Jerry and dont know anything about him I only know about Jason and he has been a stand up guy with me for two boats and a few years now

KineticoH20
08-06-2004, 10:28 PM
I used to work for AT&T Wireless, and their marketing folks used to pound into our heads about how perceptions are transmitted.
1 person in 10 may tell someone else about a positive experience but 1 person will usually tell 10 people of a negative experience.
I am sure there is a certain amount of that going on here.
I do know that my friend did not have a good experience in any dealings he had with Jerry Van Beek.
But one does have to wonder how they could stay in business if all of their customers were treated like the reports we hear on this forum.:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
Let me chime in here,i have been a multi boat owner for 25 yrs,and recently purchased a boat from Jerry at Genesis.I do not know him from his past so i can't comment.Since my purchase i have been treated with respect,honesty,and genuine customer service.Genesis is doing some of the best gel work in the industry bar none.The Casalis brothers are awesome boat builders.I have spent hours watching my boat being built and can say without a doubt that the cutting corners that i have seen in boats built by others including Ultra are not being done at Genesis.They are truly building awesome boats.

BoatPI
08-07-2004, 05:31 AM
I often wondered why John West continued to sell hulls to Jason at "West Coast Ultra". If anyone purchased an boat from there, it was a hit and miss.
A "dealer". Think of this, Ford makes cars, they sell them through dealers as a fully assembled product. John West sold empty hulls to Jason. They often sat in the rain, etc. Then he would totally build the boat from the empty hull to finished product. Ask yourself, is that a "dealer". In recent years no one can dispute the excellent work John West is doing is San Diego. A far cry from at least two Stealth's Jason Van Beek made that sank the first time out because some fool in his "dealership" forgot to use sealant in the hull/deck bond. Opp's!!!!!!!!!! Then one boat was returned and they put sealant on the seam like they were sealing a bathtub with caulking.
Oh, and to complete a few parts of the story that are missing, how about "John" at the former Raysoncaft fame (Gardena). He sold Ultra's for awhile too. I noted at least five boats in the mid 80's to early 90's that DID NOT have a HIN. Gee, who's boat was that without any identifying marks???
A very checkered past, mainly during the transition from Jerry Van Beek to John West.
And has anyone one ever asked the question or asked to see the product libiality insurance of the boats Jerry "nice guy" Van Beek is currently selling. I hope it is not like to old saying, you buy a $10 helmet for a $10 head.
Would anyone trust their life or their family members life in a boat built by someone that DOES NOT have insurance. THINK!
Ask to see the documents. Protect yourself.

Johnwithjm
08-07-2004, 08:22 AM
Just for the record john West does own the Norco Ultra dealership. This dealership is a factory direct dealer and all the boats are built by John in ElCajon. The dealer in San Fernando in now lightning boats. Our dealership in Norco is moving to a new 14,000 square Ft location in Sept. We will have a huge showroom with full service and a parts dept.

RUCAV
08-07-2004, 08:24 AM
Where will the new shop be John? By the way, thanks for sending that check out so quick. I blinked and it was there.

Johnwithjm
08-07-2004, 08:26 AM
Where will the new shop be John? By the way, thanks for sending that check out so quick. I blinked and it was there.Your welcome Rick. The new shop will be at 341 S. Maple St in Corona

78Southwind
08-07-2004, 11:17 PM
:cool: :idea:

slink
08-08-2004, 10:05 AM
Your welcome Rick. The new shop will be at 341 S. Maple St in Corona Man, talk about a one stop shopping mall. Shockwave, Caliber 1, Aftershock/Carrera, Commander, Dana Marine, GS marine and now Ultra will all be within one mile of each other. Cool

voodoomedman
08-09-2004, 09:55 AM
"Just for the record john West does own the Norco Ultra dealership. This dealership is a factory direct dealer and all the boats are built by John in ElCajon. The dealer in San Fernando in now lightning boats. Our dealership in Norco is moving to a new 14,000 square Ft location in Sept. We will have a huge showroom with full service and a parts dept.
Bought my boat from John and Bob and Dealt with John West in the process. They are all equally as honorable and work hard to make their customers happy. 14k sq ft. and parts. There goes my wallet again. Can't wait to see it.

OC Ultra
08-09-2004, 05:52 PM
I have the last 210RS John sold, and its been great. We had a little warranty issue.....and Ultra was great went over & above to make things right.

NashvilleBound
08-10-2004, 11:20 AM
2001 Ultra 247 HP500EFI Whipplecharged. Every option available. John totaly guilded me through the build prosses and went WAY past the call on some issues. If I didn't need something bigger I would never have this for sale!!!!
First rate all the way!

Captain Dan
08-19-2004, 02:49 PM
I guess we have heard stories of the Van Beeks, but Ultra is no longer the Van Beeks - it's John West all the way.
Three months ago I took delivery on a 24 Stealth directly from John in El Cajon and I'm extremely pleased. The gelcoat is a work of art. The boat is well built and John makes sure that each buyer is kept satisified every step of the way. In service/delivery, Mike was extremely knowledgable and paid very close attention to detail.
They are a great team, I'm verry happy I chose Ultra. :)

Ultracrazy
08-19-2004, 03:13 PM
Dan........do you ever get out to the river near Needles? My next boat will the 24 (I have a 21 stealth) and I haven't seen one on the water yet. How does it do in heavy chop? What type of power did you opt for?
Thanks...
UC

NashvilleBound
08-19-2004, 03:25 PM
...... My next boat will the 24
Thanks...
UC
HELLOOOO... Ultra 247 for sale here....HP500EFI Whipplecharged.....

Captain Dan
08-19-2004, 03:29 PM
Most of the time we are either in Havasu or up at Cottonwood, but on certain days at havasu we do run up there towardsNeedles. It might be next season before I get back to Havasu.
I opted for the 496HO and it does well in chop. I have had it in pretty deep chop running up to the Sandbar - it does still knock you around some, considering we are sharing the water with larger and larger boats out there, but it performs well.
I'm sure it will be a world of difference over your 21, considering the freeboard.
Im pulling high 60's with people on the boat. If I had 1/4 full tanks, no cooler, no people and no gear, I'm sure I would be in the low 70's, but that's not real world. It's a zippy boat - lots of fun and LOTS of deck space. I can be fully loaded (cooler, wakeboard, skis, personal items, BBQ) and have absolutely nothing out on the deck to trip over. I opted out of the mid-cabin seats, (no headroom) and I have a cooler on the driver side and storage for the pass side. It's an awesome boat.

NashvilleBound
08-19-2004, 03:41 PM
Runs right at 90GPS......You would look good in it, I promise.

Ultracrazy
08-19-2004, 04:32 PM
Hehehe.....that's funny Nash......okee, okee........how does YOUR boat do in the chop? And........how in the hell do I get your boat from point A to B??

NashvilleBound
08-20-2004, 03:58 AM
Lets see...Its been in Havasus worst and still goes balls out...not 90 mind you but you can cut through 2-3' at 60mph like its not there. It cruises comfortably in mild chop at 70+. We were in Mohave, launched from Catherins Landing(?) went up to the dam and on our return it was 5-6 footers...got through it alright but scared the kah-rap out of us! Post a thread for all the hundreds of West Coasters that have ridden in this sled and see what they say. Point A to B.....I'm guessing that will be my gig...since I dont have a "job" according to my wife :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
I'm flexable to some extent for financing too....short term. Another thing is I'm as anal as they come with keeping her inside and maintained....and it shows! If you want a full listing if what it has and what I have done just let me know......

JustMVG
08-20-2004, 04:51 AM
Describe "Short Term" 1 week 2 weeks..... :D MVG

NashvilleBound
08-20-2004, 05:02 AM
Describe "Short Term" 1 week 2 weeks..... :D MVG Come on there Mikey...shushhh. Don't want to scare the guy away quite yet :devil: :devil: :devil:

JustMVG
08-20-2004, 05:20 AM
My Bad :squiggle: :rolleyes: MVG

NashvilleBound
08-20-2004, 05:26 AM
Saw'll gooood....

Ultracrazy
08-20-2004, 08:23 AM
Okee Nash........you have peeked my interest. Give me the lowdown on that sled of yours.........and start from the begining :cool:

NashvilleBound
08-20-2004, 08:36 AM
Back in 2000 I met John and over the next 6 months designed the graphics and with his help the power. This was my first boat(that I owned) and one of his first high end 247's. Together we had this as an end result.......
> 2001 Ultra 247XS
> HP500EFI with WhippleCharger (added at 100hrs)
> Approximately 190 hours total (still enjoying the season)
> XR drive
> Dana Offshore Tabs, cup holders.....etc
> Custom Extreme trailer with 5000 lb axles instead of 3200
> 4 wheel disc brakes instead of 2.
> Its the best trailer I have ever towed with!
> 29" tires to keep from dragging the drive through dips.
> WPM external steering
> Billet marine oil filter w/ cartridge (no more spilling oil everywhere)
> Billet Marine top cap w/ shower for the drive
> New GPS speedo
> Gaffrig gauges
> Full instrumentation
> No stereo...all my friends have them
> 28" Bravo 1 prop included
> Matching Bimini with flush mounts
> double tow cover and a seperate mooring cover
> 90 MPH GPS
> $67,000
> 615-714-8100 Delivery possible anywhere.
The boat runs perfect...not even a hick-up!
Thats the scoop..... FYI: No ones ever barfed in it either...I have always thrown them overboard! :D

Ultracrazy
08-20-2004, 09:05 AM
Wow........that's a nice set up Nash.
You had me at "no one's ever barfed in it".
Okee.....I'm going to do my homework Nash. There is not a lot I don't like about the set up.
UC

NashvilleBound
08-20-2004, 09:40 AM
If I didn't need at least twice the room for my evergrowing family I would never give this up. Never...ever...whichever is longer. :rolleyes:

Ultracrazy
08-20-2004, 11:07 AM
That was my next question "why"?. My family is going the other direction......smaller.

NashvilleBound
08-20-2004, 11:12 AM
Looks like were going with one of the newer 28ft Sport Decks...like the Trident Revolution or Cobra Python with a tower and some other trick stuff...still going with 850+ hp tho :mix:

jbtrailerjim
08-20-2004, 12:54 PM
The new shop will be at 341 S. Maple St in Corona
I was just in Corona and saw where the new location is gonna be. That's gonna be nice and it will have some great exposure for sure. So, if anyone is in the market for a new boat and your going to Caliber 1 or Shockwave. Be sure to stop in and have a look at an Ultra on your way there. Because your gonna pass right by the new Ultra location before you get to either one of them. :D

bchbum
09-11-2004, 06:39 AM
I just got a flyer from Ultra about their new showroom in Huntington Beach .This is way to close to me , my 21' might grow to a 247 .

NashvilleBound
09-11-2004, 06:50 AM
I just got a flyer from Ultra about their new showroom in Huntington Beach .This is way to close to me , my 21' might grow to a 247 .
bchbum...if you want one let me know...mines for sale. John just put it on his site. www.ultracustomboats.com

voodoomedman
09-11-2004, 10:12 AM
bchbum...if you want one let me know...mines for sale. John just put it on his site. www.ultracustomboats.com
You might want to check that out as I don't think you can buy the 247 new anymore. You can buy the 24 Stealth though. Sweet boat. 70 mph. More freeboard. More space... Visit that showroom and talk to them about it. Any questions you can PM me too and I'll be glad to answer.

bchbum
09-12-2004, 07:01 AM
I would love to pickup a bigger ,faster boat , but working for a local
goverment that is going to be $100 million in the hole in 2 years , I need to hold back on the toys . I can still dream & hope .

hydrostream'n
09-15-2004, 07:53 PM
I'm thinking about the 22' Stealth. I boat on the Chesapeak Bay, Atlantic Ocean, and an occasional trip to the local rivers. Can anyone tell me how the 22' Stealth handles beach runs in the Ocean and rough bay chop? How would I deal with John and get this boat out to the east coast? Is it worth the hassle or should I just find a local boat (from the sounds of all these comments I really should deal with Ultra). This will be my first new boat and first custom Hot Boat so I need lots of help and advice, so thanks in advance.

voodoomedman
09-15-2004, 09:38 PM
I'm thinking about the 22' Stealth. I boat on the Chesapeak Bay, Atlantic Ocean, and an occasional trip to the local rivers. Can anyone tell me how the 22' Stealth handles beach runs in the Ocean and rough bay chop? How would I deal with John and get this boat out to the east coast? Is it worth the hassle or should I just find a local boat (from the sounds of all these comments I really should deal with Ultra). This will be my first new boat and first custom Hot Boat so I need lots of help and advice, so thanks in advance.
If your running in chop then you might want to consider the 24. Anyhow, Deal with Ultra directly. I think theres a dealer in New York or something but your best bet is to Private Message Ultra28 or JohnwithJM if they don't see this and contact you first. Or just simply call Ultra. They are great guys and will take care of you. Your money will not be wasted.

NashvilleBound
09-16-2004, 03:51 AM
Try this....
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/8/7/74415987.htm
Its already in TN...always garaged...come on out and I'll take you for a ride...
Runs absolutely 100% perfect! John has it on his site too...but mo $$$.

hydrostream'n
09-16-2004, 06:16 AM
If your running in chop then you might want to consider the 24. Anyhow, Deal with Ultra directly. I think theres a dealer in New York or something but your best bet is to Private Message Ultra28 or JohnwithJM if they don't see this and contact you first. Or just simply call Ultra. They are great guys and will take care of you. Your money will not be wasted.
I've got my heart set on a big jet drive custom Hot Boat, and the 22' Stealth seems to fit the bill. I saw the review on the Ultra site and seems like it might be ok in some chop and hopefully an occasional ocean run (close to the beach, no open water stuff) I spend most of my time in the bay and on the sand bars but sometimes with 2-4 foot chop runs when the wind kicks up. I was hoping one of the Ultra folks would respond here, I sent them an email at their web site with no response yet :-( If there's a NY dealer that would be awesome, any chance you have their name? I want to make sure I get to work with John, so if that's not an option when dealing with the NY dealer I'll have to work from accross the country by phone and email. Sounds like I need to deal directly from all the posts here anyway.

rivercrazy
09-16-2004, 08:24 AM
IMHO - I think you will find that that hull is not really designed for the type of duty your looking to do. Its a great boat but not really designed to handle offshore duty. The lack of freeboard, bottom design, etc will not provide what your looking for. And jet drives have a much harder time in salt water due to the corrosion. Aluminium and salt don't like each other much. You can install some annodes but it will be a battle overall

dicudmore
09-16-2004, 08:29 AM
I agree with RC. Ultra builds a damn nice boat but I don't think you'd be happy with it in those conditions.
Very nice lake boat, calm water type boat

NashvilleBound
09-16-2004, 09:01 AM
Come on...my 247 can handle some decent 4 footers and were even been out on Mohave in 5-6ers...kah-rapping but the boat cut through just fine.

hydrostream'n
09-16-2004, 09:24 AM
I agree with RC. Ultra builds a damn nice boat but I don't think you'd be happy with it in those conditions.
Very nice lake boat, calm water type boat
I've been running 15' and 20' Hydrostreams on the Chesapeak Bay (Fresh Water) and they have even less freeboard. I'll be spending most of my time there. It's not fast in 2-3' chop but doable in my Hydrostreams. From the looks and reviews of the Stealth as well as the weight of the boat I'd think it'll handle it nicely, but just looking for some conformation from someone who has one or has been in one for a ride. As far as salt water, I've run jets, outboards and I/O for years in the salt and as long as I don't leave them in the water (I prefer to tow, another reason for a smaller 22') and flush them real good they hold up great. I've never ventured out the inlet to the ocean but would like to take a ride once in a while along the beach. it doesn't have to be fast, but if the boat will handle 2-3' chop safely, I don't mind a bumpy ride (you should see how my 15' bounces at 60mph in the lake, yahoooooooo).
I wonder if anyone selling Ultra boats will be at the big Annapolis, MD power boat show in Oct.h

rivercrazy
09-16-2004, 09:47 AM
My understanding is he is looking at the 22 stealth not the 247. If my memory serves me correctly, the 22 Stealth is pretty low freeboard. The 247 is a better choice for rougher water as its a 23 foot boat with a deeper V and more freeboard

dicudmore
09-16-2004, 09:53 AM
I've been running 15' and 20' Hydrostreams on the Chesapeak Bay (Fresh Water) and they have even less freeboard. I'll be spending most of my time there. It's not fast in 2-3' chop but doable in my Hydrostreams. From the looks and reviews of the Stealth as well as the weight of the boat I'd think it'll handle it nicely, but just looking for some conformation from someone who has one or has been in one for a ride. As far as salt water, I've run jets, outboards and I/O for years in the salt and as long as I don't leave them in the water (I prefer to tow, another reason for a smaller 22') and flush them real good they hold up great. I've never ventured out the inlet to the ocean but would like to take a ride once in a while along the beach. it doesn't have to be fast, but if the boat will handle 2-3' chop safely, I don't mind a bumpy ride (you should see how my 15' bounces at 60mph in the lake, yahoooooooo).
I wonder if anyone selling Ultra boats will be at the big Annapolis, MD power boat show in Oct.h
Prob do great on the fresh water part :D
They are an awesome product, I was just thinking you'd be happier with a larger offering. Out here on the west coast we tow them all. My 29 is SMALL some days out here on the lakes :squiggle:

throwerb
09-16-2004, 10:17 AM
Come on...my 247 can handle some decent 4 footers and were even been out on Mohave in 5-6ers...kah-rapping but the boat cut through just fine.
Been out in my buddies in some rough stuff on Mohave also, handled it no problem, I'd buy it if I had the cash.

RandyH
09-16-2004, 04:12 PM
I think you would be better off in the 21 Stealth . Same interior space as the 22 but more freeboard. The extra foot on the 22 is the built in swim steps. The 21 handles rough chop perfectly. We had it this weekend on the mississippi holding 40 to to 50 miles per hour in all kinds of rough rollers and white caps. When the water is smooth she will do 70+ all day long but it takes plenty of horsepower with the jet.
As far as buying from John long distance. No problems. Lots of emails and phone calls. I flew out for test ride after it was done and he shipped it out to Iowa for 750 dollars. Had to unload 2 Eliminators to get it off the trailer but everything was great.
Would I buy from him again. Yes. Its only a matter of time. You might want to check out his new deck boat. WOW.
Good Luck,
RandyH

voodoomedman
09-16-2004, 04:34 PM
just give john a call. There is an 800 number on his website.

hydrostream'n
09-16-2004, 06:36 PM
I think you would be better off in the 21 Stealth . Same interior space as the 22 but more freeboard. The extra foot on the 22 is the built in swim steps. The 21 handles rough chop perfectly. We had it this weekend on the mississippi holding 40 to to 50 miles per hour in all kinds of rough rollers and white caps. When the water is smooth she will do 70+ all day long but it takes plenty of horsepower with the jet.
As far as buying from John long distance. No problems. Lots of emails and phone calls. I flew out for test ride after it was done and he shipped it out to Iowa for 750 dollars. Had to unload 2 Eliminators to get it off the trailer but everything was great.
Would I buy from him again. Yes. Its only a matter of time. You might want to check out his new deck boat. WOW.
Good Luck,
RandyH
I was looking at all the stealth photos on the web site of the 21 vs. the 22 and it doesn't appear to me that the 21 has much more freeboard then the 22, and the 22 has 400lbs on the 21, must be pretty heavy swim steps. I would think the extra 400 lbs on the 22 might make both boats equal in the chop, but I'm not talking from experience. I do need to talk to John and plan to call him soon. I prefer the slight styling differences of the 22 over the 21 as well, but if the 21 will work better for me then that might be where I'm headed since I want a jet drive - jetdrive because of this ***boat review "The prop-driven 22-foot Stealth is a beautiful boat * but the pump version is imminently more fun to drive. Not only did it do everything our three teams asked of it, ride beautifully and respond to driver prompt almost instantaneously, but also it was absolutely one of the most fun boats to drive of the 18 we tested. That’s saying something, for a boat that didn’t even break 60 miles an hour (57.5 at 4, 800 rpm)". John will have to point me in the right direction.
As far as rough water driving, I saw these quotes from the ***boat review about the 22 Stealth Jet:
"Game time for our Stealth arrived on a windy, rough day on Havasu * not the kind of day you’d pick for a family outing, but which you’re likely to encounter if you boat here with any consistency."
"but we were in pretty rough water for most of the Stealth’s test. The Stealth fended off the conditions with its outstanding bottom, perfect balance and drivability that may be without peer within the vee-bottom-jet-ranks.
"We carved this hull aggressively through the pattern of the chop, the hull obediently following our lead as we nudged the Place Diverter, tuning the ride attitude to suit. We were soon running, pleasantly enough, in a 50-mile-an-hour rhythm; in a final rough water cruise before wrapping the day."
These quotes are not quotes I would expect about a low profile jet in rough water so it sold me. I've never been to Havasu where they were running, but from the sounds of it, very similar conditions as the Chesepeak Bay out here on the East cost.
I think I like the 22' Stealth enough to take it where it likes to run, so I may stick to the fishing boat for the ocean runs and get the 22' Stealth for all other bodies of water :-)
Sorry for the long winded posts, this isn't a minor purchase for me so looking for newbie help from Ultra owners. Thanks in advance.

mud duck
09-17-2004, 08:50 AM
I have a 1998 21' Ultra bow rider, Dominator pump, BBC 540 w/B&M 250 blower producing approximately 650 hp. It handles chop well, not like a big deep V boat with a 24 degree (or higher) dead rise, but still great for it's size and style. The hull is very, very solid. In the right conditions I can hit 75 mph without any trouble. But normally you don't boat at 75 mph, you boat somewhere between 35 and 55 mph depending on where you are and the water conditions. And the accelerations at those speeds are absolutely awesome in a jet. It sucks your stomach right back to your spine. :)

Ultra Compulsive
09-17-2004, 10:20 AM
Hello everyone. Wondering if anyone has, or info on, any pre-94 ultra's. I got one from my nieghbour, a1989 ultra, and would like to hear from any one who might own one as well. This boat is sweet, almost as good as day one. But, I have no documentation, or specs, like fuel tank cap. Thanks in advance for any responses.

NashvilleBound
09-17-2004, 10:38 AM
Sorry, I have no info on anything that old. But we will always welcome a new Ultra owner to the forums!
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/8/7/74415987.htm

shadow
09-17-2004, 11:12 AM
hydrostream'n, I've owned a 22 stealth,454 390hp Marine power.Next to my 27 shadow that was the best boat I ever owned and Ran like a bat out of hell.Wasn't the fastest boat, maybe 60ish but handles great,fun to drive,handle chop as well or better than any other boat in that size range.
Overall a great boat and if I could have two boats there would be a 22 stealth parked in my garage next to my shadow.
Give John a call you won't be disapointed (619)443-1100

hydrostream'n
09-17-2004, 12:06 PM
hydrostream'n, I've owned a 22 stealth,454 390hp Marine power.Next to my 27 shadow that was the best boat I ever owned and Ran like a bat out of hell.Wasn't the fastest boat, maybe 60ish but handles great,fun to drive,handle chop as well or better than any other boat in that size range.
Overall a great boat and if I could have two boats there would be a 22 stealth parked in my garage next to my shadow.
Give John a call you won't be disapointed (619)443-1100
Ok folks, I finally made the call, but John is out of town at a show, so I should be talking to him or his salesman in a week or to. They are send me info in the mail. I also like the looks of the Laser Vision, but sounds like it's a lower end boat from other threads. I may still look into that boat as well.
Are there any 24'-25' boats powered by big jets? I would guess thats a bit big for a jet if it's a deeper V, but I thought I'd ask.
If all goes well I'll need to change my name from hydrostream'n to ultrastealth'n :rollside:
Thanks for all the help folks, I sure wish I was out there on the left coast, our season is coming to an end here on the northern right coast :cry:
I saw some new posts in the sandbar about a possible east/west ***boat get together next year, Maybe I'll have a new boat to tow to and show off at that event if it ever gets off the ground.

NashvilleBound
09-17-2004, 01:37 PM
Hey Shadow: whats your power? I'm considering the Shadow as my next ride and am just lookiing for some REAL life numbers and performance. Whats you minimum planing speed?
Thanks,
Jeff

shadow
09-17-2004, 02:07 PM
Hey Shadow: whats your power? I'm considering the Shadow as my next ride and am just lookiing for some REAL life numbers and performance. Whats you minimum planing speed?
Thanks,
Jeff
I've got a 496ho,it's agood start but definately needs more power.The shadow overall is a great boat,lots of room,interior has more room than most boats the same size.great quality.It will crusie at 70mph no problem in any chop.I would and probablly will buy another one.Either going to repower the one I've got or have Ultra build me another one and put a blown motor in for next season.Next time you come out this way shoot me a pm and i'd be happy to take you out.Never paid much attention to minimum planing speed.
I'm always full throttle.the boat and motor package is bullet proof.I did recently upgrade my drive to an XR.

dicudmore
09-17-2004, 02:22 PM
Hey Shadow I'll pay for a demo-ride in that :cool:
Dan <---- never had a ride in a cat :cry:

NashvilleBound
09-17-2004, 02:25 PM
I've got a 496ho,it's agood start but definately needs more power.The shadow overall is a great boat,lots of room,interior has more room than most boats the same size.great quality.It will crusie at 70mph no problem in any chop.I would and probablly will buy another one.Either going to repower the one I've got or have Ultra build me another one and put a blown motor in for next season.Next time you come out this way shoot me a pm and i'd be happy to take you out.Never paid much attention to minimum planing speed.
I'm always full throttle.the boat and motor package is bullet proof.I did recently upgrade my drive to an XR.
Thanks for the offer. I'm looking at the Teague Whipped 540, standoff, IMCO drive. Hope that will pull a wakeboarder up :notam:

shadow
09-17-2004, 02:45 PM
Hey Shadow I'll pay for a demo-ride in that :cool:
Dan <---- never had a ride in a cat :cry:
You are always welcome!
Just let me know when.we are in the water just about every weekend.
Either Parker or Havasu.

shadow
09-17-2004, 02:47 PM
Thanks for the offer. I'm looking at the Teague Whipped 540, standoff, IMCO drive. Hope that will pull a wakeboarder up :notam:
Should work as long as they can hold on.
That would be a great set up for a shadow!

voodoomedman
09-17-2004, 04:47 PM
Ok folks, I finally made the call, but John is out of town at a show, so I should be talking to him or his salesman in a week or to. They are send me info in the mail. I also like the looks of the Laser Vision, but sounds like it's a lower end boat from other threads. I may still look into that boat as well.
Oh too bad. No wonder he hasn't replied in this forum. I was wondering what's going on. Laser is owned by Essex. Quality is there but it is their no frills line. Not all the options are included and the hulls aren't as aggressive. Go with the Ultra you won't be dissapointed. You have the quality, Customer service and everything included but the lake itself.

hydrostream'n
09-17-2004, 06:14 PM
Oh too bad. No wonder he hasn't replied in this forum. I was wondering what's going on. Laser is owned by Essex. Quality is there but it is their no frills line. Not all the options are included and the hulls aren't as aggressive. Go with the Ultra you won't be dissapointed. You have the quality, Customer service and everything included but the lake itself.
I'm leaning towards Ultra at this point. Looking at the pictures, which is all I have access to here on the east coast, Ultra has the styling, "WOW", and more then enough recomendations here on ***boat going for it. Lazer has a nice simple no nonsense apeal but not a lot of recomendations here on ***boat. I also put a call into Lazer today, talked to someone for 30 seconds. He said he'd call me back in 10 minutes and it's now been 7 hours. I'm giving Lazer a little pass since it is Friday and the end of the day. Since I am on the east coast excellent communication will be one of my top criteria for choosing a boat manf. Lazer is already off to a bad start, but I'll see what the coming week brings.
***BTW - is there a resource here or on the web that can help me better understand hull design and what makes one hull better then another when comparing similar styles?

diggler
09-20-2004, 02:04 PM
I bought this 2000 Ultra Shadow over Labor Day, and it's been a total blast to drive. Even though it's only 19' it handles incredibly for it's size.
While it isn't exactly the most practical boat around, it's perfect for a day in the Northern CA Delta! Plus, the beeotches love it!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/142IMAG0009.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/142IMAG0003.JPG

HighRoller
09-22-2004, 01:53 PM
Hydro, depending on your budget you could get the 24 Stealth with a dual jet setup and have the best of both worlds. Lots of freboard and a jet setup.

NashvilleBound
09-22-2004, 02:27 PM
Or a used 247.....I guess were already had this talk :hammerhea

hydrostream'n
09-22-2004, 07:32 PM
Hydro, depending on your budget you could get the 24 Stealth with a dual jet setup and have the best of both worlds. Lots of freboard and a jet setup.
This sounds interesting, but I am a newbie when it comes to west coast style custom boats so please bare with me. Do you mean one motor and 2 jets off that motor, or 2 motors and 2 jets? I was reading the posts about the new Trident boat and saw that they are going with the one motor and 2 jet setup, so I guess it's doable. I may even look at that boat, but I have not checked to see if that boat is available yet. The website still shows it as a prototype, but post i've seen said they would be in production this past season, hmmmmmmm. I guess I have more questions for John W or John D when I reach them.
I still think the 22 stealth will work for me since 80% of my time is spent on lakes, rivers, and inland bays, and I prefer the styling and lower profile of the 22' stealth.

hydrostream'n
09-22-2004, 07:35 PM
Or a used 247.....I guess were already had this talk :hammerhea
I'm still considering your boat NashvilleBound, so I may be getting in touch once I chat with Ultra. How late in the season do you boat? I may come down for a ride if the offer is still on the table before it gets to cold.

NashvilleBound
09-23-2004, 04:05 AM
Well be boating till my face freezes. I estimate 6-8 weeks more. We're heading out this weekend too(Sat) it is going to be picture perfect...as you know the weather is sometimes a factor. I'm always good with giving rides....it always amazes the guests. Let me know anytime, even if its just to compare models.
NB
615-714-8100

voodoomedman
09-23-2004, 04:40 PM
I just went to the new Corona showroom today and let me tell you it is niiiiiiiice. Much bigger place and real nice inside with plety of office space and plenty of boats. I shoulda counted but I think there was like 8 or something with plenty of room in between. Great place to do some drooling.

mud duck
09-24-2004, 07:31 AM
Nashvillebound, I hope to go out again this coming weekend here in Minneapolis. It should be interesting. The weather men claim high 70's or low 80's, we will see. Two years ago we actually went out in mid October with coats & hats. That was a bit cold at 70 mph on the lake.

NashvilleBound
09-24-2004, 09:27 AM
I hear ya......

FLOJO
09-24-2004, 11:05 PM
I dont know what you guys have heard about the sfv ultra peeps i'll i can say is they are very good people. I've known gav for almost 12 years, and he is one of the most coolest and freindlest person that i know. I dont about their riging of boats, but i can tell you that they have a hell of a wiring guy named david who has at least 20 years experence in wires and stereos. I would just ask for gav next time you stop buy at ultra in sfv and you'll see what i mean thanks. ;)

jbtrailerjim
09-25-2004, 08:47 AM
I dont know what you guys have heard about the sfv ultra peeps i'll i can say is they are very good people. I've known gav for almost 12 years, and he is one of the most coolest and freindlest person that i know. I dont about their riging of boats, but i can tell you that they have a hell of a wiring guy named david who has at least 20 years experence in wires and stereos. I would just ask for gav next time you stop buy at ultra in sfv and you'll see what i mean thanks. ;)
They are no longer Ultra Boats of San Fernando Valley. John West sold them his old molds from his Lightning line of boats. They are now known as Lightning Boats and are no longer a dealer for Ultra.

JustMVG
09-30-2004, 03:18 AM
I have a 10 yr old this year Ultra21LX minor and i mean minor problems i would recommend the Ultra line to anyone who asks for my opinion, John West is a real stand up guy whos word can be taken seriously, they do awesome work down there . Go Ultra you won't be disappointed, just My H O.
Mike VG

red rocker fan
10-12-2004, 03:25 PM
Me an the wife are looking for a 22' stealth. looking to spend around 30k. We have a place in blyth Ca so we want to find a stealth with a legend setback jet in red.If anyone has a lead on one email me at rdofflow@mwdh2o.com thanks

NashvilleBound
10-12-2004, 05:42 PM
Me an the wife are looking for a 22' stealth. looking to spend around 30k. We have a place in blyth Ca so we want to find a stealth with a legend setback jet in red.If anyone has a lead on one email me at rdofflow@mwdh2o.com thanks
This is close...maybe..--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2001 Ultra 247XS
HP500EFI with WhippleCharger (added at 100hrs)
Approximately 190 hours total (still enjoying the season)
XR drive
Dana Offshore Tabs, cup holders.....etc
Custom Extreme trailer with 5000 lb axles instead of 3200
4 wheel disc brakes instead of 2.
Its the best trailer I have ever towed with!
29" tires to keep from dragging the drive through dips.
WPM external steering
Billet marine oil filter w/ cartrige (no more spilling oil everywhere)
Billet Marine top cap w/ shower for the drive
New GPS speedo
Gaffrig gauges
Full instrumentation
No stereo...all my friends have them
28" Bravo 1 prop included
Matching Bimini
double tow cover and a mooring cover
90 MPH GPS
GREAT condition!!!!!!!!! Delivery possible anywhere!
$64,000
615-714-8100
All major service and major maintanence has been done by GT
Performance