PDA

View Full Version : Which way would you go?

LASERRAY
12-06-2003, 12:28 PM
I need to sell my fifth wheel and get either a Motorhome( class c ) or a new truck and camper to tow the boat. I'd like to hear from those of you that have had this dilema. My wife wants the Class C, and I want the New Truck/Camper. Who's right?

JetBoatRich
12-06-2003, 12:32 PM
I have a RV and thinking about selling it to buy a toy hauler. Most places we go boating at we hotel it? We might even sell it and get a good camper, so we are sorta in the same boat:rolleyes:

LASERRAY
12-06-2003, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by JetBoatRich
I have a RV and thinking about selling it to buy a toy hauler. Most places we go boating at we hotel it? We might even sell it and get a good camper, so we are sorta in the same boat:rolleyes: So rich, are you thinking of towing the boat behind the Toybox, or taking two rigs, or neither?

JetBoatRich
12-06-2003, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by LASERRAY
So rich, are you thinking of towing the boat behind the Toybox, or taking two rigs, or neither?
I would love have both the Hauler and Boat, not sure what we will end up with as far as trailers? I was thinking at least 30' to hold everything.
My wife and I had the exact converation this afternoon and still up in the air on everything. Next year we will start looking and sell the RV.

Kilrtoy
12-06-2003, 09:17 PM
get all three of them

JetBoatRich
12-07-2003, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by Kilrtoy
get all three of them
That is what I told her yesterday, just keep the Rv since it is paid for:eek: and buy a hauler for winter trips:D

Mandelon
12-07-2003, 04:18 PM
The overcab camper is small, but OK if you've got a little family. Its fine for a place to sleep and eat. But more than a few days it would get pretty cramped. Some of the new ones have slide-outs but they cost over $20,000!! :eek: A good used one can be had for $5000 to $10,000 which is a pretty cheap way to go.
Overcab camper is good cuz it comes off the truck in a few minutes and I still have the truck to drive around. It tows our boat and Jeep without much problem. No motorhome engine, tires, brakes, etc. to pay for while it sits around getting old.
I would be a little nervous launching a boat with a big motorhome. I see others do it though. I figured I would try the camper for a while and see how it went. It can always be sold and we can move up.

Kilrtoy
12-07-2003, 04:27 PM
Im with you on that one, I would be a little nervous about using a big nice motor home to launch

JetBoatRich
12-07-2003, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Kilrtoy
Im with you on that one, I would be a little nervous about using a big nice motor home to launch
we don't even get the wheels wet when we launch:D
Problem is what Mandelon mentioned, another engine, etc to deal with:(
( did I just agree with Mandelon:yuk: )

LUVNLIFE
12-07-2003, 06:42 PM
Just watch the ramps with a motorhome. You need to find one that doesn't have a drastic crown at the top. Short wheelbase drives the back of the boat into the ramp, or long wheelbase and
you scrape the undercarraige of the motorhome. Butt launching with one is not a prob.

iparky
12-09-2003, 12:09 PM
Had the same problem on my end, Bought a 31 foot class C with the ford V10. Pulls the boat with ease and launching not a problem. YET! Now we can do the desert thing in the winter, the river thing in the summer and can travel in comfort in between.
As I tell all my friends, you really need to look at what you want to do and weigh all the pros and cons, then decide For us the motorhome gets used at least once a month and fufills our need the best.

MudPumper
12-09-2003, 09:47 PM
Funny you should ask. I just had the same dillema. Motorhome or Truck and Camper. Ended up going with the truck and camper because when I'm not camping I can still use the truck. Or when I am camping it is a piece of cake to set the camper down and have the truck to drive somewhere if I need to. I usually do the hotel thing at the river so I can use just the truck to tow or If I go to a camping lake, no prob. I get the most use out of the camper this time of year going to Glamis. I just put the quads on a utility trailer. The big thing with the camper is room. I got the biggest one they make and it is still small. Great for me and my girl but that is about it. It will sleep 4 but there is no room to just hang out if the weather is bad or what not. Got a 2004 F-350 Dually with the 6ltr diesel and Alpenlite 11 1/2 foot camper with slide. It's a 65k rig and for that price you can get a nice class C. Works great for me now but I will eventually upgrade to a Motorhome for the room and comfort. One thing that is important to consider if getting a truck camper is the weight. Factor in the dry weight of the camper + water+all your gear including people and food. You don't want to overload the trucks GVW. Sorry so long, hope it helps.

Dragboat Dad
12-11-2003, 07:46 AM
We had a class c for many years and it worked great for all situations. I bought a new F350 diesel and we were wondering what to do about camping since we sold the R V. Camper was too small for us so we decided on a 5th wheel because I researched pulling the boat behind the 5th wheel and found it was the solution for us. We have the room we need for camping and will have a truck available for launching and running around. Haven't actually hooked it all up and towed it around yet, should be interesting when we do.

Dragboat Dad
12-11-2003, 07:52 AM
BTW, you have to get a commercial drivers license with doubles endorsment to do this.

MudPumper
12-11-2003, 08:49 AM
You rarely see people towing doubles but when you do it's one hell of a rig!!!

HotHallet
12-11-2003, 12:07 PM
Get the truck! It sucks when you go to the river and you want to pull your boat out of the water at the end of each day and you have to break camp to do so. Either get a motor home and a cheap truck to take with you or keep your boat at the river and tow a trailer out.

77charger
12-11-2003, 05:38 PM
In my situation if i had to do it from the start a camper and truck would be my choice.Assuming the family is small.Reason being is that i would be able to tow my sand toys to glamis and ahava a camper to sleep and eat and a truck camper to tow my boat for the lake trips(powell, naci)
Currently i have a burb and a toybox which is fine for glamis but i cant take both on boat trips.fortunitly my boss has a bitchen camper on a dodge dually that he lets me use for lake trips its a two wheel drive which for powell where i camp is a slight drawback but it gets the job done trouble free.He says that camper was worth the money since it gets used often his son takes it to glamis and he uses it for the boat races and travel.

Wicky
12-11-2003, 07:11 PM
The motorhome can be deducted as a second home when it comes tax time!!!! I'm not sure about the truck/camper.