PDA

View Full Version : Anybody runnin one of these ??

vdrivenman
12-06-2003, 03:05 PM
this came with a boat i bought. anyone running one of these with any good results.
i was told they work pretty well. i need to pull the prop,
but was not going to pull the shaft unless this is worth installing !

GofastRacer
12-06-2003, 04:03 PM
Yep I've used them, in fact I still have one. It has a packing gland, they work just don't overtighten it!..:cool:

WILDERTHANU
12-06-2003, 04:29 PM
THOSE WORK GREAT......HAD ONE ON OUR CRUSIER. YA, DONT OVER TIGHTEN THE WAX ROPE INSIDE. YOU CAN SINCH THEM DOWN IF THEY START TO LEAK...VERY USER FRIENDLY.

Rexone
12-06-2003, 05:11 PM
I use them and they work well. You have to let them drip every few seconds though to lubricate and cool the packing or the packing burns out, then they leak pretty good. Packing is replaceable though.

BGMAN203
12-06-2003, 05:23 PM
I had one, I hated it. I even bought a new one to give it a second chance. I took it to the lake loose to be sure not to over tighten it. Still couldn't get it to stop the "1 drip per second". I just went to the grease one. I pack it every weekend I go out and never think about it again. Plus grease ones will last quite a while. Only thing you have to do is watch out when putting the prop shaft through not to tear the seals. Just my $.02

126driver
12-06-2003, 05:30 PM
V-drives alway leak! :D Those seals work pretty decent, used to have one in the Morg-mobile. ;) :D

Rexone
12-06-2003, 05:43 PM
I've had good luck with the "long" style grease type with 2 seals also. The short single seal ones don't have enough surface area though and don't seem to last long. Also, any vibration present from a worn strut bushing will dramatically shorten the life of the seal as will not greasing often enough. One thing to remember on the grease type, you can't run them too tight or they'll sieze (been there). The ones we make start out with .010 to .015 clearance. Any tighter than .010 seems to be a problem in extended high rpm applications.

Kim Hanson
12-06-2003, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by 126driver
V-drives alway leak! :D ;) :D
So what I say is true, they are like you are in a washing machine:D ...........( . )( . )...........;)

126driver
12-06-2003, 06:14 PM
I remember one time at Merced, CA we were sitting in the boats in the water, waiting forever for the start gun, and everyone was of course leaking. It was a LONG time and everyone had a damn flood in their boats. They finally had guys with this cart/battery/bilge-pump setup come up and suck everyone's boats dry! That was the old rope-gland seal days. Those things work good but drip. The new grease-filled seals work much better.

Kim Hanson
12-06-2003, 06:33 PM
I remember one time at Merced, CA we were sitting in the boats in the water, waiting forever for the start gun, and everyone was of course leaking. It was a LONG time and everyone had a damn flood in their boats. They finally had guys with this cart/battery/bilge-pump setup come up and suck everyone's boats dry! That was the old rope-gland seal days. Those things work good but drip. The new grease-filled seals work much better.
You guy's don't have bilge pumps in the boat? I have three, each side and in the middle!Need that splash pan next, sorry for taking this off topic...but sinking is for seals, not boats:D ..........( . )( . ).....

V-DRIVE VIDEO
12-06-2003, 06:33 PM
V-drives allways leak! :D
I remember this one time at Band camp, in San Diego, the 126 boat came in full of water and I mean FULL OF WATER. It seems a little log seel leak is no big deal when you dont run drain plugs. :D :D :D LMAO

DansBlown73Nordic
12-06-2003, 07:18 PM
I remember the first time out in my 66 Stevens. I had more water inside then outside.....:eek: :eek: :eek: WTF

Kim Hanson
12-06-2003, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Dans66Stevens
I remember the first time out in my 66 Stevens. I had more water inside then outside.....:eek: :eek: :eek: WTF
Same as mine, MayTag Repair Man didn't come out either, said she was running fine:D ...........( . )( . ).......:D

rrrr
12-06-2003, 11:35 PM
First time out in my flattie I made the mistake of putting my cell phone under the seat...
Boy, that water gets everywhere, huh? :D

havasulew
12-07-2003, 08:31 AM
Something I'm using at this time is a seal that is built by a company named PYI Inc. (pyiinc.com). After breaking one of these I found the answer. Because of my/our application these seals leak really only under extreme driving. While the boat is sitting on the hook these seals don't leak at all and I mean not at all. I leave my boat in the water while I'm on vacation for a week at a time. I only pull the boat out of the water to refuel. If you'd like to talk to me just send an e-mail with or w/o a phone number.

Infomaniac
12-08-2003, 01:24 AM
I have one in the Cougar. Not the best for serious RPM's I have heard. I have not had a problem.
Can get them cheap from Aquapower.

blowngas
12-08-2003, 05:14 AM
you can buy a heck of a lot of seals for what the pyi setup costs-----but then, it's only money!!!!

Kindsvater Flat
12-08-2003, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by V-DRIVE VIDEO
I remember this one time at Band camp, in San Diego, the 126 boat came in full of water and I mean FULL OF WATER. It seems a little log seel leak is no big deal when you dont run drain plugs. :D :D :D LMAO
Must have been a rookie then. No serious racer would do something like that.

v-drive
12-09-2003, 05:36 AM
If a little water gets through it only means the whole seal is working atleast that's what I was told...v-drive :cool:

126driver
12-09-2003, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by Kindsvater Flat
Must have been a rookie then. No serious racer would do something like that.
You're not still bitter about my avatar dealio at www.riverratlife.com are you?:confused: :D :D :D

Kindsvater Flat
12-09-2003, 06:50 AM
You're not still bitter about my avatar dealio at www.riverratlife.com are you?:confused: :D :D :D
Not me Chief!!:D