PDA

View Full Version : Icebreaker and questions

scrappy
12-06-2003, 04:17 PM
Hi all. I've been visiting Hot Boat forums for a long time and finally decided to register, and ask a couple questions of course. I have a 73 cobrajet, 455, berk jc(a). I put it together out of boxes a few years ago. First, the impeller has several rock dings so I figure I might as well rebuild the pump. Can I do this with a kit or is there special machining required. Second, I have no power take off. The flywheel is bolted to the crank with 2 bolts and the h-bar is secured through the flywheel to the crank with the remaining 4. It has worked fine the last couple years but I've been told its unsafe. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance and sorry for the long winded first post.

sidewound
12-06-2003, 08:53 PM
Welcome to the board.
If you have basic mechanical skills and tools you can probably build your own pump. Duane at HTP helped me with mine. I had to send the shaft and impeller to him to be trued and touched up but the cost was minimal. He also coached me through the build in emails and on the phone. I needed the machining because I replaced my trashed impeller. I got a bitchin hole shot with the ultimate wear ring and pump build.
I don't know about the PTO but my H-bar is bolted through the flywheel and has been fine for 30+ yrs. I think that's a pretty normal setup unless your sportin some nasty ass mill. Doesn't sound like you are.
Sit back and enjoy the ride.
Peace Man!
:cool:
CESAR

Rexone
12-07-2003, 07:55 AM
I'd recommend you take the pump to one of the pros (there are many) as the setup needs to be done correctly for good results and it can require some machining. On the PTO I've never heard of a safety problem with the setup you have. Just make sure the u-joints themselves are in good condition.

scrappy
12-07-2003, 10:44 AM
Thanks guys. Its not a real speed demon, just a pretty reliable family ski boat. The u-joints are in good shape, as far as the pump, Duane at HTP says they will do it or walk me through it if I buy the parts from them. I'll see when I get this thing out of the boat next week. Thanks again.