PDA

View Full Version : my new motor

tahitijet
12-06-2003, 11:32 PM
I wanted to post a few pictures of my new motor.
I'd really like to thank Barry of Obnoxious racing engines. He did a great job with it and built me a motor i am very happy with.
It is a 540, making 700hp and 680ft lbs of torque and runs on pump gas.
I hope to have a small video of the dyno run to post in the next day or so
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/709Dscn1765-med.jpg http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/709PC050445-med.JPG

Jet City
12-07-2003, 12:23 AM
Very nice looking mill, the valve covers are a nice touch.

obnoxious001
12-07-2003, 12:43 AM
One important footnote to this engine is that it is a mild combination, 10.25 to 1, flat tappet hydraulic camshaft, and a very safe, conservative tune up to make it live. We went to the dyno with a goal of 600 hp, and surprised everyone in the place when the "all show and no go" engine not only made a good horsepower number, but had over 600 ft lbs of torque from 3100-6100 rpm.
Special thanks to Steve for trusting his hard earned money to me and allowing me to build a really nice piece.
Barry

Duane HTP
12-07-2003, 08:58 AM
That's a nice looking setup!

Duke
12-07-2003, 10:39 AM
Looks good, I'd love to see pics when its installed:)

likwidsukr
12-07-2003, 03:02 PM
sweet

Hotcrusader76
12-08-2003, 01:42 AM
Looking nice! Ohhh yeah...:D

BrendellaJet
12-08-2003, 08:43 PM
tahitijet
you get that dyno video yet? What are your cam specs? Im building a 540 as we speak, and am going with a big roller, just curious to see how much cam you have. What heads?
I think that thing looks badass. What are you puttingit in? How fast do you think it will go?

tahitijet
12-08-2003, 09:17 PM
brendellajet. I have been trying to get the video out of my camera but i'm having an issue with my dazzle dvc not working. I'll keep trying.
The cam is a hydro flat tappet. it's not huge but it's good size. I dont have the card in front of me to tell you for sure. the heads are pro-topline
Im putting this into a 78 18' tahiti. I hoping for high 70's low 80's. will see:)

BrendellaJet
12-08-2003, 10:22 PM
Any pump mods? I think your boat is gonna go a little faster than 70 or 80- with the right set up/hull. Im not sure what the capabilities of that hull are, do you know? I was told that with 700 hp my boat would do 90.

tahitijet
12-08-2003, 11:22 PM
well to tell you the truth i don't know the full capabilities of the hull.. I know it's heavy. I have converted it to full length stringers and will be removing the hook before the motor goes in.
The pump is going to get completely rebuilt and setup for this motor but nothing crazy.
I think for this boat high 70's is going to be realistic, but I should know for sure this summer

likeFATHERlikeSON3
12-13-2003, 09:14 PM
i need one. just need to win the lotto first.

HOSS
12-14-2003, 05:02 AM
I`ve never seen a starter like that. Is it an air starter? Looks to be abnormally long. It appears to be on the wrong side. I`m guessing a dry sump oil pump? How in the hell will the motor mounts bolt up in an automotive application unless using plates?

ChetCapoli
12-14-2003, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by obnoxious001
One important footnote to this engine is that it is a mild combination, 10.25 to 1, flat tappet hydraulic camshaft, and a very safe, conservative tune up to make it live. We went to the dyno with a goal of 600 hp, and surprised everyone in the place when the "all show and no go" engine not only made a good horsepower number, but had over 600 ft lbs of torque from 3100-6100 rpm.
Barry
Now look at that!.. a hydraulic cam and no sticker.....700hp... impressive!. At least this guy is a little more realistic quoting his goal HP.... Is that the famous westech dyno in the pic?
Wonder what the price difference was between this and HB's "magazine" motor....anyone?
Hey HOSS, thats an air starter btw....you definitely need one. You put your mouth on it and blow! Should start yours every time.....son!:D
CHET

HOSS
12-14-2003, 06:45 AM
Chet, did you ever sell your boat? The one with the "oh shit" grab rails on the side. Those must have been installed for excessive chine walk. You know that clears up usually above 45 mph.

MarKist
12-14-2003, 04:42 PM
tahitijet, yes Sir, that is one nice job Barry did for ya !Barry is a stand up guy and is very honest person I live on the East coast and Barry and I have corresponded back and forth since Feb of this year and he has always had time to answer my dumbass questions and has found stuff that I needed for my engine(carbs, intake ,dooley scoop)let me tell you a short story!Barry knew I was looking for a scoop for my carbs and told me there was one on ebay that was the one I needed,so I bidded on it and won it for I think it was 74.00 with the cover that goes on it .But it was dull and tarnished ,the person that I got it from was also from Cali.Get this Barry said hey ship it to me and I'll have it polished for ya at my polisher's and ship it to you and he did and it was awesome !!!I think I had a little over 100.00 for it shipped to my door!Barry could have bought this and sold it to me but this guy being who he is told me about it and even took the time to have it polished for me !! just one person that we all need to be more like!!thanks again Barry for all your help!!
Mark
p.s I hate to say this, but... I have to agree with Chet on this one and oh ya"JETBOAT"

likeFATHERlikeSON3
12-14-2003, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by HOSS
I`ve never seen a starter like that. Is it an air starter? Looks to be abnormally long. It appears to be on the wrong side. I`m guessing a dry sump oil pump? How in the hell will the motor mounts bolt up in an automotive application unless using plates?
that's a oil cooler right?

fourspeednup
12-14-2003, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by likeFATHERlikeSON3
that's a oil cooler right?
That's what my money's on. Fortunately I have none for you guys to take if I'm wrong;)

obnoxious001
12-14-2003, 10:45 PM
Yep,, guess most jet boat guys don't run oil coolers, but that is a regular Dan Olsen oil cooler. Nice to have if you are going to run an engine very hard.

LVjetboy
12-15-2003, 01:02 AM
They don't seem common for jets. I talked to my builder about the Olsen shown above he said run the engine with a gage and see...then add only if needed. Unfortunately, the freakin' needle fell off my brand new Gaffrig oil temp gage first time out so who knows? Can you believe that? Oh well. It's a redline w/a 250 set point and the led only blinked shortly after a long hard run so guess it's not too hot. But you can bet I'll be replacing that gage to know for sure.
jer

likwidsukr
12-15-2003, 10:29 AM
LOL!!!!!!!!!!! LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!
Everyone trying to take the big man down!!!!

likwidsukr
12-15-2003, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by HOSS
Chet, did you ever sell your boat? The one with the "oh shit" grab rails on the side. Those must have been installed for excessive chine walk. You know that clears up usually above 45 mph.
That is funny shit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Clown
12-15-2003, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by LVjetboy
They don't seem common for jets. I talked to my builder about the Olsen shown above he said run the engine with a gage and see...then add only if needed. Unfortunately, the freakin' needle fell off my brand new Gaffrig oil temp gage first time out so who knows? Can you believe that? Oh well. It's a redline w/a 250 set point and the led only blinked shortly after a long hard run so guess it's not too hot. But you can bet I'll be replacing that gage to know for sure.
jer
Just talk to Mike livorsi Tell him what the $uck
And tell him your a friend of FRIEDMANS
From FLORIDA.

LVjetboy
12-16-2003, 01:36 AM
"LOL!!!!!!!!!!! LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!
Everyone trying to take the big man down!!!!"
Who exactly was the "big man" likwidsukr? And where are all those people trying to take him down?
jer

HOSS
12-16-2003, 05:21 AM
Wonderred that myself.

superdave013
12-16-2003, 12:57 PM
jer
Barry does a lot of endurance race engines. Looks like he set this one up to run laps around the lake and not just a quick sprint.

likwidsukr
12-16-2003, 06:16 PM
"LOL!!!!!!!!!!! LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!
Everyone trying to take the big man down!!!!"
Who exactly was the "big man" likwidsukr? And where are all those people trying to take him down?
jer
O my bad my wife was beatin me while I was typing. WTF was she thinking? Hard to type right when that happens LOL
:eek!: hard to focus when ya drink!!!!!!