PDA

View Full Version : Spam! 19' ULTRA SHADOW FOR SALE

jmack93
12-07-2003, 07:47 AM
Greetings from the Middle East!!! I had to re-register, used to be PICKLEtheLOAD. I am slinging the pickle....
2000 Ultra Shadow 19'. 540 Merlin, solid roller Crower cam, forged JW pistons, Manley rod and crank, roller rockers, Edelbrock tunnel ram, twin 750 Holley carbs, MSD Ignition, Bassett headers, Dooley pan, all braided stainless line w/XRP fittings, Pro Dominator pump, Roy Miersch custom ride plate, Don's Pump Service loader impeller, detailed impeller, 250 HP Nitrous Wet system w/custom Dana steering wheel switches for Nitrous and Hydraulic Diverter. Immaculate condition. $29,000.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/374819__ULTRA_SHADOW.jpg

OSUman
12-07-2003, 04:36 PM
What does the boat run on the GPS and at what RPM

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
12-07-2003, 05:38 PM
That is one nice ass boat. i will be in the market for one of those in about 5years:D

TRG
12-07-2003, 08:06 PM
so....why are you sellin'?

jmack93
12-08-2003, 05:02 AM
I am selling the boat because I am moving. :(
Dependent on the power available/ambient conditions, I have GPS'd the boat anywhere from high 90's to 100 MPH. If I remember correctly, I have seen about 5500 RPM on the tach in my scan, BUT not 100% sure on this...its been a while and I dont fix on any one gauge at that pace in a 19 footer.:eek: :eek: :eek:

Slick
12-08-2003, 09:39 AM
Jerry,
Good to hear from you. Thanks for doin what you do.
Like many on this board, I've seen this boat in person and it is one nice ride. Maybe someone can dig up the issue of Hot Boat that it was in.
Take care and be safe
Slick

Froggystyle
12-08-2003, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by OSUman
What does the boat run on the GPS and at what RPM
On the bottle, I have run the boat at 98 verified on GPS at 5800 rpms.
An important note is that the "250" shot of nitrous is as rated on a 350 chevy. It is more like a 150 shot on a 540. Gained about 300 RPM's and is still running really fat for motor safety. I think it is a whole nozzle range rich on fuel when you hit the bottle.
Great boat. I love it.

BrendellaJet
12-08-2003, 11:10 AM
Thats a great looking boat. With the nitrous and roller cam, seems like it would be faster? I'm not nocking it-it just seems that there are guys around here with v bottoms running that speed with less cubic inches and even less power? Can anyone clear that up? Again, thats a nice boat-Good Luck selling it.

Froggystyle
12-08-2003, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by BrendellaJet
Thats a great looking boat. With the nitrous and roller cam, seems like it would be faster? I'm not nocking it-it just seems that there are guys around here with v bottoms running that speed with less cubic inches and even less power? Can anyone clear that up? Again, thats a nice boat-Good Luck selling it.
The hull is very, very heavy. It is a really good lake boat, as it is solid and predictable and nobody is going to get pitched out the side of this one...
I think the bare hull weighs almost 800 lbs. With full interior, twin side tanks, etc... who knows? The boat is very happy where it is at speed wise.
Not to mention, 100 mph is no slouch. This will suprise an awful lot of V-drives, as it has in Parker on a couple of occasions.

screamdreambrad
12-08-2003, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by jmack93
I am selling the boat because I am moving. :(
Dependent on the power available/ambient conditions, I have GPS'd the boat anywhere from high 90's to 100 MPH. If I remember correctly, I have seen about 5500 RPM on the tach in my scan, BUT not 100% sure on this...its been a while and I dont fix on any one gauge at that pace in a 19 footer.:eek: :eek: :eek: jmack, i carried that hot boat around for months, then tacked your boat on the wall in my shop for a year or so. see this months hot rod and you'll see i really liked your boat. brad

Hallett19
12-08-2003, 11:22 PM
Forget to mention, the low compression ratio is probably one good reason its not a 110MPH boat. This boat runs on pump gas better than it does on race gas.

jmack93
12-10-2003, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by Slick
Jerry,
Good to hear from you. Thanks for doin what you do.
Like many on this board, I've seen this boat in person and it is one nice ride. Maybe someone can dig up the issue of Hot Boat that it was in.
Take care and be safe
Slick
Hey slick..thanks for the words...appreciate that! Truth is... I wouldnt THINK about selling this boat if I wasnt moving.:rolleyes:

Hallett19
12-13-2003, 11:31 AM
ttt

Squirtcha?
12-13-2003, 12:44 PM
Ya know.............it's a funny thing. I've got a buddy that had an Edge Stealth with a PSI blown BBC putting out a guesstimated 1000+ hp and he was only running 100 mph. He had all the goodies and the boat was setup by a guy that had run the same make hull up to 147 mph (so he knew what he was doing). This buddy got so pissed he went out and bought a light layup Canyon flattie and put the same motor in it. Nobody is sure what the boat was capable of as he was too nervous (or cautious) to keep it punched. Some speculated that it probably would've run 135 mph +, but we'll never know as he has since parted it out and sold it off.
I reckon it's that proverbial 100 mph brick wall that lots of folks seem to hit with the jets. I've seen some really nice blower boats and some were even BFJ's and yes although there are jets that have run well over the 100 mph mark. It just seems like there's that distinct point of diminishing returns with the jets.
Don't get me wrong, I've got a jet and I enjoy the hell out of it. Probably wouldn't own a prop boat, unless I could have both. It does almost seem like after 750 hp with a well setup boat (wether it be a tunnel, GW or semi-V, the gains just don't come like you'd expect.

screamdreambrad
12-13-2003, 10:09 PM
squitcha it's all setup with underwater hardware, and bottom. my boat is a stealth sponsored by the factory and we have done stuff to the bottom you wouldn't believe. has made a big difference. after what we've done to mine bring that baby to norco and let tom do the bottom and it will get it on. it is nearly the same as mine . with a 150 or so shot mine would be running 112or so in the quarter. brad

565edge
12-14-2003, 10:19 AM
Squirtcha.I know the boat you are talking about and also know dan nelson set it up.I didnt think his motor was making enough power.I always thought he thought it made more power than it did.My edge is pretty close to what his was,being a lake boat and all and with less power than he claimed i went 110mph at the last drag races i went too. With more left in it.Did he buy a 21' daytona?

Squirtcha?
12-14-2003, 11:53 AM
No, F N Fast is the guy with the Daytona. He got the PSI blower and carbs and someone else bought the rigged Canyon hull. Matt doesn't have a boat right now. As far as I know, he has no plans to buy anything else anytime soon, although I'm pretty sure that he kept the long block that was in it. Last I heard, is when he does go to buy a boat, it will be more family oriented.
No doubt the Edge ran well. According to his boost gauge he was putting out like 22+ lbs of boost. I don't know how much more you could wring out of that setup, unless his gauge wasn't reading correctly.

Bense468
12-14-2003, 12:58 PM
Squirtcha
I have a hard time believing that a 1000 hp boat with someone that is Supposed to know what he is doing cannot break 100 mph. Espically in an edge. Slap 850 hp in Randys V liberty and it would break 100. Its all in the setup and if it can't break 100 then the setup is not right and well that guy does not know what he is doing then.
I have seen some heavy lake boat setups (Placecrafts) with blown alky motors run high 130's in blythe
By the way. That is a nice Ultra above. I saw it in ***boat a long time ago and I have always loved that boat.

Squirtcha?
12-14-2003, 03:59 PM
I have a hard time believing that a 1000 hp boat with someone that is Supposed to know what he is doing cannot break 100 mph. Espically in an edge. Slap 850 hp in Randys V liberty and it would break 100. Its all in the setup and if it can't break 100 then the setup is not right and well that guy does not know what he is doing then.
O.K.

565edge
12-14-2003, 05:44 PM
Squirtcha i wish they would of dynoe'd that motor.Those thru the transom exhaust had to be killing power with that big of blower pushing through that motor.I thought with carbs it wasnt good to start boosting over 15#.Anyways i think pickletheload is in the military and deserves a big thanks from everybody here at home.I am so happy they caught that ****er saddam.Best of luck.

TIMINATOR
12-14-2003, 06:03 PM
As an observer of the Phoenix,Az. scene,(thats because most of the locals don't speak to me much) I notice quite a few blower (and Nitrous) boats that don't run as well as they should. The locals all seem to have setback pumps,blueprinted bottoms,blueprinted or race pumps,trick loaders and shoes and lots of excuses. Is it that this stuff is not what its cracked up to be? or is it a case of misapplication? Maybe a case of not as much H.P. as claimed by their engine assembler? NOTE: an engine BUILDER handles EVERYTHING in-house, an ASSEMBLER typically farms out the machinework to a cut-rate machineshop so he can markup the labor without appearing TOO expensive. It seems to me that if you are paying DOUBLE the markup on the machinework, then you are at a disadvantage either in quality or price. You deserve it. When you get your ass handed to you by someone with seemingly less of everything, then make your excuses standing on the shore and drink your next beer.
As far as Nitrous goes.....a 250 shot is a 250 shot whether on a 283 or a 540. The small differences come from cam,head flow,and exhaust. Read the back of the NOS Catalogue in the tech section.
As far as my situation goes,I have a 21 Daytona with STOCK: pump,AA aluminum impeller,pump location,hull bottom,thru transom exhaust,SINGLE 4bbl,on a 572 at 9.5 compression on REGULAR GAS(87 octane), it runs low/mid 90s in the summer,on the motor, on the 175 -200 N2O kit ,it has run 107-109. Much of that will change this winter... P.S. I have tried to help some of these locals, but they tell me "their guy is taking care of them" HA!,HA!,HA! Still TIMINATING,but not trying to help anymore :D

TIMINATOR
12-14-2003, 06:06 PM
Squirtcha: I agree wholeheartedly with your last post, too bad it will be ignored by those locals that need to hear it the most! TIMINATOR :) :)

HotRod Sprint
12-14-2003, 06:13 PM
I was just getting ready to email this thread to you, glad you showed up. Oh, and have some pics will be emailing you shortly.
Rod

Squirtcha?
12-14-2003, 06:16 PM
P.S. I have tried to help some of these locals HA!,HA!,HA! Still TIMINATING,but not trying to help anymore
Modesty is a crutch for the incompetent.
Perhaps if you had a little more self-confidence Tim?
Have you met Chet?

screamdreambrad
12-14-2003, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by TIMINATOR
Squirtcha: I agree wholeheartedly with your last post, too bad it will be ignored by those locals that need to hear it the most! TIMINATOR :) :) unfortunatley to get the best out of your boat you need to go test at the drag strip. putting hardware on that works on someone else's boat may or maynot work on yours. you have to find out what works best for your boat. and i'm not alone here but; speed is a jerkoff, et wins races! look at the test results in hot boat every year 100 + mph boats that do 0-30 in 14 and up seconds! and how far are they going down the lake to get that speed? brad

Squirtcha?
12-14-2003, 06:52 PM
Actually I think Tim was agreeing with Bense's post. I just quoted it in my message.
I agree with the quickness thing Brad. The one thing my boat does have is a good holeshot. If it comes to it, and I have to make a trade off, I'll sacrifice some top end to keep the holeshot.
As for the race thing.........Unfortunately I'm too financially challenged (or have too many other interests) to run at the track. All the NJBA events are too danged far to travel, and IHBA is way too expensive for me. I'll just have to be content to run at the lakes and river.
Another thing I have to keep in mind is that my boat is not a racer. It's way too heavy and that's not what I bought it for. It's just a family ski barge. All I ever wanted to do is optimize the setup so it's the best it can be. I don't want to be a run of the mill jetboat.
Maybe some day when the kids are grown and gone, I'd do the race thing, but I'd need a different hull. :wink:

TIMINATOR
12-14-2003, 06:59 PM
Brad: a valid point if any of the locals ran at the track, almost none of us do, we race at the lake...short dash or TOPEND,run what ya brung. I quit land based drag racing because of the B.S. throttle stops and computer controls,and the throw your harnesses away after 2 years along with your flexplate,balancer,window net,etc. Too much sit time for the seat time and money spent. At this point in my life I just go to the lake ,cruise around, enjoy the day and never pick on anyone. If I'm cruising and someone wants to have at it,I do, but I allways give 2-3 boat lengths to em. P.S I have a Stalker,and a Magellin,but I don't know anyone who has E.T. clocks at the lakes that I frequent. E.T. I don't care. For those of you who do, more power to ya. Besides, I don't remember anyone talking about E.T. in this post before you. I could be wrong. TIMINATOR

screamdreambrad
12-14-2003, 07:01 PM
timinator ,squirtcha ihba isn't anymore than njba except for the membership money is double. but you could do the one time deal. that gets you a race of your choice and the world finals. living in phx. thats all you would need. i grew up there,(paradise valley) , can't wait for the end of april, that'll be my first ihba race. no more njba races. since we didn't get paid for our last win! racing aint cheap, but it's alot more expensive when they don't pay the purse! and i wasn't baggin on ya dude, hope to see ya in phx next spring. come by and introduce yourself. brad p.s. my brat went off to college and it savrd me $75 amonth in elecricity alone!

TIMINATOR
12-14-2003, 07:10 PM
Squirt: be careful about showing any agreement with me,it's bad for yer reputation. My tub is too heavy to E.T. and not set up for it,and other than the now defunct Friday nite Lake Pleasant drags, no one has ever wanted to run me from a dead stop. But then again aren't the boat drags from a running start anyway? It seems that nobody understood my rant anyway. I'll just sit quietly and read for now. TIMINATOR

screamdreambrad
12-14-2003, 07:22 PM
Squirt: be careful about showing any agreement with me,it's bad for yer reputation. My tub is too heavy to E.T. and not set up for it,and other than the now defunct Friday nite Lake Pleasant drags, no one has ever wanted to run me from a dead stop. But then again aren't the boat drags from a running start anyway? It seems that nobody understood my rant anyway. I'll just sit quietly and read for now. TIMINATOR tim i got it i was just trying to get the point accross that you are best advised to try stuff where you can see the results in acceleration. when i go to elsinore to try stuff i can't really tell without having the clocks to see what it did or didn't do for me. maybe part of that is dodging the ramp nazi for mufflers, and the lake elsinore cops! i'm not a chet!

TIMINATOR
12-14-2003, 09:17 PM
No problemo, I run top end so I quantify my gains on my own equipment, it works for me, but I realize its not for everyone. This is the U.S.A. everyone can do their own thing(except in the People's Republic of California).And thanks to those who gave up their boating time to catch the madman! TIMINATOR

beached 1
12-15-2003, 06:57 AM
Never got a ride in it, but remember seeing it at OP63. She's a beautiful thing. Sorry to see you have to sell her.
I'd also like to thank you for your hard work in the Middle East.

Froggystyle
12-15-2003, 09:34 AM
As far as Nitrous goes.....a 250 shot is a 250 shot whether on a 283 or a 540. The small differences come from cam,head flow,and exhaust. Read the back of the NOS Catalogue in the tech section. \
OK, let me rephrase. This is a 250 Pro Shot fogger kit. The kit is 250 horsepower rated on a 350 Chevy. I was told by a tech at NOS while dialing in, as well as by my engine builder that the 250 kit will show 250 HP on a small block, but will be significantly less, almost proportional to the difference in cubic inches, than the 350 it was rated on.
This motor is running WOT using 50% more gas than a 350. It would seem logical that it would dilute the effect of the exact same nitrous squirt.
In any case, the "250" Pro-Shot fogger did not add 250 horsepower. It did gain about 300 RPM's, and pulled it through the late nineties from the early nineties.

TIMINATOR
12-15-2003, 04:27 PM
Froggy: not to argue too much but my Daytona has a CheaterKit at 175 hp, I pickup about 500 rpm+ and 10 mph. We have installed MANY N2O kits and generally get 1 or a little more mph for every 20 hp added. Since I have a new pro shot fogger with Stainless Steel annular discharge nozzles to go on my new Crower stack injection, I guess we all gonna see real soon! TIMINATOR :)

Froggystyle
12-16-2003, 10:16 AM
Froggy: not to argue too much but my Daytona has a CheaterKit at 175 hp, I pickup about 500 rpm+ and 10 mph. We have installed MANY N2O kits and generally get 1 or a little more mph for every 20 hp added. Since I have a new pro shot fogger with Stainless Steel annular discharge nozzles to go on my new Crower stack injection, I guess we all gonna see real soon! TIMINATOR :)
We gained 6 mph with a 250hp kit. By your ratio of 1 mph per 20 hp gained, that would show about a 120 hp gain... about what I figure is going on.
I personally have never gained 1 mph per 20 hp. My personal experience has been closer to 1 for 30 in a jet.
In any case, the boat has a relatively small shot of nitrous, runs hard, looks awesome and is selling at a really competetive price in my opinion. I think the original owner had nearly $65K into it, and I know Jer has put several thousand in himself.

Squirtcha?
12-16-2003, 02:07 PM
Something doesn't seem right there. Are you sure you're jetted for the 250? Not trying to be a smart ass or anything, the numbers just don't seem to jive.
I'm picking up a full 7 mph with a 100 shot kit on my BBF. I run 73.7 on the motor and 80.8 with the juice.

superdave013
12-16-2003, 03:16 PM
Sorry to high jack
So, how did the locals stack up against his canyon (that I should have bought) with that engine?

Squirtcha?
12-16-2003, 04:06 PM
I'm guessing you're directing this question to me???? If so, then none of us could touch the thing.
The only local guy that could've been able to get the job done, would've been Jim Sampica and his BFJ Cheyenne tunnelhull. He ran 137 mph the last time he raced his Cheyenne (at Red Bluff I think).
Those two never went at it though. I'm betting it would've been a good race.
I got the chance to drive the Canyon before he parted it out. Unfortunately Matt (the owner) was along with and started wimpering like a school girl. He got a taste of what it was like to ride in the passenger seat with absolutely nothing to hold onto. He thought it was funny when he did it to me. Kinda changed his tuned when he started reaching for an oh shit handle or even a good seat hold or boat edge to grab hold of. There was nothing on the passenger side seat to hold you in the boat. Pretty exciting stuff (not necessarily in a good way).

Froggystyle
12-17-2003, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by Squirtcha?
Something doesn't seem right there. Are you sure you're jetted for the 250? Not trying to be a smart ass or anything, the numbers just don't seem to jive.
I'm picking up a full 7 mph with a 100 shot kit on my BBF. I run 73.7 on the motor and 80.8 with the juice.
Yeah, but you are at that point with the boat that you can see bigger gains than at 94 mph. I have had a much harder time getting a jet boat from 94 to 100 than I have getting one from 52 to 58 mph. The curve is exponential.
Yes, it has the right jets. Mixture was a little fat for safety on the bottle, but runs nuts on without the juice.
I have run nitrous on several platforms, and the ones I seem to get the most dramatic response out of are the ones that just needed to get over a hump with their impellers. Meaning, and extra 300 rpms buys you an extra 500 because you are in a greater power range for the motor anyway.
At 5500, that 540 is spinning pretty good. At 5800 you may even be pulling past max power with that setup. Who knows. Bottom line is, without juice, 92-94 at 54-5500 rpms. With, you get 99-101 and 58-5900 rpms. A lot depended on fuel too. We were running race gas in the enrichment for safety, and think we may have over-octaned the program a little. We definitely erred on the side of safety with the bottle. More of a novelty than a quest for speed. Although it was nice hitting the bill. ;)

Squirtcha?
12-17-2003, 08:17 PM
Yeah, but you are at that point with the boat that you can see bigger gains than at 94 mph. I have had a much harder time getting a jet boat from 94 to 100 than I have getting one from 52 to 58 mph. The curve is exponential.
This post has almost come full circle. That's what I was saying on page one of this thread.
I reckon it's that proverbial 100 mph brick wall that lots of folks seem to hit with the jets. I've seen some really nice blower boats and some were even BFJ's and yes although there are jets that have run well over the 100 mph mark. It just seems like there's that distinct point of diminishing returns with the jets.
I agree with all that you've stated and that's kinda the point I was trying to make all along. It's hard to crack that century mark.
I'm still kinda surprised that the N20 didn't result in bigger gains even taking the 100 mph top speed into consideration.

PICKLEtheLOAD
03-10-2004, 11:53 AM
Hey all! I am back and I need to get this Pickle Slung. I have it in the boat trader for $29,500. Make an offer, special price for you my friend!

PICKLEtheLOAD
03-10-2004, 11:54 AM
Oh BTW, thread Hi-Jackers need not apply.

HBjet
03-10-2004, 12:06 PM
welcome back...
HBjet

PICKLEtheLOAD
03-25-2004, 05:54 PM
Allright then....I have dropped the bottom outta this one! This boat for 29,000!!!!! Lets do this...