PDA

View Full Version : anyone with directway internet?

white928
12-07-2003, 09:30 AM
Does anyone out there have a directway sattilite internet? How does it work ? What kind of speed do you get? Is it worth the money? I only get 28K dialup with no cable or DSL aviable.

JetBoatRich
12-07-2003, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by white928
Does anyone out there have a directway sattilite internet? How does it work ? What kind of speed do you get? Is it worth the money? I only get 28K dialup with no cable or DSL aviable.
expensive from what I have seen, download is ok upload depends on the package. You can use a phone for upload, the cheaper service. I went by the local Satellite store and asked questions a few months ago, they gave me a hand out and their information was very vague. Even the Web page for the service is vague:D

Kilrtoy
12-07-2003, 11:48 AM
Your cable company doenst offer it or you dont have that where you live

likwidsukr
12-07-2003, 11:51 AM
Too bad man cuz cable is the shiznit!!!!!

mickeyfinn
12-07-2003, 11:52 AM
A friend of mine has the dicrectway dsl. He says the downloads are blistering fast....once they start. Apparently they actually wait until the download is stored in a buffer before sending it too you. He said from start to finish it was still substantially faster than dial up but nothing compared to hard wired cable or DSL. Upload speeds can be purchased to match what you want but once again it gets pricey. Also the directway dish has to be professionally installed as the dish has to transmit as well as receive. My buddy would love to have another alternative so he could can them but since there is not another option available to him right now he just suffers through it.

Kindsvater Flat
12-07-2003, 12:06 PM
I have starband satellite internet. I pay for it through Dishnet. Its 70 bucks extra on top on the tv part. Downloads range from 400 to 800kbs and upload sucks at 40kbps. I'm in the same boat and live in the sticks with no other options. It has never been down since I've had it for 2 years.

JetBoatRich
12-07-2003, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Kindsvater Flat
I have starband satellite internet. I pay for it through Dishnet. Its 70 bucks extra on top on the tv part. Downloads range from 400 to 800kbs and upload sucks at 40kbps. I'm in the same boat and live in the sticks with no other options. It has never been down since I've had it for 2 years.
they use your phone for the upload, I believe?:yuk: at least with that speed:confused:

Faster Daddy
12-07-2003, 02:36 PM
I've been a Direcway subscriber since 1998. At that time they only had the 1 way system with phoneline uploads. I use the system for a home business and it is the only system available (besides starband satelite) in my rural area. The 2 way system used to be blazing fast. 800-1000k download and 90-120 upload. The upload speed is what I am most concerned with as we send large files to our clients. Over the past 2 years or so as they have added more users to the system thay have used most of the available band width. They now consider 20k upload as typical and will only service your system if you continually test below this speed! It really sucks now! Sometimes upload speeds are as low as 5k. But our old phone lines aren't much better. They have business packages available, but no packages allow for additional upload bandwidth. Starband currently has better upload speeds (but for how long) might be a better option if your chosing between the two systems.