PDA

View Full Version : Por 15

dawgdude
12-07-2003, 11:54 AM
Has anybody ever used POR 15 on their trailer. I'm going to use it on the bottom side of my trailer for the Kona. The guy at POR 15 says that it's a great primer along with killing and keeping away any rust. He says that I should think about painting the whole trailer with it and then shoot a coat of clear over it to keep it looking new. Was I supose to mention that this is a ""jet boat "" trailer so it could be placed in this forum.

Hemicbx
12-07-2003, 03:23 PM
I've used their chassiscoat black on a car frame and I absolutely love it! Very hard, impervious to anything. can be brushed with good results or sprayed.
A buddy used their gas tank lining kit and said it was way superior to the other products out there. I think they're a pretty good company with excellent product line. Always very helpful when I've talked to them at swap meets & such.
Hemicbx

dawgdude
12-07-2003, 05:36 PM
Thanks I'm gonna try it. I have used it on a 54 chevy that I built but never on anything around water. Guess we'll see.

BrendellaJet
12-08-2003, 11:18 AM
I bought a car that had that on the interior floor. The floor was in good shape at the time, but when I went away to school, it sat in my parents driveway for about 2 years and there was quite a bit of corrosion when I got back to it. THere was a leak in the windshield, so every time I came home, I had to get the wet vac out to dry it up....

BobS
12-08-2003, 01:05 PM
Doesn't UV break down POR15? I think you need to top coat it if it will be exposed to the sun.

Squirtcha?
12-08-2003, 02:43 PM
Maybe that's why they suggested shooting the clearcoat?
then shoot a coat of clear over it to keep it looking new

dawgdude
12-09-2003, 03:49 PM
I was able to meet with a rep down here who gave me a quick course on this por 15 stuff. After talking with him I have a better understanding as to how it works now. It would take and hour to explain it all but heres what he told me.
He said that the por 15 will dull after about a year if its exposed to the elements. This won't effect the durability of the product, it just won't look as good. He says that I can cover it with another product that they offer that will keep the shine forever and a day. He says that this can all be done by the average person for less than a 100 bucks. It can be sprayed or brushed. I looked at several frames, trailers and other items that had been coated and they looked good enough to put in a show. I also talked with several customers that had used it and they are all happy. Some had used it up to two years ago and they are still happy. They have a few diferent colors that are offered. I'm impressed.