PDA

View Full Version : caddy engine

rash
12-08-2003, 05:56 PM
has anyone ever heard of puting a 500ci caddy engine in place of the olds 455? i have a buddy that told me that the engines are pretty much the same. the only reason that i ask is that i know of some one that is selling one for cheap and thought it would be a good alternative to rebuilding my olds engine. do they still have the oiling problem that the olds has. any help would be great. thanx alot . RASH

victorfb
12-08-2003, 06:04 PM
not the same motor, but have similair characteristics. its heavy, but its a torque monster. im not sure if id want to run one in a boat, but for a motorhome.. hell yea !!! not many aftermarket parts available, but edelbrock finally did come out with an aluminium intake for them which removes ALOT of the weight. (thier huge) i would stick with the olds or think about going GM or Ford. and to all you others, please dont give me the ole "but the cad 500 is made by GM" you know what i mean. :p

fourspeednup
12-08-2003, 06:22 PM
I had a built 472 (same external as 500) in my '72 Caddy. They're great for the cool factor of beating the crap out of somebody with a ford or chebby but I wouln't want that motor in my boat. My motor was 9.5:1, ported heads, big cam, edelbrock manifold, holley 750 DP, BBC headers with caddy flange. Made 390 rwhp, and 550 ft/lbs @ 4400 foating the valve springs.
I think the motor would work with the olds bellhousing though, since the trans in my car was a TH400 BOP model.
You can make a lot of power with the motor but it will cost a lot more. Check out this site if you are interested in making it work:
caddy peformance parts (http://www.cad500parts.com/)

Sleek-Jet
12-08-2003, 06:43 PM
Hell, I'd build a Buford first. The 455 Buick was arguably the best big block motor the General made, just get ready to be spendy to get it going.

12-08-2003, 07:46 PM
I agree on the Buick if your really have the need to be different.
According to one Buick site a 455 in full iron trim is only 30 LB heavier than an all iron SBC.
Question is, do you really think you need all that torque?? (running & ducking)

572Daytona
12-08-2003, 09:10 PM
I used to have 76 Coupe with a 500ci fuel injected. What a fun motor, I could cruise at 100 and still have plenty of reserve power for passing if I needed it. Some good info and parts for the big motors here:
http://www.500cid.com/

coolchange
12-09-2003, 08:51 AM
My brother put one of those in his truck. Called it Truckzilla. Hit the on ramp with the boat and punch it at about 30 and fry the tires. Had to put an Allison converter in it as it ballooned the stock th 400 and ruined the crank thrust! There was a Southwind back in the day caled Flash Cadillac. Boat was sweet. Not a lot of guys runnin over 500 ci in the late 70's early 80's.

Back Forty
12-09-2003, 09:02 AM
They are not even close to the late Olds design save for the manditory BOP/C Bell housing and the fact that they used a Q Jet.
There are aluminum cylinder heads available also through Bulldog Performance.

CALIFORNIA PERFORMANCE
12-09-2003, 03:29 PM
Heavy:confused: A: Only a handful of hot rodders have realized the advantages of the 472/500 big block Cadillac engines. It's large displacement "the largest regular production 8 cylinder ever made" lighter weight, greater torque and rugged reliability make it the ideal Engine. It has more torque in its stock form than the legendary 454. With a aluminum intake manifold it weighs only about 45 lbs more than a chevy 350 small block. It can be built to produce 500 hp on pump gas at a reasonable cost. For 600 hp or less I can build it cheaper than any "other" brand of engine. Last but by no means least is the sneak factor. Never mind you're packing up to 600 hp or close to 700 ft lb. of torque in your 540 cid stroker Cad motor. It's still a Cadillac and everyone knows they're boat anchors. You will get no respect. Because of that you will get to spank a lot of people hard. YOU WILL go home with their money after the race. You just won't be a popular guy with a popular engine under his hood. I like em.

CrdStang
12-13-2003, 01:12 PM
Ya know just yesterday I realized the 500ci Cad in my back yard would probably damn near bolt in where my Olds 455 lives. It probably will if I ever blow up the Olds mill *knocks on wood*
In the September '98 issue of Hot Rod mag they build a 500ci caddo, $4K, 575ft-lbs and 514HP. :eek: I could probably be coerced into scanning the article..
There's also a 455 Olds buildup, 449HP and 542 ft-lbs, but no prices..guess they don't want to scare ya too bad. :yuk:
Of course being a Ford guy, my personal favorite is the 468ft-lb, 380HP 400M built for a cool $2K. Thats through manifolds and a 550cfm 2bbl. :cool:

HOSS
12-14-2003, 04:11 PM
Just a tip: The 400M was and is a piece of debris.

fourspeednup
12-14-2003, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by CALIFORNIA PERFORMANCE
Heavy:confused: A: Only a handful of hot rodders have realized the advantages of the 472/500 big block Cadillac engines. It's large displacement "the largest regular production 8 cylinder ever made" lighter weight, greater torque and rugged reliability make it the ideal Engine. It has more torque in its stock form than the legendary 454. With a aluminum intake manifold it weighs only about 45 lbs more than a chevy 350 small block. It can be built to produce 500 hp on pump gas at a reasonable cost. For 600 hp or less I can build it cheaper than any "other" brand of engine. Last but by no means least is the sneak factor. Never mind you're packing up to 600 hp or close to 700 ft lb. of torque in your 540 cid stroker Cad motor. It's still a Cadillac and everyone knows they're boat anchors. You will get no respect. Because of that you will get to spank a lot of people hard. YOU WILL go home with their money after the race. You just won't be a popular guy with a popular engine under his hood. I like em.
Should have seen the Camaro owner and his girlfriend after I spanked them in this, thought the guy was gonna have a coronary:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1154caddy_1-med.jpg

CALIFORNIA PERFORMANCE
12-15-2003, 11:51 AM
Sic caddy. I had an 71 chevy 4x4 with 44's on it that I wanted to put a caddy motor in but plans fell out.:(

Back Forty
12-15-2003, 12:20 PM
Excellent pic.
My favorite is a '67 C' deville.