PDA

View Full Version : Long duck donger

Blown 472
12-09-2003, 08:03 AM
http://www.pontiacpower.com/Crank4250.htm

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
12-09-2003, 08:53 AM
"Imagine the poor blokes that are breaking blocks, rods, and cranks all because
these cranks are coming off the boat as junk.
That's why the original seller pawned all of them off and now several vendors are trying to get rid of them.
To top it all off, there's not enough gain in power with a .040 stroke increase to sneeze at.
The 6.800 Chevy 540" rod is another scam to make an untrained enthusiast think
he's getting an increase in power. The entire idea was for some mechanically uneducated entrepeneur
to make money at y-o-u-r expense. No one with a 4.250 stroke - 6.800 rod engine is making any
more power than we can make with a stock 4.210 stroke and the stock 6.625 rod.
Know otherwise? Please share."
This should stir the pot a little..........
:devil:
Omega

LakesOnly
12-09-2003, 10:09 AM
Yeah Blown,
First of all, I've been getting unnacceptable replies from most of the US rep's chinese-made rotating assemblies. It gives me pause to consider changing my tune about the cheap stroker stuff. No-one can (or will dare?) give me a straight answer to some important questions. And with the motor I intend to build, I need these questions answered. For example:
1) Materials. Where's the raw stock coming from? Quality US steel that is shipped to China for cheap manufacturing labor? Or are the rotating assemblies being made from melted down coat hangers?
2) Quality Assurance. Can't speak of late, but it is known that not too far in the past, the chinese' quality control practices are substandard at best; almost a "good enough; ship it!" attitude.
Years ago, I used to hear about all kinds of failure of these components out in the field, but those stories subsided and today I even hear even of mudbog truck pullers etc have good results with the cast steel cranks. But you'd better believe they go over evey individual component with a fine-toothed comb like they just made it themselves. We should never consider the part finished once we receive it.
Based on my recent inquiries and investigation, I've decide two things: If I go with any of the chinese stuff, I definitely will not used a cast steel crankshaft but will go with a forged or billet (I always overbuild). Also, it will be carefully inspected and spec'd out by me and my contracted machine shop before I even accept the part(s).
After speaking with several different rep's for chinese-made suppliers, I am left with only SCAT to trust. This is because all the final machining steps and QC inspection on their cranks are done in their Los Angeles facility. Not true of CAT, TMD, whatever. Also, engine builder Dave Maclain has built many a BBF 557 with their 4.5" cast steel crank with no trouble up to and beyond 1000HP. He has observed that other manufacturer's cranks are exceedingly out of round, out of spec, require lot's of heavy metal to balance, etc.
Second of all, as far as the power output statement on the Pontiac site, this is true too. The hp curve is really determined by the cam, heads & breathing charactersitics of the engine. The discplacement more-so determines where it occurs (get your engine-dyno software out and build a 466. Then leave everything the same and change bore/stroke to a 533. Graph shape is the same).
By the way, it's interesting to note we still occassionally hear of these chinese-made 514 stroker cranks breaking at the 2.2 rod journal (most common location of failure) but I have never heard of a factory 460 crank--ground to a 2.2-journaled 514--ever breaking. Says something about good ol' US materials, doesn't it? And machining practices too, doesn't it?
LO

Blown 472
12-09-2003, 10:20 AM
I was cleaning the basement and found the hot boat from a few years ago that they built that 540 ford with an offset ground crank and the 240 rods and I am thinking I might put one together just to try it, I would use kieth black pistons thou as he makes one for a 6.800 rod with a 990 pin. Flat tappet some c9's and a stealth intake with a 850 and see what it would do in my heap.

LakesOnly
12-09-2003, 10:52 AM
Heared about those motors....never personally seen one. Some builders express concern over the use of a 6 cylinder rod (unless there's a tremendous amount of modifications/work performed on them).
Here's an article from ***boat...click below, then click on each page number:
http://www.geocities.com/styleline58/540ford.html
LO

Blown 472
12-09-2003, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by LakesOnly
Heared about those motors....never personally seen one. Some builders express concern over the use of a 6 cylinder rod (unless there's a tremendous amount of modifications/work performed on them).
Here's an article from ***boat...click below, then click on each page number:
http://www.geocities.com/styleline58/540ford.html
LO
I figure I can put one together pretty reasonable and if it comes apart, oh well. I can get a crank ground for 100.00 and have the rods reworked. Use my flat tappet that I have now and just see what happens. Not a bunch of rpm in my boat.
You know what the deck heights are on 460's I am thinking 10.320?? cant find my info right now.

LakesOnly
12-09-2003, 11:47 AM
All the D1VE's are about 10.32".
The C8's and C9's and D0VE-A's are about 10.30" (I think).
LO

Blown 472
12-09-2003, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by LakesOnly
All the D1VE's are about 10.32".
The C8's and C9's and D0VE-A's are about 10.30" (I think).
LO
That is what I thought, thanks.
Found a ford six cylinder performance site.