PDA

View Full Version : set back question

TRG
12-09-2003, 02:52 PM
i am interested in setting back the pump in my rogers bonneville 18',... below i have some pics of two rogers,...the blue one is set up exactly the same way (intake-transom) as the red boat!
If the intake is only about an inch from the inside transom wall, can the intake be set back any further?
the blue boat first.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/662pump3-med.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/662pump2-med.JPG http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/662pump_underneath-med.JPG
and then the red one complete with transom adapter.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/662pump4-med.JPG
how far back can you go? or how far back, until the integrity of the transom is at risk?
thanks for any replys, todd

BrendellaJet
12-09-2003, 03:09 PM
Todd,
Im not familiar with the berk intake, but on mine(jacuzzi12wj) I was told by jack that it WILL leak if you cut through the transom. you can see where all the old epoxy is in this pic. I set mine back as far as I could without having to cut through. This pic doesn't show some of the shape of the intake, but you get the idea-the intake needs to be surrounded on all four sides by epoxy-if you cut through the transom, it wont be...http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/212100_0236-med.JPG
Ill post some more pics later that will show more detail.

TRG
12-09-2003, 05:05 PM
the intake that is in the blue boat is stock, but i have a machined intake that will replace it(for ride plate & shoe), so if im going to be removing the intake,....might as well set it back while im knee deep! would 1-4 in. set-back make that much of a difference? todd

Squirtcha?
12-09-2003, 05:17 PM
if im going to be removing the intake,....might as well set it back while im knee deep!
That's exactly what I did. I found out that the money difference between just putting the intake back where it was, and setting it back about 3" was so close, I'da had to be crazy not to go ahead and do the setback.
As far as gains go, it would be difficult to say. Too many changes at one time to be able to point at any one thing and say I got X amount of mph from the setback.

Jetmugg
12-09-2003, 05:23 PM
Todd:
Is that the pump I sold you? If so, it's looking 10 times better already. Glad it found a good home.
SteveM.
P.S. - I have a 4 point mount for BBC (with bellhousing cover) and feet for a rail mount. Let me know if you're interested.

Jake W
12-09-2003, 05:38 PM
Todd take the intake to MPD and have Jack cut off the very back of the intake where it sticks out not where it bolts to the suction the pice under that it will let you set it back further with out breaking through the transom that is how he did mine.
I just cut the hole back on the Gullwing if you measure on the bottom it is about one inch left befor breaking out the back.Though the Gullwing does not have transom wood in it.But i do plan on putting a half in pice in it.And that will put the cut suction pice right up aginist it.
So Steve that is where the rest of the rail kit is.
Jake:D

TRG
12-09-2003, 05:40 PM
i am interested, if you can send me some pics of whatever you have, that would be great steve!
my e-mail griggstj@adelphia.net
by the way,yes that is the pink and black pump, i thought that there was some pretty deep gouges in the casting but, it turned out to be deep gouges in one of the 4 coats of paint, the pump looks better that a brand new one, not one scratch in the alum! i could not believe it myself! thanks again steve, you are a great person to do business with!! and a plethura of knowlege!
todd

victorfb
12-09-2003, 07:11 PM
todd. did you ask around to see what a set back pump would do to your hull? or does anyone here know? ive heard so many stories about adding things like a droop to one hull benefits it but to a differant hull actually hurt the performance. the 18 rogers i have has had the pump tilted, but not set back. i was just wondering since someone went to the trouble of doing the tilt, why not do the set back? i was told it worked very well tilting it but obviously have not run it yet and have no comparison since ive never run the boat before. i wont be doing the set back, but im interested to see what its going to do to your rogers. are you still going to run the fin with the set back pump? or will you have to re set the fin placement aswell?

Cs19
12-09-2003, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by toddnjuzz
iIf the intake is only about an inch from the inside transom wall, can the intake be set back any further?
Do like Jake said and have the back part of the intake machined off, then you will gain some room for your set back. You can get about 2 1/4 - 2 1/2 inches of set back with barely having to notch the transom, it will still have plenty of strength.
You can set it back more with transom notching, but it sounds like your trying to avoid that, I say go for it if your already pulling out the intake.

TRG
12-09-2003, 10:10 PM
jake- how much did jack take off of youe intake before the shoe area?
victor- hows it going buddy? hope all is well! as for my two hulls,...neither one of them came with fins!....as for tilting the pump....jim burrows and i had a very interesting conversation about this subject, were some say that it helped out on the performance ,but by having to compinsate on the nozzle end and adding more of an angle,...it did'nt help out as much as in theory! i dont know what im giong to do at this point,. For right now, im probably going to try the ol' cutting of the intake and do a short set-back....or just install the machined in place of the old positionand try the mods on the red boat just after x-mas!
If anyone has anymore input on this subject (bad-good)hell i'd even humor what chet has to say in this field! pre-thanks for the replys! todd
cs-
will 2-21/2' give me a noticable diff.? if so, in what way do you think it will better the performance of my boat? thank you! todd
thanks guys

MikeF
12-09-2003, 10:25 PM
Here is a pic of the space just after the end of the intake. Looks to be a little less than an inch.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/153IMG_0154-med.JPG

Cs19
12-09-2003, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by toddnjuzz
cs-
will 2-21/2' give me a noticable diff.? if so, in what way do you think it will better the performance of my boat? thank you! todd
thanks guys
I have no idea what kind of performance that will give you, I know your buddy is having his done, but I think he may be doing that to fit a jet away. Although im sure that the set back will give him some performance even though its less than 3 inches.
You may need to modify your transom adaptor too.:D

flat broke
12-10-2003, 10:41 AM
Todd,
I would say go for the setback. If you ever planned on running a jetaway, this would buy you clearance, if not, then even the slight change in weight distribution may lighten more of the running surface and lose some drag. On the transom adapter, if it needs work to fit, ask Jack about the mod we came up with for Hackers boat. Jack did a splice of additional material on the adapter to bring it out to the bowl moutning flange on the suction housing. This way you could theoretically pull the bowl without messing with the silicone. It's a bit of a bitch to get to the 2 bottom bolts inside the adapter, but it can be done. This would greatly increase your ability to try different impellers on similar water conditions without having to sport for one of Jack's super trick transom adapters with the recess for the hand hole cover.
Chris

Jake W
12-10-2003, 07:49 PM
Todd it is cut back all the way untill the it starts to curve for the suction pice.The bolt holes are totaly gone.
Jake:)

Jetmugg
12-11-2003, 09:05 PM
Hey Jake:
Any updates/pics of the gullwing project? Todd's pump cleanup/painting made my old ugly pump look like a million bucks, here's hoping that your elbow grease will do the same for the hull.
Steve.

Jake W
12-11-2003, 09:26 PM
Steve No new pics yet, just of it sitting on the dolly it will be a few months befor it starts looking better.Yea the pump looks sweet,Todd is doing a really nice job on the old Rogers the boat looks like a million bucks too.Bitchen job Todd.
Todd what ever happened to the v Drive you picked up a while back?
Jake:)

TRG
12-11-2003, 11:14 PM
the buck smith is in resto' at my buddys house... it will be out on the water around mid summer! he wants to make it to CBBBIII!
the wood work is taking its time!
here is a pic of it when i "aquired" it thanks to a fello board member!!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/505/1doug_1-med.JPG
by the way... thanks for the input guys! this forum shit really helps with decision making!! todd

TRG
12-11-2003, 11:15 PM
he is wanting to go another way with seating so the grey seats are for sale!

Jake W
12-12-2003, 06:33 AM
Didnt you have a Spitfire allso it was red with abunch of lines on it?
Jake

TRG
12-12-2003, 09:29 PM
yes, another member has that (lightweight) hull and is going to rig it up for a nostalgic racer, i believe! dont qoute me! todd