PDA

View Full Version : Earthquake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

likwidsukr
12-10-2003, 06:52 AM
East coast got hit with a (small) quake of 4.5 on 12/09/03 This is very rare for the east coast!
Any west coasters or anyone have a earthquake related story. ours was centered in Richmond, Va A couple hours north of here!!!!!!!

Coach
12-10-2003, 06:55 AM
I has been covered in this tread
Earthquake (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36358&highlight=earthquake)

likwidsukr
12-10-2003, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by Coach
I has been covered in this tread
Earthquake (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36358&highlight=earthquake)
I have seen that But a 4.5 is shit I'm asking about stories on real earthquakes. But thanks nonetheless:D

Essex502
12-10-2003, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by likwidsukr
I have seen that But a 4.5 is shit I'm asking about stories on real earthquakes. But thanks nonetheless:D
That wasn't an earthquack - just Big Bubba fartin'. Shoot, it ain't an earthquake until it's greater than a movement of 5 on the sphincter scale. :D

likwidsukr
12-10-2003, 12:23 PM
Thats what I am saying. A 4.5 is not shit! I want stories on real ones. I did not even feel this one LOL. It made headlines here LMAO!!!!!!! What are they like. Got to be scary as hell !!

Essex502
12-10-2003, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by RiverDave
You know being in So Cal I can remember quite a few pretty violent shakers when I was a kid...
I can't remember the last time we had a good one in San Diego. ?? (north county) We've had a couple of little "tremors" over the years but very minor (almost innoticeable)
RD
I'd be looking over my shoulder if I was you then...the medium sized ones usually lessen the stress thus helping to prevent the really big ones. I was in Toronto on business for the Northridge quake. Missed all but the aftershocks.
I do remember the Sylmar quake in, I think 1971 and then the Whittier quake that shattered the 30' plate glass window next to my desk on the third floor of the building I worked in at the time. 4.5? Insignificant.

likwidsukr
12-10-2003, 12:59 PM
Like I said must be some scary shit!!!

Elk Chaser
12-10-2003, 01:03 PM
OK you want a story of a real one.....
I lived through three major quakes in So Cal before we moved away.
Starting with the Sylmar Quake when I was kid. We lived in Valencia 15 or so miles from the epicenter and it hit hard, threw the eggs from the refrigerator door 10 to 12 feet to the kitchen sink, the stove threw the kettle about 50 feet across the entire living room and it landed on the fireplace hearth, both our chimneys came tumbling down, one nearly on top of me as I slept. I think that was a 6.something, not sure
The other of note was pretty neat looking back and that was the Northridge Quake, I was still living in Valencia at the time, sitting drinking coffee before going to work in Santa Moncia, heard that one comming, sounded like a frieght train, I got up knowing what it was to go to the kids, made a few steps and it knocked me flat to the floor. Well after I made sure everyone was OK I decided to get down to work to check the building (I was an Operating Engineer in a High Rise)
Got in the car and on the way to the freeway when I crossed the first bridge I about tore the front end off my mustang cause the bridge had raised about 8 inches or so, continuing on I had headed down Majic Mountain Parkway and at the turn where the power station is or was, there were some people off the road and I stopped to see if they were OK and to close my hood which had jarred up from the bridge, I heard waht sounded litterally like a jet engine ruinning right there (turned out a high pressure gas main had broke right there) got back in the car and came up to the freeway bridge that I had to under to get on the freeway south bound, A Highway Patrol was shinning his light on the bridge right next to me, I looked at him and he looked over and shrugged, so we went under the bridge, got on the freeway got up to speed and I saw what looked like someone had taken a jackhammer and punched up concrete in the middle of the freeway and threw the peices out of bthe hole, then I saw people coming north bound in the south lanes (at this point I knew we got hit hard this time)
I kept going and realized that the bridge and fallen at Gavin pass, got off the freeway onto the old road and made my way past the bridge debris along with a few others and got all the way past the 14/5 interchange where several bridges had fallen and started up Balboa blvd until I came to the place where the as mains and the water mains had broken there was fire shooting 50 feet in the air and water shooting 50 feet in the air at the same time in the same place......... That made me finally turn around and go home, I had seen enough at that point and those blown gas mains on fire scared the crap out me to be perfectly frank.
Several days later I finally made it to work through a maze of debris and detours, that night it took 5 hours to get back home (normally a 1 hour drive max in heavy traffic) it took three hours minimum everytime I went to work to get there and again to get back for several weeks while they rebuilt the 405, 14/5 interchange etc. etc.
Was not too long after that, that we moved to a part of the country that rarely sees any earthquakes, tornados or anything other than an ice storm every thirty years. I'll take the ice storm and lower paying jobs over another big earth quake any day. Had my fill of em.
Took me years to get over the habit and heart jump of having the wife move in bed in the middle of the night and me thinking it was another one coming, grabing for the edge of the bed.....
You guys So Cal are due too, any day now... every ten years or so WHAM!..... Good Luck You Guys.

Havasu Hangin'
12-10-2003, 01:40 PM
I was on the freeway doing 70 MPH (in the fog) when the Northridge quake hit (6.7)...
...talk about a "lane change".

Wet Dream
12-10-2003, 08:35 PM
I lived in Northern California for most of my life. I experienced the Morgan Hill earthquake, and the Loma Prieta quake and a few other small ones.
The MH quake was around a 6. It was centered less than a mile from my house. That was a weird one. Windows that were installed running north to south stayed intact, the ones that were running east- west were knoced out. Same with items in the cupboards, if they were facing a certain dorection, it all came out, but perpendicular cupboards held the items. China, wine glasses, cooking items...all over the floor. Chandaliers (real hanging chandaliers) were swung so hard that they stuck into the ceiling. Water fountains sloshed water out completely and houses were moved off of the foundation by a foot or more.
The Loma Prieta quake (recently the most famous of the San Francisco Bay Area) was a hell of a quake. I was in Gilroy with my girlfriend driving an MG convertible. Sitting at a traffic light facing west, toward the Santa Cruz mountain range, I was first in line waiting for the green light. Looking down the road, I could see the asphalt moving. It was just like sitting in your boat and 3 foot "rollers" are coming at you. but this is a roadway, its not supposed to do this. The light standard had a hell of a swing on it and I thought it was going to come crashing down on us. Traffic was stopping everywhere, so I didn't waste any time running the light and getting the **** out of there. The GF was pissed. (She was the type to feak out easily). It picked up that little cars and tossed us all around. When things settled down, typing to find out details was tough since most power was knocked out and there were few radio stations with power. Even if they had power, the tower was knocked down. Damage everywhere. Very freaky feeling. So we get back home and are watching the news, they're showing the SF Giants who were getting ready for the World Series game when it hit. Cameras everywhere recorded the events on the field. So as the news shows the replay of Candlestick getting tossed around, an aftershock hits. Holy shit, freak me the **** out. Still sends chills down my body when I think about it.
Earthquakes are scary because you don't know how big its going to be, how long its going to last, or if this is just a precursor for a bigger quake. Things are uneasy.

Kilrtoy
12-10-2003, 08:39 PM
I posted early on this thread and now its missing.
I'VE BEEN JACKED
We have those all the time, NO BIG DEAL

likwidsukr
12-10-2003, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by Kilrtoy
I posted early on this thread and now its missing.
I'VE BEEN JACKED
We have those all the time, NO BIG DEAL
LOL I'm sorry
See post # 3

Wicky
12-10-2003, 09:00 PM
I moved to Boise at 11pm the night before the quake. I almost chose the grapevine instead of the Cajon pass to get to here.
Couldn't believe it when I saw the news the next day.
Wicky

likwidsukr
12-10-2003, 09:06 PM
Man
Those are bad memories I imagine. Like I said i have never felt a quake i did not feel the 4.5. I do not wish to either! We get some hellacious Hurricanes here and some Tornadoes, but very rare for an Earthquake!!! Maybe a warning?
Havasu Hangin:
That is some scary shit man! you are lucky dude

likwidsukr
12-10-2003, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Wicky
I moved to Boise at 11pm the night before the quake. I almost chose the grapevine instead of the Cajon pass to get to here.
Couldn't believe it when I saw the news the next day.
Wicky
Another close call. Is it worth it to live out there? I used to live in Napa Valley, don't remember any quakes though.

Havasu Hangin'
12-10-2003, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by likwidsukr
That is some scary shit man! you are lucky dude
It's all skill (yeah right).
I guess I have 8 lives left.

Kilrtoy
12-10-2003, 09:14 PM
I was on the freeway doing 70 MPH (in the fog) when the Northridge quake hit (6.7)...
If your radar detector was on it would have picked up the waves and warned you:D

Havasu Hangin'
12-10-2003, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by Kilrtoy
If your radar detector was on it would have picked up the waves and warned you:D
It did...I was doin' 95 MPH before I slowed down.

Kilrtoy
12-10-2003, 09:16 PM
LOL:D

likwidsukr
12-10-2003, 09:23 PM
Still no way man not the fuc***n ground shaking! F*** that mess. Not my dealio. I'll keep the hurricanes for now. Would like to move to AZ though, alot of quakes there?