PDA

View Full Version : Laptop style DVD players....HELP!

H20 Party Starter
12-10-2003, 10:11 PM
Ya know?.........the little flip up ones........smaller than a laptop, they come in like 5 and 7 inch screens. I'm shopping for a christmas present to keep the g/f quiet on long-trips lol
PepBoys of all places has them.........the one on display (playing) at the register was 5" only $159 and looked/sounded good.
I want something to put in the truck/hotel room etc..........but cheap. Pixles and shit don't really matter (I should be watching the road anyway)
H20=> First assumption was that PePBoys was NOT the place to make the purchase.
Who's got the hook-up????????????

Havasu Hangin'
12-10-2003, 10:15 PM
The "geeks" would probably check prices here (http://www.pricescan.com/electronics/03010201_PT.asp)

Boozer
12-10-2003, 10:18 PM
$159 for one of those little DVD players? That seems to cheap to be true or I'm just not with the times anymore.
Not even quite 2 years ago those things were selling for close to a grand. Then again a lot has changed in the Audio/Video worl in the last 2 years.
For $159 buy it and try it. If it sucks take it back.
Foes it have to be plugged into a regualr electric outlet or does it have a car adapter too?

Hallett19
12-10-2003, 10:34 PM
I got a Polaroid one, its great, great monitor, 7in LCD plays dvd's and cd's, I can also hook up my PS2 to it, keeps the girlfriend and brother happy, I also hook up my little old school cassete player to cd player adapter and we can hear movies and video games through the car speakers, who ever thought we would need one of those things EVER again !?!?

H20 Party Starter
12-10-2003, 10:59 PM
h19.........how much?
HH....thanks....sorry bout the low blow man.....finals have me feelin fiesty and avoiding the books....I'm the nerd lol, and I'll be here with you when everyone else spams too much.....you should hear what I call Tom Brown over at Barney's
Boozer.......I'm with you...........my roomate has a sony that cost him $1200 with all the power adapters and case 3 years ago:rolleyes:
I'm lookin to spend under $300......5" is fine, but I want both a car and home power adapt. and possibly a battery option.

JetBoatRich
12-11-2003, 06:57 AM
Costco has a pretty nice one, I believe it was $179. I was there Monday and almost picked it up.
Look at this link and maybe it will have the one you want
Costco (http://www.costco.com/frameset.asp?trg=subcat%2Easp&catid=79&subid=81&hierid=2471&log=&NavTop=)

spectratoad
12-11-2003, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by Hallett19
I also hook up my little old school cassete player to cd player adapter and we can hear movies and video games through the car speakers, who ever thought we would need one of those things EVER again !?!?
SHWING, Thanks Hallett, I was wondering on our last trip how to do that because you can't really hear the movie through the DVD speakers. You never know what you will learn on these boards.:D

burbanite
12-11-2003, 08:34 AM
Outside your budget but my Toshiba kicks ass, 8.9" widescreen, all the drama. I have three batteries, a car charger, etc, etc.

HOOTER SLED-
12-11-2003, 11:37 AM
Got me a set-up from Sam's Club for 5 bills. In my opinion, way better than then the laptop-type ones. Mine came in a kit with this:
- DVD player w/ 7" monitor attached (comes strapped in a bag that holds everything)
- remote
- 2nd monitor with a strap to attach it to a headrest in car
- 2 sets of earphones(not wireless)
- also comes with straps to attach bag between front two seats
- you can hook up Play Station to a monitor and watch a DVD on the other at the same time.
- AC adapter for home etc..
- DC adapter for car
Only thing better I see about the laptop ones is they usually come with a rechargable battery, so you can take them where you don't have a power source.
Only other disadvantage to mine was that it wasn't a NAME brand like Toshiba, etc.
I was unsure at first of the quality of an off-brand item, but so far, I have no complaints.
I was going to buy headrest monitors and a DVD player for my Suburban($1500 for kit). This set-up is definetely WAY cleaner. But I like now that I can even take the portable one in my boat, hotel room, etc. (keeps the kids happy).
I believe Sam's has my same set-up BUT with 5" monitors instead for around $380. The 7's are perfect, I think the 5's are too small.
You should be able to find a laptop one between $250 and $300 with a 7" monitor. Best Buy, Sam's, Circuit City, etc. I know, I looked everywhere.
Hope this helps. Good luck.
HOOTER

Essex502
12-12-2003, 07:28 AM
I bought the Costco one to keep the wife entertained on the drive to LHC. It works great! Great picture - low price, 12V adapter for the truck and battery pack. Didn't include headphones but Best Buy did the trick for that.

JetBoatRich
12-12-2003, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by Essex502
I bought the Costco one to keep the wife entertained on the drive to LHC. It works great! Great picture - low price, 12V adapter for the truck and battery pack. Didn't include headphones but Best Buy did the trick for that.
Best buy, has the same one right now on sale for $30 less:D