PDA

View Full Version : Unofficial OP6C Pismo trip

Hustler
12-11-2003, 03:13 PM
Thats right we play in the sand also :D so get your toys together and get your ass out there. And for those of you that dont have any toys and still want to play in the sand there are alot places to rent quads and trailers. for more info check the OP6C thread here Pismo Trip (http://op6c.com/forums/index.php?act=SF&f=13)

JetBoatRich
12-11-2003, 03:16 PM
Joe Superbowl weekend:yuk:

Jetdriver
12-11-2003, 03:17 PM
You might get sand in your schlitz!!!

Hustler
12-11-2003, 03:17 PM
what? you cant watch the game in the sand?:rolleyes:

JetBoatRich
12-11-2003, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Hustler
what? you cant watch the game in the sand?:rolleyes:
Sure, but the party moves to a different house each year.:D This year we are in-charge:eek!:
I guess, I can just leave the front door unlocked:rolleyes:

Hustler
12-12-2003, 11:48 AM
So, no one wants to do a pismo trip?

Mrs. Bordsmnj
12-12-2003, 02:22 PM
Hey Hustler,
Me and Jason are hoping to have new quads by then and we are in!
:D
Linda

Hustler
12-12-2003, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Mrs. Bordsmnj
Hey Hustler,
Me and Jason are hoping to have new quads by then and we are in!
:D
Linda
Sweet!! if you dont have them by then you can still come up and rent them.

Mrs. Bordsmnj
12-12-2003, 02:29 PM
Sweet!! if you dont have them by then you can still come up and rent them.
Sounds good! Count us in!

BADBLOWN572
12-12-2003, 03:08 PM
Linda what are you going to get?

Mrs. Bordsmnj
12-12-2003, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by BADBLOWN572
Linda what are you going to get?
Jason is still up in the air about what he wants but I think I settled on the Yamaha Warrior. I am kind of a sissy so I don't want one that I can't handle. Everyone keeps telling me I will want something more within no time but I guess I will just have to risk it. :p

BADBLOWN572
12-12-2003, 03:23 PM
Have you ridden any quads yet or have you just heard about them? We recently put a friend of ours (5'2 female) on a Banshee and she does just fine. She had never ridden before and did great. I also know a lot of girls who are on either Honda 400ex or 300ex and do great. Kinda depends on what you want. I would say to definitely ride a quad before you buy one!

boatnam2
12-12-2003, 03:45 PM
if tina can get off that weekend i wouldnt mind getting a littlsand down teh crack of my ass.will throw it by her.

Mrs. Bordsmnj
12-12-2003, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by boatnam2
i wouldnt mind getting a littlsand down teh crack of my ass.
LOL
:D :D

Hustler
12-12-2003, 03:49 PM
Hey Jim, you and Tina need to get your ass's out there since you did'nt make either of the OP6 parties this year:p :D

BoatFloating
12-12-2003, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Mrs. Bordsmnj
Jason is still up in the air about what he wants but I think I settled on the Yamaha Warrior. I am kind of a sissy so I don't want one that I can't handle. Everyone keeps telling me I will want something more within no time but I guess I will just have to risk it. :p
I would say as a new rider the Banshee is not the way to go. They are alot of work. I would go with the Honda 400ex, it's a great all around bike. The Warrior and The Honda 300ex you would out grow because of power. You could get a used 400ex for about $3,800.

MudPumper
12-12-2003, 04:12 PM
A female friend of mine has a 400 and she does great on it, we regularly go to Glamis. Something to think about, if you are going to a lot of riding in the sand, Dumont, Pismo, Glamis, you should diffinitely get a four stroke. Two strokes are a lot of work in the sand. Also, you don't have to mess around with mixing fuel.

BADBLOWN572
12-12-2003, 04:16 PM
Banshees a lot of work? Not mine! I have had one of mine for 4 years and the only thing that I have had to do was replace the stator. The other one I got about a year ago and is completely worked. I havent had to do anything but change the oil and plugs. Both of my bikes I just kick and go. I agree that it could be a little much for a beginner rider, but put the govenor on them and play for a little while and get used to the power band. Once you are used to the bike, you will love it!
I do agree that the warrior or 300ex will be down a little on power and you will probably want something new shortly after getting it, but they are great bikes to learn on. I would pick one up used and cheap, use it for a while then ditch it and get a bigger bike.
Step into the Banshee initially if you have the guts!

BADBLOWN572
12-12-2003, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by MudPumper
A female friend of mine has a 400 and she does great on it, we regularly go to Glamis. Something to think about, if you are going to a lot of riding in the sand, Dumont, Pismo, Glamis, you should diffinitely get a four stroke. Two strokes are a lot of work in the sand. Also, you don't have to mess around with mixing fuel.
Mud, I would have to disagree with you! I have riden a lot of 4-strokes and I would take my Banshee any day over them. I do not like the Raptors and the other 4-strokes I have riden. The only thing that you have to remember on a 2 stroke is to stay above the power band. In terms of speed, there is not much out that will play with a slightly worked banshee. As for mixing the fuel, how hard is it to pour in the mix at the house and let it mix its way up on the way out to the Dunes?
I do want to ride the new YZF-450 and from what I have heard, my opinion of the 4 stroke will change.

hboldno7
12-12-2003, 04:21 PM
Electric STart is the way to go for the ladies for sure. I bet it took jessica 50 kicks to get her banshee to start. She didnt act like it was a big deal but I bet she wished all she had to do was push and go instead of kick 50 times and go. Thats alot of work. Just my .02 though I really dont know shit about quads.

BADBLOWN572
12-12-2003, 04:23 PM
it will probably take someone with some weight behind them to get it fired the first time, but once it is warm no problem. Besides, she kept flooding her bike. She can kick mine with no problem even when cold.

hboldno7
12-12-2003, 04:25 PM
it will probably take someone with some weight behind them to get it fired the first time
So only Big Women should ride Banshee's :D ?

BADBLOWN572
12-12-2003, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by hboldno7
So only Big Women should ride Banshee's :D ?
Well they do have enough power to pull them.

MudPumper
12-12-2003, 04:29 PM
Mud, I would have to disagree with you! I have riden a lot of 4-strokes and I would take my Banshee any day over them. I do not like the Raptors and the other 4-strokes I have riden. The only thing that you have to remember on a 2 stroke is to stay above the power band. In terms of speed, there is not much out that will play with a slightly worked banshee. As for mixing the fuel, how hard is it to pour in the mix at the house and let it mix its way up on the way out to the Dunes?
I do want to ride the new YZF-450 and from what I have heard, my opinion of the 4 stroke will change.
I meant that the two stroke might be a lot of work for a female who is a beginner. You have to stay on the powerband with the 2stroke where the 4 has a very broad range. I have a YFZ 450, it will deffinately change your opinion. I always had 2strokes, this is my first 4 and I love it.

BADBLOWN572
12-12-2003, 04:33 PM
I have heard that they are sweet bikes. I wouldn't be opposed to riding one :D . I have riden a lot of the bikes that are 4 strokes and I like having the power band. Get it to hook instead of burning the tires then take off! Hey Mud, how many HP do the new 450's put out? I am thinking about having Trinity work my one Banshee to get about 65 H.P. out of it.

hboldno7
12-12-2003, 04:34 PM
Two stroke, four stroke Whatever. As long as it has a cooler rack on the back it will work out for msHBoldNo7.

BADBLOWN572
12-12-2003, 04:37 PM
If we can ever get her into the dunes!!! HEHE J/K

hboldno7
12-12-2003, 04:39 PM
no shit :D

JetBoatRich
12-12-2003, 04:45 PM
So, no one wants to do a pismo trip?
Sorry Joe, I did not mean it that way. Just can not make it that weekend :o
Looks like you have a great group of people going up.
Lets plan on a Dove Springs, JawBone or Cal City Trip.:cool:

MudPumper
12-12-2003, 04:56 PM
I have heard that they are sweet bikes. I wouldn't be opposed to riding one :D . I have riden a lot of the bikes that are 4 strokes and I like having the power band. Get it to hook instead of burning the tires then take off! Hey Mud, how many HP do the new 450's put out? I am thinking about having Trinity work my one Banshee to get about 65 H.P. out of it.
I believe they have 60HP and an aftermarket pipe, jet kit, and removing the airbox lid is good for about another 5.

hack job
12-12-2003, 05:07 PM
joe . like isiad over on op6 you can count us in for this one. i shlud have my bike back together by then.;) oh and i have a banshee and had no problems with it . when it was stock. it was great for chcicks to ride very easy to ride. i would liek to try the new yamaha 450 it supposly is very nice. ;) i went to long beach motor sports the other day and got real close to buying one . lol;)

MudPumper
12-12-2003, 05:19 PM
Hack, If you are thinking about the YFZ try LA Yamaha Aprilia in Marina Del Rey, best prices in CA

BADBLOWN572
12-12-2003, 06:28 PM
Linda, if you are curious to see how a banshee rides, give me a call at 714-313-8757. You are welcome to come over and go for a blast up and down the street.

missboatnam1
12-12-2003, 07:02 PM
linda rode miisb's honda 250 i dont think she is ready for a banshee yet.i could be wrong!

hack job
12-12-2003, 07:48 PM
Hack, If you are thinking about the YFZ try LA Yamaha Aprilia in Marina Del Rey, best prices in CA
after rebuilding my shee and droping some coin on some upgrades i think ill be sticking with the banshee for a while;)

77charger
12-12-2003, 09:39 PM
i have ridden the new 450 and it kicks ass i normally ride a 85 atc 250r and the 450 would smoke it.450 has exhaust,cam mod,and rejetted.pretty impressive

wrightnow
12-12-2003, 10:15 PM
Joe, I'm in for pismo trip, should like fun, The twins said ther in also....

Rivertoys
12-12-2003, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by 77charger
i have ridden the new 450 and it kicks ass i normally ride a 85 atc 250r and the 450 would smoke it.450 has exhaust,cam mod,and rejetted.pretty impressive
you're talking about the new Honda TRX450R? Is it out already?
RTJas :D

BADBLOWN572
12-13-2003, 08:46 AM
RT I think that he was talking about the new 450 Yamaha.

hack job
12-13-2003, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by wrightnow
Joe, I'm in for pismo trip, should like fun, The twins said ther in also....
funny i was going to call you and see if you were gong to make it.
will finally get to hit the sand with you guys ;)

BoatFloating
12-13-2003, 10:52 AM
you missed my point. I think the Banshee is a great bike. When I said alot of work I didn't mean repair I mean shifting and riding in the dunes for a new rider. With a Banshee there is a little more shifting involved in riding the dunes as compared to the the 4 stroke. The other major thing like others have mentioned is the electric start. If you're a newbie your going stall out 10-15 times on a ride and trust me you'll be tired and kick starting won't help. I just think a good powerful 4 stroke is a great bike for newbie's. The Suzuki, YZ 450 and the 400ex are all good bikes for a new person for all around riding. But wait until the new Honda 450R comes out if you going to get the best 4 stroke quad on the market.
Danny, maybe that Banshee is a little too much for you, how's that ACL:D

77charger
12-13-2003, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Rivertoys
you're talking about the new Honda TRX450R? Is it out already?
RTJas :D Unfortunitly it was the yamaha as you know i would have prefered the honda but it aint out yet and i think the honda is going to kick the yamis ass:D

Wicky
12-13-2003, 04:07 PM
Alright,
This is no longer an OP6 event. I'm taking it over. It is the 4 stroke spanking party. The 4SSP!!!! Banshees vs the raptors. CR250's vs the CRF 450. Yes, I know RC is planning on riding the CRF450 but, from what rumor I heard, it was not his choice. I'll be betting on the 2 strokes at your event!!!
Power to weight ratio is everything in the sand and in the water. Well lots not forget about traction or slip!!
Funny it takes a 450 4 stroke to compete with a 250 2 stroke eh?
Wish I was in Glamis, Dumont, Pink Coral,
Florence, or St A's right now,
Wicky
P.S. This pic was taken of me a few weeks ago. If you look carefully down below you can see the lake where I run my Allison at.

Wicky
12-13-2003, 04:08 PM
Whoops, wrong pic.... here ya go.

phebus
12-14-2003, 11:42 AM
I'm looking at getting a Honda 400EX. Has anyone on here bought one recently? I would like to know what they are actually selling for out the door, so I can gauge whether I am getting a good deal without having to go to a bunch of different dealers playing "Let's make a deal"
Thanks

hack job
12-14-2003, 12:00 PM
Unfortunitly it was the yamaha as you know i would have prefered the honda but it aint out yet and i think the honda is going to kick the yamis ass:D
i think that you might be wrong on this one , form every article i have seen the honda is just not as well refind, and that is not typical honda fashion . usally they have a better package. i like yamahas and i like hondas so its nothing like that. its just the facts.

77charger
12-14-2003, 02:15 PM
Hey tyson what won the baja1000?Honda or yami? 2.5 hrs difference going to the honda:) .Will be interesting when they both go head to head on the shootouts I know the honda doesnt have the electric start though.

BADBLOWN572
12-14-2003, 07:28 PM
Rocky, I do agree with you that the Banshee takes more to ride than a lot of other bikes. I think that is what is fun about them! I love always having to correct. Otherwise I would be bored. The one thing that I really like about the Banshee is the power to weight ratio. The thing moves, yet is light enough to throw around. It takes much more effort to do it with a quad that is a lot heavier.
As for the new quads coming out, only time will tell which is better. I am looking forward to seeing what the reports say between the two.

MudPumper
12-15-2003, 08:35 AM
As for the new quads coming out, only time will tell which is better. I am looking forward to seeing what the reports say between the two. [/B]
Obviously I can't form an opinion about the Honda because I have not ridden one, but the magazines have already done many head to head comparisons and the Yamaha has won them all hands down.

Mrs. Bordsmnj
12-15-2003, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by missboatnam1
linda rode miisb's honda 250 i dont think she is ready for a banshee yet.i could be wrong!
Gotta agree with ya on this, Super Tina! :D

hack job
12-15-2003, 10:31 AM
Hey tyson what won the baja1000?Honda or yami? 2.5 hrs difference going to the honda:) .Will be interesting when they both go head to head on the shootouts I know the honda doesnt have the electric start though.
are you tqalking aobut quads or bikes?
i was talking quads:confused:

wrightnow
12-15-2003, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by hack job
funny i was going to call you and see if you were gong to make it.
will finally get to hit the sand with you guys ;)
How are thing, be meaning to give to guys a call and see whats up...
We are heading out to glamis for new years also if you guy want to go...
Mark

BADBLOWN572
12-15-2003, 02:10 PM
The big difference between the Banshee and Warrior is the power to weight ratio. I don't have any idea what the actual weight difference in the two bikes are, but the Banshee you can throw around like a toy in the sand. I have never riden a Warrior in the sand.

wrightnow
12-15-2003, 03:14 PM
The warrior is a pig in the sand, won't make it up the tall dunes. much differant bike
Mark

bordsmnj
12-15-2003, 03:28 PM
yamaha warrior / Banshee
claimed dry wieght : 397lbs / 386lbs
motor : 348cc 4sroke ,single / 347cc 2stroke, twin
i'm glad you siad something about honda's being a bitch to start,Dave. that's good to know. looking like a suzuki z400 for me

BoatFloating
12-15-2003, 03:30 PM
Obviously I can't form an opinion about the Honda because I have not ridden one, but the magazines have already done many head to head comparisons and the Yamaha has won them all hands down.
I don't know what magazine you've seen that in, because I haven't read that. I can tell you that Yamaha got it's ass handed to it in the Baja 1000 and that was with the Yamaha team cutting corners. I talked to a guy at Temecula Motorsports who raced the Baja 1000 on a 250R and he said by far the Honda will be the best on the market. This is coming from a place that sells Honda. Kawi's, Susuzki's and Yamaha's.
RD, as for the V-Force, you might as well drive a Hummer or a tank would be smaller. Automatic??????????
My 2 400ex's one built and one stock start fine with choke on in the cold mornings in the dunes. The stock one starts a little faster than built becaused of the hot box on built one takes alot of juice.

BoatFloating
12-15-2003, 03:32 PM
Mark
Have any of you guys stayed at Buttercup. We are thinking of going for New Years and wonder if we could find a spot big enough for a group of 10-12 rigs.

boatnam2
12-15-2003, 03:51 PM
i almost bought the 700 but got the kawi 400 instead.very fun bike top ride.the 700 is a tank at almost 500 pounds but 100+ off of the showroom floor is hauling ass.i also heard the electronic shifting always keeps the motor in the sweet spot.i have ridden the 400 and thought it was nice but i like having reverse and think that the suzi kawa suspension is way nicer then the 400 ex.also its water cooled.owned a banshee pretty fast,little vibration,no real changes in about 12 years.

phebus
12-15-2003, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by bordsmnj
i'm glad you siad something about honda's being a bitch to start,Dave. that's good to know. looking like a suzuki z400 for me
I'm looking at getting a new Honda 400EX, because I need a good reliable quad, but a couple of people suggested I look at the Suzuki 400. Comments? Also, has anyone with a Honda had any problems with overheating? I don't know how an air cooled four stroke compares to a liquid cooled one.

boatnam2
12-15-2003, 04:00 PM
i think the susuki is a little faster but i dont race so it dont matter.the suzi has reverse and is water cooled.i dont think overheating is a problem with the honda and you can never knock honda's quality.when i bought my kawi i based it on the fact the suzi has some newer technology,watercooled,reverse(big plus)5200otd for the honda 5800otd for the suzi so the only decision is reverse, water cooling,choice of 4 colors or red for 600 bucks!

Hustler
12-15-2003, 04:03 PM
I would suggest the Suzuki Z400 over the 400ex, the perfomance and handling of the Z400 is much better than the 400ex. Call LA cycles if your interested in the Z400, there price is untouchable.

boatnam2
12-15-2003, 04:07 PM
who cares which bike won the baja 1000 there is so many factors i think the winning bike of the baja 1000 dont mean shit when it comes down to deciding which bike is best.becides all the new quads out are nice but are made for different things and poeple and riding styles.

boatnam2
12-15-2003, 04:09 PM
i have found that when your ready to buy a bike and i have bought many just call lacycle sports bob gregor and get his price which is always the lowest bar none and take it to your local dealer.usally they will get close to matching it 20 to 50 bucks.for 20 i will pass on the drive from norco to lax.

Hustler
12-15-2003, 04:11 PM
OK I think we pretty much covered the ups and downs of most quads. Now back on track here......So Who's going to Pismo??:D

MudPumper
12-15-2003, 04:18 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by BoatFloating
[B]I don't know what magazine you've seen that in, because I haven't read that.
You must not have been reading Dirt Wheels or any of the other ATV mag's then.

hack job
12-15-2003, 04:39 PM
Mark
ill aks around and see who wants to go there for new years. sounds like fun if my bike is running. lol

77charger
12-15-2003, 04:44 PM
OK I think we pretty much covered the ups and downs of most quads. Now back on track here......So Who's going to Pismo??:D
So far i am in:) If my wife doesnt make it i told jason he could ride up with me and i'll be taking the toybox

BoatFloating
12-15-2003, 06:26 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by BoatFloating
[B]I don't know what magazine you've seen that in, because I haven't read that.
You must not have been reading Dirt Wheels or any of the other ATV mag's then.
I've read them and I didn't see any place that they said the Yamaha was hands down better than the Honda. I don't think they've done a true head to head testing of both bikes. I think the Honda is lighter and has more power than the Yamaha and should do well in the dunes and the Yamaha would do good in a MX track.
I have 2 400ex and think the Z400 is better for the liquid cooled aspect but the the handling is a toss up. A friend of mine has a Z400 and I think my 400ex handles better. But again that's my .02.

phebus
12-15-2003, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by boatnam2
i have found that when your ready to buy a bike and i have bought many just call lacycle sports bob gregor and get his price which is always the lowest bar none and take it to your local dealer.usally they will get close to matching it 20 to 50 bucks.for 20 i will pass on the drive from norco to lax.
Bob Gregor gave me a quote via e-mail, but he quoted the current MSRPof the Honda 400EX as 5699.00 while the current MSRP is now 5299.00.. I e-mailed him back asking for an updated out the door price, but haven't gotten a response yet. We'll see what he can do, as I haven't heard back yet. The best price out the door I have recieved is 5300.00, and I plan on going to buy it Wed. unless I get a better price.

phebus
12-15-2003, 09:38 PM
Bo Gregor at L.A. Cycle is the low price leader.. He really is competitive. Best price yet....

MJ19
12-16-2003, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by RiverDave
Well since the thread already has been hijacked...
RD <---- will be in Pismo for this trip
To get back on track from the three page hijack...Pismo...the Miller's are in too :D

Hustler
12-16-2003, 09:43 PM
If any one needs help making arrangements for rentals or anything just let me know, I'll be more than happy to help ya out

68campbell
12-17-2003, 09:31 AM
I can Answer the original question:
1. Johnny Campbell/Steve Hengeveld-Honda XR650R-15:39:52
2. Christopher Blais/Chuck Dempsey/Andy Grider/Beau Hayden-Honda XR650R-16:32:44
3. Craig Adams/Rich Binkley/Chris Haines/Bob Johnson/Jack Johnson/Paul Ostbo-Honda XR650R-17:37:30
4. Gerardo Rojas/Sergio Vega-Honda XR650R-17:43:18
5. Jeff Kaplan/Jim O'Neal/Tim Withers-Honda XR650R-17:43:21

Flying Tiger
12-17-2003, 11:40 AM
Two Yamaha YFZ 450's
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/939PB260056-med.JPG

MJ19
12-17-2003, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by 68campbell
I can Answer the original question:
1. Johnny Campbell/Steve Hengeveld-Honda XR650R-15:39:52
2. Christopher Blais/Chuck Dempsey/Andy Grider/Beau Hayden-Honda XR650R-16:32:44
Do you or Trav still talk to Andy Grider anymore? I didn't realize he was still riding? I thought he opened a construction business and started his family. :confused:

Hustler
12-18-2003, 01:00 PM
Any one that is looking to rent a toy hauler can call Roger at Haulin toyz 805-641-2869. Roger is a great guy to work with also.

Washed Ashore
12-30-2003, 11:33 AM
for anyone looking for a quad,I have a 87 250R with a CR500 motor,rebuilt,low hours.This thing is thump'n ass fast,paddles/dirt tires included,newer plastic&seat.If you cant start a 500, this bike is not for you. $ 3000.00 firm Jeff Glow (209)869-3545

hboldno7
12-30-2003, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Washed Ashore
for anyone looking for a quad,I have a 87 250R with a CR500 motor,rebuilt,low hours.This thing is thump'n ass fast,paddles/dirt tires included,newer plastic&seat.If you cant start a 500, this bike is not for you. $ 3000.00 firm Jeff Glow (209)869-3545
Any pics of it? It sounds pretty bad ass. What year is the CR500 motor?

Washed Ashore
12-30-2003, 12:17 PM
I'm at my shop and my computer is super slow,I usually post pics from home(dsl)but, our house is in remod now(warzone).If your interested I will get you pics.the motor is a 85' water cooled,the plastic is white w/red tank,seat&frame.I had decals made that say 500R,they look factory.

68campbell
12-30-2003, 03:04 PM
I see Andy all the time. You can usually catch him at the longhorn on sat/sun mornings. He's been riding well the last couple of years.
I'd love to be there, heck I drove past about 2hrs ago, looked windy. But, I have to leave for Cabo on Sunday. Someone has to take the crappy trips.

MJ19
12-30-2003, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by 68campbell
I see Andy all the time. You can usually catch him at the longhorn on sat/sun mornings. He's been riding well the last couple of years.
I'd love to be there, heck I drove past about 2hrs ago, looked windy. But, I have to leave for Cabo on Sunday. Someone has to take the crappy trips.
I thought they moved out of the valley when they pulled their daughter from Family School.
Are you saying you have to go to Cabo, so you can't go to pismo? must be tough :p

Hustler
01-12-2004, 11:51 AM
Three weeks to go :D If you know for sure that you are going go ahead and make a reservation just to be on the safe side.
http://www.reserveamerica.com/jsp/commonpage.jsp?goto=/usa/ca/ocea/newindex.html