PDA

View Full Version : Staining on hull

punthouse
09-16-2002, 05:02 PM
Not exactly I/O related but need some help. 1989 White Sea Ray. Getting some brown staining below the water line. Boat not stored in water and only in water for a few hours a week. Different spots on hull. Nothing seem to remove it. Wax, cleaner wax, bug and tar, soap, elbow grease. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The hull was perfectly clean this spring.

rbtnt
09-16-2002, 05:24 PM
Try contacting Dave at vyper340@cox.net. He's been selling some pool cleaner that takes the stains off and leaves the wax. He's been getting lots of raves on other sites.

lakesmodified
09-16-2002, 06:37 PM
punthouse:
Not exactly I/O related but need some help. 1989 White Sea Ray. Getting some brown staining below the water line. Boat not stored in water and only in water for a few hours a week. Different spots on hull. Nothing seem to remove it. Wax, cleaner wax, bug and tar, soap, elbow grease. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The hull was perfectly clean this spring.Punthouse.... Not sure if you have what I'm thinking about, but there's a quick easy test to see if it is in fact what I'm going to tell you about. I have an inground fiberglass pool that stains from time to time. These stains are caused by disolved "metals" in the water. A quick test to see if your stains are caused by this, is get a generic vitamin "C" pill and rub it on the stained area. You need to make sure it's wet, so that the ascorbic acid is disolved as you rub the vitamin C across the hull. If it cleans a path as you rub it across, then that's your stain. Pool supply stores sell the ascorbic acid in 2lb tubs(powdered) Hope this helps. Ivan

frenchy
09-16-2002, 06:57 PM
I had the same stains on my hull a couple of years ago. I used STARBRITE brand hull cleaner. It is an oxalic acid cleaner. Walmart carries it.

gnarley
09-17-2002, 08:39 AM
frenchy:
I had the same stains on my hull a couple of years ago. I used STARBRITE brand hull cleaner. It is an oxalic acid cleaner. Walmart carries it.This is the stuff!!! STARBRITE hull cleaner with oxalic acid. Don't waste your time with anything else. wash your boat then after its dry spray the stuff on for about a minute then rinse it off. You WILL be AMAZED at the difference. I can even hear you saying WOW it works so good!

powerplay230
09-18-2002, 12:07 PM
Cheap and easy trick one of the ol' guys at the marina showed me was "Snow Bol" toilet cleaner. Works super on fiberglass just be careful to keep away from anything painted. Squirt it on, rinse it off, it's that easy!

punthouse
09-22-2002, 01:56 PM
The vitamin C pill did the trick. Thanks so much.

lakesmodified
09-22-2002, 05:15 PM
punthouse:
The vitamin C pill did the trick. Thanks so much.Punthouse, you're welcome.... Did you pick up the Ascorbic acid at a pool supply store yet? It shouldn't run more than about $30.00 for a 2 lb container. Ivan