PDA

View Full Version : Hey Billy B

Blown 472
12-16-2003, 09:44 AM
What is the diff in the bottoms of a drag flat and a circle race flat.
I was rummaging thru some old hot boat mags and found an article bout a black shovel nose that you did a batman logo on the front, nice work.

BILLY.B
12-17-2003, 07:07 AM
Drag boats have a completly different bottom design then a circle boat. Drag boats have a center pad with drop chines that create's a mini tunnel effect and channels the air and gives the boat lift which in turns gives the boat big speed and quick et's (less wetted surface). Because of the major lift that a drag boat can achieve they have to run on smooth water. Circle boats for the most part are a true flat. They have a deep entry at the front of the hull (almost like a small v), strakes that run from front to back, some have four strakes but most are two strake bottoms, and the strakes assist in channeling the water out the back of the boat with a small amount of lift. They also help with turning when you slam the nose down on a one pin turn. Alot of blueprinting goes on with a circle boat bottom to try and improve the lift but also keep the boat stable down the straight aways. :cool:

Blown 472
12-17-2003, 07:32 AM
You have any pics??

BILLY.B
12-17-2003, 07:34 AM
Another thing about flats. After reading your other thread Jetboatguru is correct. Flats get a bad rap for not being able to go fast in rough water, no room, can't go far on gas, and sit around most of the day waiting for some nice water to run fast in. BUT, when they do come out the people come a running. I have always said that a flatty is a street rod for the water, and there aren't many street rod owners that would take there "2" seater 32 ford coupe out in bad weather, over a rough road, and drive for miles to hang out at the bar (Topock) :rolleyes: . They would just climb in there CADDY (BIG BOAT) and cruise with there buddies to the nearest titty bar (SAND BAR) and have a nice day without anybody even so much as looking at his ride :D .

Blown 472
12-17-2003, 07:42 AM
That is the reason I am keeping my jet. Got tired of beating my head agianst the wall trying to go fast and want to step up to a real hot rod.

BILLY.B
12-17-2003, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by Blown 472
That is the reason I am keeping my jet. Got tired of beating my head agianst the wall trying to go fast and want to step up to a real hot rod. My point exactly !!!!. Good luck in finding something. If I can give you one bit of advice it would be to spend some "GOOD MONEY" now, instead of spending "MORE MONEY" later. :)

Blown 472
12-17-2003, 07:55 AM
Thanks for the info and your time.:)

Morg
12-17-2003, 07:55 AM
Yeah baby,
We call that "Getting Religion"
I would like to be there when you run the hot rod for the first time.
Seen a couple of guys bounce around the lake for a couple of miutes. Shut the thing off & sit with a look of what the hell was I thinking. Then they ask one of their buddy's. "What are the peddels on the right for?"
Beleive me, The first time the beast hooks up hard & hangs the fin in the air, while the ass end airs out. It will all make perfect sense.
Morg.

superdave013
12-17-2003, 08:49 AM
Blow, I will only say this one time.
And I'm only sayin it because I have some other things cookin so I can't spend the coin right now.
This is your dog right here and you better get it quick.
http://www.dragboats.com/images/classified/durbin_mark.jpg

dossangers
12-17-2003, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by BILLY.B
Another thing about flats. After reading your other thread Jetboatguru is correct. Flats get a bad rap for not being able to go fast in rough water, no room, can't go far on gas, and sit around most of the day waiting for some nice water to run fast in. BUT, when they do come out the people come a running. I have always said that a flatty is a street rod for the water, and there aren't many street rod owners that would take there "2" seater 32 ford coupe out in bad weather, over a rough road, and drive for miles to hang out at the bar (Topock) :rolleyes: . They would just climb in there CADDY (BIG BOAT) and cruise with there buddies to the nearest titty bar (SAND BAR) and have a nice day without anybody even so much as looking at his ride :D . CLASSIC CHIEF!!!!! LOL AND LMAO!!!

flattie
12-17-2003, 09:45 PM
Oh yeah
You have gotta get a flat! They ride like shit but man are they a whole bunch of fun

BILLY.B
12-17-2003, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by flattie
Oh yeah
You have gotta get a flat! They ride like shit but man are they a whole bunch of fun I kinda get the feelin that most people want to compare flats of today with the flats of yester year, such as the one that Elvis drove in the movie Clam Bake. I could take you for a ride in my boat and I think most of you would be amazed at how good it rides thru the rough shit at the river. Now crusin around Lake Havasu on a busy weekend would be another story. Especially with all those NO RESPECT big boat owners that forgot where most of them can from (small boat owner at one time :mad: ). Now that i've pissed the big boat owners off, HAPPY HOLIDAYS :D :D .

flattie
12-18-2003, 05:32 AM
Hey Billy
When I get out that way again I will take you up on that offer of a ride in that K boat

Blown 472
12-18-2003, 07:16 AM
I kinda get the feelin that most people want to compare flats of today with the flats of yester year, such as the one that Elvis drove in the movie Clam Bake. I could take you for a ride in my boat and I think most of you would be amazed at how good it rides thru the rough shit at the river. Now crusin around Lake Havasu on a busy weekend would be another story. Especially with all those NO RESPECT big boat owners that forgot where most of them can from (small boat owner at one time :mad: ). Now that i've pissed the big boat owners off, HAPPY HOLIDAYS :D :D .
Sounds like my boating day, I call them penis boats.

BigBoyToys
12-18-2003, 09:05 AM
Blown472, Here's a pic of the bottom of my Biesemeyer. It will give ya a little better idea of what Billy B was talking about with the circle boats being a true flat. It's not the best pic in the world but it will give you an idea of the hull characteristics......
http://www.pritek.net/bboat/bezf.jpg
BTW, it is for sale:D

Scarlotti
12-18-2003, 09:35 AM
fo sale?
bummer.

BILLY.B
12-18-2003, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by Scarlotti
fo sale?
bummer. You ought a know about selling a circle boat. Hopefully BBT won't sell his for a SKI NATIQUE !!!! :D

126driver
12-19-2003, 07:24 AM
Here you go:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/524/95upside_down_close1-med.jpg

Blown 472
12-19-2003, 07:31 AM
What are the two little fins for?? and what is the part in the very right of the pic? that a strake?

HM
12-19-2003, 09:59 AM
I kinda get the feelin that most people want to compare flats of today with the flats of yester year, such as the one that Elvis drove in the movie Clam Bake.
Hey, that Marathon Deck Mandella that Elvis drove in the movie Clam Bake was a pretty decent riding flat!! 1,000 lb hull, with 200+ gallons of fuel (they called them floating gas stations)- rode nice due to the weight alone. After weighing my Long Deck Mandella, I realized why it road so well for a flat.
Blown, I just had the bottom of my "flat" blue printed as it had major handling issues over 90 MPH. I like the roundy rounds as they are fun as hell to drive - and I am not afraid of rough water - they are made for it (but your kidneys were not).
A couple of HB members have ridden in my flat - HotHallet, MikeF, Cyclone, and a couple others. They were amazed at the handling (HotHallet got a bit puckered - not his fault - no handles for the passenger and we did a nice little chine walking at ~70 MPH through some majorly ugly water) and the sensation of speed.
My favorite part is the feeling of "flying" when at speed in rough water. You can feel the entire boat leave the water, but the prop is still hooked up and pushing you in the air.:D :D :D :D Dam-to-Dam Mike knows that feeling well - although he tends to scare the pee-oss outa the 1/4 miler guys.:wink:

126driver
12-19-2003, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by Blown 472
What are the two little fins for?? and what is the part in the very right of the pic? that a strake?
Those little fins on the cavitation plates are "skid fins" or "turn fins". We don't run them that big, they're cut down to roughly a third of the size as those. Yes, you're seeing part of one of the strakes off to the right.

BILLY.B
12-20-2003, 01:38 PM
Whats with the huge hook right by the left fin?:D

GofastRacer
12-20-2003, 07:49 PM
Hmmm, I must be blind all I see is a wheel on the golf cart???:confused: :confused: