PDA

View Full Version : Anyone That Knows Cnc Machining......

WILDERTHANU
12-16-2003, 11:34 AM
WE ARE LOOKING TO BUY ANOTHER CNC.......GIVE ME YOUR OPINIONS ON WHO YOU THINK PRODUCES A QUALITY MILL AND WHY.

Essex502
12-16-2003, 12:40 PM
Mazak
Cincinatti Milacron

Clown
12-16-2003, 01:32 PM
I would agree Mazak Has their $hit together.
I have worked on a TREE mill aswell. Basic programing,And you can get a fourth axis rotary head if you need.

rivercrazy
12-16-2003, 01:35 PM
Okuma

OLDRAT
12-16-2003, 03:03 PM
Wilder,
What's the specific application:
- small or large machine center?
- horizontal or vertical mill?
-number of axis?
The guys listed some pretty good brands, just make sure
the controls match, or are compatable with your other
machines if possible. With the exception of the our Milicron
five-axis machines, we are using GE Fanuc controls just to
keep the programs consistent on the 3 and 4 axis machines.
Some of my other five axis use windows based "MDSI
Open CNC" based control software, but that is due to
the type of aerodynamic programs we run.
Just my .02

wsuwrhr
12-16-2003, 10:14 PM
Talk about bait,....hahah
You have to list some other factors, every machine is good for something in it's own way. Hell a Femco is a good machine if you want something new for as cheap as it gets.
Are you doing mold work where you need precise movement with high resolution? Just want something to drill holes, something with a tool changer? Milling steel, aluminum, plastic, wood, all materials?
What kind of controllers are on the other machines you have?
Side mount tool changer, umbrellas suck.
Brian

OLDRAT
12-17-2003, 06:54 AM
:confused:

challengerjet
12-17-2003, 11:05 AM
Wilder...
Oldrat hit it on the head with his response...
what are your materials?
Stay away from refurbished machines, they are cheap but just remember, you get what you pay for.
My brand of choice would be hands down MORI SEIKI, then Okuma, Matsuura, Makino. These machines are all Japanese made all have hardened and ground box ways as options. Fanuc Controls are the most common and easiest to get parts for. If you buy Okuma, you are locked on buying parts from Okuma exclusively.
I've been a CNC Dealer for 10 yrs if I can help, let me know.
cjet

Essex502
12-17-2003, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by challengerjet
Wilder...
Oldrat hit it on the head with his response...
what are your materials?
Stay away from refurbished machines, they are cheap but just remember, you get what you pay for.
My brand of choice would be hands down MORI SEIKI, then Okuma, Matsuura, Makino. These machines are all Japanese made all have hardened and ground box ways as options. Fanuc Controls are the most common and easiest to get parts for. If you buy Okuma, you are locked on buying parts from Okuma exclusively.
I've been a CNC Dealer for 10 yrs if I can help, let me know.
cjet
Why not buy American?

challengerjet
12-17-2003, 04:33 PM
I guess you could if you wanted a second tier machine, American made machines just don't have the same quality as the Japanese machines. I'm a firm believer in buy American and all but not when it comes to CNC technology.
you get what you pay for. HAAS, FADAL, FEMCO all are made on Japanese machines. Haas has the largest HMC machining cell in North America and it's Mori Seiki.
just my opinion of course.
cjet

Essex502
12-18-2003, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by challengerjet
I guess you could if you wanted a second tier machine, American made machines just don't have the same quality as the Japanese machines. I'm a firm believer in buy American and all but not when it comes to CNC technology.
you get what you pay for. HAAS, FADAL, FEMCO all are made on Japanese machines. Haas has the largest HMC machining cell in North America and it's Mori Seiki.
just my opinion of course.
cjet
Sad statement when it comes to US technological prowess to have to rely on foreign machine tools!
What do you all think of the Bostomatic BDC 3200? One of my clients uses this for extremely high precision machining for injection molds. Also has a Monarch VMC 150 has is HUGE.

challengerjet
12-18-2003, 09:32 AM
Essex,
I can't say that I know much about Monarch or Bostomatic. If it is working for them then they've got have the battle won. I just know from experience that it's alot easier to find parts and service for the more popular Japanese machines.
I agree with your statement regarding US tech., back in the early days you couldn't beat a Cincinnati or LeBlond or any of the other US made machines but since the late 70's Japan has been kickin our ass when it comes to these machines. I would say that 70-80% of aerospace and hi precision shops are running japanese machines, while most job shops vary when it comes to them, they are usually shopping price/terms, and warranty which is where the US machines have them beat.
cjet