PDA

View Full Version : exhaust

Ian
11-14-2002, 10:26 PM
I just bought a 1987 Bahner, it's 21 ft with a merc 260 and Alpha outdrive. I am really impressed with the boat, it is built well and it will do 59.6 mph on the gps with two full tanks and two adult males. The only problem is it's about as loud as a toaster, this just won't do, seeing as how my other boat is a blown flatty with zoomies. I was wondering how much it would cost to install some thru transom exhaust, or do you think I could do it relatively easy. I would like to do it for as little money as possible, but I want it to be done right. The boat is spotless so I don't want to ruin it

Havasu Hangin'
11-15-2002, 06:26 AM
I did mine myself. I bought the tips, hose, and elbows from Eddie. All you need is a hole saw, a screwdriver, and some silicone- it should only take a couple of hours, if everything is accessible. Probably saved $500 or so doing it myself.
Keep in mind that once you go loud, you can't go back...sometimes I miss the quiet running of a cruiser...

XTRM22
11-15-2002, 11:13 AM
I don't want disagree with Havasu Hanging cause we usually agree on stuff ( and he could be a dangerous enemy) but if you're exhausting throught he drive now, you really need to yank the motor to get the y pipe off the drive and put the blocking plate on. I had it done in my old 19' Galaxie and I did upgrade to Imco powerflows (not worth the money on a small block,but I wouldn't listen) and I think I was into the whole deal for 2200.00. On the positive side it sounded and looked cooler which is as important as performance... right??????
Chuck

Havasu Hangin'
11-15-2002, 11:24 AM
XTRM22:
I don't want disagree with Havasu Hanging cause we usually agree on stuff ( and he could be a dangerous enemy)Don't make me cut & paste...
XTRM22:
but if you're exhausting throught he drive now, you really need to yank the motor to get the y pipe off the drive and put the blocking plate on...Actually, Chuck is right. I had put my block-off plate on when I the engine & drive were out...so I skipped that minor detail about pulling the engine...
However, I have heard of guys just capping the y-pipe off to keep from pulling the engine (if you don't like that sort of thing)...