PDA

View Full Version : What Do You Think ?

1Bahnerjet
12-16-2003, 05:04 PM
This Southwind is in the Jan. '04 Hot Boat Special Performance Section. Painted by the Owner who has 100's of hour of Sweat and Tears in it, Do you like it ? or Not ?
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/4312-16-03_2_-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/4312-16-03_3_-med.jpg

Foggerjet
12-16-2003, 05:12 PM
Looks great! I wish my turd looked that good. Tow rig is a nice touch.

disco_charger
12-16-2003, 07:17 PM
Saw that boat at the Avi during the Classic Boat Beach Bash. I believe they post here. I don't think that the paint was the only new thing. I think they redid it all. Talked to the lady (wife?) when we were parked next to them. I like the fact that they did it themselves. Lot's of people talk trash about how bitchen their boat is, but very few people had anything to do with it other than pay the bill. I respect the effort, and the execution, and love that they're grass roots hot boaters.

Jake W
12-16-2003, 07:23 PM
Well not to offend them if they post on hear but it looks like a 1980s Mini Truck paint job.Water splashes give me a break.The boat does look clean just not my style.
My new hull is Black and yellow witch go togeather but then it has blue and red stripes that shit just does not go togeather typical 78 jell job .What were thes guys thinking back then?
Jake

MudPumper
12-16-2003, 07:24 PM
I have to say that I respect the time and effort put into restoring the boat, but I just can't get past the paint scheme. Having owned a 76 Southwind and currently owning an 82 Southwind............................(Scratching Head)!!!!!!!!!

460rogers
12-16-2003, 07:24 PM
iT'S DIFFERENT! I like it and i'm old school.WE BE COOL THE KING SAID SO !

TRG
12-16-2003, 08:26 PM
i saw this boat out at elsinore in passing on my way out (hung over!) and he on his way in... looking down the deck... flawless, it looked like it was 3'deep (clear)!
i say...good onya',at least his set-up matches his truck!
todd

moneysucker
12-16-2003, 11:09 PM
As a southwind owner I am not going to say anything. As long as they like it that is all that counts. who cares what anyone else thinks. I would be willing to bet that the original gell underneath has metal flake and some serious 70s action going on. I am personally verry happy that my 77 is solid black with no disco, or shag carpet. The effort of an owner is something that deserves respect.

Doug H.
12-16-2003, 11:26 PM
This is Scott and Julies boat, they boat with the "Pyramid Posse" :D they have a ton of money and man hours into this boat, they're pretty proud of their accomplishment and rightfully so. Good job Scott and Julie :D

MoJetBoPar
12-17-2003, 09:44 AM
My boat is ALOT uglier.
So YES, I like it. Not my style of paint scheme but the guy did a GREAT job.

Cas
12-17-2003, 09:51 AM
It's unique and for that, I like it. I also appreciate all the time and effort that has apparently gone into it. The only thing that I personally don't really like is the color of the interior, maybe a little softer blue than it has. Then again, it could be the way different surfaces reflect light?
Great Job!

HotHallet
12-17-2003, 10:28 AM
Respect the effort put forth by the owners but can't get into the paint scheme. Personally I thought the boat looked great in the before photos and I am a firm believer in leaving these 70's jet boats period perfect. No offense intended.

Hotcrusader76
12-17-2003, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by 1Bahnerjet
This Southwind is in the Jan. '04 Hot Boat Special Performance Section. Painted by the Owner who has 100's of hour of Sweat and Tears in it, Do you like it ? or Not ?
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/4312-16-03_2_-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/4312-16-03_3_-med.jpg
So that's who the boat belongs too...
I was parked next to you at the CBBB. Did you ever get that roap/D-ring out of the pump?
~Ty

HalletDave
12-17-2003, 11:25 AM
Did you ever get that roap/D-ring out of the pump?
Ty,
I know Scott and Julie personally and the answer to your question is yes.
I also appreciate the time and effort put into their boat.
I have to say I am on board with HotHallet about the period perfect idea. :cool:
That is why you probably won't ever see a blower sticking out of the dog house of my ole '77 Hallett "Root Beer Float" ;)
HD

SPECTRABRENT
12-17-2003, 02:25 PM
I do agree with HallettDave & Hot Hallett keep the 1970's boats original.
Brent

flat broke
12-17-2003, 02:54 PM
Paint schemes are subjective, but they had a ton of time into the boat, and that's what it's all about... making the best of what you have.
I spoke with them Friday or Sunday night (can't remember) in the Feathers cafe' about their woes with the boat. They had a tough time of things that weekend and I wish things had gone better for them. They seemed like nice people and the wife was up to speed on what was going on with their ride :)
I hope to see them at the Avi again this year, but minus the mechanical problems.
Chris

Danhercules
12-17-2003, 03:34 PM
They had nothing but problems. I was next to them at the CBBB. He just got the pump and motor rebuilt, (if I remeber right) and the thing fried on him. No water throught the motor. He thought it was toast, and locked up. He got it fired again after opening the valve all the way and it still got hot. I towed him to the ramp, The rope came off my boat, and I was taking on water too. I thought he was gonna hit the piller of the bridge, but he got to the ramp ok.
I felt soooo bad for him that weekend. He put soooo much time in that boat, (money counts as time, gotta work). All I can say about the paint, I would not do that to mine, but I like looking at it., By the way, it can never be ugly, its a SOUTHWIND!!!!!

Heatseeker
12-17-2003, 05:42 PM
The Paint scheme is a little more than I would do, but it is a beautiful boat. Their pride in ownership shines through and rightly so.
I guess I'm just one of the old school bunch.

timitunnel
12-17-2003, 08:51 PM
Who hasn't had a rough day at the lake. Always better than sitting at home. Paint sceams are artistic visions and I am not artistic so I'll keep my thoughts to myself. Hearing that they did it themselfs my respect for them to the highest level. Congrats on getting in the mag. Tim

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
12-17-2003, 09:38 PM
Shit i had tooo many rough days at the lake last year. i totally feel thier pain. i do like the boat and the paint. I give mad ups to anyone that does all of thier own work. I know what they went through. I redid my other boat all by myself, hell I even dropped the motor in by myself.

Wicky
12-17-2003, 10:14 PM
This is what I think!! Take it to Havasu Barney for a gel coat upgrade!!!

Jet City
12-19-2003, 04:32 PM
I think the guy did an outstanding job restoring the boat, the colors and scheme aren't my cup of tea, but considering I drive a boat thats orange and brown glitter, I'm not one to talk. I should add that anybody that can pull off a paintjob that nice deserves some kudos.

HOSS
12-19-2003, 05:15 PM
I`m all 4 dare to be different. Can appeciate the craftsmanship but Flamingo shit on it? What gives? Mushrooms?

TRIMDOG
12-20-2003, 06:09 PM
My kids were looking through the mag as they always do and my 7 year old brought it over to my wife and said, "mom, look at this cool boat and truck with a GO-GURT paint job on 'em ". That's the first time I looked at them, and they're definitly unique.

FILTHYSLICK
12-21-2003, 09:53 AM
:confused: :confused: :confused: One can only wonder.

Mohavekid
12-21-2003, 10:37 AM
I am not a big fan of the paint on the boat, the truck looks much better.
I dig the matching truck/boat theme and I admire the work put in to create his ideal boat.
I wish I had the time, money and talent to do something similar.