PDA

View Full Version : PANTHER JET owners please read!

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
12-17-2003, 08:14 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31270&item=2449229847
Is this the diverter you guys use? it looks like a berk!

blown428fe
12-17-2003, 08:31 PM
Thats definently a place diverter made by Place Diverter

Heatseeker
12-17-2003, 08:35 PM
I'd sure like to get a hold of the trailer rims!

sidewound
12-17-2003, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Heatseeker
I'd sure like to get a hold of the trailer rims!
I'm with ya there Brutha!
Nice buy it now price. hee hee hee

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
12-17-2003, 09:26 PM
Is that a conversion for panther? How is it done? i am curious even though I dont own a panther.

Cas
12-17-2003, 10:19 PM
there's a couple of people cutting off the back of a Panther and adding the flange. It'll then accept the jg tail piece so a Place Diverter can be added. I've heard more bad than good on it's performance.

pops1
12-18-2003, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by Cas
there's a couple of people cutting off the back of a Panther and adding the flange. It'll then accept the jg tail piece so a Place Diverter can be added. I've heard more bad than good on it's performance. Panther is a AXIAL flow pump. Axial flows do not take well to "PRESSURE AT ALL" Installing a Diverter on one should hurt it-If you look at the original nozzle system I would think it has fairly open tolerances on restrictions and leaks, where as a Pressure Nozzle like diverter has close tolerance.
May be not! Dave

Cas
12-18-2003, 07:27 PM
Dave,
You're right and that's the exact reason why it usually doesn't work. When pressure is built to high, performance usually goes down in the Panther.

Bow Tie Omega
12-19-2003, 02:45 PM
Probably an ADM job. Changing the thrust chamber/nozzle dimensions on a Panther does affect performance from what I have learned. That is why people complain after hacking off their Panther nozzles and adding berk nozzles to them. Panthers "diverter" is actually placed in the thrust chamber/nozzle, aft of the impeller, thus impeding valuable thrust.

Cas
12-19-2003, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Bow Tie Omega
Panthers "diverter" is actually placed in the thrust chamber/nozzle, aft of the impeller, thus impeding valuable thrust.
If that's the case, explain to me the increase of speed I got after installing the Panther Diverter?

Bow Tie Omega
12-19-2003, 08:21 PM
Well CAS, did you have any other work done to your pump, besides the diverter ( rebuild), how about any work done to your motor, maybe a poorly shaped boat bottom that was begging for a trim nozzle of some sort. Any of the above could explain your increase in speed. If no to all of the above, you are the first in a group of several people I have talked to who have had Panthers square tube placed in the nozzle of the pump (aka the diverter) and have had an increase in speed as a result. I would like you to explain to me how a square tube that deflects flowing thrust within the thrust chamber (Nozzle) would increase speed, besides for the exceptions listed above. I have actually designed a diverter for a Panther Pump that I hope to be selling no later then this summer, which takes the thrust and simply redirects it at the end of the nozzle, and it does not leak out of the sides, without the $800.00 price tag that you paid for that ingenious design.

Cas
12-19-2003, 10:54 PM
First off BTO, I didn't have pay for that ingenious design.
Second, it doesn't block any kind of thrust and believe me, I was in agreement with you until I got one.
Third, it is no to all the above.
You've been talking about that diverter of yours for 6 or 8 months now. I've said to you numerous times I'd like to see it, was even wanting to buy one. You acted then like everyone was out to steal your design, or is it your Dad's? Can't remember. Anyway, I won't hold my breath for it. I think I even offered up this Panther droop to you to see if your gizmo would work...again, can't remember. Oh well, getting too old :D

Bow Tie Omega
12-20-2003, 07:17 AM
First of all CAS, if you were paying any attention to any of my posts you would of known that I hit a little snag with the diverter.....like no boat to test it with. My boat was at Havasu Barneys getting a new Gel Coat, it took a little longer then I thought (9 months). Second of all, I did have several offers from other Panther owners to donate their boats for testing purposes. Quite frankly, I did not want to start milling holes in peoples pumps for what may have been a faulty design. Third of all, I have been talking about that diverter for a year now, but without a boat, it is a little hard to test. I never said that my design was better, but the input I have from a couple of engineers says it is. So, you just go ahead and keep talking and pretending that your boat is going faster (that is called wishful thinking by the way) with that square tube in your nozzle while I actively try to improve on what few options Panther owners have. Do you have any proof that your boat sped up by the way, GPS before and after...etc etc. I will bet I know the answer to that one. And my "so secret" design, I am not building this to get rich, I am building it so other jet boaters can have a Real Diverter, when you see the price of it, you will see that I am just trying to pay for the supplies and time in building. So much for you bieng a "laid back boater".

Cas
12-20-2003, 09:28 AM
aw contrar young whipper snapper, it was gps'd at 59.4 before and 61.8 after but the beggist thing about it was how much it improved the ride. Pretty much exactly what a diverter is designed to do. Ya know, change the attitude of the boat in different water conditions.
In regards to not having a boat, you surely could have used one of mine or even one of the extra pumps or Stator Housings I had. Do you remember the conversations about the droop and the intakes?
In any case, your boat came out looking real good!

Cas
12-20-2003, 09:53 AM
Oh yeah, a couple of other things. I also made it lose 6 mph by putting the diverter all the way down. That ought to give an indication to people that have too much boat in the water how much effect there is.
I wonder what gains I'd get by taking the 3/16ths hook out?
Did you ever see the Panther Forum I set up?

Bow Tie Omega
12-20-2003, 11:06 AM
If you would have offered an extra pump or stator, I would have been more then happy to have taken you up on it, but if I remember correctly you offered the use of your pump, which was actually very generous of you, extra stators were not brought up as I would have jumped all over an extra stator or two laying around, them bieng $400.00 dollars and all from Panther. I have an extra stator now. The boat should be done in the next 2-3 months. I think it is not selfish of me to want to test my diverter first. Maybe I will send you one up to compare with yours this spring. Like I said, if you really noticed a speed increase in your boat, you are the first that I have talked to anyways, but even you should be able to admit that if you did not have a "tube within a tube" impeding produced thrust that you would probably see even more of an mph increase to compensate for that hook in your boat bottom, which was my original argument by the way. Thanks for the compliments on the boat by the way

Cas
12-20-2003, 11:22 AM
There really isn't a tube within a tube. The nozzle is machined out to except the new 4" id "diverter". Actually, there's a lot more machining to the nozzle area than I thought there would be.
As far as speed goes, I haven't GPS'd it since I made a couple of more minor mods to it that seem to have let the boat loosen up a bit more. What I noticed was the top side of the nozzle was protruding into the top side of the thrust. After I filed that away a little more, the roost got quite a bit higher and longer. That was all done using the 19' boat....no idea what would happen in the 21' boat and probably won't ever find out. It's going on the "for sale" block right after the first.