PDA

View Full Version : No-Go On Earmshar's DiMarco

LakesOnly
12-17-2003, 08:45 PM
Well the search for a v-drive continues...
After driving long hours to Medford Oregon with honest intentions of buying the boat mentioned in other threads in the V-Drive forums, I must say that I was disappointed.
The DiMarco has an impressive history and the hull is for the most part solid, but has received several impacts and substandard repairs since leaving Earmshar's hands 17 years ago.
Further, I speculate that the photos uploaded with the ad are not very recent. Additionally, what is not mentioned in the ad (but that the seller stated to me) is that the boat has been sitting idle for at least five years, and it shows in several places:
~~To begin with, the upholstry is brittle and ready to come apart, and this includes the uphostrly on the trailer--which, by the way, has dry-rotted wood and bunks that are duct taped to the trailer frame. I would not feel comforable heating up those old tires and having them fly apart halfway home. Etcetera.
~~The hull is generally in acceptable shape but also requires some attention. During a river-race, the current owner lost power somehow and drifted into a bridge pillar in the river and left some notable damage at the tip of the bow, the left side of the bow and the rear starboard. Modest repairs have been performed and only primered. The impact resulted in some stress cracking. The boat was rigged with good hardware.
In my opiniion, take away the nostalgic history of this boat and what's left is not worth what is being asked for it. I feel that the seller is banking on the history of the boat and not the actual value.
The ad states, "just add some power and go." Well....that's somewhat subjective...I feel it needs to be gone through before being run.
I spoke for some time with Mr. Don Earmsar before finally deciding to make the long trek up the west coast to inspect his former boat, so maybe I was expecting something better kept over the years. And he want's to know if I picked it up. Now I am left with the hard job bringing the news to Mr. Earmshar that his former hull was not worth what was being asked.
I WALKED. :(
LO
p.s. This may make somebody a great boat...I just wanted to state my observations and findings in case someone else is thinking of making the trip up there.

superdave013
12-17-2003, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the info. I was trying to scrape up the cash to beat you to it. Well, you beat me and saved me a long drive.

Infomaniac
12-17-2003, 09:36 PM
Yep thanks for the info.
I have no intention of buying it but that is one benefit of these discussion forums. Sharing info.
The Di Marco that I bought in Sacremento was one of the nicest boats I have seen. V-drive Tom knows the boat.
I sold it to a guy in Chicago which was unfortunate for the boat. he was amazed it did not have reverse when I took him for the test ride.

396_Z
12-17-2003, 10:56 PM
I'm wondering what, if anything, Marc (Boatguy222) knows about that hull.
BTW, last time I was at his place which was june he had a sanger in there painted by BillyB (paint job #2 IIRC) that was available for 3K.
Be shrewed when you buy, I didn't and got the short end of the deal. I knew nothing about what I was looking at so it's turned into a labor of love for me. I'm not complaining but buying something thats turned into a total restoration wasn't my intention.

LakesOnly
12-18-2003, 12:57 AM
Just got home from my last leg of the trip and am in front of my own computer.
Thanks sanger-mike for putting me up overnight on the way there.
Another note: The boat could use a paint job...
Don Earmshar expressed to me that this boat is one of his favorite boats of all he's ever owned. He ran if for four years straight, three of which he was on top all the time. He drove it to 152 mph (no capsule). He won the Texas Shootout in 1982 in it during its very first time out. Maybe I was expecting to see this boat in all its glory...not the case...
I'll be speaking to him again probably tomorrow.
LO

LakesOnly
12-18-2003, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by Infomaniac
Yep thanks for the info....that is one benefit of these discussion forums. Sharing info.
Thanks Info, this is indeed an open discussion forum and that is why I am posting. I have received a tremendous amount of help and insight from these forums; just giving back...
LO

cdnguitarsnboats
12-18-2003, 05:19 AM
Thanks Lakes,
It's great when someone provides detailed info as you did in your post.
I wasn't really thinking about that boat, but I was definately admiring it from afar.
I'd like to think this is an open discussion forum, but you should have seen the nasty PM's I ended up getting when I opined on the rainbow-coloured Cole that keeps showing up all over the place. Between blustering about how much money he made and his threat to sue me over the whole thing, I ended up deleting my posts just to get rid of the guy.
That being said, thanks for your efforts to inform the group.
Jim
Note to SD - two boat projects will take you four times as long to finish as one project will. It's exponential, don't ya know?

superdave013
12-18-2003, 05:49 AM
Originally posted by cdnguitarsnboats
Note to SD - two boat projects will take you four times as long to finish as one project will. It's exponential, don't ya know?
lol, oh I know. The ad said drop in power and go. I just happen to have a complete blown injected BBC just sitting and ready to go. I would have put that in for now.
Then I would have started looking for the hemi stuff to get back like was.
I only wanted it if I could get it back pretty close to how Don had it.
Had no plans to race it. Just take it out to the v drive events 3 or 4 times a year.
I've been a fan of the Don and Jim longer then I've lived in CA.
But yes, if it's even close to needing restore. I'll have to pass.

cdnguitarsnboats
12-18-2003, 08:06 AM
I just happen to have a complete blown injected BBC just sitting and ready to go. I would have put that in for now.
I like that - the blown and injected BBC is your "make do" motor. Cry me a river.
I hear you, though. I don't know a great deal about drag racing, but it's a real shame when people let choice pieces of history like that slide.
J

Scarlotti
12-18-2003, 09:35 AM
that sucks about this old terd,,,

Scarlotti
12-18-2003, 09:36 AM
hopefully the weahter was nice in ORegon though.
We scarlotti's hail from there (via Mexico)

superdave013
12-18-2003, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by cdnguitarsnboats
I like that - the blown and injected BBC is your "make do" motor. Cry me a river.
I hear you, though. I don't know a great deal about drag racing, but it's a real shame when people let choice pieces of history like that slide.
J
A wise man once told me that after I got marred that I should not sell hard to replace toys. So I sold the boat less engine as I knew it would be hard to justify building another one.
The wife likes the turbo engine because it's quite and does not require a primmer bottle. So the station wagon boat is getting the turbo deal.
I've had my eye open for the right flat to replace my old one. I'm in no hurry and will nab one someday. Having the engine puts me a little ahead in the game as that's the major expense it seems.
It's a kick ass engine but if I would have gotten Don's old boat I'ed want to put it back like it was with MOPAR power.
Some other guy has one of the early Ivroy Hunters and takes it to the v drive events. How cool would it have been to see the Illusions boat parked right next to it.

Sangerboy
12-18-2003, 12:46 PM
LO I think you made a good call. It's a long way to go to come back empty handed but considering the shape you found it in I think your offer was more than fair. Keep looking they're out there.

Sangerboy
12-18-2003, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by superdave013
It's a kick ass engine but if I would have gotten Don's old boat I'ed want to put it back like it was with MOPAR power.
Some other guy has one of the early Ivroy Hunters and takes it to the v drive events. How cool would it have been to see the Illusions boat parked right next to it.
SD funny you should mention that as I've been working on that for a bit. I've been keeping an eye out for Ivory Hunters sibling, the Sanger Illusion with the teenage boy's fantasy mural on the deck. I talked to Don a bit ago and he was going to find some old pictures and get the CF numbers for me to try and trace it. He sold it many years ago and said he saw it sitting in a used car lot in Fontana about 3 years after he sold it. I think he loved all his boats he remembered that he had run 129 in the Sanger with a 427. BTW I remember him running the pinch heads and the Arias program but I must have missed the Mopar time.

superdave013
12-18-2003, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Sangerboy
SD funny you should mention that as I've been working on that for a bit. I've been keeping an eye out for Ivory Hunters sibling, the Sanger Illusion with the teenage boy's fantasy mural on the deck. I talked to Don a bit ago and he was going to find some old pictures and get the CF numbers for me to try and trace it. He sold it many years ago and said he saw it sitting in a used car lot in Fontana about 3 years after he sold it. I think he loved all his boats he remembered that he had run 129 in the Sanger with a 427. BTW I remember him running the pinch heads and the Arias program but I must have missed the Mopar time.
You're correct. It was an Arias.

LakesOnly
12-18-2003, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Sangerboy
LO I think you made a good call. It's a long way to go to come back empty handed but considering the shape you found it in I think your offer was more than fair. Keep looking they're out there.
I think my offer was very fair to both parties.
The drive was way longer than expected but it was quite scenic.
I am patient and will wait for the right deal to come along...waited nine months for my last boat purchase. I even came off the boat storage waiting list and secured and paid for storage for five of those months that I was searching.
Already have my eye on another.
LO

Hud
12-18-2003, 04:08 PM
LakesOnly, I wasn't thinking, you could have took a look at Gary's Cole TR2 while you were up this way! Wow, sorry!

FlatRat
12-18-2003, 05:37 PM
LO,
good thinking.I,myself didn't use my head so well.I drove to Socal from Montana to buy a Sanger Hydro.Was told it was solid!B.S.I'm now in the middle of a total resto.I'll finish it and it will be nice,just alot of f@#*kin' around.Don't buy something you'll regret.My wife is still chewin' my ass.I drink more now.

FLYTE RISK
12-18-2003, 06:01 PM
Wow sounds somethin like a mail order bride........ To bad you could not have tried her out prior to leavin !!!!!! LOL:yuk: :yuk: :D :D

boatguy222
12-18-2003, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by 396_Z
I'm wondering what, if anything, Marc (Boatguy222) knows about that hull.
BTW, last time I was at his place which was june he had a sanger in there painted by BillyB (paint job #2 IIRC) that was available for 3K.
Be shrewed when you buy, I didn't and got the short end of the deal. I knew nothing about what I was looking at so it's turned into a labor of love for me. I'm not complaining but buying something thats turned into a total restoration wasn't my intention.
I didn't know that boat was around, but if you SoCal guys (Or anyone else) find something up here (In Oregon) you need an objective opinion, let me know. I will go look if I can, Maybe I can save someone a little time and money. Just Trying to help a fellow V-driver out!
Marc