PDA

View Full Version : Braided Hoses

Focker
03-24-2006, 09:54 PM
What Is The Advantage Of Braided Hoses Vs Rubber Hoses Other Than The Look.
How Do You Attach A Braided Hose - Where A Rubber Hose Is Clamped On?
Where Do U Buy Braided Hoses?
Thanks

Moneypitt
03-24-2006, 10:20 PM
Usually the steel braided stuff is of a better quality, impervious to most fluids, looks nicer, lasts longer, (usually), and shows everyone that you spare no expense to make your stuff look nice!! Now as far as attaching to hose barbs,(a complete waste of good hose, IMO) there are collars that you put a hose clamp inside of and the screw part is the only part of the clamp that shows. They work ok, but to really gain the benefits of the braided hose you need to take out a loan/ 2nd mortage/ or come up with a bunch of cash and buy the correct fittings for the hoses you intend to use. This is the correct way. This way, will pay for it's self in longivity, which I've seen last for years and years. Hoses on the same boat for over 15 years and still going strong, (and NO they are not the ones used for fuel) mainly water lines. (The fuel were replaced a couple of years ago, just because they have fuel in them, and fuel does create fires). There are a few guys here on the boards that can hook you up with all the bling fittings in all sorts of bitchen colors, straights, angles, elbows etc. and the SS hose to go with them. Because of the expense, I suggest you plan your change over carefully and buy the right stuff the first time. You will also need the pipe thread to AN thread adaptors to complete the job, but they also come in bitchen colors. Gofastracer, and Superdave are 2 names that come to mind that stock and sell what you need, and I'm sure there are others here on the boards. I would not try to do it thru a retail outlet, cause they won't even kiss you as they screw you. I just replaced a #12 hose to f/male, elbow, 1 fitting, $34.00........so use the guys here for the deals..........MP

Captain Assin' Off
03-24-2006, 10:20 PM
The advantage of braided hoses is the standard W.P. ( Working Pressure) You get a higher rate on a braided hose than a rubber hose. The way you attach to the manifold, or other component is via an adapter. The standard for braided hoses is AN, ( Army-Navy) thread size, similar to SAE/JIC, but not exact, so you'll need Pipe-AN adapters. Thread the pipe size into your coresponding pipe hole, and your hose size of choice. Looks are an added bonus, but there are braided hoses in other than stainless available for covered engines, if you prefer. Bulk is available from such retailers as Summit, or others, and the hose size is as followes: -4=1/4, -6=3/8", -8=1/2", and so on in the range, -16=1" Size accordingly, run braided, for reliability, stainless for a bonus for the show, have a hose cutter nearby, or a hacksaw w/ tape (ick!) and be safe!

Moneypitt
03-24-2006, 10:28 PM
First get a box of bandaids, as the little whiskers will make you bleed. The best way I've seen to cut the stuff is to duct tape where you want to cut and use a chop saw/abrasive blade thru the tape. This keeps both ends nice. Again, watch out for the whiskers, they hurt. And he is right about working pressure, that is why the stuff is required in aircraft systems.........MP

Captain Assin' Off
03-24-2006, 10:36 PM
That Money Pitt says is Spot On. I just happen to have been given a commercial hose cutter from work (SCORE!) and so I'm personally spoiled. Enjoy your duct tape and hacksaw! I'd cut for you, but I live in Seattle. :cry:

Squeezing Spectra
03-24-2006, 10:39 PM
I thought it was all about the Bling Bling ? :rolleyes:

WUTWZAT
03-24-2006, 10:42 PM
I thought it was all about the Bling Bling ? :rolleyes:
Don't you mean BLING BLONG short bus pilot? :crossx:

JAY4SPEED
03-24-2006, 11:18 PM
Steel braided line has many benefits like mentioned above. However one thing I've experienced with steel braided line is to make sure its secure and does not move around and rub on anything. The steel braid can act like a saw if left laying in contact with aluminum or fiberglass and there is enough vibration present. I happened to notice a hole in my valve cover on the race car from a steel braided line a few years ago. There is Nylon braided line available (Earl's performance plumbing Pro-Lite hose), but that's even more expensive than steel braided line but is much lighter weight and won't saw through items it comes in contact with. I was going to look into that as an alternative for the boat.
Jay

Focker
03-24-2006, 11:25 PM
Thanks Guys
I Have Quite A Project A Head Of Me

superdave013
03-25-2006, 01:37 AM
Steel braided line has many benefits like mentioned above. However one thing I've experienced with steel braided line is to make sure its secure and does not move around and rub on anything. The steel braid can act like a saw if left laying in contact with aluminum or fiberglass and there is enough vibration present.
Jay
ding ding ding, that is a great point.

olbiezer
03-25-2006, 06:16 AM
superdave is the man to get your hose fittings from check out his web sight

garret
03-25-2006, 06:36 AM
First get a box of bandaids, as the little whiskers will make you bleed. The best way I've seen to cut the stuff is to duct tape where you want to cut and use a chop saw/abrasive blade thru the tape. This keeps both ends nice. Again, watch out for the whiskers, they hurt. And he is right about working pressure, that is why the stuff is required in aircraft systems.........MP
Found a better and faster way! No taping required and no expensive saws!
All you need is a $15 cold cut chisel, a 2pound sledge (and if you own a boat you have a hammer), and a 1/4" thick piece of steel. Mark your line of where you want your cut, lay the line on the steel, take the cold cut chisel place it on the line, take the hammer and give it a good whack!(may take a couple of hits on the bigger line) If you have any questions you can give me a ring and I will explain it a little better (909) 618-5666 Chris

revndave
03-25-2006, 07:03 AM
Found a better and faster way! No taping required and no expensive saws!
All you need is a $15 cold cut chisel, a 2pound sledge (and if you own a boat you have a hammer), and a 1/4" thick piece of steel. Mark your line of where you want your cut, lay the line on the steel, take the cold cut chisel place it on the line, take the hammer and give it a good whack!(may take a couple of hits on the bigger line) If you have any questions you can give me a ring and I will explain it a little better (909) 618-5666 Chris
I make my hoses the same way.Did some yesterday and have some more to make today.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/686100_0856.JPG

wet77
03-25-2006, 07:54 AM
Yes braided is nice I have it on my boat, and just bought a oil pan drain line yesterday. $80 for 3 feet of hose 1 striaght end, one plug, and a 90 swivel out of the pan. :220v:
One thing to watch out for besides the rubbing on things s dont EVER let any of it come in contact with the battery or alt. terminals :220v: :220v:
Main reason I bought it was I had the T under the engine from the pump come off and almost sink my boat :skull:

old rigger
03-25-2006, 08:12 AM
First get a box of bandaids, as the little whiskers will make you bleed. Again, watch out for the whiskers, they hurt. ..MP
I remember the first time I used braided hose. I was on my old VW when I was a kid and I was adding a oil filter. Looked like I'd stuck my hand down a running garbage disposal by the time I was finished installing just 4 ends on the 2 lines.
Superdave always has some very nice hardware at the Long Beach swap meet every month... and a usually a good size line of people waiting to buy his stuff.

old rigger
03-25-2006, 08:14 AM
(and if you own a boat you have a hammer)
lol. that's a good line.

LynnsJet
03-25-2006, 04:46 PM
I have been making up lines on my race cars for 20 years. I put a cut off wheel in my power miter box. Using some tape, cut slow and come up with a nice cut. Don't take the tape off when you put the fittings together. The special aluminum jaws for your vice keep the fitting looking nice. One last tip: use silicone (not WD-40) to lube the pieces going back together. BUT keep the silicone away from everything else in you shop because you will never get paint to stick to anything after you get silicone on it.
Good luck. It is definitely worth the trouble.
L J

502 JET
03-25-2006, 05:46 PM
When setting out to purchase your new hoses and fittings start by drawing a diagram of the different systems you are going to replace.Make a list of parts needed this way you will have all the fittings and adapters and hose you will need to complete the job.Make shure you clean out the hoses after cutting and assembling them.The cutoff wheel method leaves alot of junk in the hose and you dont want to pump thru your fuel system.

Sleek-Jet
03-25-2006, 06:23 PM
I have been making up lines on my race cars for 20 years. I put a cut off wheel in my power miter box. Using some tape, cut slow and come up with a nice cut. Don't take the tape off when you put the fittings together. The special aluminum jaws for your vice keep the fitting looking nice. One last tip: use silicone (not WD-40) to lube the pieces going back together. BUT keep the silicone away from everything else in you shop because you will never get paint to stick to anything after you get silicone on it.
Good luck. It is definitely worth the trouble.
L J
Ditto.... no bloody fingers.
The reason steal braided lines came about (way back when) was higher hose pressure and abbrasion resistance. But who gives a crap... it looks cool. :D

LynnsJet
03-25-2006, 06:57 PM
502 Jet, thanks for the mentioning the fact that the cutoff wheel puts a lot of junk in the hoses. I am so used to cleaning the dirt out before I use the hoses that I forgot to mention it.
L J

superdave013
03-26-2006, 08:58 AM
I cut the hose with a big pair of snips. 502jet gave ood advice on maping things out too. Sometimes that is the hardest part. I know when I do a home plumbing project I make more then a few trips to home depot.
I know I'm kinda far but I would be willing to set some time aside if you would want to bring your project down. That way we could map it all out. It makes it easier if you are close to the parts bins. That way you can try different combinations of hose ends and adapters to come up with the most sano routing.
I'll also show you how I put the hose ends together. I do it all day every day and don't get cut by the hose.

Wicked Performance Boats
03-26-2006, 09:07 AM
I cut the hose with a big pair of snips. 502jet gave ood advice on maping things out too. Sometimes that is the hardest part. I know when I do a home plumbing project I make more then a few trips to home depot.
I know I'm kinda far but I would be willing to set some time aside if you would want to bring your project down. That way we could map it all out. It makes it easier if you are close to the parts bins. That way you can try different combinations of hose ends and adapters to come up with the most sano routing.
I'll also show you how I put the hose ends together. I do it all day every day and don't get cut by the hose.
Superdave, I clicked on this [Sweet Performance Products, S.S. Braided Hose /AN Fittings] and it doesn't work. Budlight

superdave013
03-26-2006, 11:54 AM
thanks for the heads up. server must be down or something.