PDA

View Full Version : Solvang

LaveyJet
12-19-2003, 09:48 AM
Looking to spend a couple days in Solvang over the Holidays, any recommendations on lodging? Looking at travelers recommendations on Travelocity, there's some good and some not so good.

75_Elim
12-19-2003, 10:03 AM
Call Miller19 !! He lives in Solvange.... and has plenty of room and a great view of the vineyards :D :D
You'll need to troll the Sandbar to find him or the Mrs !!

68campbell
12-19-2003, 12:20 PM
What do you want to know, I live here. check out my website for new years party.

MJ19
12-20-2003, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by 75_Elim
Call Miller19 !! He lives in Solvange.... and has plenty of room and a great view of the vineyards :D :D
You'll need to troll the Sandbar to find him or the Mrs !!
What's this Jerry, are you brokering our house out now? :eek: ;)
Seriously if you need any info, I'd be happy to give you hotel info or 'what to do' info if you need suggestions...just send me a PM.

Kilrtoy
12-20-2003, 02:47 PM
Solvang,
Why not Downtown Barstow
or San Ysidro.
those are nice places too..

1Bahnerjet
12-20-2003, 05:07 PM
Kiltroy,
I know Solvang and San Ysidro is no Solvang.
;)

MJ19
12-20-2003, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by 1Bahnerjet
Kiltroy,
I know Solvang and San Ysidro is no Solvang.
;)
Ditto...and it's no Barstow either :rolleyes:

Duck
12-20-2003, 10:15 PM
There is a pancake house on the main drag that has Danish sausage that is pure heaven.

Outnumbered
12-20-2003, 11:10 PM
Been there once and its nicer than Barstow for sure. But its a chick place if you ask me. Lots of shops, bakeries, etc and not much for the guys to do except eat. I would try to ditch the gals and go play a round of golf. There is a course out by the base that is pretty reasonable and a couple of the holes overlook the ocean (distant view). Can't remember what its called. The locals probably know.
OL

Kilrtoy
12-21-2003, 02:16 AM
Ok
Im joking, Like shit, catch a clue.
Ingeborg's chocolates are the shit.
I miss them.
But why would anyone travel so far as to go to SOLVANG.:confused:

Rexone
12-21-2003, 06:03 AM
Originally posted by Kilrtoy
I hear they got kick ass pig hunting right from the front porch.

MJ19
12-21-2003, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Duck
There is a pancake house on the main drag that has Danish sausage that is pure heaven.
"Paula's Pancake House" (I go there most weekends for a Danish Omlet...it's got that sausage in there...Yummmm!) :D
Originally posted by Old Lavey
Been there once and its nicer than Barstow for sure. But its a chick place if you ask me. Lots of shops, bakeries, etc and not much for the guys to do except eat. I would try to ditch the gals and go play a round of golf. There is a course out by the base that is pretty reasonable and a couple of the holes overlook the ocean (distant view). Can't remember what its called. The locals probably know.
OL
The golf course you're referring to is "La Purisima" we have quite a few good courses out this way: Alisal Private Course (If you're staying at their resort you can golf there) & The Alisal River Course (for the public), San Marcos Course, La Pursimia Course, and if you want to make a 30 min trek to SB you can golf San Piper and a few others I'm not totally familiar of.
Solvang is a lot of shopping, eatting and walking around...but if you like wine there are some killer wineries out this way and really tasty resturants...if you're looking for romancing the woman in your life, it's a great place to visit :)
Originally posted by Rexone
Miller says you can come on up and shoot a pig if our grandchildren can be added to the catalog list. :p ;)

Outnumbered
12-21-2003, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Kilrtoy
Ok
Im joking, Like shit, catch a clue.
Ingeborg's chocolates are the shit.
I miss them.
Do you think we ever take you seriously Kilrtoy?:D :confused: :D
OL

MJ19
12-22-2003, 08:43 AM
In hind sight...you might be talking about the country club golf course in Vandenburg Village. It's closer to the beach then La Purisima Course.

68campbell
12-22-2003, 08:45 AM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Rexone
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Miller says you can come on up and shoot a pig if our grandchildren can be added to the catalog list.
Thats funny

1Bahnerjet
12-22-2003, 09:24 AM
MJ 19,
Are the Beaches around Vandenburg all Closed? Is the nearest one Pismo? Can you still go to Jalama ?

MJ19
12-22-2003, 10:59 AM
MJ 19,
Are the Beaches around Vandenburg all Closed? Is the nearest one Pismo? Can you still go to Jalama ?
I think some of the beaches around the base might be closed, but Jalama should be open. Last time I was at Jalama I had a sever surfing crash and haven't been too fond of the 'rip tides' that can happen out that way. In fact, I grew up on the beach and was a TOTAL water baby until that crash...now I prefer the lakes over the beaches, don't get me wrong I still enjoy spending time at the beach. I'll forever have salt water in my blood.
Pismo is not the closest to Solvang, we have the whole coast line up from Santa Barbara...like Tejigis (sp?), Refugio, El Cap, Poison Oak Point, Ofrare, the nudie beach near Ofrare, and all the stop-along-the-way beaches inbetween those listed :D

MJ19
12-22-2003, 11:01 AM
oops double post

1Bahnerjet
12-22-2003, 12:37 PM
MJ19,
Is the Ranch still a Boat-in Spot or is it Open now? Just relivin' my Surfin' Day's (mid 60's- 70's) :D

Kilrtoy
12-22-2003, 12:43 PM
Do you think we ever take you seriously Kilrtoy?
Sometimes I wonder:confused:

68campbell
12-22-2003, 04:11 PM
The ranch is still boat in!
The state beaches are to the south are closer than Jalama or most any other in lompoc.

MJ19
12-23-2003, 04:48 PM
MJ19,
Is the Ranch still a Boat-in Spot or is it Open now? Just relivin' my Surfin' Day's (mid 60's- 70's) :D
Boat in...or you can do what a couple of our friends have done and get a big group of surfers together to buy a hunk of land out there ;)
Does the sound of a "Jalama Burger" make your mouth water? :cool:

NashvilleBound
12-23-2003, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by MJ19
Boat in...or you can do what a couple of our friends have done and get a big group of surfers together to buy a hunk of land out there ;)
Does the sound of a "Jalama Burger" make your mouth water? :cool:
It does mine and I have no idea what it is:rolleyes:
So its not just all rubble up there?
Glad you guys are ok....

MJ19
12-24-2003, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by NashvilleBound
It does mine and I have no idea what it is:rolleyes:
So its not just all rubble up there?
Glad you guys are ok....
No rubble here...except maybe "Barney Rubble" (ha, ha...okay lame but had to say it for some reason? :rolleyes: )
Everything in Solvang is great...no quake damage here...one of my dogs considered getting up from his nap for the earthquake :cool:

1Bahnerjet
12-25-2003, 02:19 PM
Don't know "Jalama Burger", only Split pea Anderson ;)

schiada96
12-26-2003, 01:09 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by MJ19
[B]"Paula's Pancake House" (I go there most weekends for a Danish Omlet...it's got that sausage in there...Yummmm!) :D
The sand piper, poor mans Pebble Beach played there alot in the early 80's

MJ19
12-26-2003, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by schiada96
The sand piper, poor mans Pebble Beach played there alot in the early 80's [/B]
Grew up on Sand Piper doing "grunt work" for my dad...he somehow convinced me that being his caddy was a fun thing to do...all that work for my 'shirley temple' on the 19th hole :rolleyes:
Don't know "Jalama Burger", only Split pea Anderson ;)
Well IMHO the "Jalama Burger" has the "Bowl of Green Stuff" beat by a mile...but I'm not a big Pea Soup Fan. :D