PDA

View Full Version : New Diverter

bout tyme
12-19-2003, 02:00 PM
I'm going to be ordering a place diverter and have several questions. Is hyd the way to go? It sure looks cool and the gauge would be nice. This is the time to add a snoot. It puts the nozzle deeper in the water. Thats a good thing right? But, do I really need one w/ a 21' mini day stock motor used to wake board? I carry alot of weight in the boat. I would like more top end for going from point a to b. The factory nozzle has a shim infront of it angled down at an unk degree. W/ a diverter is this needed?
*Most importantly REX has the best prices rigt?
Thanks for the help. I read all the advise on this board often. I dont post often because i was a helicoper mech and dont have much to offer but thnkss for all of the advise.

MudPumper
12-19-2003, 04:22 PM
I got mine from CP Performance. They sell it in Kit form for a reasonable price, everything you will need. Hydrolic is nice, but it is also way more expensive. Also hydrolic has more components to fail. I went with Manual for those reasons and I am glad. I find that I can set the boat where I want it with the manual better. It has 7 positions and depending on which one it is in I always know exactly how the boat will be trimmed. They advertise that the hydrolic has more adjustablilty but what are the chances that you can find the exact adjustment that you like over and over??? Just my .02. As far as a droop, every boat will react differently to the droop. Try it and see. The diverter and droop is farely easy to install. You can always try one and then see how the other works later. You can probably get rid of the shim with the diverter but may need one if you add the droop. Your boat will deffinately benefit from the diverter and probably from the droop also. There is only one way to find out. Hope this helps some. Good luck.

ChetCapoli
12-19-2003, 08:01 PM
The aggressor diverter is your best bet, is ALOT cheaper and has all the "options"(steering button, rudder, FTN nozzle, better hydraulic pump that doesnt stick) place has as standard equipment. Nicer to boot!
Too bad CP and Rex doesnt sell them. I see old rex decided the "match price at the ol swapmeet" attitude is the way to go. Interesting how attitudes change.....
CHET

77charger
12-19-2003, 08:21 PM
I had a manual one on my old boat with the floor control.Paid like 650 for the place diverter,rudder and cable got the floor control free from rtjas :D .I passed on the hydraulic due to price,the hassle to install and its just another electrical device that can go wrong.
fine tune option is nice and like chet mentioned the aggressor has all that stuff already((IMO a good deal for the money)Hate to agree with chet but it sounds good:confused:

HammerDown
12-19-2003, 08:56 PM
Yea I agree...if Aggressor had there unit out several years ago...I would have bought theres:rolleyes:

screamdreambrad
12-19-2003, 11:38 PM
i agree as well. aggressor is the only way to go. if nothing else, adjustability, nozzle inserts are your best friend! smoother operation i hear. and price! go to the website. brad

bout tyme
12-20-2003, 08:24 AM
Ok, I performed a search but was not able to find any more info on Aggressor diverters? Do you have their web add. I would like to see what they offer since you guys all say they are the way to go.

Squirtcha?
12-20-2003, 09:18 AM
Aggressor Diverter (http://www.aggressorjetdrives.com/trimDiverter.shtml)
Aggressor homepage (http://www.aggressorjetdrives.com/)

Chris J
12-20-2003, 09:41 AM
I went with the hydraulic control Reasons:
One less hole in the floor and more room for cooler, life jackets, throw ring... you get the picture. Never had a problem with it. Adjusting trim is as easy as looking back at the rooster, you'll get a feel for it in no time and won't even need to look back. Don't see many cable opertated bulldozers or draglines anymore. Reason, more failed cables than failed hydraulic systems.
Just my .02

Chris J
12-20-2003, 09:46 AM
Ya I know, the real large shovels are still cable operated. But If they could make a hydraulic system that would work in them they would.

bout tyme
12-20-2003, 10:47 AM
You guys are awsome thankssss. Going w/ the hyd. The ss lines look cool. Got to have your priorities ah?

Coach
12-21-2003, 02:39 PM
I had a manual when I bought my boat, but found it difficult to adjust as the conditions changed. I tend to move the diverter up and down depending on how rough the water is. I didn't like reaching down to change it. So I opted for the hyro unit and love it. I have the SS lines and the steering wheel control. I find I can put the diverter in the right spot for speed but drop it all the way down when I hit rollers or rough water so everyone in the boat is not bouncing around. I also am throwing a much higher rooster tail now when going. Not that there is any performance gained but my cool factor went up. I am using the Place Diverter hyro unit and controls.

squirt
12-21-2003, 09:49 PM
Since you chose the hyd model you might want to look into this product for ithttp://www.banderlog.com/products/powerRelays/diverterPowerRelay/images/withLabel.jpg it will eliminate you having to run large amps up to your control switch and allows you to use your choice of switches. You can find more about it at www.banderlog.com

OkieDave
12-22-2003, 02:24 PM
I bought a boat with a hyd. control after having run manual controlled diverter for years. The hyd. broke a line and made a mess in the boat. I didn't like not knowing where the nozzle was pointed with the hyd. control. With the manual control, you learn quickly which notch to use for whatever purpose you need it for. I switched it over to manual control. much better. Also, I would not go to a smaller impeller in a large boat. you'll see an increase in rpm but not likely any speed.

Chris J
12-22-2003, 09:45 PM
Running a hydraulic diverter is like operating farm or heavy equiptment. Most people will get a feel for it in no time without having to always look at it. The only time I look back is when I'm pulling a skiier. Don't want to accidently drown them or blow their knees off.
Don't get me worng, the manual control is an affordable and effective means of controlling the diverter, but don't sell the hydraulic as unreliable or uncontrollable. It is a nice setup. As the load change in your boat the infinate positions will be worth the extra cost exspecially if you pull a skiier. Hydraulic systems are not perfect and must be maintained, but are used in all sorts of industrial application becuase of their reliablity.
I'm replaceing the cables in my boat because they are worn out. I suppose I could wait until my steering, throttle or reverse cable fails and then complain about it from my hospital bed to prove my point, but I think I'll pass.

bout tyme
12-23-2003, 07:50 AM
Squirt, thanks. I will use that relay. I have alot of stereo gear and need to keep my wires simple in the rig. It will be worth the 65 bucks