PDA

View Full Version : Hook vs. RPM

shockwaveharry
07-24-2001, 10:40 AM
If bottom hook is keeping a boat from reaching it's best speed, will it also hold RPM's down or will prop slip increase? How much of the running surface should be checked for straightness? How much is too much? Thanks in advance.

ULTRA28
07-24-2001, 11:32 AM
You should still reach rpm, your slip will increase. I don't believe the amount of hook in your boat is significant. More than 1/4 inch in 8 feet is usually too much for a 21' family bowrider. A perfectly straight bottom may cause the boat to porpoise.

shockwaveharry
07-24-2001, 05:07 PM
Your right, less than a quarter of an inch all the way down. However, I'm still wondering if a bottom blueprint would be money well spent. In other words, is the difference between an acceptable "out of the mold" bottom and one considered to be "perfect" worth 5 MPH on a 22' boat running in the high 70's? Does it make more of a difference as speed increases? Thanks again and I appreciate your input.

ULTRA28
07-24-2001, 07:30 PM
Don't bother with a blueprint, it is not going to make that big of a difference in top speed, but may make it perform poorly in the midrange.

shockwaveharry
07-25-2001, 09:21 AM
WOW! Not much improvement in top speed AND poor midrange performance? Sounds like the best of both worlds to me! I guess it's time to think seriously about some HP improvements to my 496HO. Ever feel like the Lone Ranger?