PDA

View Full Version : Jet Rebuild Kits

Ranz1
12-19-2003, 08:37 PM
Should i just get the kit from BerkleyJet.com (http://berkeleyjet.com/products/overhaul.asp) ? Or are ther better quality and priced kits out there? I need a complete rebuild/overhaul kit (minus impeller)("B" Partial Overhaul Kit from Berkeley)....... Anthony

Danhercules
12-19-2003, 09:03 PM
ME TO, ME TO!!! I am gonna do a rebuild this winter. Gotta get the ducks in line!!!!!!

Mohavekid
12-20-2003, 11:17 AM
I bought one from CP Performance, they own Berkeley.
The kit was complete and seemed to be good quality parts.

Jake W
12-20-2003, 11:52 AM
Every pump builder and pump comp offers a rebuild kit.All diffrent prices and diffrent pices.I ended up getting one from HTP with the ultimate ware ring the kit was 230 something i think I will get out my recipt later and post the corect price.It came with a shit loat of stuff alot of it I wont even use it seems to be one of the most complete kits I found. Though I sold the Ultimate ware ring with an impellor I had.I will be using a Brass ware ring that a got a smokin deal on with a brand new Berk imp 130 for both imp and ware ring are new.
I say shop around first compare price and components.
Jake:D

Jet City
12-20-2003, 04:03 PM
I would give the business to one of the many pump builders that have been supportive to us rookies on this site and others, Jack, Duane, Walt, Jim and and a few others come to mind. I should add, you will not only be assured of getting the correct parts, but expert advice as well.

shaun
12-21-2003, 02:00 AM
I'm going to be doing a rebuild as well. My parrents just gave me the boat. I've been wanting it for such a long time, so many good memories. The jet has not been rebuilt since we bought the boat from a roger way. That was like back in 90 +/- and year or 2. The jet i'm sure is in great need of a rebuild. When rebuilding the a jet this old what kind of things need to be replaced, is the rebuild difficult? can i do it my self? I have never had the jet apart before (neither has my dad i dont think). Are there any sites our there with step by step howto's on doing this job? All the info i can get would be great!

Moomawnster
12-21-2003, 03:57 AM
Shaun , don't be so sure about the jet needing rebuild . Mine ran 16 yrs with no trouble and didn't need work when I pulled it apart to get more speed . You may want to enjoy the boat awhile before you dissable it ! $$$$$$$ ............... Check out my photos in the members gallery for some Idea what your getting into ! ...................... Moo

shaun
12-21-2003, 01:07 PM
Moomawnster,
eek, Somebody told me that a rebuild on the jet should be done once a year. It's tough to tell if people really know what they are talking about. The main reason i was thinking about doing it now was because there is no motor in the boat at the moment. The boat had a 396 in it but we spun a rod bearing. My dad purchased a 454 long block for a truck he had and ended up scraping that project so now i have a 454 for it. I just figured while it was out, it'd be a good time to do that. I'll check out your pics, thanks for the info!

Foggerjet
12-21-2003, 02:51 PM
After reading this thread, I went out and slid under my trailer to look up through the intake, and I can see a few pretty good nicks in the leading edge of the impeller. Obviosly this will affect performance, but how much? While the motor is out should I send it off? or buy a new one? WTF?
Thanks
Fog

LakesOnly
12-21-2003, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Shaun
...somebody told me that a rebuild on the jet should be done once a year...
For a lake boat, that's the biggest crock of shit I've ever heard.
There are few moving parts in jet-drives and, once correctly rebuilt, can last anywhere from one hour to twenty years. Depends on whether you suck anything up into them, HP levels and other abuse, or just normal wear and tear, etc.
LO

LakesOnly
12-21-2003, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Foggerjet
...went out and slid under my trailer to look up through the intake, and I can see a few pretty good nicks in the leading edge of the impeller. Obviosly this will affect performance, but how much?
Depends how you are intending to use your boat. Most lake boats have some nicks on their impellers...that in itself is not big deal.
LO

Foggerjet
12-21-2003, 03:03 PM
LO, Thanks for the reply, My boat is just for Lake ridin', nothing Fancy. The nicks aren'nt THAT bad, but for all I know it could be terrible. I about shit when I looked in that grate, but I feel a bit better now.
Thanks
Fog

shaun
12-21-2003, 06:21 PM
We dont run the boat at lakes much, mostly at the river (blythe). I assume that the river will put more wear on the jet because the water is more shalow and more sand runs thru the system. Is my theory on this correct?

ONAROLL
12-21-2003, 07:00 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by LakesOnly
[B]For a lake boat, that's the biggest crock of shit I've ever heard.
There are few moving parts in jet-drives and, once correctly rebuilt, can last anywhere from one hour to twenty years. Depends on whether you suck anything up into them, HP levels and other abuse, or just normal wear and tear, etc.
Guys, lakesOnly is very correct and if your read between the lines ,it should read something like this, if you think your going to order a $250.00 pump kit , jerk your pump out of your boat and rebuild it to correct tolerances with little or no experience, I suggest you ask the advice of someone "in the buisness" Duane HTP etc. before attempting it. I have already screwed this pooch and it wont happen again....my .02:) :eek:

dirtman
12-21-2003, 07:02 PM
I checked the leading edge of my A impeller this fall ( 4 years old ). Decided that it was pretty dull, so I tore it out. Glad I did, because the trailing edge was about to fly apart imo.

Cs19
12-21-2003, 07:11 PM
QUOTE]
I assume that the river will put more wear on the jet because the water is more shalow and more sand runs thru the system. Is my theory on this correct? [/QUOTE]
The professional shops (hopefully) will ask where you boat (sandy or not), and what kind of boating you do,wether its river racing or pulling skiers,etc. your horsepower,and max rpms.
Your clearances and impeller cut can then be determined after that,and yes blythe is sandy and that should be taken into consideration. There are good chances you will have to have some parts machined if you want to do it the right way and have the correct clearances.I reccomend sending the impeller out for a clean up if its damaged.If your keeping the boat and you do use it, take the time to do it right, or send it to a jet-drive shop and have it done right the first time.
Good luck.

shaun
12-21-2003, 11:37 PM
cs19: I couldnt agree with you more about getting it done right.
ONAROLL: i have been chatting with Duane HTP via PM and he's been a big help. According to him i can do the kit my self and it isnt that difficult. This will be my first rebuild.
While i have the pump apart what other things should i check for/have done. How will i know if i need to send the impeller out? should it just be done or is there certian characteristics i'm looking for?
I'm sure you all can help me more when i have it apart and pics up. I plan on taking alot of pics of the hole process from unwraping the new motor to firing it up for the first time.

zooza
12-22-2003, 03:22 AM
One question ... How about special tools . Will he need something that isnt readily available at auto zone?:idea:

Hal
12-22-2003, 07:53 AM
Heres some info on the pump...
http://www.berkeleyjet.com/products/default.htm

ChetCapoli
12-22-2003, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by Jake W
I say shop around first compare price and components.
Suprised you would say that jake??? Do you? I've only seen you mention two. Seems to me your just a "sub" cheeleader. :D $230 bucks seems like alot for a rebuild kit(missing pieces) when you can buy the whole COMPLETE kit for like $375 to $400 right??
How is that DPS inducer btw?? Why didnt you go the billet route? It's nicer and cheaper. Besides,you could have gotten an extra "hot ham sanwhich" with the $$ you saved! :confused:
CHET
P.S. Shaun do yourself a favor, get the pump completely apart THEN see what you need. Your gonna kick your self if you get a kit without an impeller and it turns out you really need one. Costs just as much to have an impeller "cleaned up" as it is for a new one, so why bother??

Jake W
12-22-2003, 04:11 PM
Chet as usual you mouth is writing checks you ass cant cash.The HTP kit was a complete kit .I just chose to go a nother rout with the ware ring.
As far as the DPS I got a very good deal on it from a friend that has a jet boat shop.I was going to get the Aggressor inducer but none were avalable for a month from Aggressor.It would have cost me 25 bucks less for it.I got the inducer for a very good price dont worrie your little head about it.
It is funny when I saw your name on hear I knew it was to talk shit about my post.
Chet you are the Man your advise is so good wow I am so glad you post on hear.So how it the splash no name tunnel coming?

ChetCapoli
12-22-2003, 07:56 PM
Chet as usual you mouth is writing checks you ass cant cash.The HTP kit was a complete kit .I just chose to go a nother rout with the ware ring.
Easy there jake....i wont steal the ham sanwich on ya. :D Just stating a fact is all. Funny i looked on the HTP website and from the pic it looks like there is some stuff missing(impeller nut,keyway, transom rubber..etc.) Did you get that with yours? I hear ya on the wear ring...if i had to do it over again i would have stuck to the bronze. It doesn't take well to sand/silt and the like.
Just have to shop around and get the best deal.
.So how it the splash no name tunnel coming?
You must have failed english class huh? Sorry bud, an eliminator daytona is not a splash last i knew. Parts are definately more expensive then jets(mercruiser is insane) but hey, you need a prop to go fast in a big boat.
CHET

Jake W
12-22-2003, 08:26 PM
Chet I run transom plates so I guess, I was not concerned with the transom housing gasket .Your right ,a rebuild kit to me was with out the imp.Alot of people do not need it .I am not trying to sell shit for Duane that is why I said shop around and check parts list and price.
Sorry for my spelling and wrong placement of words but it pretty sad when you have to put some one down for that because you can not come up with any thing else .
As far as the Eliminator ,hey as long as it has the shit paper racks it will be bitchen I'm sure.
I hope this is legable enough for you.I would not want to stress out that great mind of yours.

Jet Hydro
12-22-2003, 08:36 PM
So why don`t you guy`s run the ultimate ware rings ? I know why I run them and cant figure out why you don't? I`m not picking anything here, trying to see if I can learn something new.

Jake W
12-22-2003, 08:58 PM
Please no more you guys as in referance to Chet and I.
Diffrent pump builders like diffrent things.Some pump builders say what Chet said they do not like sand.Though this does not really apply for me because I run in Lake of the Ozarkes not much sand there, just shitty ass mud.
I do not really have a reason other that I sold a Aggressor C imp with the Ultamate ware ring I got in my rebuild kit to Chets pump building buddy.
When I bought a new AB berk imp it came with a new bronze ware ring so thats what I am going to run.And bought them both for 30 bucks more than the ware ring cost by its self. I plan on buying a Aggressor A magbronze from my pump buddy when he gets a AA for his boat.That is right Chet I said Aggressor.
So why do you run the Ultamate ware ring?
Jake

Jet Hydro
12-22-2003, 09:07 PM
Jake
I run them because they can be set-up tighter than any ole bronze ware ring. You know what that means..... Better pump build!
If I do get sand or mud in there it will put more ware on the ring than the impeller. So in short it gives me a tighter pump and saves my impeller from unnecessary ware.

sidewound
12-22-2003, 09:19 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jake W
[B]Please no more you guys as in referance to Chet and I.
Diffrent pump builders like diffrent things.Some pump builders say what Chet said they do not like sand.Though this does not really apply for me because I run in Lake of the Ozarkes not much sand there, just shitty ass mud.
I do not really have a reason other that I sold a Aggressor C imp with the Ultamate ware ring I got in my rebuild kit to Chets pump building buddy.
When I bought a new AB berk imp it came with a new bronze ware ring so thats what I am going to run.And bought them both for 30 bucks more than the ware ring cost by its self. I plan on buying a Aggressor A magbronze from my pump buddy when he gets a AA for his boat.That is right Chet I said Aggressor.
You might want to reconsider the "ULTIMATE WEAR RING".
The zero clearance achieved with it I found desirable when I rebuilt my pump. I was VERY impressed with the parts, advice, and performance I achieved with the HTP kit. Duane worked with me via e-mail, Pm, and land line to walk me through the entire build. NO CHARGE!
I'm no wizzard but I happen to think he has a "Better Idea"
Just my opinioin.
My mill is 400 horse and can't overdrive this pump at all. PS it's one of the shitty 455's everyones tellin ya to shitcan.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/114100_0136-med.jpg
GOOD LUCK!
Peace Man!
:cool:
CESAR

Jake W
12-22-2003, 09:29 PM
OK I am not saying to not run the Ultmate ware ring.Yes Duane is a great guy to help you through things.So why you qoted me Sidewond is beyond me.Ther will be no rethinking in my case thanks any way.
Jet Hydro Im sold, but still going to run my ole bronze ware ring.
ONCE AGINE I AM NOT A PUMP BUILDER SO I SAY RUN WHAT EVER WARE RING YOU WANT BE IT SS BRONZE PLASTIC OR THE ULTMATE.
Jake:rolleyes:

sidewound
12-22-2003, 09:42 PM
Jake!
Only quoted you to try and give an answer as to why I run the ultimate. My advice is limited to what I have exp. with and this is one thing. Just wanted to tell you mine is a lake aplication and I got a bitch hole shot with the plastic donut. Beleive me when I pulled out my stainless ring and got this plastic thing I was wondering WTF this plastic thing was. After learning the science behind it I was sold in spite of my aprehension.
IT'S ALL GOOD BRO!
Peace Man!:cool:
CESAR

ChetCapoli
12-23-2003, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by sidewound
[QUOTE]You might want to reconsider the "ULTIMATE WEAR RING".
The zero clearance achieved with it I found desirable when I rebuilt my pump. I was VERY impressed with the parts, advice, and performance I achieved with the HTP kit. Duane worked with me via e-mail, Pm, and land line to walk me through the entire build. NO CHARGE!
I'm no wizzard but I happen to think he has a "Better Idea"
Just my opinioin.
CESAR
Zero clearance eh??? I'd sure like to see that. It would burn up that plastic quicker than a knife thru butter, melt on the impeller, then "squeek" i would think. Mine is all scored up just from normal lake use in muddy water and mine was set .010 under. That extra .010 that was there is gone now. Now where is the better pump build with that? Maybe at first but down the road....... :confused: I believe you have to inspect it more often as opposed to bronze. It's pretty and all but the old standby(bronze) would have been just as good if not better in some aspects(like a bearing failure). Now that would take out that plastic wear ring in a heartbeat and then go into your suction housing. The bronze would give you extra protection of the suction if that happened i would think. Dont forget the bronze is ALOT cheaper and been around forever. Must be the color is worth the exta $$.:confused:
CHET
P.S. when you spend money with someone cesar, arent they supposed to offer help and not charge?:confused: As you say you are no wizzard!(cheerleader maybe) :D

HammerDown
12-23-2003, 08:12 AM
Hmmmm, but I belive I read somewhere that there isnt nothing really to gain by running zero clearance vs lets say .025 in a river/lake pump. Kinda like gapless rings vs standard ones.
Unless ones trying to shave a 10'th off there ET....maybe?
Beats me, I've ran it as close as .005 (on a trued Impeller and shaft) and as wide as .030 never ran on the clocks..but MPH and hole shot seemed the same in my big slug.
I keep it at .018 Been like that for years now.
Duans a pleasure to talt with over the phone, very helpfull in every aspect and never tryed to push his products or services on me...he, actually several years ago offered me one of his Wear Rings for free to test...All's he asked was for me to ship him my Impeller to size the ring and give honest feedback. Sorry to say I did'nt as it was the middle of Boating Season, and I just wanted to have fun at that time.
Duane's one of the few that wont bend ya over a barrel or try to massage your wallet out of ones pocket...sorry Chet no smoke and mirrors with that fella.
He even gave me a Thrust Bearing FREE...because I posted what turned out to be a very good question about Thrust Bearings installation direction on another Forum (banderlog).
He's a good "Joe"...hope to meet him some day.
That be my 2 cents:cool:

Taylorman
12-23-2003, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by ChetCapoli
Costs just as much to have an impeller "cleaned up" as it is for a new one, so why bother??
Chet,
I don't know who you get to clean up your impellers but they sure are give you the shaft if they charge you as much as a new one. I got one cleaned up for $125. If you know where to get a new impeller for that price, please give up your secret.

ChetCapoli
12-23-2003, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Taylorman
I don't know who you get to clean up your impellers but they sure are give you the shaft if they charge you as much as a new one. I got one cleaned up for $125. If you know where to get a new impeller for that price, please give up your secret.
Sorry taylorman, i meant to say almost as much, not "as much". For some reason i thought the "majic" everyone speaks so highly off can be had in the $175.00 area....new ones are around a couple hundred or so last i recall. That's kinda what i meant. What was done for your $125??? Was the impeller in bad shape or no??
The word "free" will just about clear any smoke and mirrors in my book too mr. hammer. I'm with ya all the way. :) Unfortunately mine cost me $125.00. :frown: It's not a pretty color but next time i'll go factory.
CHET

Duane HTP
12-23-2003, 06:08 PM
I'll try to help here if I can. First of all I recommend setting the Ultimate Wear Ring, to impeller side clearance at a total of .020" to .025". Going any tighter than that is just a waste of HP because it brings the lainer surfaces of water too close together.
Secondaly, even though it may look like plastic to some of you, it's not. It has no plastic in it. We have the patent on the material it's made out of too. It's actually an upper echelon urethane which has been baked, pulled to a vacuum, poured, cured, and then ran through an anile process. All of this is what makes it quite expensive. We have a lot of sand in the areas where we boat. The sand makes some marks and grooves in the ring if you run a lot of it through it, but the Ultimate Wear Ring seems to seal just as good with big grooves in it if not better than when it was smoothe. It's kind of like the Ford - Chevy thing. We sell both the Stainless, Bronze, and Ultimate Wear Ring. So you have a choice of what you get with your kit. It's up to you. We'll help you through your rebuild no matter which wear ring you choose to use. The Ultimate Wear Ring will, however, give a better hole shot than the others will when set up correctly.

TRG
12-23-2003, 08:24 PM
Duane, it sounds like the urethane that you are using is the same type of material that is used to make the modern day skate board wheels?... (called creative urthane)they have alot of rebound ,wich makes them more durable and have some what of a memory to them.
i purchased a pump from a member who had you (duane) rebuild his pump and install the ultimate wear ring! Do i have to do anything special before i use it? the pump has not touched water since the re-build.
thanks todd

sidewound
12-23-2003, 08:28 PM
When I was speaking clearance I was referring to the clearance between the stepped ring and the back of the impeller. I believe mine was set up to .030. or .025. I believe Duane said that once the bearing ran in, the impeller would move back to achieve a very low clearance between the stepped part of the ring and the rear of the impeller. Close to ZERO! I wasn't referring to the outside clearance (dia). Sorry for my unclarity.
Hey Chet, BLOW ME!:D
CESAR

Jet Hydro
12-23-2003, 09:07 PM
Jet Hydro Im sold, but still going to run my ole bronze ware ring.
OK, WHY??????????????
I know that I spend money on shit that I don't need but when it`s something that is proven, it`s not money wasted! Look at what your spending on your boat....Don't you want the best you can get?????? I know I do!!!!!

Duane HTP
12-24-2003, 07:13 AM
Do i have to do anything special before i use it? the pump has not touched water since the re-build.
No, I give the same advise for the Ultimate Wear Ring as I would any other wear ring. Keep it clean, cover the pump intake when going down the road and do not fire the engine until the boat is setting in the water.

ChetCapoli
12-24-2003, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by Jet Hydro
OK, WHY??????????????
I know that I spend money on shit that I don't need but when it`s something that is proven, it`s not money wasted! Look at what your spending on your boat....Don't you want the best you can get?????? I know I do!!!!!
Geez...i didn't think i'd ever say this,but your starting to sound a bit like our buddy HBjet there slowy....
It's proven??? Where and when and compared to what?? What difference did you notice from one to the other other than it's prettier?? The promoter is going to tell you it's the best thing to sliced bread and the other "hype" but do you really know for sure....i think not. If it was cheaper you know i'd be all over it but it's just overpriced and for the money spent your not going to notice it. Unlike you i had to pay for mine(your sponser,ie:free) and i pretty much put my pump together and for the extra money...take it from a do-it-yourselfer, it's "ultimately" just hype. Brass will do just fine. Ol mr. hammer even said your not going to notice in a lake boat, i agree. You will in your wallet though.
CHET

Duane HTP
12-24-2003, 12:42 PM
Dog-gone-it I just can't get you happy Chet. Last time you were on me I was too cheap. Now I'm too pricey. But, I'll keep trying.
Merry Christmas!

FoMoCo
12-24-2003, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Duane HTP
[The Ultimate Wear Ring will, however, give a better hole shot than the others will when set up correctly. [/B]
I second that! I put in a New Aggessor Mag Bronze (B) impeller with the Ultimate wear ring last summeer, and man it rips outa the hole!! And yes like never before! I was also REALLY easy to install. Thanks Duane

Jet Hydro
12-24-2003, 03:21 PM
Chet
First off.... there`s nothing free in this world, even if you have sponsors "it`s still not free." (Someone still pay`s the bills)
Now 2nd.... (It's proven???) Yes it`s proven and I have seen it myself as I own and work on more than just one jet boat.
3rd .....What difference did I notice ? Well the hole shot is better and just like I said before "can be set-up tighter than any ole bronze ware ring. If I do get sand or mud in there, it will put more ware on the ring than the impeller. So in short it gives me a tighter pump and saves my impeller from unnecessary ware." I even run one in my SJ that only has a $200. impeller. Oh Did I say how much easier they are to work with? I can pull it with out using a TORCH to melt out the rubber that holds it in.
Now for 4th... "do you really know for sure....I think not."
2 words come to mind here..... Think Again!
5th..."cheaper"
Well you know what they say about cheaper stuff chet??? Pay me NOW or Pay me LATER!
I don't look for cheaper parts when I`m working on my stuff, I look for what works and if I cant afford it, I wait until I can. Never use the word "cheaper" and boats at the same time....lol... It took me 4 years to get the motor I put in my hydro. I saw it 4 years before I had the money and it was well worth the wait! Good things cost money and time.
Now before you go getting on me about the part about "set-up tighter" You have to under stand that I race mine and I`m always looking for the edge on the other guy so I do a few things that you shouldn't. Hell I run my rod side clearance at .012 you sure wouldn't do that on a street car. There`s more tricks to going faster than the other guy than you`ll ever know.
So yes it`s one of the best thing to sliced bread...lol...
Ok Now for the HBjet part..... Do you want me to come up there and kick you in the package????? :D

Jake W
12-24-2003, 03:48 PM
Man don't you guys ,have the Christmas sprit.
Duane Chet will never be happy with any thing or one.
You can close up the clearances on Bronze too like machining the shaft and cuting the lip off the insulator be for you install it for a smother transition.
Jet Hydro I do not see where instaling a sholdered bronze ware ring would not be money well spent.
Once agine I am in no way telling any one not to run the Ultmate ware ring.To each his own.
Jake:D Merry X mass to every one even Chet

Rexone
12-24-2003, 04:04 PM
Merry Christmas everyone.
Even Chet, (you cheap bastard).... :D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/502/732santa1.gif

Jet Hydro
12-24-2003, 05:23 PM
Merry Christmas everyone.
http://dragboatracing.com/images/projects/hangfindayjob.jpg

matt1
12-24-2003, 08:46 PM
Merry Christmas Steve.

Jet Hydro
12-25-2003, 08:21 PM
Matt
Merry Christmas to you too!

ChetCapoli
12-25-2003, 10:23 PM
Jet Hydro I do not see where instaling a sholdered bronze ware ring would not be money well spent.
For the very few times there hobo....we agree. Money well spent and above all SAVED!!
Sure slowy you can tighten it up to where the impeller "embeds" itself into the wear ring for that "extra ET" but in a lake boat application with "normal' clearance.....YOU WONT SEE IT. Take in mind that sand...embeds itself into the "urathane" wear ring(brass wont do this) and creates a "sandpaper" effect on the impeller surface.... like in my case. Still usable but if done over again....my moneys on the brass. That .010 under ring i have(or had)....the extra .010 is gone thanks to sand and silt. Over the long haul...who knows how much more???
Like i said, 'ultimately' just a gimmick. If you want to check it all the time like you do race shit(and have another to replace it with at $125 bucks a pop) it's one thing but if you want to do it once and forget about it, the brass is the ticket.
Merry Christmas back at ya!
CHET

Jet Hydro
12-25-2003, 10:53 PM
Chet
I run them in my lake boat also... You know the one that hit a sand bar at 70+mph this summer... The ring still look`s to be in good shape. I had to dig out the pump after we got the boat back in deep enough water to float again. (over 150ft of sand bar) When I say dig, I mean dig out the pump! It was plugged so bad it took 1/2 an hour to clean it out.
I`v never seen sand embed in any of my Ultimate Wear Rings. I still have the first one that Duane installed in my Hydro "installed" right now. That boat has seen everything from rivers with floating trash and as Duane said "We have a lot of sand in the areas where we boat" That`s the same lake we test my hydro on.
The way I see it is, If I hit a sand bar like I did and it embeds sand in to the ware ring then that was a small price I paid for hitting a sand bar! But the ring didn't have any sand embedded in it after running 150ft + on 4" of water on top of a sand bar.
A wise man once told me ::::::
"If you want to pump sand, get a Garner Pump, not a Berkeley. That's what they use in the sand pits." ;)
I hope you had a Merry Christmas!

Cas
12-26-2003, 01:35 AM
Hey Chet,
I just picked up a boat with a Berk JG that's set back about 6" or so. I don't know much of the history of the pump so I figure a rebuild is in order. Since you know so much about pumps, I want your exact recommendation on what to do.
By the sound of it, you've built more pumps with better results than Duane, Jack, Walt, Don and many other people....right?

Duane HTP
12-26-2003, 08:17 AM
Chet, you've said several things here that make me womder if you really have my wear ring. We've sold over twelve thousand of the rings over the years and as of yet have not seen sand inbedded in the wear rings. The only way to do that, that I know of, is to pull the boat down a sandy road about 50 mph with no cover under the pump until the wear ring cavity is full and then start it and run it on the trailer until you have melted everything. Also, didn't you mention that someone else set the pump up, (not you)? Maybe there was a set up problem. I would like for you to send me that wear ring that you're talking about and let me inspect it. I'll replace it for FREE just to get a look at what you're talking about. What do you say Chet?

King Kuracz
12-26-2003, 04:48 PM
I would like for you to send me that wear ring that you're talking about and let me inspect it. I'll replace it for FREE just to get a look at what you're talking about. What do you say Chet?
Now you're talking the only language that Chet understands. Thought you sold that POS, Chet? What happened, no market out there for used towel racks and Chet special blueprinted bottoms? With all your pump expertise that abortion should bring a premium price.
Or could it be that your skills are only in your own mind?
Merry Christmas, tightwad!

sidewound
12-26-2003, 07:12 PM
Hey Chit! oops CHET!
I will repeat BLOW ME!
Suck seaweed weenieboy!
Sighned'
My boat works!
CESAR

TRG
12-26-2003, 08:41 PM
so what am i looking to drop with you duane?$$ for a rebuild kit with the ultimate wear ring and a new imp. both aluminum$ and SS$? thanks todd

TRG
12-26-2003, 08:42 PM
one more question...should you be able to spin the pump freely when it is a "TIGHT" pump? verses my pump?

Jake W
12-28-2003, 01:30 PM
What happned to this thread it was just starting to get intresting?:smilespi: :smilespi:

BrendellaJet
12-28-2003, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by toddnjuzz
one more question...should you be able to spin the pump freely when it is a "TIGHT" pump? verses my pump?
I haven't used my pump since Jack did his stage 3 rebuild on it-I can spin it easily by hand...I think that if the pump is too tight to turn by hand-then something is wrong.

TRG
12-28-2003, 07:24 PM
so would you think that the rope seal is too tight? considering the impeller does not rub the wearring in any way?

Cs19
12-28-2003, 08:37 PM
Todd, Whats the history of the pump? Some resistance is ok, if its really hard to turn you may want to take a look at it.Yes its probably the packings causing the tight feel. The packing clamps should not be cranked down just snugged up.
Do you still have the jet-away off that used pump you bought?

Duane HTP
12-29-2003, 07:24 PM
so what am i looking to drop with you duane?$$ for a rebuild kit with the ultimate wear ring and a new imp. both aluminum$ and SS$? thanks todd
The kit along with a rebuilt impeller runs $299.00.
The kit/good alum or tenz imp runs $466.00.
The kit/ with SS impeller runs $976.00.

TRG
12-29-2003, 08:40 PM
thank you duane!
cs...no i do not have the jet-away! a board member needed it more than i'll ever need it! "baleedat"!
thanks for the replys guys. todd

ChetCapoli
12-29-2003, 09:11 PM
What happned to this thread it was just starting to get intresting?:smilespi: :smilespi:
Things are always interesting when i'm involved there hobo!:D Better get you hamsanwhiches out and sit tight.
CHET

ChetCapoli
12-29-2003, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by Jet Hydro
I run them in my lake boat also... You know the one that hit a sand bar at 70+mph this summer... I had to dig out the pump after we got the boat back in deep enough water to float again. (over 150ft of sand bar) When I say dig, I mean dig out the pump! It was plugged so bad it took 1/2 an hour to clean it out. The ring still look's to be in good shape.
Yeap, mine "looks" to be in good shape too. Of course i see no mention of taking the pump apart to "look" at it. Besides, how can you "see" .010 or .020 ???
The way i see it is, If I hit a sand bar like I did and it embeds sand in to the ware ring then that was a small price I paid for hitting a sand bar! But the ring didn't have any sand embedded in it after running 150ft + on 4" of water on top of a sand bar.
Again, how do you know if you didnt take it apart and mic it??? Are you saying that "plastic" i mean "aerospace eurathane" never wears out?? Would you notice the same with a brass wear ring???

ChetCapoli
12-29-2003, 10:24 PM
Chet, you've said several things here that make me womder if you really have my wear ring. We've sold over twelve thousand of the rings over the years and as of yet have not seen sand inbedded in the wear rings. The only way to do that, that I know of, is to pull the boat down a sandy road about 50 mph with no cover under the pump until the wear ring cavity is full and then start it and run it on the trailer until you have melted everything. Also, didn't you mention that someone else set the pump up, (not you)? Maybe there was a set up problem. I would like for you to send me that wear ring that you're talking about and let me inspect it. I'll replace it for FREE just to get a look at what you're talking about. What do you say Chet?
Come to think of it...maybe i dont have your wear ring. If i remember at the local state fair this year the guy with the "glowsticks" had a few of them trying to pass it off as an extravigant dog collar....bright orange to boot! NOT!:confused:
As stated above, how would you know how to embed sand in your wear ring if after selling twelve THOUSAND of them, you've never seen it?
I'm not here to get into a tifft with you sir since i am sure you are a heck of a guy. All i am saying is that your wear rings arent all they are cracked up to be.....they do wear out. For the extra money saved, brass is just as good. My opinion i guess. Seems these bozos see it as slamming you rather than telling it how it is. Funny, i dont see anything on the net regarding MPD and his use of your wear ring....does he use them?? Just curious as i would think if they were that good and never wore out(ie. no sand problems), he would be right on it. As are buddy ol HBJet says," the best" only uses "the best" :D
oh yes, if i dont sell my boat i'll just might tear it down(not that it needs it) and take you up on your deal. (The word free always sparks interest in people.) So kind of you to offer.
CHET

Jake W
12-30-2003, 05:33 AM
Chet you are all over the place hear.First in threads past you tell people MPD is not the only shop out there now you are saying they are the best.Befor you are saying use other shops like HTP now you are saying their products are not up to par.
Chet you are one confused person.Like I said befor never happy with any thing or any one.
Chet do you need one of my Hot hams to get you through this.
I think every product has it good and bad sides.
I say pop the bowl off pop the imp off and send in your ware ring to Duane to get this settled.What you think

Duane HTP
12-30-2003, 08:35 PM
Chet, Who said they never wear out???? I missed that!

Jet Hydro
12-30-2003, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by ChetCapoli
Yeap, mine "looks" to be in good shape too. Of course i see no mention of taking the pump apart to "look" at it. Besides, how can you "see" .010 or .020 ???
[B]
Again, how do you know if you didnt take it apart and mic it??? Are you saying that "plastic" i mean "aerospace eurathane" never wears out?? Would you notice the same with a brass wear ring???
Chet
I`ll tell ya what I`ll do "just for you" --- As soon as I get this Pro Street Camaro done that I`m building for a guy I`m going to start on my boat. I will take apart the pump and let Duane check it out!
We were planning on doing that anyway so don't feel like it`s really just for you...lol...
I`ll let you know how the ware ring held up to 2 years of big HP and over 10,000 miles of driving crossed the southern USA., sandy lakes and trashy rivers.
How`s that? I`ll make a $100. bet with you that there`s NO sand embedded in my ware ring and I`ll post a pic of the ring. What ya say???? Take me up on it?????? There might be some groves from the trash but I`ll bet there`s no sand still in the ring.
Funny thing about my pump and those ware rings is that with every pass my boat has gotten faster. I would say that my pump must be still in good shape wouldn't you?
Ok now for the sand bar pump and ware ring that's on my SJ... I "DID" take the bowl off and look things over as soon as I got it back on the trailer and the ware ring had 3 or 4 very little groves ...LITTLE! get that ??? LITTLE!
If it were bad, I would have driven 8 miles from the lake to HTP and picked up a new one while it was a part.