PDA

View Full Version : Question about the layup of a typical flattie

UBFJ #454
12-20-2003, 06:20 AM
Is the weight within a typical flat hull distributed uniformly throughout the hull or are the hulls typically heavier in the forward 1/3 and lighter aft?

SERIOUS ISSUES
12-22-2003, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by BEAR_454PE
Is the weight within a typical flat hull distributed uniformly throughout the hull or are the hulls typically heavier in the forward 1/3 and lighter aft?
they are heavier aft as far as bare hull go's. hull's are so light in camparison to the total boat weight that engine placement, strut location and gearbox location become most important.
what are you trying to figure out?:confused:

superdave013
12-22-2003, 09:01 PM
Mine always seemed heavy in the bow.
My last one took 3 of us picked it up and took it off the trailer. It took 2 guys up front and one in the back to lift it.

SERIOUS ISSUES
12-23-2003, 09:43 AM
yours was an old sanger, right? all my boats have been fairly light lay ups. when I put the ones I painted on the dolley I had to put the dolley further aft.
I would say on an old heavy boat there is more glass and wood up front and that woud make a huge differance.

UBFJ #454
12-23-2003, 01:12 PM
Trying to ID our hull: Said to be a picklefork tunnel Brendella by most, but suspect it may actually be one of Irv Brendel's "Pickle Scoop Flats" circa mid to late '70's.

superdave013
12-23-2003, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by SERIOUS ISSUES
yours was an old sanger, right? all my boats have been fairly light lay ups. when I put the ones I painted on the dolley I had to put the dolley further aft.
I would say on an old heavy boat there is more glass and wood up front and that woud make a huge differance.
Nope, was a hondo t deck. Not super light but was light enough that you couldn't walk on the deck.