PDA

View Full Version : What does Christmas mean to you?

rvrtoy
12-20-2003, 11:49 AM
It means so many things to me that I can't express in words but in a nut shell:
Giving presents to some children who are less fortunate than mine. And watching them be so happy and joyous in a usually bleek time for them as they recieve things they never dreamed possible. What a great feeling.:D
WOW...Am I turning into a chick or what?:rolleyes:

GlastronGuy
12-20-2003, 02:56 PM
2 Western Digital 36GB Raptors (10,000 RPM) to run in RAID
:):):)

Kilrtoy
12-20-2003, 03:35 PM
FU&^ Im broke again

GlastronGuy
12-20-2003, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Kilrtoy
FU&^ Im broke again
Stop posting and get a job.
:)

Rocket2003
12-20-2003, 04:28 PM
Jesus's Birthday!;)

Moomawnster
12-21-2003, 04:18 AM
Originally posted by Rocket2003
Jesus's Birthday!;)
Thanks Rocket , more folks should remember that , nothing bothers me more than the complete lack of humility during this religious celebration . The Japs even have bobble head Jesus !
:eek: :eek: :rolleyes: :frown: :yuk:
How about something simple and beautiful .......
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/139MVC-021S-med.JPG

Buff
12-21-2003, 07:28 AM
It means to me that we are still steeped in superstition and magic thinking. The divine incarnate is just a profound human dream to keep us from the terrible boogyman which is that our precious heart and head-felt egos probably dissolve upon our deaths. Still - we have to have these comforting fairy tales to go on. We have nothing else - well - we have the River and our hot boats, our cold beer on sun-split desert days, and young girls - and - well - it may not be eternal Heaven but it is about as close to earthly paradise as we can manage and that's not bad compensation. Buff

LASERRAY
12-21-2003, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by Buff
It means to me that we are still steeped in superstition and magic thinking. The divine incarnate is just a profound human dream to keep us from the terrible boogyman which is that our precious heart and head-felt egos probably dissolve upon our deaths. Still - we have to have these comforting fairy tales to go on. We have nothing else - well - we have the River and our hot boats, our cold beer on sun-split desert days, and young girls - and - well - it may not be eternal Heaven but it is about as close to earthly paradise as we can manage and that's not bad compensation. Buff That's deep man!:D You use your tongue prettier then a $20.00 *****!:D :D :D

Kachina26
12-21-2003, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by Buff
It means to me that we are still steeped in superstition and magic thinking. The divine incarnate is just a profound human dream to keep us from the terrible boogyman which is that our precious heart and head-felt egos probably dissolve upon our deaths. Still - we have to have these comforting fairy tales to go on. We have nothing else - well - we have the River and our hot boats, our cold beer on sun-split desert days, and young girls - and - well - it may not be eternal Heaven but it is about as close to earthly paradise as we can manage and that's not bad compensation. Buff
I'll resist making the full argument, however, it has been said that this earth is the closest to heaven that most people will know. It's also been said that this earth is the closest to Hell that the saved will have to experience.

GlastronGuy
12-21-2003, 10:14 AM
Let me break it down for everyone.
Both Santa and Jesus are fictional characters.

HammerDown
12-21-2003, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by GlastronGuy
Well what about the Easter Bunny?

Dr. Eagle
12-21-2003, 11:39 AM
To me it means being with my family. That is the most important thing to me...
I was just offered a contract to go to the Cayman Islands for 3 months as a troubleshooter at 15K per month. I turned it down, because I would have had to be on an airplane this morning, oh and they called last Thursday...December 18th.

Kilrtoy
12-21-2003, 11:39 AM
I like holidays,
Who cares what they are for.....

Rod-64
12-21-2003, 11:42 AM
A maxed-out Visa.:mad:
And a new GPS.:)

Dr. Eagle
12-21-2003, 11:58 AM
I like holidays,
Sheesh Kilr, well said...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

BGMAN203
12-21-2003, 12:23 PM
I seem to always get laid around a holiday, so thats good.

Moomawnster
12-21-2003, 12:50 PM
I like holidays,
HehHeh ...... I'm with ya on that Kilrtoy ! I think the history is interesting but you hit it outa the park ! :cool:

spectratoad
12-21-2003, 08:58 PM
I agree with Kilrtoy. It is about family and friends.
Yes it is geared around religion and that is the way it is. If it is not your religion then just enjoy the holiday and oh yeah, when every other Christian person is given the admin time off to go celebrate, keep your whining, bitching a$$ at work since it is something you don't believe in.
PS that wasn't pointed directly to you GLGuy but it sure is funny how people who don't believe or celebrate a person or event take the time off when it is there. Yes I work MLK Day. ;)

Kilrtoy
12-21-2003, 09:01 PM
Yes I work MLK Day
That sucks,
Oh wait So do I at double time and a half

LASERRAY
12-21-2003, 09:05 PM
Both Santa and Jesus are fictional characters. Let ME break it down for you, unlike Santa, Christ really did exist. I Swear to......... Oh, never mind.:D :D :D

Kim Hanson
12-21-2003, 09:23 PM
It is spending it with family and friends, food drink and be very merry! Kid's opening the presents, loud one's at that ( I buy all my niecies and nephews loud one's) pay back's a bitch! To me it's never been a day Christ was born, more like a day that you spend shit load's of money on people for being family! It's all good though, this is a time for sharing!...........( . )( . )...........

Moomawnster
12-21-2003, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by LASERRAY
Let ME break it down for you, unlike Santa, Christ really did exist. I Swear to......... Oh, never mind.:D :D :D
Keep going Laseray ! St Nicholas was a real person and so was Jesus of Nazareth ....... the present status may be a bit inflated but the people were real , Glasguy needs to read more history .

Buff
12-22-2003, 06:36 AM
Much thanks for sparing us the tired old testamonies - keep dreaming - it's all part of being asleep. It's scary going through life awake - no doubt we disbelievers are foolish - but we perseverve through sleepless nights. We take solace in that we are moral people for our famiy's sake and our fellow human being's sake not because we are seeking points and a seat in some anciently promised fairlyland heaven. The Truth may be devestating but hey - we can turn to one another and say, "At least we didn't fall for some sweet deflecting dream - we dared to stand up to it and stare back at its unblinking face." Buff

MagicMtnDan
12-22-2003, 06:47 AM
I could see from your other posts that you're one of those "special" NoCal'ers from the land of liberal secularists.
Anyone who says Christmas means 2 Western Digital 36GB Raptors (10,000 RPM) to run in RAID and then follows it up by saying Both Santa and Jesus are fictional characters needs more help than he can get online.
Dude, religion may not be for you or for everyone but at least show some respect for those who do believe. In the meantime, take your secular ideals to France - it's the LAW over there. This country was founded on Judeo-Christian beliefs.
Sorry if anyone thinks I'm taking his BS too seriously but I just think he's out of line. Happy Chanukah and Merry Christmas everyone!

Buff
12-23-2003, 10:56 AM
Respectfully MM Dan -
True enough this country was founded upon religious tenets but such beliefs included slavery and racial eradication (North America's indigenous peoples.) Hopefully we have evolved socially - we now see the idiocy and immorality of slavery, the great sin against ourselves of genocide, and the lie and absurdity of religious belief. (Sorry - not all of us have evolved to the latter point.)
Sorry - that sounded malacious it was not meant to be - we are separated by a great gulf so chances are we can never agree regarding revelation, the divine, knowledge of ultimacy and etc. Probably believers in Christ's being the son of god, had they been born in Saudi Arabia would be zealous adherents to Islam. There are learned books recently published that suggest, with no little cogent argument, that the tendency to believe these superstitions may well be innate. The true believer MUST believe regardless. What we share is a moral code - you do it for reward in Heaven - we do it for love or respect of fellow man. In Truth (Scary superstitiousless truth.) all we have are these few decades if we are lucky and one another. So even non-believers enjoy the Christian's appropriated celebration of Jesus' birth for it does our hearts good to see people joyous and giving. Buf

JakeAisA
12-23-2003, 12:23 PM
Christmas in America is unique. We celebrate Christmas in the United States differently then the rest of the Christmas observing world--we've commercialized it--and that's a good thing. Christmas, for the most part, is not a religious Holiday. It's a Holiday that has become to mean much more about our way of life and our values, as Americans, then it is about celebrating Jesus' Birthday. It has become a time for Americans to celebrate thier highest values--thier family and freinds and our culture. We are a wealthy nation that stands on two noble ideals: production and happiness. We give at Christmas because we can and because we're proud of who we are. We give to show those we love and like that we care about them. We reward good people for what they mean to us and for what they've done for us. We spend time with our families, not becuase we have to, but because we want to.
We spend a lot of money on Christmas becuase it makes us happy to entertain family, freinds and co-workers. We spend a lot of money on gifts because our success, our profit as Capitalist Americans, has meaning--happiness. We're not greedy Americans for the sake of greed; we're greedy Americans who seek the enjoyment of producing a living, providing for our families and then spending our wealth on those we love. America is good, what we do is good, Christmas time is a tribute the people around us that we value and it's a tribute to ourselves.
Happiness is giving something to someone deserves it; happiness is recieving when you deserve it. Christmas is about us; it's not about Jesus. But for those who are Christian, it's still about us, plus the added element of it being about Jesus' birth. But you don't have to Christian to understand and participate in Christmas because Christmas is about who we are--Christmas is a vindication of who we are and we we do.
I love that Christmas is a commercial holiday; it wouldn't be American if it weren't. If working hard to make sure those you love are happy is wrong; then why does it feel so good to do it?
People who don't like Christmas, regardless of religion, are probably not very happy people.

Buff
12-26-2003, 06:46 AM
JakeAisA - Well stated - Happy New year. Buff