PDA

View Full Version : Strut bearing question

topgun
12-20-2003, 04:31 PM
Hi Guys,
I have a nicson strut I need to replace the bearings on. Bearing has a 1.250 O.D. Original bearing looks to be micarta? Looks like dried wood. Can I just use an aqua lube bearing or what other brands are recommended for strut bearings? Also if I cut a bearing in half and stuff 2 inches in each end of the strut is that enough bearing material for the prop shaft? Motor is 420HP.
Thanks,
John H.

Rexone
12-20-2003, 05:14 PM
2" in each end is fine. You ask what kind to 6 different people you may get 6 different answers. I prefer the rubber/brass combination (Blackfish) type because they last longer from my experience. Drawbacks to them are they are harder to get out, in sandy conditions they wear the shaft instead of the bearing, etc. I know alot of the racers prefer the fiber which are also much less expensive. We stock both if you need assistance just hollar. :)
Also when you install the new one do not pound on it. Get a piece of allthread from the hardware store about 1/2" dia, a couple nuts, and big washers. "Pull" the halves in by tightening the nuts up. (poor man's installer)... Keeps the strut bushings from becoming deformed. Also put a little grease on the rubber if you use the rubber. Helps dramatically in installing the shaft vs. dry rubber.

126driver
12-20-2003, 09:44 PM
Those rubber ones are more money? I about fell down when I paid Bergeron for that new composite strut bushing. :eek: :eek:

BILLY.B
12-21-2003, 06:42 AM
Originally posted by 126driver
I fell down when I paid Bergeron for that new composite strut bushing. :eek: :eek: I told you not to "DRINK and BUY", you could fall and hurt yourself :D :D . Hey Rexone, if a guy was to have the Black Fish strut bushing will it damage the shaft real quick if you run on the river?.