PDA

View Full Version : project avenger

12-20-2003, 05:19 PM
Hello
I am in the process of a complete restore of a 76' 16' Cee Bee Avenger. I have installed new stringers, transom, floor and am in the process of sanding all the layers of paint off the hull.
I have been searching and have basicly found nothing on this boat. Is it a fast hull, is it rare, can it be fast, should I can the 455 olds that has to be completly rebuilt for a 454 or 502 crate.
How fast would this boat be with a 500 hp 502. Anybody here boat on the St.Johns. Thanks!! This is a great site!Troy

1Bahnerjet
12-20-2003, 05:27 PM
The Jets were 17'7"
The O.B. was 16' 7"
Which do you have ?
Can it be Fast.....YES
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/43AV8-med.jpg

12-20-2003, 06:27 PM
Sorry, 17', it's a little more of a v bottom than that pic and it has a windshield, split in the middle. Anyone know where I can get a windshield.Thanks!Troy

1Bahnerjet
12-20-2003, 07:01 PM
Sounds like you have a Mach III
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/43AV5-med.jpg
You need to talk to SideWound he has the Same Basic deal (a SideWinder) He'll tell you how to Throw a Roost, at Lease ;)

Jet City
12-20-2003, 07:06 PM
I have seen the one's like yours, nice looking boats. As for your 455 vs. BBC question, obviously the BBC would be the prefered direction if you were starting from scratch, but if you have a fresh 455, why not enjoy what you have. What are your goals for this boat?

Old Guy
12-20-2003, 07:07 PM
Cee Bee Mfg. is still in business. You might be able to get a windshield from them. Last year, I got a windshield frame for a '76 from them.

Jake W
12-20-2003, 07:18 PM
Not to be a cock but the Avenger is nothing like a Sidewinder .Just because it has a windsheild does not make it the same.The sidewinder has a very deep entry hull as where the Avenger just has a diffrent deck on the low profile bottom .This same thing goes for the Taylor SS same bottom as the SJ diffrent Deck.
I think they are pretty neat looking boats good luck with it.
Oyea shit can the 455 and put a FORD 460 in it.What kind of pump does it have?
Jake

Old Guy
12-20-2003, 09:25 PM
Who the hell said anything about a Sidewinder?
http://files.triton.net/old1/avenger.jpg
This is my Avenger. You got a problem with that?

TRG
12-20-2003, 09:29 PM
Lil' musty up under the collar?

Jake W
12-21-2003, 07:11 AM
Hey Old Guy did you even read the intire thread.Bahner1 said something about the sidewinder.I never said any thing about an Old guy in my last post.I do not have a problem with your Avenger.Mabey you should read the whole thread befor you open your mouth.I was just giving some info after all that is what the guy wanted and it had nothing to do with you.I never said any thing bad about the Avenger in the first place.
Rock on Avenger owners.
Jake

Old Guy
12-21-2003, 08:59 AM
Jake W
Sorry!!!
They tell me that the memory is the first to go.....then the hearing.....then I think it's the eyes.....then maybe......I forget.
Time to sit down and shut up.

Jake W
12-21-2003, 02:03 PM
Old guy no reason to say sorry.I sam sure this guy could learn from you exp with the boat.So post up.
Jake

HotRod Sprint
12-21-2003, 04:07 PM
You can make an Olds run, but dollar for dollar, if it is needing a rebuild go with a Chevy, if your preference is GM. You just won't see me recommend the blue oval four letter word.
Rod

1Bahnerjet
12-22-2003, 07:44 AM
Jake W,
Yeah the Avenger has a Shallow V with Delta Bottom. A lot of Different Brands had a Hull with a Wrap Around WindShield Like That, do you know who came out with it First ? (I'm Thinking SideWinder but I really don't Know)

12-22-2003, 03:46 PM
Thanks for all your info guys. My boat is exactly like OLD GUYS and I'm sure I will have lots of questions you in the future if I ever get all these layers of paint.
Will mid 60's be posible with a mildly built 454. I'm not looking to make it crazy fast , or my family won't ride in it, however I would like it to be able to hold it's own.
Thanks again! Troy

Jet City
12-22-2003, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by 5.9
Thanks for all your info guys. My boat is exactly like OLD GUYS and I'm sure I will have lots of questions you in the future if I ever get all these layers of paint.
Will mid 60's be posible with a mildly built 454. I'm not looking to make it crazy fast , or my family won't ride in it, however I would like it to be able to hold it's own.
Thanks again! Troy
If mid 60's is all your after, your existing 455 Olds with a decent cam, headers and intake/carb should get the job done (if the pump is up to snuff), and do it for many years. There are plenty of guys here running that fast (reliably) with the Olds, ask around. If your goals require much more than 400 HP, the BBC or BBF are a far more economical and reliable choice.

likwidsukr
12-22-2003, 08:28 PM
With that hull 500hp and a FORD you should aproach 70 or so in my opinion if your pump dials in ok. Good hull

Jake W
12-22-2003, 08:41 PM
1 Bahner jet I would say you are probely right though I do not know for sure.I was told that Sidewinder sued Taylor or tried to because they used the same windsheild on there SS same trim ring and every thing.You would think to be able to have a lawsuit on some Manf it would have to be your idea in the first place.But as you can see on the SSs they never stoped putting them on.But I think Old Rigger said Sidewinder all so had a lawsuit aginst Tahiti for coppieing the deck design ,but the funny thing is Sidewinder coppied Tahits bottom first to make their boat.
Jake:D

sidewound
12-22-2003, 09:33 PM
OLD knows his shit. Don't **** around. He'll VAPORIZE ya. heee hee he
He had a slug hull just like mine and could push it over 80.
You can beleive that took some doin.
Listen and learn.
Peace Man!:cool:
CESAR