PDA

View Full Version : New Boat, Which way to go with stereo?

OutCole'd
12-20-2003, 07:36 PM
I am looking at a new boat. I think I could get more bang for my buck if I buy the boat without stereo & have it installed aftermarket. Can you get a decent system installed for around $2,500?

Havasu Hangin'
12-20-2003, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by OutCole'd
Can you get a decent system installed for around $2,500?
How big of a boat? What comes with the boat?

OutCole'd
12-20-2003, 08:19 PM
28' Deck Boat, I am planning on buying it with a system at all. For a nothing special system, it is a $2,700 upgrade and I think I would do better having it installed after the purchase.

Havasu Hangin'
12-20-2003, 08:33 PM
Yeah...you're probably right. I'd look at what they are giving you for $2,700...you can probably do better.
How far along is the boat?

OutCole'd
12-20-2003, 08:40 PM
I have not closed the deal yet. I hope to have good news by the middle of next week. I am just trying to get ideas on which way to go on some of the options. These forums are usully a great source for info like that. Many peeps who have traveled this road before me.

Havasu Hangin'
12-20-2003, 08:58 PM
A big expense (probably the biggest) on an install is running wires and cutting holes, because the interior has to be taken apart again.
If it were me, I'd work that in as part of the build. Then, all you'd really have to do is bolt in a head unit, amps, and speakers.

TrojanDan
12-21-2003, 12:29 AM
I agree that one of the biggest costs in a stereo is the install. My (stereo shop) install alone was about $1k. When we bought our boat the previous owner paid ~$1800 for the stereo upgrade from the boat builder. The only pieces of equipment I salvaged from that original stereo system was the Sony CD Changer and wired remote. The rest went in the Recycler for $300 I believe.
Definitely try having the stereo put in after the boat is built. Most boat builders are just that, not professional stereo installers. Even if they "sub" it out to someone else, you still pay the boat builder's mark-up.
Contact ROZ from the boards for questions and equipment prices.
:cool:

riverbound
12-21-2003, 05:23 PM
Definitely use an outside shop if you are looking for the biggest bang for the buck. The boat manufacturers do throw quite a bit of mark up on stereo upgrades.

Keith E. Sayre
12-23-2003, 11:14 AM
For what it's worth, we at Conquest have our systems done by
Car Toyz here in Havasu. We let you buy the system directly from
them and you pay them. They do outstanding work, don't rip you
off and take care of you if there is a problem. I would recommend
them. If you're having a boat built in Havasu they'll cut the holes
while the manf. is cutting the holes and run the wires at the
appropriate time also, then finish it right before the boat is finished, then they'll come over and teach the customer how to use it etc.
Give them a call at 928-680-0203, I trust them and they'll take
good care of you.
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats
Lake Havasu City

RUCAV
01-04-2004, 08:48 AM
Ultra uses an outside company to do their stereo work and started out with a price of $2500 for the stereo upgrade. They dropped it to $1800 when I told them it was to high. I spoke with the installer and asked him to list the components and all the installation products. I took that list to the guy who does my stereo work and had him look at it. Without skipping a beat he told me he would do it all for $1000. Hardware and installation. If your interested in talking with them its called BOW DOWN AUTOSOUND in costa mesa. Head guys name is Malike. Also, they were going to use Viper speakers. I went to 5 different stereo shops and they said Viper makes good alarms, not good speakers.
Also, after talking to several people, I bought the XM satelite for my house, boat and truck. Tons of channels and you get service in Havasu.

SUPERCREWJOHN
01-08-2004, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by RUCAV
Ultra uses an outside company to do their stereo work and started out with a price of $2500 for the stereo upgrade. They dropped it to $1800 when I told them it was to high. I spoke with the installer and asked him to list the components and all the installation products. I took that list to the guy who does my stereo work and had him look at it. Without skipping a beat he told me he would do it all for $1000. Hardware and installation. If your interested in talking with them its called BOW DOWN AUTOSOUND in costa mesa. Head guys name is Malike. Also, they were going to use Viper speakers. I went to 5 different stereo shops and they said Viper makes good alarms, not good speakers.
Also, after talking to several people, I bought the XM satelite for my house, boat and truck. Tons of channels and you get service in Havasu.
Were you dealing with John directly or someone else? They should be building the 28 Stealth for me pretty soon, and like you I do not want Viper stuff nor Pioneer. What boat did you purchase, and what did you select for a stereo?
SCJ

ROZ
01-08-2004, 02:49 PM
The viper amps will be discontinued and their DEI line will add some of the Viper cosmetics. .. or was it the opposite http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/confused/confused43.gif
Regardless, they do produce decent products for the money. I like their 5 channel and class D amps, and the sound produced by their 6.5 seperates as long as you don't need to throw a ton of power at them....
The upper end Pioneer Premier head units are good... As a matter of fact, the DEXP1, like the Alpine7909 (circa 1989-1992) is still a sought after headunit... I like the DEXP9 better though... :D

RUCAV
01-08-2004, 08:17 PM
Were you dealing with John directly or someone else? They should be building the 28 Stealth for me pretty soon, and like you I do not want Viper stuff nor Pioneer. What boat did you purchase, and what did you select for a stereo?
SCJ
SCJ
I bought the 247 XS. I called the guy who does their install. I think his name is Martin, but not sure. I wrote down all the components and took them to a local shop where Ive had some work done. He looked at the components and said $1000. I bought the boat from Bob Brown. Ultra first said the stereo upgrade was $2500. As I was driving home he called me back and said they could do it for $1800. Let me know if you want info on the stereo shop.
Rick

ROZ
01-09-2004, 12:00 AM
Martin at Advanced Audio? HE is a good guy and talented installer but whatever you do, DO NOT deal with his guy Ryan. He use to work for another shop, and he is a theif. The guy cannot be trusted at all. Too bad Martin brought him in.. A guy like that can cause a small shop to close it's doors....

BIGTYME
01-09-2004, 02:00 PM
that guy at advanced audio is trying to sell viper stuff all the time. He must get some huge discount for selling so many viper speakers. I heard one set and they sounded pretty good.

ROZ
01-09-2004, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by BIGTYME
that guy at advanced audio is trying to sell viper stuff all the time. He must get some huge discount for selling so many viper speakers. I heard one set and they sounded pretty good.
It's good stuff at a good retail price point with good profit margin...
Moving product at whatever price point is good the the MFG.... :D ;)

RUCAV
01-09-2004, 03:55 PM
The stereo upgrade for ultra has a pioneer 3500 head unit, a PPI PCX5800 800 watt, 5 channel amp, 2 pair of 6.5's, 1 pair of 6x9's and a pair of 12"s. Martin uses Viper speakers. I went to 4 shops and they did not like the Vipers. So I went with Alphasonik. The installer is now saying since I went with Alphasonik, I need another amp because Alphasonik's handles more power. Does that sound right to those of you in the know about this stuff. I dont see how it is a good amp with the Vipers, but not good enough for the Alphasonik's.
Help a brother out.

ROZ
01-09-2004, 05:34 PM
What gear is in your system?
Did you take the upgrade but go with Alphasonic speakers, or Alphasonik everything?
That PCX5800 is a good amp....
What is your system lacking? Are they talking about adding a dedicated sub amp? I can see that.... There are a few peeps here that have some pretty good sounding systems that only run 1 5 channel amp. One installer I know of was pretty surprized how well the 2 Kappa 10's by Infinity sounded in a well designed box powered from a measley Alpine 5 channel amp... :D Pretty good bass if I imagine correctly ;)
It's possible that you're demands are now beyond your amp's abilities and need to upgrade...
Did the 4 shops that disaproved of going Viper Audio even stock Viper Audio? I don't stock them, but like the way they sound at their rice point. They've even had some pretty good reviews....

jbtrailerjim
01-09-2004, 05:37 PM
I did not do any upgrades to my stereo in my Ultra. I just went with stock Pioneer deck and 4 Viper 6.5" speakers. I did not think Ultra's $ for the upgrade was worth it. I am taking the boat this winter and having the system upgraded. I have not decided what im going to do to it yet. My stereo guy want's to use "Arc" amp's. I've never heard of them are they any good? I still have not decided on what speakers im going to install. The Viper speakers sound decent but I am still going change them out.

UnionJack
01-09-2004, 06:01 PM
JB is the boat sold yet? I think that XM is the way to go, the you never have to play it that loud... if you and your buddies listen to the same stuff you are all good, and it doesn't cost and arm and leg

ROZ
01-10-2004, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by jbtrailerjim
My stereo guy want's to use "Arc" amp's. I've never heard of them are they any good? I still have not decided on what speakers im going to install.
Yes they're good. Very well built high end tweeky SQ amplifiers. You could always hook them up to a pair of Rainbow seperates... Just make sure to bring a wad of cash or your Platinum card... :D It ain't cheap.
To be honest, I don't think I'd use highend tweeky SQ gear in a boat. You'll never hear it to it's potential. Install it into your rig for the trips to the lake :D
I think their site is Arcaudio.com
Look into Zapco or maybe JL Audio..... We had a guy give up his ARC's for a set of JL Slash line amps and swears the change was for the best.

RUCAV
01-10-2004, 10:02 AM
I didnt really know what was quality stuff so I just took what Ultra puts in and went shopping for those items. I just booted the viper stuff and switched it with Alphasonik. Here is the lineup:
Pioneer 3500 head unit
4 Alphasonik 6.5's
2 Alphasonik 6x9's
2 Alphasonik 12"s
PCX 5800 Amp (Heard many good things about this amp)
XM radio unit.
ROZ, do you think I'm gonna need another amp?
None of the shops stocked it and many of them didnt know viper made anything other than car alarms.

CEO
01-12-2004, 05:57 PM
I bought SonyXm with the brain, 1 hardwire remote, 1-1000watt crossfire amp for the 2-12 wolfers. 8- 6x9s sony, a 4 channel 840watt crossfire amp.
My stereo is going to be installed in a few weeks, the boat is just out of the mold. I'm not really thrilled with the Sony speakers, they are a little higher pitch that I want. Anyone know of any other top of the line 6x9s that can handle the marine use? The sony does have the funkie covers and the inside is Red and you can see through it.

Havasu Hangin'
01-12-2004, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by CEOinSoCal
I'm not really thrilled with the Sony speakers, they are a little higher pitch that I want. Anyone know of any other top of the line 6x9s that can handle the marine use? The sony does have the funkie covers and the inside is Red and you can see through it.
I would hesitate putting Sony in a Bayliner (the Bayliner deserves better). http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/happy/1/happy02.gif
I wouldn't worry about getting marine speakers (unless your retracing the path of the Edmund Fitzgerald)...they never really get wet enough to corrode...
...unless those Sony speakers are paper, too. http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/happy/1/happy34.gif

CEO
01-12-2004, 08:09 PM
Na no paper, but I did buy a 2000 watt Honda generator to make sure my rig starts and have many blended cocktails:)

Havasu Hangin'
01-12-2004, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by CEOinSoCal
Na no paper, but I did buy a 2000 watt Honda generator to make sure my rig starts and have many blended cocktails...
There's a man with his priorities in order!