PDA

View Full Version : Custom Tournament Boats

Coach
12-21-2003, 07:35 PM
I don't know about the rest of you but when I go boating involves wakeboarding or tubing. I have young kids that will end up doing the same, so the idea of me having some monster boat(25+) is pointless right now, but I don't want some cookie cutter tournament boat either. It seems that Genesis custom boats and now Orion custom boats are giving Hot Boaters a reason to own a V drive tournament boat. Does anyone know someone who owns one or have been in one. Genesis has had some write ups recently in HB and have had good reviews, like every boat tested. Let me know what you think. Here are the links to boat manufacturers. One of the other main criterion for the "Familly boat" is price. I don't know what Orion charges, but the price of the Genesis is within reason, $40K mark. Actually less than many cookie cutters
Orion Custom Boats (http://www.orioncustomboats.com/)
Genesis Custom Boats (http://www.genesisboats.com/232ws.htm)

Rexone
12-21-2003, 07:52 PM
Another one to check out. Top quality ski boats and not huge quantities like the big mfgs. MB Sports (http://www.mbsports.net/) Mike Brendel (yes the Hondo Brendel).

svlperry
12-21-2003, 09:25 PM
don't forget about tige

Kilrtoy
12-21-2003, 10:22 PM
What about that 27 VIOLATOR Aftershock with the Ski tower....

Outnumbered
12-22-2003, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by svlperry
don't forget about tige
I have not heard a lot of good stuff about the Tiges. Supras seem to be a very good quality boat and I have a few friends with them that are very happy.
OL

Coach
12-22-2003, 08:20 AM
I did like that Aftershock, but after being towed behind a 26 DBC tunnel I found out why most people don't ski behind them. Tunnels are great for speed but are not good for wakeboarding.
I know of all the major cookie cutter brands out there, but hate the fact you get 2 color choices and they all look the same. I want the best of both worlds, plus I want to go faster than 40 mph

rvrtoy
12-22-2003, 04:08 PM
Genesis has gotten away from the "custom tournament" boat concept and are more focused on family bowriders now. If you are looking for a "custom tournament style" boat you will have to consider the Orion. The owner was one of the original partners in Genesis. Prices are competative with the higher quality wakeboard boats.
I beleive O. C. Ultra Custom Boats has one of the Orions in their showroom. Call Andrew at 714 799 0700.

rvrtoy
12-22-2003, 04:15 PM
I sold one of the original Genesis (direct drive) boats to a long time customer of mine. He purchased it for his son for his 18th birthday. This was two years ago. I ran into him at the Long Beach boat show this year and asked him how the boat was doing. He told me it was working great and his son couldn't be happier.

Kilrtoy
12-22-2003, 05:00 PM
I was just poking fun at the Violator,
They need to leave it as a custom speed boat...

TRIMDOG
12-22-2003, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by Kilrtoy
I was just poking fun at the Violator,
They need to leave it as a custom speed boat...
I agree, most boats of that style I've been in don't really seem to like the 20-21 m.p.h. speed zone.:confused:

Up 4 River
12-23-2003, 12:10 PM
Coach,
I do not have a family or children but ran into the same dilema as you when I first started looking at boats. Many of the tournament boats are really nice to ski behind, but you have to look at if it is practical. I have skiied behind Tige, American Skiier, Master Craft, MB Sport, and Ski Centerion in the tournament boat maket. They are all great, but if you use the boat at Havasu or Parker they are not going to be practical. If you want one of the bigger models that are pushing 22-23' tournament boats it may not be as rough driving but you will pay a bigger premium. I will not say on the board which is the best or what I liked skking behind best because everybody has their own preference. I did slalom skking behing these boats and was only skiing the course so I know from that.
If your kids are into wakeboarding you will need to look at a boat with a tower and will want to consider an open bow as well. You will wan to look at a balace tank depending on how good your kids are. If you want a the motor in the center or the back of the boat. Do you want a bottom for skking that you can wakeboard behind also or a pure wakeboard boat that is OK to ski behind and a little rough? If you are interested on my personal opinionand experience on these PM and I'll let you know.
I wound up originally with a 21' howard with a 12 degree semi-V and it pulled me out of the water fine and I could wakeboard and ski behind it no problem. I now have a 21' Hallett with a 19 degree V and the wake it bigger in the back. It is better for wakeboarding, but not skiing. I went with a V style boat becasue I am in Havasu and Parker for my weekend trips. I would have gotten to beat up in a 19' tournament boat. If you are into a family boat you may same some money not needed by going for a 350 instead of a 454 or 496 also. Just some things to consider.
I will say that one of the better boats I skiied behind was a 21' sleekcraft tunnel hull with an outboard on the back. If you are fixed on an I/O the skkiing will be rougher, but the wakeboarding better. Anyway I hope this helps and if you want any of my opinions just PM me.

joel c
12-24-2003, 03:24 PM
Hi everyone this is Joel from Genesis. I was reading the post while I was waiting for my gelcoat to set-up. Coach, we still offer a custom v-drive setup if that is what your looking for.
Thanks Steve, for the endorsment on the ski boat.
If you want any info on the boats call or come on in. Remember if your shopping don't just go with what you've heard. This is a big investment and you should check out all your options before you make your final choice. Bottom line the boat handles like the other guys wakeboard boats the only difference is it looks bad-ass and gives you a bad-ass wake. :D