PDA

View Full Version : Lasick?

Stupid Fast
12-23-2003, 06:59 AM
I am considering getting lasick done to me eyes. I went to the first apointment and they say I am a good canidate. Have any of you had this done? What are your thoughts? I would love to be spectical free but this kinda scares the hell out of me.
Any input?
Eric

HammerDown
12-23-2003, 07:05 AM
My 55 year old Brother and 70+ year old neighbor had it done...with awsome results. 20/20 vision in both eyes.
My brother is a chicken shit about everything...no sweat he said and regrets he waited so long to do it.
They only do one eye at a time...if needed.
:cool:

Laveyman
12-23-2003, 07:10 AM
I had my eyes done two weeks ago. I went from 20/80 in both eyes to 20/15 in the left eye, and 20/10 in the right eye! There are a host of side effects, but most are very minor and only temporary. It is definitely worth the money to do. No more glasses or contacts!!! PM me if you have any questions or want to talk about it.
Lavey"I can see thru your clothes"man

Stupid Fast
12-23-2003, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by Laveyman
Lavey"I can see thru your clothes"man
I want your Doctor!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D
Seriously though, Cost is also a factor. They want $2500. That is alot of money for vanity. It sounds like every one I have talked to is happy with results.
Lavey, can you really see through clothes???? If so I'm in!!!!

Havasu Cig
12-23-2003, 07:20 AM
My other 1/2 had it done about 4 years ago and is very happy. No more contacts, which were not comfortable for her to wear in the boat. It was the best 3k I have spent.:cool:

Reaper1
12-23-2003, 07:39 AM
I thought I heard on the radio that the laser eye center was offering a special. $499 an eye and a $250 donation to some charity. Sounds like a good deal but I don't know how reputable these places are.
Grim

SecondTake
12-23-2003, 07:45 AM
Just like perscriptions, there are some excelent laser clinics in Canada that alot of US folks go to. State of art and way less money. Know several who had it done and all good results

spectratoad
12-23-2003, 09:02 AM
Had mine done about 7 years ago and still 20/20. I love it. Noght vision is not as great as it used to be but still good. Get some starburst with lights at night but more so when I am tired. I would do it again though if I needed it.

Laveyman
12-23-2003, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by Stupid Fast
I want your Doctor!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D
Lavey, can you really see through clothes???? If so I'm in!!!!
Yep! Unfortunately for you, I can see you "Short-commings!!!" :D :D :D

BIGTYME
12-23-2003, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by Reaper1
I thought I heard on the radio that the laser eye center was offering a special. $499 an eye and a $250 donation to some charity. Sounds like a good deal but I don't know how reputable these places are.
Grim
I dont think I want the work on my eyes to end in $99. This isnt a bag of doritos on special, this is your vision. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!

gmocnik
12-23-2003, 09:50 AM
just for the recored...it is LASIK...
Laser-Assisted In Situ Keratomileusis
Do your research....find out which laser system the doctor uses...which micrkeratome he uses to cut the flap, his complication rate, retreatment rate, etc.
this is still "surgery" and the physicians skill is an important factor in outcomes...
shop pricing on boat parts, not your eyes....
if you are age 45-65, how will the doctor handle your loss of accomodation from presbyopia (ability to see near)...if he corrects for distance will you still need reading glasses?
many good websites for researching....start here
http://www.fda.gov/cdrh/lasik/
any specific questions...pm me....
gary

Dave C
12-23-2003, 10:17 AM
I did it. It is great. I went from 20/500 to 20/15 (not a typo)
There are some side affects that you should be aware of so ask your doctor.
Don't go cheap, you get what you pay for. He used the B&L machine. They have a new Ladar machine thats even better.
Find a good doctor. Mine had 20000 procedures under his belt.
Worth the $, IMO.

TrojanDan
12-23-2003, 10:50 AM
It was the most excruciating pain I had ever felt in my life! First they saw open your corneal flap with what looks like a butcher knife then they shoot this laser that feels as if a bottle of Tapatio hot sauce was poured into your eye sockets for a week straight.
.....just messing with you. Had it done in Dec '99 by the McDonald's of Lasik, "The Laser Eye Center". It was the best thing since sliced bread, since I've had worn glasses for about 20 years prior to that. I went from a 20/400 to a 20/15-20 vision. Doc told me I wasn't the best candidate and made me sign all kinds of waivers. Still chanced it and had it done. My only side effect is my night vision sucks with halos and starburst effects.
My only advice is to make sure you meet with the doctor who is going to perform the procedure on you.
Good-luck. :cool:

Mrs. Restless22
12-23-2003, 12:37 PM
Damn Dave, you were a blind mofo!!!
No wonder we all would stear clear of you in your boat! :D
j/k
Mrs. Restless22

HAULNZ
12-23-2003, 01:14 PM
I had lasik done about a year ago at the Lasik Eye Institue in Phoenix. I had a little discomfort the day of the surgery, but was back to normal the next day. Both eyes are 20/15. Make sure you check the doctor out with the local medical board.

MudPumper
12-23-2003, 01:26 PM
Had it done about a year ago, best money I ever spent. Do your homework, ask lots of questions, and yes, just like breast implants, you get what you pay for.

ruggs
12-23-2003, 01:30 PM
my 74 year old father just had this done. He went from pop bottle glasses to 20/20 vision.:)

Stupid Fast
12-23-2003, 03:35 PM
Thanks Everybody. The doctor I would use is on the state lazer board, has 24,000 surgerys since 1997, they have the Visex, Boush & Lomb, and The Ladar. He recomended the B&L. For my vision he said the Ladar would give the same results. The center is LasikPlus. I guess the doctor was one of the Pioneers of the Lasic procedure with Ohio State University. He has also done about 8000 of the original Lazer (no flap) also.
I feel that I am in good hands with him. He spent about an Hour explaining options and answering questions.
With the B&L procedure, If my vision changes they will fix it for life except for presbyopia. I am 28 years old and He said when I turn 40-45 I ill probably need "reader's" Lasik can not fix presbyopia.
Thanks
Again everybody
Eric
P.S. I am not shopping for the best price. I am scared as hell as it is. Hell I don't even go to the cheapest place to get my oil changed for fear they will screw it up.

Infomaniac
12-23-2003, 03:52 PM
Laser?
Lasers are for pussies.
Shit I had my eyes done the manly way.
With a diamond knife. Doctor put a template on my eyes and did them free hand.
Actually they were just beginning to invent the laser proceedure back then 7 or 8 years ago.