PDA

View Full Version : not guilty you around?

gnarley
09-15-2002, 10:15 PM
NG I haven't seen you on the boards latley & have some questions. If your around I might want to call you. I broke my drive coupling :( after the tuneup

not guilty
09-17-2002, 12:22 PM
Yeah, I,m still hangin in here.Between long hours at work and long weekends boating(assisted by coors light) dont get on here a lot.
Drive coupler ehh ? bad news on OMC , they dont make one can handle the HP very well. Dont remember but last we spoke I think I told you about making the new rear housing for my FORD and using a MERC coupler that bolts on the flywheel like a clutch. Has worked well , should be lots easier to do on a CHEV.Let me know if I can be any help, maybe hook up a phone call say like a sunday afternoon.. NG

gnarley
09-18-2002, 07:47 AM
NG, actually it was the double yolk that couples the U-joints together! I had assumed that based on the input from the previous owner that it was in good shape as the drive had been gone through around 60 hours before I bought it. Well it looked like it had NEVER been serviced. The ends of the crosses were no longer round & one looked more egg shaped and very worn where the needles sat on them & didn't rotate. When it blew it also took out part of the flange where the drive bellows or boot clamps on. I think it will be Ok as I rebuilt the flange with Devcon & looks pretty good! Ever heard of this happening?
Well have fun the rest of the season I know its starting to get short for you.
[ September 18, 2002, 08:49 AM: Message edited by: gnarley ]

not guilty
09-18-2002, 01:48 PM
Yeah seen it myself this year. We bought a new (to us ) boat this year, A 1988 27 ft MACH-1 with twin 460 cobras and the same thing happened to our left drive. Didnt tear up my housing in past where the bellow seals so didnt do anything to it . For referrence thoough I do use merc bellows adhesive on mine when I put it together. no leaks !!!!Have fun with your extended season , gotta go get my insulated boating atire out !!
By the way , anybody want to buy a hot rod 23 ft boat out there? Send me a deposit , I could use a vacation !! NG

gnarley
09-18-2002, 02:14 PM
A NEW boat huhh??? Must be doing OK. Well post some picts or send them to me, I want to see.
Anyway I was kind of intimidated before this thing blew & thought I needed marine service to do the repair.... or any work to the outdrive, NOT. I had the whole drive off in 30 minutes & seems easier to work on than my old Volvo 270 but a bit heavier! I even tried to find the U-joints at driveline service & they found them listed in the Rockwell parts list, but no other listings or price so they said they must be special, you know that boat thing "Break Out Another Thousand"
LOL

78Eliminator
09-18-2002, 03:09 PM
hey

Outnumbered
09-19-2002, 12:47 AM
Hey Gnarley, NG, how's it goin'? Been busy at work havn't been on the boards too much. The King Cobra's been good to me this year so far. I figured out my shifting problem. The cable was too long! My so called mechanic couldn't figure it out. I finally got frustrated and tore into it myself and fixed it in about 2 hours. Mechanic told me I needed new cables and a shift rod and all kinds of shit. I cut 1/2 inch off the cable and adjusted it. Voila!
What a crook this guy is. :mad: Anyway, sounds like the coupler is something to check out. Any tips on what to look for before I have one blow out.
:confused:
Sorry for the long post.
OL

gnarley
09-19-2002, 07:46 AM
Old Lavey, if you haven't checked the U-joints don't let them go without an inspection! I was trusting parts I had never seen that could have been easily replaced if necessary. Now I have no choice, cost more to repair & it ended our day early & inconvenienced the people who were kind enough to tow us in & changed plans for the next week! All because I wasn't on the ball & didn't check something I took for granted. NG may have some input on the drive coupler itself. I think he had posted pictures of it or other info & if so he may point them out.
Good luck

not guilty
09-19-2002, 09:48 AM
Old Lavey- If you have the mushroom style coupler (probably) pay close attention to where it bolts on the flywheel for smaal fractures.I,ll try n post a picture of a bad one later.Also check out the rubber to housing for signs of balled up rubber.
Gnarley-when i post pictures later Ill put one of our new toy.If you need I could give you part #,s for NAPA and you could order from them if there is a store near by.Usually much cheaper, just refresh me on what year it is.Should be able to get the u-joints-input shaft (splined end to engine)-center yoke and gaskets.
Let me know .Love helping someone with so much boating season left !!!!!!

gnarley
09-19-2002, 10:45 AM
NG, I couldn't find the (U-jointÂ’s) at my local NAPA store either, they couldn't find the Rockwell #'s or when given the dimensions they really went crazy! Due to time I just bought from a local Volvo marine as my #'s were crossed over being a "94". I got the joints & yolk hung on last night & can stab the drive back in after work & start it this evening :D ! And with the help from one of our fellow board members 058 I got the carb changed over to Boost referencing :D What a piece of cake to do !!! I will also take pictures of it & if anyone needs I will send with the explanation. That guy "Hotcrusader76" wanted $150 each with shipping included, maybe that included disassembly, cleaning 15 minutes to perform the boost reference & a reassemble & gaskets, it just sounds high to me.

Outnumbered
09-19-2002, 10:47 AM
Thanks guys. Gnarley, that sucks that it blew apart on you. Should'nt u-joints get a little noisy before they let go? Also, my father-in-law is a old timer boater and says to be careful with the OMC when starting it since the drive comes up so far. Make sure the drive is down to minimize the angle on the u-joints. You probably know this but just thought I would let ya know.
OL

gnarley
09-19-2002, 01:21 PM
OL, Yeah it sucks but I can do all the repairs for less than the cost of someone else doing an inspection & then the repairs had I done this before I started trusting the damn thing :mad: I have also recently learned about the angles when starting, your input just reinforces its necessity! I wish I would of learned sooner but the damage was done long before I bought it. The only thing I ever heard was some noise when turning & it seems like every O/D I have ever been in made a little noise on hard turns. I did have a very slight vibration that seemed inconsistent & attributed it to the engine running intermittently on 7 as I found a blown head gasket & have since repaired, then it broke when testing after the head gasket had been replaced. :( I don't know if there was any other way for me to know :confused:

not guilty
09-19-2002, 01:52 PM
OK been a while , let me try this
1st- notice cracks at base of stem on coupler
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Forum_Graphic_Depot/coupler1.JPG
2nd-see where center has slipped
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Forum_Graphic_Depot/coupler2.JPG
hope this worked lavey
Darn I,m good......Keep in mind the most frequent problem with couplers is miss alignment. Every time a motor is pulled it should be checked when put back.. NG
[ September 19, 2002, 02:55 PM: Message edited by: not guilty ]

not guilty
09-19-2002, 02:10 PM
Gnarley- not a real good pic , just took a shot of it in its resting place. Ill take some better ones next outing and put up.
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Forum_Graphic_Depot/88_mach.JPG

gnarley
09-19-2002, 02:21 PM
NG, any good info for us on how to check the alignment in the home shop after a reinstall of the engine?

Outnumbered
09-19-2002, 02:33 PM
Gnarley,
Do you have a factory service manual? It is in there. If you don't let me know I will try to get the info on the guy I bought mine from. He is an OMC dealer in Hawaii. Cost me about $60 I think. But it has already paid for itself. Basically, there is a special rod that you slide in where the drive shaft goes I believe. Its like a feeler gage type of proceedure. You adjust the motor until the rod slides smooth. This is just from memory so I may be off. Get the manual to be sure. I'd copy mine but its a different year 1987, may be a different proceedure.
OL

Outnumbered
09-19-2002, 02:40 PM
Thanks for the pix NG, nice boat. Looks real clean.
OL

gnarley
09-19-2002, 02:45 PM
NG, looks nice! :)
OL I do have the full set of Manuals but it seems most times factory manuals expect factory tools!

not guilty
09-19-2002, 03:09 PM
thanks for the roses,boat is immaculate for an 88,thats why we bought it( fact it had twin BBF,s didnt help either)
The tool for alignment I know can be bought from NAPA, its the same for merc & omc , just give counter person part #18-4442-THEY CAN GET IT !
(part # will come up small engines #)