PDA

View Full Version : What's the story on 2 stroke bans?

Tom Brown
12-27-2003, 01:03 PM
I heard 2 stroke engines are banned in some parts of Nevada. What's up? Are the bans going to expand? Is there a time line for more bans?

rude235
12-27-2003, 10:33 PM
no, they have not been banned on mead. the entire thought of it has been dropped (at least for now).

CrazyHippy
12-27-2003, 11:19 PM
Kalifornia has been toying w/ the idea of banning 2-strokes for several years:mad:
As far as i know they have decided on a "star" system.
New 4- strokes and some direct injection 2-strokes are "3 star"
Some 2-strokes are "2 star"
The Hi-Po stuff might have "one star"
A 300 drag is star free :D
I think i might have to get a hot rod 2.5 and slap my 200 efi cowl on it just because the Govt. is being faulking stoopid:yuk:
Some lakes are supposedly only allowing 3 star motors.
Other lakes 2 star or better
And so on.
Just my (out of state) understanding
BJH

HavasuDreamin'
12-30-2003, 06:12 AM
The only lake that I have heard about that is actually enforcing the banning is Lake Tahoe. Doesn't mean a few people don't slip through the cracks here and there, but for the most part, 2-Strokes are banned from using this lake.
I guess my carburated 2.4L Bridgeport running 32:1 synthetic lube gets 1 or 0 stars. :rolleyes:

Rocket2003
12-30-2003, 10:30 AM
They ain't gunna ban them in Texas!:cool:
"I'll give up my Two Stroke, When they pry my cold dead fingers from the steering wheel"!:D

eliminatedsprinter
12-30-2003, 01:00 PM
So far the emphisis has been on stricter requirements on new motors. My boat's an 86 and I've been left alone on our local lakes. As others have stated above, Tahoe is the main place that has banned us off the water. Since strict requirements have been placed on new motors, MTBE's are being removed from our gas, and less than 1% of air pollution is caused by recreational boats anyways, it should now be a non-issue.