View Full Version : Catalina Run 1/3/04

beer hunter
12-27-2003, 01:16 PM
IÂ’m going to try to take the boat over to Catalina on Saturday the 3rd for some breakfast/brunch, (weather permitting) anyone interested in getting salty? I plan to leave from Huntington Harbor around 8:00am :)

Kachina26
12-27-2003, 02:12 PM
I would like to try that run after the boat's finished. That won't be until late Jan or early Feb though. I want to try it with a group, never been in the ocean before.:eek!:

beer hunter
12-27-2003, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Kachina26
I would like to try that run after the boat's finished. That won't be until late Jan or early Feb though. I want to try it with a group, never been in the ocean before.:eek!:
That shouldn't be a problem, most of the Catalina runs I've been on will usually have between 7 to 15 boats. The guys over at RRX seem to have a lot of folks that like the ocean. We'll have to catch you on the next one:)

cola
12-27-2003, 04:57 PM
What about 12/28/03 anyone up for a run.
Late, Mike

Starloans
12-27-2003, 07:13 PM
Cola,
I'm ready to go. Man it sure was nice weather today. Cold but nice. Do you have the scoop on the forecast for tomorrow? I'll take a shot at it.
Dave

cola
12-27-2003, 08:37 PM
I'am thinking about it. I will probably go out of Newport, if we go.
I just had the outdrive serviced & the drive cable replaced. I never trust other people working on my stuff. :mad:
Starloan's if you go what time.
Late, Mike

Starloans
12-27-2003, 09:13 PM
I'm thinking 9-9:30am from Oceanside for me.
I just checked the temp outside here in north San Diego County. It's 39 degrees. SHIT! That's cold! I'm thinking of going out and putting a blanket on my boat! :D
I will go. I don't know if I can get a co-pilot. How bout you? You got any brave riders?
I know how you feel about people working on your shit. Hell, if I change my own oil I have to take the boat to the local lake and drive it before I go on a big trip. I don't even trust myself sometimes! :confused: :D
I bet Faster Daddy will go. He'll go in a blizzard! :D
Let me know.
Dave

Faster Daddy
12-28-2003, 12:32 AM
Sorry guys - not this weekend I'm fighting a cold :frown:
Next week/weekend looks good, just let me know. :cool:

Starloans
12-28-2003, 07:06 AM
Sorry to hear you are under the weather Faster. :( Theres a nasty bug going around. Its pretty damn cold too. I think I'm going to stoke the fire and watch some football. Better yet, I could just go down to Qualcomm today and watch the two most miserable teams in the NFL. Maybe a fight will break out or something to make it interesting. Hope you feel better. I'm up for next weekend if the weather is good. Stay in touch.

Havasu Cig
12-29-2003, 08:07 AM
We were thinking about a run this weekend as well, but the forcast says it will rain:(

MissHavasuCig
12-29-2003, 10:13 AM
Hmmmm... maybe we might get lucky for some boating in the big pond ;)
Tue
Dec 30 Rain / Wind 58°/46° 70 %
Wed
Dec 31 Showers 62°/42° 40 %
Thu
Jan 01 Partly Cloudy 65°/46° 10 %
Fri
Jan 02 Few Showers 64°/46° 30 %
Sat
Jan 03 Partly Cloudy 60°/43° 20 %
Sun
Jan 04 Partly Cloudy 59°/45° 20 %
Mon
Jan 05 Mostly Cloudy 61°/44° 10 %
It's gonna be cold though!!!

Faster Daddy
12-30-2003, 12:15 AM
Cigs,
Saturday or Sunday don't look too bad. I assume your boat is fixed - hope it didn't hurt too bad $$ :( Will you launch from O'side or Dana?
It would be a great way to start the new year :D

Havasu Cig
12-30-2003, 02:29 PM
We just picked up our new truck and have appointments for window tint and Line-X this weekend, so I think we are going to have to put it off.
Hopefully we can go soon.:cool:

beer hunter
12-30-2003, 02:36 PM
Another time I'm sure HC:)

Starloans
12-30-2003, 02:40 PM
Hey Cig,
Any pics of the new rig yet?
I'll go Sat or Sun if the temp is above 50 and no rain. :D

Havasu Cig
12-30-2003, 02:56 PM
Not yet, it only has about 50 miles on it.
2500 HD (Duramax), 4X4, Crew Cab, Short Bed, LT Package in the new silver color. So far so good.;)

Starloans
12-30-2003, 03:49 PM
DURAMAX? :confused:
I thought you were getting a new F350??????????
:D J/K.
I hope everything is going good with that OTHER vehicle.
So, ya gonna lift it? How high?

Havasu Cig
12-30-2003, 03:58 PM
Ford says they will have our check soon. Hopefully that is true.:rolleyes:
I don't know about lifting the new truck. Before we ordered it the GM at the dealership said that it would void the warranty on the Allison. If it was not going to be towing 12,000# I would not worry about it so much.
I think I am going to level the front, and throw some welds and maybe some 295's on it. I would love to go with a 6" lift and some 35's, but i don't need the hassle if it breaks.;)

beer hunter
12-30-2003, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Starloans
I'll go Sat or Sun if the temp is above 50 and no rain. :D
I'll be launching at the Sunset Aquatic Park in Huntington Harbor at about 8:00am (Saturday):) http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/989mapimage.JPG

Starloans
12-30-2003, 04:03 PM
Leveling and some nice wheels and tires will be sweet. Better off with out the worry of a big lift. Post some pics when you get a chance. Good luck with the new ride.

Havasu Cig
12-30-2003, 04:11 PM
Thanks....
BH, Have fun in Catalina, and be careful.;)

Starloans
12-30-2003, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by beer hunter
I'll be launching at the Sunset Aquatic Park in Huntington Harbor at about 8:00am (Saturday):) http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/989mapimage.JPG
Damn, why so early???????? I need my beauty sleep! :D
I was looking to leave 9-9:30 from Oceanside.
Hey Faster, you wanna go? Cola? Cig? Anybody????

MissHavasuCig
12-30-2003, 05:05 PM
Hey Faster, you wanna go? Cola? Cig? Anybody????
We've gotta take my truck to LineX @ 9AM on Saturday ... :(
I wish we could go... but we've got to do chores...
Have Fun!!!
FASTER ~ The damage $$$ was totally covered by the extended warranties we had purchased (Yeah!).... the tricky part is still getting out of Teague without buying lots of goodies! :p

Faster Daddy
12-30-2003, 05:26 PM
Starloans,
Saturday 9:30 Oceanside sounds good. I'm going to hold you to that - 50+ degrees and not raining, how about heavy fog, drizzle? J/K :D
MIssCig,
Glad to hear your warranty paid off and I look forward to seeing you guys out on the pond.
Happy New Years everyone! :cool:

Starloans
12-30-2003, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Faster Daddy
Starloans,
Saturday 9:30 Oceanside sounds good. I'm going to hold you to that - 50+ degrees and not raining, how about heavy fog, drizzle? J/K :D
MIssCig,
Glad to hear your warranty paid off and I look forward to seeing you guys out on the pond.
Happy New Years everyone! :cool:
Faster, make sure you always take my time estimates and add a half hour! :D

UnionJack
12-31-2003, 02:26 PM
How fast can you get there?

CA Stu
12-31-2003, 03:11 PM
It's about 29 miles from Huntington Harbor or Newport to Avalon. About 24 from San Pedro, about 35 from Dana Point. Time to cross depends on wind and swells more than anything else for me.
If you ever do decide to go over to Catalina solo (I have done it a few times from Newport and Dana Point), it's not really that big of a deal. To be safe, just take a GPS, your life jacket, a cell phone, and a hand held VHF radio. That way no matter what, you can call in the cavalry.
Seems to me that most days you make a trip over there, there's enough boat traffic that if you were to have problems, someone would be buy to help you out eventually...
Have fun
CA Stu

Faster Daddy
12-31-2003, 04:10 PM
Posted by UNIONJACK:
How fast can you get there?
54 miles from O'side to Avalon. How long depends on how many beer breaks you take. :D Usually a little rougher/slower going over and faster coming back. Say about 1 hour with a couple of breaks. :cool:
Are you thinking of going?

Starloans
01-01-2004, 07:19 PM
So are we going this weekend?
Looks like rain for sure Friday. Partly cloudy Sat. Sun looks possible.
How about a Sat afternoon run over spend the night and come back Sun? Or Sat or Sun lunch run ??????????????

Faster Daddy
01-01-2004, 11:05 PM
I want to go Saturday, day-trip only though, gotta watch my neices on Saturday night. Sounds like it should be clearing up Saturday AM. Maybe a later start 10:30 or so and then lunch on the Island. My wife and oldest daughter plan to come along this trip.
Lets see what this next storm does. Since the weather men are not expecting much rain it will probably pour! :eek:
Dave, I'll give you a call Fri night.

Starloans
01-01-2004, 11:18 PM
Sounds like a plan to me. I'm ready to ride. :D

NashvilleBound
01-02-2004, 05:48 AM
Faster Daddy, Are you taking your 24 footer? Your going to make me look bad if you go and I dont....size matters ya know.
Starloans, Your 28' Extremes the deep V right? I am still considering that for our next ride. What kind of power pushing? Be nice to ride in one to make sure I like it. (subliminal hint) :D
You guys have a good time...NB

Starloans
01-02-2004, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by NashvilleBound
Faster Daddy, Are you taking your 24 footer? Your going to make me look bad if you go and I dont....size matters ya know.
Starloans, Your 28' Extremes the deep V right? I am still considering that for our next ride. What kind of power pushing? Be nice to ride in one to make sure I like it. (subliminal hint) :D
You guys have a good time...NB
Nashville, check your other thread. You are welcome to ride this weekend. Looks like 9-9:30 from Oside ramp
I have 28 ft vee mid cabin. hp525, no blower.
BTW, you need to go this weekend. The San Diego boat show is next weekend. So lets go!

NashvilleBound
01-02-2004, 01:52 PM
Are any of the performance boat builders even going to be there? Last few years there has been less and less. We always go to the LA show next month. We'll see what the weather has in store for us tomorrow first thing. If you were going on Sunday I would be able to go for sure. Either way thanks for the offer. Going to check the "Other" thread now....

Faster Daddy
01-02-2004, 04:30 PM
Posted by NashvilleBound
Yup. :cool: The Lavey loves the bumps, flys level and lands soft!

Faster Daddy
01-02-2004, 05:59 PM
Latest check of Marine weather conditions. Its gonna be a fairly bumpy ride Sat but look at Mon - Wed (might have to skip work one of those days)
COASTAL WATERS FROM SAN MATEO POINT TO THE MEXICAN BORDER AND OUT
30 NM-
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SAN DIEGO CA
230 PM PST FRI JAN 2 2004
TONIGHT...SE WINDS 10 TO 15 KT...BECOMING W 10 TO 15 KT... WIND WAVES 2 FT. SWELL W 3 FT AT 14 SECONDS. SCATTERED SHOWERS.
SAT...NW WIND 10 TO 20 KT... WIND WAVES 2 FT... W SWELL 4 FT AT 13 SECONDS. ISOLATED MORNING SHOWERS.
SAT NIGHT...NW WIND 10 TO 15 KT...BECOMING N 10 KT AFTER MIDNIGHT WIND WAVES 1 FT. W SWELL 4 FT AT 12 SECONDS.
SUN...WIND VARIABLE LESS THAN 10 KT...BECOMING NW 10 KT IN THE AFTERNOON. WIND WAVES 1 FT OR LESS. W SWELL 4 FT.
SUN NIGHT...WIND E 5 TO 10 KT... WIND WAVES 1 FT OR LESS... W SWELL 3 FT.
MON...WIND E 5 TO 10 KT...BECOMING NW 10 KT IN THE AFTERNOON... WIND WAVES 1 FT OR LESS. SWELL W 2 FT.
TUE...WIND VARIABLE LESS THAN 10 KT...BECOMING W 10 KT IN THE AFTERNOON. WIND WAVES 1 FT. SWELL W 2 FT.
WED...WIND VARIABLE LESS THAN 10 KT...BECOMING W 10 KT IN THE AFTERNOON. WIND WAVES 1 FT. SWELL W 2 FT.
See ya at the ramp :D

Starloans
01-02-2004, 06:22 PM
Damn that looks a little shitty. I might spill my beer! :D

cola
01-02-2004, 06:53 PM
If it's not raining in the AM I'll be on my way from Newport @ 8:00 or 8:30 & well stay the night. It's coming down pretty hard right now. (909) 377-6110 call if anyone is up for a run.
Later, Mike&Kim

NashvilleBound
01-02-2004, 08:52 PM
Little bumpy....sheeeeet. Lets just wait till next weekend when we can all play?????
Do they ever report anything less than 1-2 foot? Looks pretty standard.

Faster Daddy
01-02-2004, 09:36 PM
Little bumpy....sheeeeet. Lets just wait till next weekend when we can all play?????
Do they ever report anything less than 1-2 foot? Looks pretty standard.
Don't let the size of the swell scare you. Check the swell interval and and wind wave size, this is the important stuff. Intervals of 12-15 seconds make for a pretty good ride heading into the swell. Its the wind waves that will make it rough. For example:
Large swell + short interval time and big wind waves = rough ride. Big swell (6-10') at 15 seconds and no wind just like driving a road with big dips. Sat/Sunday look pretty mild - probably good for a 30-40+ mph cruise without getting beat up (in my ride). Mon-Wed looks like a lake.
Cola - I'll be looking for you in Avalon.
Looks like a cold morning so I think I'll bring some bloody marys to warm everyone up. :D

Starloans
01-02-2004, 11:48 PM
Faster, just got home and got your message. I'm game. You think the roads will be dry by launch time? Still drizzle here. I'll call you in the am.
Right now I'm thinking 10am at the ramp.
BTW big swells + no wind waves + long interval times = puking over the side! :D :D :D
Dave

cola
01-03-2004, 05:53 PM
Faster & Starloans, we headed for Catalina @ 11:00 out of Newport. Out a couple of miles & could't find a rhythm. By then we were soaked. The wind was blowing a full flag in the harbor.
We turned around and went to lunch at Woody's. After a couple of beers it was back to the trailer & wash up the boat. Had the suitcase in tow, we were going to come back Sunday. We'll try next time.
Later, Mike&Kim:(

Starloans
01-03-2004, 06:33 PM
Damn Cola, that sounds shitty. Sorry the trip was a bust. Faster called me this morning about 9 to say the wind forcast had been increased by 10 knots to 30. Sounded too crappy plus it was still drizzle at my house. I think we are going to try a day trip tomorrow. Faster is pretty sharp with the weather forecast. I pretty much go with his call.
But then again, what you described was perfect boating weather for Faster Daddy! :eek!:
I will make a note of your phone # and we can coordinate in the future and all hook up.
It really has been shitty weather here in paradise the past month or two. It has to get better soon. :cry:
Listen to this SoCal redsident bitch about January temps below 60, wind and rain! :D
BTW, how do you winterize a boat? :confused:

cola
01-04-2004, 03:58 PM
Faster, did you go today. How was the trip?
Later, Mike

Havasu Cig
01-04-2004, 06:03 PM
I was down at O'Side harbor today and the water was extremely flat, would have been a good day to run.
All I saw was fishing boat trailers though, so I doubt Faster went.

Faster Daddy
01-04-2004, 11:11 PM
Wife and kids had other plans for me today :( I'm hoping that the weather does'nt change much I'm gonna try Monday afternoon if I can get away from work or Tuesday.
Mike - sorry to hear about your trip Saturday, I checked the national weather service site and they changed their forcast early Saturday morn to a small craft advisory. I'm sure that wasn't much fun.
If anyone wants to go next Sunday let me know.

NashvilleBound
01-05-2004, 09:06 AM
When so you think a few of you will try it again? And...do you think a sea strainer is mandatory equipment?

Havasu Cig
01-05-2004, 10:55 AM
I would definitely recommend a Strainer. it will probably save you an impellar (or two).

Starloans
01-05-2004, 12:27 PM
Well the weather has sucked lately and when I got up yesterday it was still sucking. But by noon it was pretty nice. I borrowed a prop and haven't had a chance to test it so I decided to go down to the San Diego bay and take a few laps by myself. Just me and the sail boats. Pretty much ran from the navy base to the tip of Point Loma about 5 times. I will have to say it was cold but the water was perfect, not too choppy and not too sticky. Just one problem...I should have brought the handheld GPS.
Well it looks like the 28 with the stock HP525, labbed 28, cool conditions, 5200rpm, sea level and a tail wind is the right setup for these conditions.
Now, who has an idea what the difference will be at Havasu, 110* and 4 people will be? The 28 is a loaner with the option to purchase. Currently I'm running a 26. Is it worth buying the 28?
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/438Spedo1-med.jpg

Faster Daddy
01-05-2004, 03:18 PM
When so you think a few of you will try it again? And...do you think a sea strainer is mandatory equipment?
I don't think you'll have any problems, used to run my old boat all the time without one. However, once you get out there you'll probably get hooked on boating the big pond and will probably want to get one down the road.

Faster Daddy
01-05-2004, 03:22 PM
Well the weather has sucked lately and when I got up yesterday it was still sucking. But by noon it was pretty nice. I borrowed a prop and haven't had a chance to test it so I decided to go down to the San Diego bay and take a few laps by myself. Just me and the sail boats. Pretty much ran from the navy base to the tip of Point Loma about 5 times. I will have to say it was cold but the water was perfect, not too choppy and not too sticky. Just one problem...I should have brought the handheld GPS.
Well it looks like the 28 with the stock HP525, labbed 28, cool conditions, 5200rpm, sea level and a tail wind is the right setup for these conditions.
Now, who has an idea what the difference will be at Havasu, 110* and 4 people will be? The 28 is a loaner with the option to purchase. Currently I'm running a 26. Is it worth buying the 28?
I think with just getting me out of the boat you probably picked up that xtra 2 mph. LOL
80 looks good on that speedo :D

Starloans
01-05-2004, 03:36 PM
I don't know if it was the extra person so much as the water conditions. We never got to make a decent run at San V. Man, it was just right yesterday. Do those GPS spedos stop on 80 or does the needle keep moving around the dial? looks like 81 to me but is it accurate above 80?
Is the extra 3 mph worth the $650 prop? I think the hot weather will change all this anyway. :D

Havasu Cig
01-05-2004, 04:12 PM
3 MPH for $650. is a bargain:D
BTW: Any sailboaters flip you off. Last time we ran down there we were with a 42 Fountain with 900 sc's and dry exhaust. Some of the blow boaters were not to happy.:D

Faster Daddy
01-05-2004, 05:41 PM
I don't know if it was the extra person so much as the water conditions. We never got to make a decent run at San V. Man, it was just right yesterday. Do those GPS spedos stop on 80 or does the needle keep moving around the dial? looks like 81 to me but is it accurate above 80?
Is the extra 3 mph worth the $650 prop? I think the hot weather will change all this anyway. :D
Looks close enough to 81, thats what I'd claim :D
and Hell ya! pick up that prop we still have a few more cool months ahead of us and I'd like to run down in the bay. I'll take pics as you blow by. :eek:
Next November you'll be wishin you got it just to remember what 81 felt like.

Starloans
01-05-2004, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Havasu Cig
3 MPH for $650. is a bargain:D
BTW: Any sailboaters flip you off. Last time we ran down there we were with a 42 Fountain with 900 sc's and dry exhaust. Some of the blow boaters were not to happy.:D
LOL! I don't know if they were flipping me off or what but if they were they were flipping off the back of my head because that's all they could see! I really didn't pay any attention. It was actually kinda fun threading the needle with the sail boats. I really didn't get too close to any of them and I wasn't driving crazy. LOL. I'll have to pay more attention next time. That's funny.
I'll probably go ahead and get the prop. Nothing like having access to your absolute limit! :D

WILD LAVEY
01-06-2004, 01:25 AM
blow boaters! ive got a better name for those guys W A F I 's
wind assisted freakin idiots.:D

Havasu Cig
01-06-2004, 08:28 AM
My other half was waving at one of the blow boaters and I asked what she was doing. She looked at me confused and said she was waiving back. I told her the guy was flipping us off, not waiving at us. It was pretty funny.:D

hurleyr
01-06-2004, 09:02 AM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/438Spedo1-med.jpg [/B][/QUOTE]
80+ MPH @ zero RPMs now thats impressive! :rolleyes:

Starloans
01-06-2004, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by hurleyr
80+ MPH @ zero RPMs now thats impressive! :rolleyes: [/B][/QUOTE]
Actually, I put the boat on the trailer,turned the key on and drove on the freeway to get that speed :yuk:
I was a bit busy at 80mph to take pictures especially by myself. I didn't want to take out any BLOW BOATERS! I learned a new phrase. BLOW BOATERS. LOL. Went to bed laughing about that one last night.
That's why I used the GPS spedo recall at the dock you GOOBER! :yuk: What kind of spedo do you have on your rig? A little paddle wheel hanging off the back of your boat? :rolleyes:

hurleyr
01-06-2004, 11:15 AM
LOL, thats funny. You know, I'm just trying to stir the pot. That sounds like a real nice rig.
Actually, I wet my thumb and stick it in the air. It gives me a good 2-5 MPH gain over GPS. :D

Starloans
01-06-2004, 11:23 AM
What engine do you have in your Ultra?

C-2
01-06-2004, 12:28 PM
Geesh, finally an enjoyable thread about boating!!! :)
We saw somebody heading home on the 55 North, Sunday evening, 28' Sleekcraft.

hurleyr
01-06-2004, 01:56 PM
It has the 377HP Scorpion. I was originally looking for a big block but have herd good things about this motor. I'll go big block if this one craters. On a good day I can get +/- 74 MPH WOT thumb gauge. :D
Actually, I think Ultra's estimate is +/-70. I think my speedo is just being friendly. I'm afraid to check with a GPS it may burst my bubble. :frown:

Starloans
01-06-2004, 02:14 PM
377???????????!!!!!!!!!!!!
You big block traitor! You belong in the outboard forums!!!!!!! :D
74mph????????? You really do have the paddle wheel in the water! :eek:
Let me know if you REALLY want to know the top speed of your boat. I'm happy to let you use the handheld. :D :D
You can come down to SD and we can wreak havoc on the BLOW BOATERS!!! LOL Still think Cig is a crack up. My GF would have been doing the same thing waving at the blow boaters!

hurleyr
01-06-2004, 02:28 PM
LOL, Bigger isn't better. At least thats what I tell her. :)
And, I'll stick to the thumb gauge for now thanks. :p
I would like to hook up with you guys on one of those Catalina runs. I've run out of Newport, however with a much deeper V than my Ultra. It can get rough. I may wait until summer to head out of Ventura with my sled.
Mine may be "small" but it's "short" too. :confused:

Havasu Cig
01-06-2004, 03:02 PM
Went home for lunch and I could see catalina from the top of my road. I was thinking I would rather be out there.:D

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
01-06-2004, 06:30 PM
is any one going this saturday

cola
01-06-2004, 06:33 PM
2' swells on Wed. anyone calling in sick.
Late, Mike

hurleyr
01-06-2004, 06:43 PM
I drove up the coast today (Vt - Santa Barbara). It was glass all day. Could see the arch on Anacapa from SB. :(

NashvilleBound
01-06-2004, 07:16 PM
What is the forecast for the swells this weekend? I would be game to launch out of Oceanside...howa bout it??? Hurleyr? FasterDaddy? StarLoans?
I'm still having a problem that I have never seen a DCB in Escondido....I run in and around there every day.

Havasu Luvr
01-06-2004, 07:57 PM
I'm heading to Catalina this Sat. Taken one of my River Girls" for her B-day. Looks like mid 70's for saturday, lets hope the forcast holds up. Launching out of Newport Dunes around 9am......

beer hunter
01-06-2004, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by Havasu Luvr
I'm heading to Catalina this Sat. Taken one of my River Girls" for her B-day. Looks like mid 70's for saturday, lets hope the forcast holds up. Launching out of Newport Dunes around 9am......
HL, I opted out last weekend due to the water conditions but I may be up for a run on Saturday:) What time would you be heading out? I should know for sure by tomorrow :)

Havasu Luvr
01-06-2004, 08:12 PM
Hey Mike, good to see your still alive. What a party @ the Sandbar the last time we hooked up. Where did those girls come from..;) I am planning on launching around 9am, should put us on the island approx 10 - 11am. Looking forward to have a brewsky with ya

Starloans
01-06-2004, 08:44 PM
I drove up the coast today (Vt - Santa Barbara). It was glass all day. Could see the arch on Anacapa from SB. :(
Ok, let me SPLAIN something to you boys. 200' above and 1/2 mile from the ocean everything looks real peaceful out there. It's hard to see 3' swells from that far and if the swells are real close sets things are very different from what they appear. Not to blow my horn here but my sailing experience consist of my rec boating as well as 10 years in the Navy. OK, I'm blowing my horn, BFD.
However, I leave the marine forecast to the local expert and I recommend you check with him too........The Marine Forcast from the National Weather Service AKA Faster Daddy! :D :D :D
Nashville, I was hoping not to have to address this issue but my boat is out of commish. I dropped it off at Dave's yesterday. As it turns out the dealer needed a 28 for the San Diego boat show and I got the call being so close. Hey, it was a free detail!!!!!! :D They even offered to fix the dock scuff and do a service. Didn't think twice about it!!!! You know it'll be clean.
Now if you've never seen my boat that's cause I don't normally drive around town with it, specially in Escondido. Someone will try to turn it into a low rider. :D However it does live about 2 miles west of North County Fair mall off Via Rancho Pkwy. Faster can vouch. BTW, you can also see it at the convention center this weekend. :D

WILD LAVEY
01-06-2004, 09:32 PM
i hope the weather holds up for this weekend. ill be out there on sunday, launching from davis. anybody else goin out sunday?

Faster Daddy
01-06-2004, 10:57 PM
Went home for lunch and I could see catalina from the top of my road. I was thinking I would rather be out there.:D
I could see it from Fallbrook :eek: So I hooked up the boat, called a buddy and motored out of the harbor at 2:00 pm. Check out the photos :D
Heading for the Island
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1102Catalina1.JPG
Leaving O'side behind
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1102Catalina2.JPG
My buddy Jeffs first time behind the wheel - He'll be at Lavey w/checkbook in the AM.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1102Catalina3.JPG
Avalon
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1102Catalina4.JPG
and some of the other boat traffic
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1102Catalina5.JPG
As you can tell it was a great day for a run! There was an unbelivable sunset and great dolphin show! The sun set as we watched the dolphins and the last 25 miles we ran in the dark.
Hope the weather sucks this bad again tomorro :eek: cause I'll be right back out there! and if anyone wants to go Sunday (Saturday my wife has already planned for me) let me know. Hope you enjoy the photos.

NashvilleBound
01-07-2004, 05:58 AM
Ok, let me SPLAIN something to you boys. 200' above and 1/2 mile from the ocean everything looks real peaceful out there. It's hard to see 3' swells from that far and if the swells are real close sets things are very different from what they appear. Not to blow my horn here but my sailing experience consist of my rec boating as well as 10 years in the Navy. OK, I'm blowing my horn, BFD.
However, I leave the marine forecast to the local expert and I recommend you check with him too........The Marine Forcast from the National Weather Service AKA Faster Daddy! :D :D :D
Nashville, I was hoping not to have to address this issue but my boat is out of commish. I dropped it off at Dave's yesterday. As it turns out the dealer needed a 28 for the San Diego boat show and I got the call being so close. Hey, it was a free detail!!!!!! :D They even offered to fix the dock scuff and do a service. Didn't think twice about it!!!! You know it'll be clean.
Now if you've never seen my boat that's cause I don't normally drive around town with it, specially in Escondido. Someone will try to turn it into a low rider. :D However it does live about 2 miles west of North County Fair mall off Via Rancho Pkwy. Faster can vouch. BTW, you can also see it at the convention center this weekend. :D
Well I didn't quite think you cruised Valley with it:rolleyes: Figured you were on the outskirts.... Too bad, it looks like this weekends gonna be real rice and I am sure not going by myself for my first trip.

NashvilleBound
01-07-2004, 06:00 AM
I could see it from Fallbrook :eek: So I hooked up the boat, called a buddy and motored out of the harbor at 2:00 pm. Check out the photos :D
Heading for the Island
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1102Catalina1.JPG
Leaving O'side behind
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1102Catalina2.JPG
My buddy Jeffs first time behind the wheel - He'll be at Lavey w/checkbook in the AM.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1102Catalina3.JPG
Avalon
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1102Catalina4.JPG
and some of the other boat traffic
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1102Catalina5.JPG
As you can tell it was a great day for a run! There was an unbelivable sunset and great dolphin show! The sun set as we watched the dolphins and the last 25 miles we ran in the dark.
Hope the weather sucks this bad again tomorro :eek: cause I'll be right back out there! and if anyone wants to go Sunday (Saturday my wife has already planned for me) let me know. Hope you enjoy the photos.
I'm all good with Sunday. Lets see how the weather looks on Fridays forecast.

Havasu Cig
01-07-2004, 08:02 AM
We are thinking about going next weekend. This weekend the weather should be great, but I have to much stuff going on. We might get a guest dock in O'side so we can leave it over night.

Havasu Cig
01-07-2004, 08:05 AM
FD,
Great pictures by the way.
SL,
Make sure they don't f@#k up your trailer. Dave took our first Mach to the L.A. boat show and the trailer came back with some chips in the paint. I think it was from the lot where they parked all the trailers.

hurleyr
01-07-2004, 09:32 AM
Nash,
Thanks for the invite, unfortunately I'll be hooked up fairly well for the next few weeks. Making up for taking nearly a month off in December. I would like to try it some time though. If you have never done the Catalina run, something else to consider with your rig is fuel capacity. It would be a bum deal to head out and find youÂ’re out of gas or have to turn back early due to low fuel.
In response to that guy that doesnt have a boat, aka starloans: :D
"IÂ’m not claiming to be an expert by any means, but after working nearly 20 years offshore California, living on the coast my entire life, surfing, and having experience both flying and boating in severe weather and personally spending time on each and every platform on the Pacific Coast (some Gulf Coast 100+ miles out) I do have a general understanding of the offshore environment."
vs.
"rec boating as well as 10 years in the Navy"
You callin me boy with a D*%$ twice as hard as Chinese arithmetic? Stop blowing your horn. :yuk:
Restated with some credibility:
"It was glass all day" brother!!!!!!!!!!!!
PS:
You of all people should know the difference between being a Navy squid (which doesnÂ’t qualify you for d%#$) riding on a huge vessel vs. our rides. Besides, IÂ’ve seen many, so called, Navy boyÂ’s trying to make it in the oil patch yack off the back of an offshore crew boat. ItÂ’s entirely different!!!!
Stirrin the pot!!!!!!!!
:D :D :D

hurleyr
01-07-2004, 09:42 AM
Awesome pics Daddy! It looks mighty glassy! :cool:

beer hunter
01-07-2004, 09:49 AM
"IÂ’m not claiming to be an expert by any means, but after working nearly 20 years offshore California, living on the coast my entire life, surfing, and having experience both flying and boating in severe weather and personally spending time on each and every platform on the Pacific Coast (some Gulf Coast 100+ miles out) I do have a general understanding of the offshore environment."
vs.
You callin me boy with a D*%$ twice as hard as Chinese arithmatic? Stop blowing your horn. :yuk:
PS:
You of all people should know the difference between being a Navy squid (which doesnÂ’t qualify you for d%#$) riding on a huge vessel vs. our rides. Besides, IÂ’ve seen many, so called, Navy boyÂ’s trying to make it in the oil patch yack off the back of an offshore crew boat. ItÂ’s entirely different!!!!
Stirrin the pot!!!!!!!!
LMAO:D......Someone needed to respond to that sh!t:D

beer hunter
01-07-2004, 10:05 AM
Faster Daddy, Have you ever had any problems getting out of Oceanside Harbor with the swells that roll through the inlet sometimes? I used to take the Waverunners out of OS Harbor all the time to play in the surf in front of Camp Pendlelton:)

Faster Daddy
01-07-2004, 10:19 AM
Faster Daddy, Have you ever had any problems getting out of Oceanside Harbor with the swells that roll through the inlet sometimes? I used to take the Waverunners out of OS Harbor all the time to play in the surf in front of Camp Pendlelton:)
Honestly I havn't had to deal with it yet, but I do know what your talking about. I've seen waves rollin into the mouth of the harbor, and the only time I went out in conditions like that was on a 40' sport fisher which just rolled right through. Hope I never see on my trips.
HavasuCig probably has more experience with it, maybe? :confused:

Havasu Cig
01-07-2004, 11:47 AM
Not in the Cig, but I used to run a little 18' center consol, and a 21' cuddy cabing fishing boat out of there. If it is really bad you probably don't want to be out there, but you can always wait until there is an interval in the swells and nail the throttle.
I have seen a couple of Blow Boats get smashed into the jetty trying to make it in though:D

Starloans
01-07-2004, 12:09 PM
Nash,
Thanks for the invite, unfortunately I'll be hooked up fairly well for the next few weeks. Making up for taking nearly a month off in December. I would like to try it some time though. If you have never done the Cataliona run, something else to consider with your rig is fuel capacity. It would be a bum deal to head out and find youÂ’re out of gas or have to turn back early due to low fuel.
vs.
You callin me boy with a D*%$ twice as hard as Chinese arithmatic? Stop blowing your horn. :yuk:
PS:
Stirrin the pot!!!!!!!!
Hurley, stop blowing your horn. Sounds like ya claiming to be an expert!!!! Damn I thought I was the expert.
You're just in denial about your spedo! :D If you go out this weekend I'll let you borrow my GPS!!!!! But I know you won't. You're afraid if ya see the real deal you'll have to start working on your boat. It's normal behavior you know to chase that ever elusive next MPH. So tell the wife you now wear the pants and lets go, boy. Besides, I need a ride this weekend! :D
Cig, thanks for the info. I'm hoping it will be in better shape when I pick it up than when I drop it off.
Nashville, just go with Faster to Catalina. The guy can drive there blindfolded.
Nice pics Faster Daddy. I wish I had your job!!! :D

hurleyr
01-07-2004, 12:20 PM
LOL, its one thing to cap on my manlihood another to cap on my speedo.
I love my speedo man!!! :D
In all seriousness, I haven't worn the pants for a long time now but it doesn't stop me from boatin. I could probably pull off two weeks from this Saturday but still need to leave time for the LA boat show starting that weekend. If I could stop jaw jacking on the HB forum maybe I'll get some work done.

Starloans
01-07-2004, 12:36 PM
Hurley, how do you like the closed bow? Do have anything up there like seats, fridge, potty, etc? What prop do you have.
I use to have a '97 Extreme 24 which I believe the same hull as yours. I had the open bow, walk through. It was pretty nice. Saw the guy that bought it last year at Havasu. He loves it. Had stock 454mag, 385hp, 24 4 blade. In the river down wind, down stream by myself I got 67 with the paddle wheel and 72 & change on GPS. Never checked it with the thumb. :D

NashvilleBound
01-07-2004, 03:13 PM
Well Faster Daddy...How about it? Sunday? And speaking of fuel I hold 50 gallons...I am assuming we can top off on the island too???? I also have someone that has a new 20ft Placecaft that wanted to go if everyone goes. I was working on those 3 new homes in Carlsbad today that are right on the water just south of the power plant....Looked extremely flat all day.

beer hunter
01-07-2004, 03:39 PM
Here's a link (http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/sandiego/marine/marine.shtml) to the web site I use to get the latest marine conditions:)

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
01-07-2004, 04:15 PM
Havasu Luvr, I'm also going to launch out of Newport Dunes Saturday around 830 or 900 with three other boats. Maybe we can hook up and all ride over together.

Faster Daddy
01-07-2004, 04:20 PM
Well Faster Daddy...How about it? Sunday? And speaking of fuel I hold 50 gallons...I am assuming we can top off on the island too???? I also have someone that has a new 20ft Placecaft that wanted to go if everyone goes. I was working on those 3 new homes in Carlsbad today that are right on the water just south of the power plant....Looked extremely flat all day.
See you at the ramp 9:30 - 10:00. :D
50 gallons should be more than enough - I ran on less than 40 yesterday, but there is a fuel dock if needed. Bring your friend along should be a great day.
Starloans, I need a bartender if you want to go for a ride :D

Havasu Luvr
01-07-2004, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by SHAKE-YO-AZZ
Havasu Luvr, I'm also going to launch out of Newport Dunes Saturday around 830 or 900 with three other boats. Maybe we can hook up and all ride over together.
Shake Yo Azz, check your PM. Lets do it:D , let me know if my schedule works with your group

Starloans
01-07-2004, 09:19 PM
50 gallons should be more than enough - I ran on less than 40 yesterday, but there is a fuel dock if needed. Bring your friend along should be a great day.
Faster, I would love to go. But only if alcohol is involved! :D
Actually, I was going to see if I could get hurley to go and ride with him so I could hide my GPS in my pocket. :)
What kind of beer do you like?............never mind. :cool:
Blow Boaters.......that shit still makes me laugh. LOL.

hurleyr
01-07-2004, 09:28 PM
Hurley, how do you like the closed bow? Do have anything up there like seats, fridge, potty, etc? What prop do you have.
I use to have a '97 Extreme 24 which I believe the same hull as yours. I had the open bow, walk through. It was pretty nice. Saw the guy that bought it last year at Havasu. He loves it. Had stock 454mag, 385hp, 24 4 blade. In the river down wind, down stream by myself I got 67 with the paddle wheel and 72 & change on GPS. Never checked it with the thumb. :D
I like it! Room for the litte squirts to get out of the sun. I may wish I had the open bow when they get older. It's the basic bench seats facing each other with a bed up front. The prop is a merc lab 23 4 blade. Its good on the top, but a bit of a dog out of the hole. I'm considering a new one. Does anyone have a good recommendation for pushing a 24/7 with 377HP?

NashvilleBound
01-08-2004, 05:41 AM
Faster Daddy: Got your PM. I will be there before 9:30 to make sure I find everything ok. Never launched out of Oceanside. If Starloans is going I can pick him up on my way through Escondido and that way I have someone that has a clue on where to go as well.

NashvilleBound
01-08-2004, 05:47 AM
I like it! Room for the litte squirts to get out of the sun. I may wish I had the open bow when they get older. It's the basic bench seats facing each other with a bed up front. The prop is a merc lab 23 4 blade. Its good on the top, but a bit of a dog out of the hole. I'm considering a new one. Does anyone have a good recommendation for pushing a 24/7 with 377HP?
Hurleyr: You NEED to go! Come on...2-247's running next to each other....I'm bring my cameras to get all the action too. I want to get my sled out of the water for some action shots. On the way back of course. Or should I not be talking about this quite yet???? ;) I am glad I got the open bow for the reasons you stated. Kids are always up there enjoying the ride. (10 and 12)
Wife refuses to go so I have an open spot as well. Big cooler and 3 guys should be a good ride.:D :D
Call me today and let me know the latest...
619-980-0426 Jeff

Havasu Cig
01-08-2004, 08:31 AM
Hope you guys have a good time. Let me know if anybody is up for next Saturday. I want to launch out of O'side if I can find a spot to park the truck & trailer.:cool:

hurleyr
01-08-2004, 09:01 AM
Hurleyr: You NEED to go! Come on...2-247's running next to each other....I'm bring my cameras to get all the action too. I want to get my sled out of the water for some action shots. On the way back of course. Or should I not be talking about this quite yet???? ;) I am glad I got the open bow for the reasons you stated. Kids are always up there enjoying the ride. (10 and 12)
Wife refuses to go so I have an open spot as well. Big cooler and 3 guys should be a good ride.:D :D
Call me today and let me know the latest...
619-980-0426 Jeff
You guys are killin me! There is nothing I would rather do than meet you all out there this weekend, unfortunately I have to put some bread back in the basket over the next few weeks. :( :( :(
Do ya think the wife would be willin to get a job to support my boat habit?
You guys have fun out there and take lots of pictures for us home bodies.

hurleyr
01-08-2004, 09:03 AM
I drove the VT - SB coast again this morning it still looks nice, small swells and looking glassy. :cool:

beer hunter
01-08-2004, 02:32 PM
I'm in as long as the wind chop remains small, but the swell is building:D Here is the latest forecast:smilespi: :smilespi: :smilespi:
PZZ655-090500-
INNER WATERS FROM POINT MUGU TO SAN MATEO POINT-
300 PM PST THU JAN 8 2004
.TONIGHT...VARIABLE WIND 10 KT. WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS. W SWELL 4
TO 6 FT AT 11 SECONDS.
.FRI...E WIND 10 KT...BECOMING SW IN THE AFTERNOON. WIND WAVES 2 FT
OR LESS. W SWELL 3 TO 5 FT AT 12 SECONDS.
.FRI NIGHT...WIND VARIABLE 10 KT OR LESS. WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS. W
SWELL 5 TO 7 FT AT 11 SECONDS.
.SAT...NE WIND 10 KT IN THE MORNING...BECOMING VARIABLE 10 KT OR
LESS. WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS. W SWELL 6 TO 8 FT.
.SAT NIGHT...WIND VARIABLE 10 KT OR LESS. WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS. W
SWELL 6 TO 8 FT.
.SUN...WIND VARIABLE 10 KT OR LESS. WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS. W SWELL
5 TO 7 FT.
.SUN NIGHT...WIND VARIABLE 10 KT OR LESS. WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS. W
SWELL 4 TO 6 FT.
.MON...WIND VARIABLE 10 KT OR LESS. WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS. W SWELL
7 TO 9 FT.
.TUE...WIND VARIABLE 10 KT OR LESS. WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS. W SWELL
8 TO 10 FT.
Weather Link (http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/sandiego/marine/marine.shtml)

NashvilleBound
01-08-2004, 02:39 PM
So since I have no clue is 5-7 foot swells bad???? 10KT wind??? Good?? bad??

rivercrazy
01-08-2004, 02:47 PM
What you want to watch is the swell height and interval. The longer the interval the better. 13-14 second intervals are pretty well spaced apart.
What I'd be more concerned about is the wind waves. 2 foot wind waves coupled with 7 foot swells and 15 mph winds will be pretty rough.
Its the wind wave that cause it to be pretty sloppy and the 247 is not that big of a boat
Heres a pretty good wave forecast site:
http://cdip.ucsd.edu/models/wave.model.shtml

Faster Daddy
01-08-2004, 04:49 PM
Bad?? Hell no! Looks like fun, full throttle into those babies :D But seriously, looks good to me, 10kt wind is light and they are calling for 2ft or less wind wave, should be a good day for a ride and to air that boat out a little :cool:

Starloans
01-08-2004, 04:52 PM
Nashville........5-7 ft swells are great if want some good seat time. Just make sure if your kids ride in the bow they wear life jackets!!!! :D :D :D

Faster Daddy
01-08-2004, 05:08 PM
Hope you guys have a good time. Let me know if anybody is up for next Saturday. I want to launch out of O'side if I can find a spot to park the truck & trailer.:cool:
I'll go. I'll even help you get that trailer parked. Sorry you can't make it this week.

Starloans
01-08-2004, 05:23 PM
Hey Faster can you go over to the "Prop" thread and give Goose your opinion on his setup. He has a 24 Lavey that he recently upgraded. I already gave him my worthless opinion. :D :D
BTW...I drove to Onterio today and going by Tom's farms my car thermometer said 82*. Damn it was nice today. Too bad it can't be that warm at the coast. What was the temp today in Chicago???? :confused:

NashvilleBound
01-08-2004, 05:37 PM
I guess its just me and a friend, and were good to go.
StarLoans, You going? Do you need us to get you when we roll through town? Actually going Gopher Canyon, meeting at the park and ride just off the freeway.
So whats the ETA in conditions like that? 1 hour?

Starloans
01-08-2004, 05:42 PM
Nashville, thanks for the offer. I can meet you at the park and ride. What route are you planning to go accross on? 76 or 78? From Escondildo I usually take the freeway 78 across. Let me know.
Dave

NashvilleBound
01-08-2004, 07:20 PM
Nashville, thanks for the offer. I can meet you at the park and ride. What route are you planning to go accross on? 76 or 78? From Escondildo I usually take the freeway 78 across. Let me know.
Dave
Dave, Were going to take the 76 as the second boat going lives right over the hill to the West. 8:15 at the Park and Ride. Were you going to ride over to the island in my sled or Brians? Either way I need a co-pilot.:D
Jeff

Sun burners
01-08-2004, 07:39 PM
Is there a sign up sheet on whos going, when from where?
Anyone cruisinig the coast bar hoping?
Need to take my boat out since I brought it back to SO CAL!
Thanks Mike

Starloans
01-08-2004, 07:51 PM
I'll meet you at the Gopher Canyon I 15 park & ride at 8:15. We are still talking about Sunday right?
As far as who I'm riding with...dosen't matter to me. I don't know if Brian is taking anyone. We can figure it out when we get to the ramp. I'll bring the GPS and marine radio. And oh yeah....some beer. :D

Starloans
01-08-2004, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by Sun burners
Is there a sign up sheet on whos going, when from where?
Anyone cruisinig the coast bar hoping?
Need to take my boat out since I brought it back to SO CAL!
Thanks Mike
Sunburner.....no signup sheet. However you must have at least 24 cans of beer onboard your boat at the ramp. :D
Actually, I don't think we will be cruising the coast. From Oceanside (North San Diego County) we usually run straight to Catalina. Do some drinking there. Then again, I'm not driving cause I don't have a friggin boat this weekend. :eek: I feel like I'm thumbing a ride or should be wearing a skirt! :eek: I do appreciate everyones offer for a seat on the trip this weekend.
I'm not sure about the boys from Orange County & L A.

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
01-08-2004, 09:55 PM
Anyone know the waypoints for Avalon, I need to set up my GPS on the boat.

Starloans
01-08-2004, 10:05 PM
I have lat & Lon if that will help.
N33.345
W188.320

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
01-08-2004, 10:14 PM
Thanks starloans,
Hay Sun Burners, I'm going leave out of the dunes in newport saturday at around 900 AM

Starloans
01-08-2004, 10:17 PM
Ah shit.
That should be
W118.320
Not 188.320
Sorry :confused:

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
01-08-2004, 10:21 PM
Hay star are you tring to send me to Hawaii :)

Starloans
01-08-2004, 10:25 PM
Sorry, I'm a dork.

Sun burners
01-08-2004, 10:26 PM
Anybody going out of Long Beach?

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
01-08-2004, 10:38 PM
Sun B are you going over on saturday or sunday

Sun burners
01-08-2004, 10:43 PM
Trying to figure out if one or the other will work out for me,
maybe just cruising the coast if I cannot get out early enough.

Faster Daddy
01-08-2004, 11:34 PM
As far as who I'm riding with...dosen't matter to me. I don't know if Brian is taking anyone.
Starloans I've also invited a couple of friends to ride, told tham I'd have a bartender on board :D but I guess they won't be that disappointed if you ride along with Nashville (they'll just have to serve themselves). In either case I will still let you buy my beer at lunch.

NashvilleBound
01-09-2004, 05:39 AM
I'll meet you at the Gopher Canyon I 15 park & ride at 8:15. We are still talking about Sunday right?
As far as who I'm riding with...dosen't matter to me. I don't know if Brian is taking anyone. We can figure it out when we get to the ramp. I'll bring the GPS and marine radio. And oh yeah....some beer. :D
Sunday??? I thought we were going today?? JK... Sunday morning, 8:15. Oh, and the skirt idea.....Uh, no. Course I haven't seen your legs yet :eek: :eek!:

beer hunter
01-09-2004, 01:55 PM
Havasu Luvr, are you still going out tomorrow from Newport @ 9:00am?:)

Havasu Luvr
01-09-2004, 02:25 PM
Mike, I'll be there around 9am....should put me in Catalina approx 10:30am.. You still going? I believe a few other will launch from the Dunes....Shake Yo Azz and a few of his buds

Starloans
01-09-2004, 03:52 PM
Hey Faster...do you have an updated forecast for this weekend??? :D

beer hunter
01-09-2004, 04:46 PM
Hey Faster...do you have an updated forecast for this weekend??? :D
Here's the current forecast for the Catalina area:)
INNER WATERS FROM POINT MUGU TO SAN MATEO POINT-
300 PM PST FRI JAN 9 2004
.TONIGHT...W WIND 10 TO 15 KT EARLY...BECOMING VARIABLE 10 KT OR
LESS. WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS. W SWELL 4 TO 6 FT AT 11 SECONDS.
.SAT...E WIND 10 KT IN THE MORNING...BECOMING VARIABLE 10 KT OR
LESS. WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS. W SWELL 6 TO 8 FT AT 11 SECONDS.
.SAT NIGHT...WIND VARIABLE 10 KT OR LESS...BECOMING NW 10 KT
OVERNIGHT. WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS. W SWELL 5 TO 7 FT AT 11 SECONDS.
.SUN...NE WIND 10 KT. WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS. W SWELL 5 TO 7 FT.
.SUN NIGHT...N WIND 10 KT IN THE EVENING...BECOMING VARIABLE 10 KT
OR LESS. WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS. W SWELL 4 TO 6 FT.

beer hunter
01-09-2004, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Havasu Luvr
Mike, I'll be there around 9am....should put me in Catalina approx 10:30am.. You still going?
I plan to, at this point I don't have anyone going with me so it may be a little interesting trying to launch and retrieve the boat:)

Havasu Luvr
01-09-2004, 04:59 PM
I plan to, at this point I don't have anyone going with me so it may be a little interesting trying to launch and retrieve the boat:)
If we are there I will help ya out.... Hmmmm? No takers for a ride along??? :rolleyes: "City Folk" :eek:

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
01-09-2004, 08:29 PM
havasu luvr, I should get to the dunes about 830 or 900. My other friends boats are not ready so one of them will ride with me. Hope i will see you there.

beer hunter
01-09-2004, 09:09 PM
HL, I found a crew so we'll see you in the morning :cool:

Starloans
01-09-2004, 09:13 PM
Hey Beer Hunter and Havasu lvr....are you guys going Sunday also?

beer hunter
01-09-2004, 09:25 PM
Hey Beer Hunter and Havasu lvr....are you guys going Sunday also?
I'm not :( I'll post some pics of the run on Saturday, and you guys post pics of the Sunday run so we'll both know what we were missing:D We need to all hook up and go over in one big group (15 to 20+ boats) sometime this year for a "Catalina Forum Run":D :D :D

Starloans
01-09-2004, 09:27 PM
You got it. I will take my camera.

Lakeshow
01-09-2004, 10:24 PM
I am planning on running in the San Diego Bay tomorrow. Anyone know where there is a launch site with wash down area (hose bib)?

Starloans
01-09-2004, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by Lakeshow
I am planning on running in the San Diego Bay tomorrow. Anyone know where there is a launch site with wash down area (hose bib)?
HEY CAN I GO????????????@!!!!!!!!
I'll show you where they are!!!!!!!

Lakeshow
01-09-2004, 10:40 PM
Starloans I sent you a PM.
Forgot to mention that I snatched the labbed 28 off of your boat this afternoon at DCB.
Took my boat out to Vincente and ran out of lake at 78 on my lab 26. Dave was driving and he thought we would have gotten 82 as we were still accelerating.
I cant wait to see how it will run with the 28.:D

Sun burners
01-09-2004, 10:45 PM
.SAT...E WIND 10 KT IN THE MORNING...BECOMING VARIABLE 10 KT OR
LESS. WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS. W SWELL 6 TO 8 FT AT 11 SECONDS.
.SAT NIGHT...WIND VARIABLE 10 KT OR LESS...BECOMING NW 10 KT
.SUN...NE WIND 10 KT. WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS. W SWELL 5 TO 7 FT.
.SUN NIGHT...N WIND 10 KT IN THE EVENING...BECOMING VARIABLE 10 KT
OR LESS. WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS. W SWELL 4 TO 6 FT. [/B][/QUOTE]
So is this good water?
Family fun or go with drinking buddies?

Starloans
01-09-2004, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by Lakeshow
Starloans I sent you a PM.
Forgot to mention that I snatched the labbed 28 off of your boat this afternoon at DCB.
Took my boat out to Vincente and ran out of lake at 78 on my lab 26. Dave was driving and he thought we would have gotten 82 as we were still accelerating.
I cant wait to see how it will run with the 28.:D
No shit. I would have thought you would be truning a 30 +. WOW. You tested with a 26? With the hp #s you sent I was thinking bigger prop.
The 28 was a loaner but I'm sure I'm going to have to have one.
Did the FUN RANGERS give you a hard time at San V? :D

Lakeshow
01-09-2004, 11:02 PM
No Fun Ranger issues - shut it down before we went around the point.
As for the speed and prop size - that 28 is a beast = heavy and it does not like going over 85-90.
HP:Speed ratio is really poor from 80 on.

Faster Daddy
01-10-2004, 03:13 AM
Starloans, Nashville
See you guys at the ramp 9:30 - 10:00 Sunday, I'll be gone Saturday so if there are any change in plans leave me a message on my cell. I'm looking forward to it :cool:

NashvilleBound
01-10-2004, 05:53 AM
Gotcha. Were trying to get there little early so if someone else needs a hand launching we can get to it and make a quick gettaway....at least thats the plan.

beer hunter
01-10-2004, 07:00 AM
So is this good water?
Family fun or go with drinking buddies?
1) Not realy, but not bad. The wind chop looks good, but the swells are large and closely spaced @ 11 sec, so this will probably keep the speeds way down for most of the run :)
2) Your call, I plan on drinking ;)

Starloans
01-10-2004, 08:28 AM
Starloans, Nashville
See you guys at the ramp 9:30 - 10:00 Sunday, I'll be gone Saturday so if there are any change in plans leave me a message on my cell. I'm looking forward to it :cool:
I'll be there. :D

cola
01-10-2004, 04:34 PM
Well how did the surf look today boys.
Late, Mike

NashvilleBound
01-10-2004, 05:01 PM
Ya, I'm interested in that too. I spent ALL day cleaning the truck and boat just to make them look respectable....since Starloan has his new DCB its like him slumming it:D :D Well....

cola
01-10-2004, 05:30 PM
Your 500 whipped will walk the poor 525 :D so don't worry. lol
Late, Mike

beer hunter
01-10-2004, 05:37 PM
The water was great!:D I'll post pics later :D

beer hunter
01-10-2004, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by titties and beer
MIKE (BH)YOU SUCK:D i can't wait to come down and go again,but i want to stay the night next time ,so i can get realy drunk and fill like shit on the way home;) :D
Sounds like fun Mark :D We'll definately have to do a weekend trip this summer :cool:

Sun burners
01-10-2004, 06:14 PM
I went out and did some shore patrol, Got some air and had some lunch. Catalina for an over night trip sounds good!

NashvilleBound
01-10-2004, 07:58 PM
The water was great!:D I'll post pics later :D
THATS what I wanted to hear! Since tomorrow is almost a repeat.

Steamin' Rice
01-10-2004, 09:37 PM
We're planning to head out tomorrow morning and will keep an eye out for some of your guys.....Hopefully it's a repeat of today

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
01-10-2004, 10:03 PM
havasu luvr, sorry i missed you. I hope you had a good ride over to catalina. I didnt get to the dunes until 1100, so I just played out between newport and huntington and had lunch at HOOTERS :) The water was great. Maybe next weekend we can try to make another run.

shockwavebd
01-10-2004, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by Steamin' Rice
We're planning to head out tomorrow morning and will keep an eye out for some of your guys.....Hopefully it's a repeat of today
See ya out there greg:D

MarkyMark
01-10-2004, 10:23 PM
Hey Sun Burner is the boat staying down here for the winter? I'm about ready to tow mine home just so I can play. Over nighter at Catalina sounds like a plan. I have a four day weeked coming up on Jan 23-26.

Sun burners
01-11-2004, 01:07 PM
I will have the boat in SOCAL for a while.
Will you be in Havasu for the fireworks?
Need to try the OCEAN a few more times
Mike

Faster Daddy
01-11-2004, 06:27 PM
Shockwavebd
Was that you on the shoreboat today? Big guy, really ugly? LOL :D
How was your run back? We had a great ride back until the wall of fog 5 miles out from the harbor. It actually pelted rain for a few minutes. WTF
Nashville had a great time, hope your up to it again sometime - or maybe beers at the sandbar. And a big thanks to Dave (starloans) for lunch. BTW, Dave post your pics.

hurleyr
01-11-2004, 07:23 PM
Let's see some pics! :D :D :D

cola
01-11-2004, 07:33 PM
We had a blast. Havasu is fun, but the ocean is like the ultimate driving experience. (on a good day) Faster, Starloans & crew it was nice to meet you on the island. We will have to launch from Oceanside & run with you very soon. I will post some pics later.
Late, Mike&Kim

Steamin' Rice
01-11-2004, 08:32 PM
Shockwavebd
Was that you on the shoreboat today? Big guy, really ugly? LOL :D
How was your run back? We had a great ride back until the wall of fog 5 miles out from the harbor. It actually pelted rain for a few minutes. WTF
Nashville had a great time, hope your up to it again sometime - or maybe beers at the sandbar. And a big thanks to Dave (starloans) for lunch. BTW, Dave post your pics.
That was him.... I was the other ugly guy next to him on the shoreboat.... :D Good to see you guys..

cola
01-11-2004, 09:41 PM
one pic. I need to go to bed
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/529steamedrice_WEB-med.jpg

Starloans
01-11-2004, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by cola
We had a blast. Havasu is fun, but the ocean is like the ultimate driving experience. (on a good day) Faster, Starloans & crew it was nice to meet you on the island. We will have to launch from Oceanside & run with you very soon. I will post some pics later.
Late, Mike&Kim
Good to meet you and the wife too cola. Nice ride too. I got about 35-40 good pics of our crew, whales blowing, boats in the air and FOG. I'll post one now also. I can barely type I'm so wore out. A big thanks to Nashville, Shannon and Faster for the ride over. I had a great time. I'll post pics tomorrow. The GF is going to touch up the pics for me. :D I got some sun too. :cool:
Shannon & Nashville returning to Oside.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/438Catalina_1-11-04_051-med.jpg

NashvilleBound
01-12-2004, 07:07 AM
It was a pleasure meeting everyone also. The ride out was a little rough but hot-dogging it back was a hoot. Catching air like that would be addicting. The whale and dolphin siting was cool but the fog LAGGED! WTF? Looked like a Powell storm. And when you got into it without GPS I think I would be in Mexico about now. I still wish we had some water to really open it up for more than a few seconds. I'll post some pics later too...
Thanks for the invite...and GPS;)
NB

Havasu Cig
01-12-2004, 10:15 AM
I drove by O'side Harbor after breakfast and saw your trailers parked there. Hope everybody had a good time.
We are set for next Saturday. If anybody else is going let us know. I think we are going to stay overnight at Catalina.:cool:

Faster Daddy
01-12-2004, 11:18 PM
I drove by O'side Harbor after breakfast and saw your trailers parked there. Hope everybody had a good time.
We are set for next Saturday. If anybody else is going let us know. I think we are going to stay overnight at Catalina.:cool:
I'm up for Saturday, what time are you planning on heading out?
Starloans, Nashville, Cola, Steamin' Rice where are the photos?

Starloans
01-12-2004, 11:23 PM
I'm up for Saturday, what time are you planning on heading out?
Starloans, Nashville, Cola, Steamin' Rice where are the photos?
Keep your panties on!!!! I working on it as hard as I can. :eek:

Starloans
01-13-2004, 12:02 AM
Ok...they are up on the Catalina Sunday run thread. Let me know what you think.
Dave

Faster Daddy
01-13-2004, 01:19 AM
Thanks for the pics........but, I still don't have any showing air under the hull :D
Hope the ride back didn't kick your ass too much, I'll let you get payback and take me for a ride in that beater you run. LOL :eek:

Havasu Cig
01-13-2004, 07:57 AM
We will probably launch about 9:00 or 10:00. I will let you know as the weekend gets closer.

Starloans
01-13-2004, 08:50 AM
Thanks for the pics........but, I still don't have any showing air under the hull :D
Hope the ride back didn't kick your ass too much, I'll let you get payback and take me for a ride in that beater you run. LOL :eek:
I was a little bit sore yesterday. Riding is different than driving.
Damn it. I remember that one pic of your boat. A half second after the pic you did air it out. I need more practice with the camera.
Can't wait to get my beater out of the shop so we can take it to the island. LOL
So you think we can get Nashville and Shanon to go with us again?

Sun burners
01-13-2004, 10:35 PM
[B]Thanks for the pics........but, I still don't have any showing air under the hull :D
Make sure you get the one with the PROP showing!

Havasu Cig
01-14-2004, 07:56 AM
You mean a pic like this:D :D
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid93/pb405b62292a8bd0032dc9cfff8524465/fa4839d0.jpg

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
01-14-2004, 10:51 AM
nice pic, Havasu Cig. Anyone know the wind wave & swell report for this weekend. I plan on going over to Catalina Sat or/and Sun

kevnmcd
01-14-2004, 11:40 AM
Shake - Here is what they are saying today.
PZZ750-142230-
COASTAL WATERS FROM SAN MATEO POINT TO THE MEXICAN BORDER AND OUT
30 NM-
830 AM PST WED JAN 14 2004
.TODAY...WIND VARIABLE LESS THAN 10 KT BECOMING NW 10 KT IN THE
AFTERNOON. WIND WAVES 1 FT OR LESS. W SWELL 4 FT AT 13 SECONDS.
.TONIGHT...NW WIND 10 KT IN THE EVENING BECOMING SE LESS THAN 10 KT.
WIND WAVES 1 FT OR LESS. W SWELL 4 FT AT 12 SECONDS. PATCHY FOG
AFTER MIDNIGHT WITH VISIBILITIES LESS THAN 1 NM.
.THU...SE WIND LESS THAN 10 KT BECOMING SW 10 KT IN THE AFTERNOON.
WIND WAVES 1 FT OR LESS. W SWELL 4 FT AT 15 SECONDS. PATCHY FOG IN
THE MORNING.
.THU NIGHT...SE WIND LESS THAN 10 KT. WIND WAVES 1 FT OR LESS. W
SWELL 5 FT. AREAS OF FOG.
.FRI...SW WIND LESS THAN 10 KT BECOMING NE 10 KT. WIND WAVES 1 FT OR
LESS. W SWELL 6 FT. AREAS OF FOG IN THE MORNING.
.SAT...N WIND 10 KT IN THE MORNING BECOMING VARIABLE LESS THAN 10
KT. WIND WAVES 1 FT OR LESS. W SWELL 5 FT.
.SUN...SE WIND 10 KT BECOMING SW IN THE AFTERNOON. WIND WAVES 1 FT.
W SWELL 7 FT.

Faster Daddy
01-14-2004, 06:35 PM
You mean a pic like this:D :D
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid93/pb405b62292a8bd0032dc9cfff8524465/fa4839d0.jpg
Now thats what I'm talking about! AWESOME photo. :cool: Starloans your fired as official photographer, Cig give me the name of yours.
Just got back in from a whale watching run, loaded the boat with kids and cruised for a couple of hours - didn't even see 1 dolphin :( Kids didn't care too much as I promised them Ice Cream if we didn't see anything. Guess I'll just have to try again.
See ya Saturday

Starloans
01-14-2004, 07:22 PM
Now thats what I'm talking about! AWESOME photo. :cool: Starloans your fired as official photographer, Cig give me the name of yours.
Just got back in from a whale watching run, loaded the boat with kids and cruised for a couple of hours - didn't even see 1 dolphin :( Kids didn't care too much as I promised them Ice Cream if we didn't see anything. Guess I'll just have to try again.
See ya Saturday
FIRED?????????
I never saw you do that trick!!!! :eek!:
You're taking too much time off lately. That's starting to piss me off. You can come over to my place and give me a hand damn it!
Jesus christ, you put more hours on your boat in the winter than most people do in the summer. :) I must be doing something wrong. Well, its after 7 pm and I gotta get back to work. :cry:
It sure was a nice day today.

Havasu Cig
01-16-2004, 08:58 AM
Faster - Are you going out of Oceanside tomorrow? We should be at the launch ramp around 9:00 and are planning on staying overnight at Catalina. Hope to see you down there! :D
Anybody else going to Catalina on Saturday?

Faster Daddy
01-16-2004, 12:13 PM
Faster - Are you going out of Oceanside tomorrow? We should be at the launch ramp around 9:00 and are planning on staying overnight at Catalina. Hope to see you down there! :D
Anybody else going to Catalina on Saturday?
I'll try to get there a little early in case you need help parking/ride back to ramp.

Havasu Cig
01-16-2004, 04:43 PM
Cool, I will see you there.