PDA

View Full Version : My new 25 only runs 60mph ????????

25 Outlaw 502
06-14-2001, 08:55 AM
Bought a new Baja 25 outlaw with 502 mpi. The posted speeds by Baja were 63-65. I have a Merc mirage Plus 23 pitch prop that came with the boat. I have never seen more than 62 mph indicated on the Gafrig Monster Speedo and that was at about 4350 rpm. Full of gas and 4 people it won't even plane without using the trim tabs. I am looking for some help whether it could be the motor, propped wrong or if that is really all the boat will do. I got really frustrated with the article in last months hot boat with the 28 Velocity. The velocity has the same 24 degree rise pad bottom is 1'6" longer, same beam, and weighs 100# more but ran 67 mph on radar. I got 59.6 on GPS WOT with 3/4 tank of fuel and 2 people. I love the ride comfort and look of the boat and it starts every time. (This is a new concept from my old boat.) If the speed I am getting is all she's got that is fine. I feel that with "415hp" on tap it should be doing a little better. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks you all!!!!!!!!!
[This message has been edited by 25 Outlaw 502 (edited June 14, 2001).]

Dave1972
06-14-2001, 10:12 AM
Hey Outlaw, Sounds like you have a definite problem. It sounds like you are running pretty high RPM's...I don't think that you're running a true 5300 as the rev limiter should kick in right around 5200. You should definitely switch to a different prop. Your planing problem has me baffled as a smaller pitch should bring you out of the hole faster. Since your boat is a little heavy, I would suggest a four blade 25P prop. Possibly a Hydromotive QIV???
Hope this helps!!
Dave

25 Outlaw 502
06-14-2001, 10:45 AM
Dave thank you for your input and I am correcting my RPM. Meant to type 4300 RPM vice 5300 RPM, I guess I need to go back and take another typing class at my old high school.
Hope this helps!!
Dave[/B][/QUOTE]

Dave1972
06-14-2001, 01:49 PM
Outlaw,
I would say that there is something wrong with your motor. You are only running 4350 RPM at WOT with two in the boat and 3/4 tank??? That motor should be revving much higher with only a 23P three blade. I would take it back to a qualified Mercruiser shop and have them take a look at it. A new motor might need some break in time before you're able to turn more RPM. You might want to go through and check some of the basics (spark plug gap, wires, rotor, cap). Do you have enough fresh air for the boat to breathe?? Your planing problem sounds like a loss of power. You should be pushing that 23P at close to 4800 RPM or more!! Good luck and let me know how it turns out!!
Dave

25 Outlaw 502
06-15-2001, 05:43 AM
Originally posted by Dave1972:
Outlaw,
Dave, thanks again for your response. The beast will go in monday for service. I needed a few other waranty items fixed you know it doesn't matter how new the boat is stuff still breaks. Anyway to answer your question about airflow, I had replaced the stock air cleaner with an Arizona Speed and Marine Billet K & N filter and nothing changed from stock. Anyway I will let you know what the service yields and maybe someone else will benefit from this experience. If you are ever going to be in northern Florida with you boat let me know and good luck with your ventilating problem.
Larry (AKA 25 Outlaw 502)
Dave